Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
So Armada has a campaign play box set coming out, and FFG has just announced a sort of co-op/competitive campaign set for Netrunner which has some Legacy-ish sounding elements in it. When are we going to see a full-fledged campaign play set for X-Wing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Good luck to any other goons headed to Omaha tomorrow!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

If you like X-Wings you gonna like Rogue 1. The Second Best Korean cut of the trailer has a few extra shots of cool X-Wing poo poo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OU-ugH7fppA

E:

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Nov 12, 2016

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
My Gonzati is missing the radar dish :(

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Recoome posted:

They'll send you one I bet.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Captain Rex crew and Jan crew are probably not worth four points to maybe get an evade. What about Chewie with Rex and C3-P0, with Jan on another nearby ship? Probably still not worth it.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Recoome posted:

The store at which I work gets a bunch of scratch & dent items shipped to us, and every time a Gozanti shows up it always has the same issue, without fail: the radar dish on top is always broken off.

Most times the box isn't even dented. Those radar dishes are just way too fragile.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Went 3-3 and came in 25th at the Omaha Regional. Highest placed 3-3.

Went with:

Resistance Sympathizer (38)
Hotshot Co-pilot (4)
Smuggling Compartment (0)
Black Market Slider Tools (1)

Jess Pava (25)
R2 Astromech (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)
Sensor Cluster (2)

Red Squadron Veteran (26)
R2 Astromech (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)
Adaptability (0)
Sensor Cluster (2)

Total: 100

Lost to the eventual top seed in Swiss to start, lost to Gavin Norman running a shitload of Cluster Mines (I rolled 18 times for them that game, and hit 15). Beat a Jonus/Rhymer/Deathrain list like a rented mule. Lost to a Nien/Rey by less than a millimeter on range so Rey (with two hull) could pick off my one hull Jess without taking the fire from the Sympathizer, and pick it off the next turn. Beat a bizarre Poe/Arvel/Braylen list that still managed to do 7 damage with one Cluster Mine (daily tally: 21 of 24 hits rolled). Then whipped the poo poo out of a Vader/Backdraft/Quickdraw list 100-0.

End result: I think I need practice against better lists, but I was comfortably eviscerating anything remotely subpar (except Gavin, buy that game was loving stupid and hilarious).

I think I can make a deep run into the next Regionals in KC in December.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Just got Heroes. Thinking of running this at Casual night on Monday.

Pilots
------

Nien Nunb (37)
T-70 X-Wing (29), R3-A2 (2), Pattern Analyzer (2), Snap Shot (2), Autothrusters (2)

Rey (60)
YT-1300 (45), Lone Wolf (2), Finn (5), Kanan Jarrus (3), Millennium Falcon (Segnor's Loop Version) (1), Engine Upgrade (4)

Should I trim the fat and fit a bandit in?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Strobe posted:

Went 3-3 and came in 25th at the Omaha Regional. Highest placed 3-3.

Went with:

Resistance Sympathizer (38)
Hotshot Co-pilot (4)
Smuggling Compartment (0)
Black Market Slider Tools (1)

Jess Pava (25)
R2 Astromech (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)
Sensor Cluster (2)

Red Squadron Veteran (26)
R2 Astromech (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)
Adaptability (0)
Sensor Cluster (2)

Lost to the eventual top seed in Swiss to start, lost to Gavin Norman running a shitload of Cluster Mines (I rolled 18 times for them that game, and hit 15). Beat a Jonus/Rhymer/Deathrain list like a rented mule. Lost to a Nien/Rey by less than a millimeter on range so Rey (with two hull) could pick off my one hull Jess without taking the fire from the Sympathizer, and pick it off the next turn. Beat a bizarre Poe/Arvel/Braylen list that still managed to do 7 damage with one Cluster Mine (daily tally: 21 of 24 hits rolled). Then whipped the poo poo out of a Vader/Backdraft/Quickdraw list 100-0.

End result: I think I need practice against better lists, but I was comfortably eviscerating anything remotely subpar (except Gavin, buy that game was loving stupid and hilarious).

I think I can make a deep run into the next Regionals in KC in December.

I kinda want to see that monster cluster mine list.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Went 0-3 on my first tournament in forever. While I messed up a fair bit, I'm not really impressed by how the game seems to have a huge powercreep seeping in, especially in the last few waves.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Introduced 3 new people to the game last night.

Squads were Vader and 2 named TIES and RAC vs Han, Luke, and Biggs. Everything was built really unoptimized for simplicity and low interactions. We played in teams with one player taking the big ships and the other taking the fighters, and the Rebels got smoked. They had a great time and want to make it a regular game night, though they don't want to play without all my acrylic bling and fancy mats and stuff now, so maybe the gift of the starter was a waste.

Flying casual is real fun and I will probably do what that other poster is doing with his gal and kind of roll things out semi-sequentially (RAC would have been Fett but I couldn't find the baseplate as I was building squads)

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

And I just whiffed 3 5 dices attacks. In a row. 0-4. I think I'm not going to play this game anymore.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Fly casual.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Iceclaw posted:

And I just whiffed 3 5 dices attacks. In a row. 0-4. I think I'm not going to play this game anymore.

Dice mods > raw dice.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Iceclaw posted:

I did that my first time playing too. There is a reason I had munitions failsafe on Jake Farrell til autothrusters came out

KO Derf
Jan 14, 2003

Doctor Rope

Strobe posted:

Dice mods > raw dice.
This is really something that should be hammered into people.
Just taking a Focus, your odds are always better.
((ATK * .5) + (ATK * .25)) > ((ATK+1) * .5)

In other words, don't boost into Range 1 if you have a 4 Dice Primary, take Focus. The possibility of 5 damage is tempting, but less variance is a good thing.

Also, it's okay to take Target Lock sometimes if you think your dice are betraying you.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

KO Derf posted:

This is really something that should be hammered into people.
Just taking a Focus, your odds are always better.
((ATK * .5) + (ATK * .25)) > ((ATK+1) * .5)

In other words, don't boost into Range 1 if you have a 4 Dice Primary, take Focus. The possibility of 5 damage is tempting, but less variance is a good thing.

Also, it's okay to take Target Lock sometimes if you think your dice are betraying you.

There's an equivalence point going from 2 dice to 3 where this isn't strictly true, and you have an expected average of 1.5 hits either way but 3 dice has a higher peak that you probably want to move toward.

Once you hit 3 dice focus is always better.

KO Derf
Jan 14, 2003

Doctor Rope

Strobe posted:

There's an equivalence point going from 2 dice to 3 where this isn't strictly true, and you have an expected average of 1.5 hits either way but 3 dice has a higher peak that you probably want to move toward.

Once you hit 3 dice focus is always better.

You're right if you are flying a 2 dice ship you want range 1 more than a focus.

Sorry, haven't flown TIE fighters in a while.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

I did that my first time playing too. There is a reason I had munitions failsafe on Jake Farrell til autothrusters came out

I had it on the two A Wing. As well as a focus. I just got 5 blanks each time. No eyes or hit, just 5 blank sides facing me. And one of the ships didn't got to shoot again because his Ghost got all of the crits in its retaliatory strike and overkilled my ship. :argh:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
If they're on an A-wing, Prockets should always get a TL + focus. That much investment in terms of points (five, on an A-wing!) is something that you should definitely take an extra turn to set up if you can't pull off maneuver and focus+TL on the same turn.

Also generally speaking you shouldn't be worrying about offense if you're at range 1 in front of a Ghost, just token up and hope you don't die.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Apparently someone at the wisc regional got DQ'd for playing with a mangler cannon he never put on his squad sheet or something.

Edit: his list was 100points he just didnt write the card on his sheet and got DQd

banned from Starbucks fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Nov 13, 2016

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
He didn't write it on the paper list, but it was included in his list otherwise. With Mangler he was at 100 points, which is what he told his opponent.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

canyonero posted:

He didn't write it on the paper list, but it was included in his list otherwise. With Mangler he was at 100 points, which is what he told his opponent.

And he got DQ'd? This is why games need smart judges, not just just any joe that can read the rules.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

ConfusedUs posted:

I kinda want to see that monster cluster mine list.

Emon Azzameen (36)
Andrasta (0)
Tractor Beam (1)
Cluster Mines (4)
Cluster Mines (4)
Cluster Mines (4)
Ketsu Onyo (1)
Rigged Cargo Chute (1)
Guidance Chips (0)

IG-88B (36)
Crack Shot (1)
Tractor Beam (1)
Advanced Sensors (3)
Proton Bombs (5)
Rigged Cargo Chute (1)
Autothrusters (2)
IG-2000 (0)

It's dumb, and literally the only reason I lost is I rolled 15 hits on 18 Cluster Mine dice.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Man that really sucks.

Went 2-3 at the last round of Guardians of Tyr today.

I really like Hangar Bay because of the variety. I really dislike it because of the ease with which the choice of lists becomes just another thing to second guess when you go wrong.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006

goodness posted:

And he got DQ'd? This is why games need smart judges, not just just any joe that can read the rules.

Yeah it was the round of 16. They only figured it out because someone of the twitch stream asked.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

goodness posted:

If it was past the first round he definitely should've been DQed. Otherwise it was definitely an overreaction.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Strobe posted:

Emon Azzameen (36)
Andrasta (0)
Tractor Beam (1)
Cluster Mines (4)
Cluster Mines (4)
Cluster Mines (4)
Ketsu Onyo (1)
Rigged Cargo Chute (1)
Guidance Chips (0)

IG-88B (36)
Crack Shot (1)
Tractor Beam (1)
Advanced Sensors (3)
Proton Bombs (5)
Rigged Cargo Chute (1)
Autothrusters (2)
IG-2000 (0)

It's dumb, and literally the only reason I lost is I rolled 15 hits on 18 Cluster Mine dice.

Haha that is dumb as hell. I figured it was k wings.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I'm kind of tickled by the notion that cluster mines might actually not be complete garbage now.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Literally the only reason I lost was lovely Cluster Mine rolls. His guns did four damage to me the entire game. FOUR loving DAMAGE.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

admanb posted:

If it was past the first round he definitely should've been DQed. Otherwise it was definitely an overreaction.

If nobody caught it past the first round then it was a simple error. It had no impact on the game right? So why should he be DQ'd unless he has a past of doing that.

goodness fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Nov 13, 2016

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
One of our local guys is 7-0 at San Diego regionals today with this list.

K-Wing: · Miranda Doni (29)
Extra Munitions (2)
Homing Missiles (5)
Twin Laser Turret (6)
Conner Net (4)
Ion Bombs (2)
Advanced SLAM (2)
· Sabine Wren (2)
Y-Wing: Gold Squadron Pilot (18)
Twin Laser Turret (6)
Twin Laser Turret (6)

All the bombs, all the time. :gibs:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

canyoneer posted:

One of our local guys is 7-0 at San Diego regionals today with this list.

K-Wing: · Miranda Doni (29)
Extra Munitions (2)
Homing Missiles (5)
Twin Laser Turret (6)
Conner Net (4)
Ion Bombs (2)
Advanced SLAM (2)
· Sabine Wren (2)
Twin Laser Turret (6)
Twin Laser Turret (6)

All the bombs, all the time. :gibs:

Personally I'd drop the Homing Missiles and swap them out for Seismic Charges on the two Y-Wings, but that's me.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
Homing have proven to be an OK counter to Defenders though.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

canyonero posted:

Homing have proven to be an OK counter to Defenders though.

Particularly when pumped up by Miranda's ability. For 4 points I'd rather have two homing missiles on Miranda than 2 seismic charges on the Ys

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I prefer my Homing Missiles on the Bossk Party Bus. With 4-LOM, Zuckuss and Guidance Chips providing the critical for Bossk's pilot ability, you're going to ruin a Defender's day.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Bossk with Homing Missiles and Crack Shot can auto-kill a TIE Fighter even if the TIE rolls perfectly. Homing Missiles force evade tokens out of the equation, Guidance Chips will make a crit a guarantee, and with three hits and a crit to split, it's five damage up against three evades and one gets Cracked.

I'm assuming stuff like this is why TIE Swarms aren't as popular anymore.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Yeah, and there are entire lists that are effectively immune to 2 dice attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

canyoneer posted:

Yeah, and there are entire lists that are effectively immune to 2 dice attacks.

I mean, that said, a six-TIE Swarm actually placed 10th at Omaha Regionals yesterday, so it's not dead it's just hard as poo poo.

• Locked thread