Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magres
Jul 14, 2011
:frogsiren: Frostgorge Sound Blood Week is upon us! :frogsiren:

(map bonus for FGS is powerful blood, charged lodestones, charged cores, and giant eyes, go farm the hell out of FGS events)

Magres fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Nov 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthnru
Apr 6, 2007

FUCK YOU GUYS. I'm out.

(it's not)

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Haha, that's amazing

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
Those wardrobe unlocks are really nice. Got about 1k golds worth out of three.

knowonecanknow
Apr 19, 2009

Ambition must be made to counteract ambition.

malhavok posted:

Those wardrobe unlocks are really nice. Got about 1k golds worth out of three.

If you have all the lower quality stuff unlocked is it worth it to buy keys?

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

knowonecanknow posted:

It is never worth it to buy keys.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Sprite141 posted:

It is never worth it to buy keys.

Wrong

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

He said buy not eat.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

knowonecanknow posted:

If you want completely random black lion skins sure. Just because you get expensive skins doesn't mean they are going to be stuff you want or can use, I got an sclerite axe skin unlock which was worth over 500g but i had zero intentions of ever buying it.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just used a birthday booster to boost myself to level 20

Now I'm lost as poo poo.

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
Avert ye eyes!

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

It is too late, mother. I have seen everything.

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Black Thursday was a disaster, plain and simple.
We lost too many good people, too many planes.
We can't let that kind of tragedy happen again.

Lonk posted:

Avert ye eyes!

...black rimmed-glasses? That really does clash with everything else

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Lonk posted:

Avert ye eyes!

REEEEEEEE

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/5cy1zl/guild_wars_2_heart_of_thorns_50_off_from_november/

If you were waiting for a sale on HoT, here's your chance.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Hey goonsquadders, I'm provisionally moving goomteq to the 3 hour post-reset teq. I feel that after DST ended, reset is way too early for anyone not in EST or Europe, and even then, it's pretty early for people in EST. HP train is still happening at 1 hour after reset on Tuesdays, tho.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Fair. Reset teq always blindsides me with how early it is. On the plus side, this means I might be able to make it more often! If I get out of work early anyway.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

I was just taking a look at this. I havent played since before HoT launched and havent heard much positive about the game since then. Lately though I just havent heard anything at all. How is the game doing these days?

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Well gently caress me sideways. I finally pull the trigger on buying HoT and now it loving goes on sale.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
Servers are exploding atm

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Infidel Castro posted:

Well gently caress me sideways. I finally pull the trigger on buying HoT and now it loving goes on sale.

If you bought it from them and file a support ticket they might be able to do something for you. A lot of places are pretty sympathetic to 'I just bought it and then it went on sale'.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Infidel Castro posted:

If you write support and you bought it just recently they will give you your money back.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

CoffeeBooze posted:

I was just taking a look at this. I havent played since before HoT launched and havent heard much positive about the game since then. Lately though I just havent heard anything at all. How is the game doing these days?

The game is great, HoT is hella great. The maps are big sprawling labyrinths with vertical and horizontal exploration, tons of secrets and challenges and a real sense of accomplishment when you realise you know the layouts so well you can move about freely without wondering where you are. I have literally never gotten that from map exploration in any MMO. WoW in particular fails spectacularly at this with every map being just a bumpy pancake without any layers.
The meta events are tons of fun. A big hour long event that culminates in a boss fight? sign me up!
Gliding is one of the best features in the MMO industry. (You can even use it in pre-HoT content!)

I have not played GW2 for long and i raced to max level and HoT after starting so i never really played the old game that much. After feeling i had explored HoT thoroughly i tried out the pre-HoT world a bit and it is so loving boring. The "events" are all almost soloable and does not chain into other things, the bosses are really boring (tequatl, shatterer, the norn drake) or completely overtuned (triple trouble)
I honestly don't understand how the game survived getting to HoT as the pre-HoT content is so boring.

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Nov 15, 2016

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

HoT was a bit more sketchy when it came out but they've done a good job of fine-tuning things over time. i haven't played in a while barring the living story updates but those were good, too

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Ineptitude posted:

I have not played GW2 for long and i raced to max level and HoT after starting so i never really played the old game that much. After feeling i had explored HoT thoroughly i tried out the pre-HoT world a bit and it is so loving boring. The "events" are all almost soloable and does not chain into other things, the bosses are really boring (tequatl, shatterer, the norn drake) or completely overtuned (triple trouble)
I honestly don't understand how the game survived getting to HoT as the pre-HoT content is so boring.

I'd say Triple Trouble is fine but I also run it every night with a guild that's literally for the purposes of running TT and we have to organize the poo poo out of it so maybe you have a point.

That said, if you wanna fill out your cheevs for it and you're on late night, the 2am (CST) triple trouble is almost always successful.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Ah yes TT the "open" world boss that's about guaranteed to fail if you don't jump through hoops with the limited means to organize people into big raids in this game, half an hour+ before it even starts, because ending up in an instance where half the map population is elsewhere doing hearts or RP events is not going to win TT.

But I think that's a general issue I have with GW2's design. Things tuned in a way that requires map hopping until you're in the right one pretty much defeats the purpose of having these events in the open to begin with. Put them into their own instances and let people enter them in an orderly fashion without map hopping and endless taxi attempts. I know that will make the people mad who are deluding themselves they're not playing a game that is related to WoW or FF14, but them's the breaks.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

I would't give two shits about Triple Trouble if it wasn't for the fact that it gives FIVE tyria mastery points, a currency which is already really god drat hard to get. In fact, if you do not buy Living Story 2 AND complete some of the big meta achievements there, you cannot get enough tyria mastery points without the Triple Trouble ones to cap your masteries.

This entire game is designed around "show up to event and be reasonably competent at playing your profession and dodging circles on the ground and you all will succeed" and then you have Triple Trouble which is an event in an open world leveling zone (so it naturally attracts a ton of players without good builds or gear) tuned for a perfectly executed organised raid.
I have been to ORGANISED events, by a guild literally formed to do TT (RnT), every day for a month without the raid killing a single head, let alone all 3 at the same time. I think the closest attempt at kiling all 3 was Amber at 5% and the other two heads at 10%. Virtually every single attempt sees a couple of heads at 5-10% though, which tells me that the event is overtuned. If they reduced their health by 10% there would be a reasonable amount of successful events (70-80%)
I have never seen a Tequatl, shatterer, dragons stand etc fail yet TT never succeeds so TT is in no way fine or balanced.

To be able to cap Tyria masteries i need to do the entirety of LS2, do 3 meta achievements in LS2, need to collect all the spoons, need to do the luminescent armor collection in silverwastes and need to explore the entire map (good god i cannot think of anything more boring)

I am an EU player playing on the US Goon server so the only TT raid i can participate in is the one at 21.00 my time (which is like 3 pm eastcoast USA) which is part of the problem i guess.

neongrey posted:

That said, if you wanna fill out your cheevs for it and you're on late night, the 2am (CST) triple trouble is almost always successful.

When is this in UTC?

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Nov 15, 2016

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

remember when the chak gerent event was infinitely worse and even a single momentary gently caress-up would lead to the entire event failing

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Ineptitude posted:

I would't give two shits about Triple Trouble if it wasn't for the fact that it gives FIVE tyria mastery points, a currency which is already really god drat hard to get. In fact, if you do not buy Living Story 2 AND complete some of the big meta achievements there, you cannot get enough tyria mastery points without the Triple Trouble ones to cap your masteries.

This entire game is designed around "show up to event and be reasonably competent at playing your profession and dodging circles on the ground and you all will succeed" and then you have Triple Trouble which is an event in an open world leveling zone (so it naturally attracts a ton of players without good builds or gear) tuned for a perfectly executed organised raid.
I have been to ORGANISED events, by a guild literally formed to do TT (RnT), every day for a month without the raid killing a single head, let alone all 3 at the same time. I think the closest attempt at kiling all 3 was Amber at 5% and the other two heads at 10%. Virtually every single attempt sees a couple of heads at 5-10% though, which tells me that the event is overtuned. If they reduced their health by 10% there would be a reasonable amount of successful events (70-80%)
I have never seen a Tequatl, shatterer, dragons stand etc fail so do NOT state that TT is in any way fine or balanced or working as intended.

To be able to cap Tyria masteries i need to do the entirety of LS2, do 3 meta achievements in LS2, need to collect all the spoons, need to do the luminescent armor collection in silverwastes and need to explore the entire map (good god i cannot think of anything more boring)

I am an EU player playing on the US Goon server so the only TT raid i can participate in is the one at 21.00 my time (which is like 3 pm eastcoast USA) which is part of the problem i guess.

http://ttsgamers.com/event-calendar/

Come to TTS, it's extremely rare we fail TT, hopefully you can make one of those times? :<

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Sekkira posted:

Come to TTS, it's extremely rare we fail TT, hopefully you can make one of those times? :<

Looks like it is a 4.30 to 5.30 AM my time. I suppose i can get up that early one time. Do i need to join TTS to participate?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Ineptitude posted:

I have never seen a Tequatl, shatterer, dragons stand etc fail yet TT never succeeds so TT is in no way fine or balanced.

When is this in UTC?

Oooh, yeah, the afternoon slot is awfullllllllll. Not much I can suggest if that's the only one you can make regularly. RnT are the guys I go with but it's our secondary timeslot. I do not understand how 2am is somehow more feasible than 2pm so very consistently. Nerds, I guess.

So, RnT mainslot will be at 9 am your time. We pretty much always succeed but that's clearly gonna be unreasonable for you.

Like to clarify: I don't disagree in the slightest that the fight needs better balance, but I'm very used to the encounter from the organizational side at a time that pulls numbers to win regularly, so I'm looking from a pretty different direction (among other things, the exact amount of error allowed, which much more than you're giving credit for). I also think you're extremely lucky to have never seen Shatterer or DS fail, DS in particular. I've had about one in three of those fizzle at the blighting towers.

neongrey fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Nov 15, 2016

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Sekkira posted:

Tbh I swore I would never touch TTS again after one of your commanders started playing bad 90s boy band music in the lobby and singing off tune to it. Good lord.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Ineptitude posted:

Looks like it is a 4.30 to 5.30 AM my time. I suppose i can get up that early one time. Do i need to join TTS to participate?

Nope. You'd be encouraged to do so, but you can just pug it if you want.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Magres posted:

Tbh I swore I would never touch TTS again after one of your commanders started playing bad 90s boy band music in the lobby and singing off tune to it. Good lord.

This is what motivates pugs not to fail. Do you really want to sit through that again?

Those of us who joined have seen too much and are too far gone.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

neongrey posted:

Oooh, yeah, the afternoon slot is awfullllllllll. Not much I can suggest if that's the only one you can make regularly. RnT are the guys I go with but it's our secondary timeslot. I do not understand how 2am is somehow more feasible than 2pm so very consistently. Nerds, I guess.

So, RnT mainslot will be at 9 am your time. We pretty much always succeed but that's clearly gonna be unreasonable for you.

9 AM isn't so bad. I can just go home instead of going to work after dropping my daughter off in kindergarden, then go to work at 10 AM instead (very flexible hours). How did you calculate it is 9 AM my time though? I have never been more confused with timezones in a MMO than this.
In WoW "server time" and all webpages you look at adjusts to your own time. In Eve Online every timer is always in GMT (+0). In GW2 they use GMT, UTC and PST interchangeably. These are not always aligned. GMT observes DST whereas UTC does not, for example (afaik)

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Sekkira posted:

This is what motivates pugs not to fail. Do you really want to sit through that again?

Those of us who joined have seen too much and are too far gone.

Yeah instead I muted him until the fight started, sabotaged the run (killed the head way early) so I could listen to him cry about people not listening, then did it the next day with a crew that didn't annoy me.

Singing over voip is tolerable if you keep it to like under ten seconds and can sing in tune and are singing a capella. People trying to do extended karaoke with a quarter second delay, singing to bad music, and singing out of tune should be shot.

Pissing off people in your boss group when any one of a few dozen people can anonymously torpedo the run just to spite you is not a good motivational strategy.

Magres fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Nov 15, 2016

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Ineptitude posted:

9 AM isn't so bad. I can just go home instead of going to work after dropping my daughter off in kindergarden, then go to work at 10 AM instead (very flexible hours). How did you calculate it is 9 AM my time though? I have never been more confused with timezones in a MMO than this.
In WoW "server time" and all webpages you look at adjusts to your own time. In Eve Online every timer is always in GMT (+0). In GW2 they use GMT, UTC and PST interchangeably. These are not always aligned. GMT observes DST whereas UTC does not, for example (afaik)

RnT has two slots, twelve hours apart; if you're making it to the one that rarely gets triples and it's 2100 for you, that's the off slot. Therefore the main slot is at 9am for you. Bonus for you too with that slot is that it's late enough that you can show up like 5-10 minutes early on a weekday and probably not even need to taxi in. Hell, you can show up late, we're usually in LFG after we split.

I don't love TTS' commanding style (I just don't think the fight needs voice comms at all) but if you show up for one of their runs they'll take care of you, same if you get one with EVOS who I think goes at the same time as TTS. Those are the three big guilds who run it regularly and anyone should be more than able to help you knock out your cheevs.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I've done all my TT in afternoon (really more like 1800 CET) slots with the "European" TTS group but that was in the months leading up to HoT and I never went back to do the new achievements after HoT's release.

There's room for error and I basically never saw a properly organized TT raid fail, but I've seen very close calls with TTS raids and a lot of failed attempts at 1-5% with mostly-organized raids. It's obviously better now with HoT power creep but in the end, "idling an hour before the event to make sure you have enough people on the right map" is what makes a huge difference and this is just stupid no matter what.

orcane fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Nov 15, 2016

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Yeah as someone who a couple of times a week is the one yelling at the zerg, I will say there's way more room for error than it feels like there is from the zerg side.

orcane posted:

but in the end, "idling an hour before the event to make sure you have enough people on the right map" is what makes a huge difference and this is just stupid no matter what.

This, I think, will never not be true. Even if for me I'm lucky because it usually shakes out at a time when I feel like just chilling for half an hour or so, doing a thing, and then going to bed shortly thereafter. The fact that it's a requirement, basically, is just a pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

tts is pretty set in their ways which gives them serious trouble adapting to situations, and is probably why their 10 man groups still havent cleared the raid yet

as far as triple trouble goes, i respect that they are actually able to get the ~100 odd people necessary to complete the event. whatever my feelings about some of the odd poo poo they do (like playing bad music and singing to it) i've had the music bot muted ever since i heard it. mesmer has me spoiled for good music

the real prize from triple trouble is spergwurm armor, but the drop rate is 1% and you need to get it 3 times for all 9 pieces

much like donald trump, TTS is accessible to the lowest common denominator, and if you can follow very basic instructions, you'll probably get your kill without any fuss

• Locked thread