Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

Afaict (which is not far, from Ireland on my phone) it's pretty all over the place yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
Chch is ok, was close to us but just rolled like a motherfucker. Won't be sleeping much tonight though.

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Funny, quake seems to be felt over the whole country, haven't really felt one like that from so far away. Power went out in Hawkes Bay, long rolling quake

Multiple aftershocks, up and down the main fault it looks like, just when it was supposed to be bedtime.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/86416268/severe-66-earthquake-hits-hamner-springs-felt-as-far-away-as-auckland

Some twitter pics of relatively serious damage in Welly, nothing from North Canty or Chch though which seems weird. Did we actually feel it worse up here?

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
Seems like it. That's bizarre.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

:siren: Civil defense warning 10 min ago, tsunami possible, people near coast in SI advised to move inland/to high ground :siren:

Robo Captain
Sep 28, 2013
Can someone come down and turn the alarm off at the school down the street, I wanna get to sleep tia

Kathleen
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Wafflecopper posted:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/86416268/severe-66-earthquake-hits-hamner-springs-felt-as-far-away-as-auckland

Some twitter pics of relatively serious damage in Welly, nothing from North Canty or Chch though which seems weird. Did we actually feel it worse up here?

apparently it was pretty bad down there too.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Anything which was vulnerable to a quake would have been knocked over in Christchurch over the last couple of years.

Tastes of Chicken
Jan 1, 2007

:vince:
We live on the side of a cliff like most people in Wellington so it's not the best feeling, wondering if we will end up crashing to our deaths somewhere in Aro Valley. I have to work early so if the shaking could stop that would be great.

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Looks like according to geonet 14 quakes above 5.0 between hamner and taupo in the last hour

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
i hate thisss

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Can it just loving stop please

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action
I have no hopes of sleeping tonight loving hell this is nerve wracking

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
it got revised back up

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Civil defence still saying to move inland too, tsunami alert now for E Coast of entire country incl Welly. No-one seems to care though? I'm halfway up Mt Vic with a group of scared Brits and a couple of elderly kiwi women. Have seen a handful of other people heading up too, everyone glad to find out they're not the only ones.

Kathleen
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
fuccck, i'm right by lyall bay. luckily, on the top of a giant hill.

JR ANTI SEX LEAGUE
Jul 9, 2010
I'm a sex worker and I was at work when it hit, and let me tell you there is nothing fun about wondering if the brothel you're in is about to collapse on you.

Robo Captain
Sep 28, 2013
All the sirens around seaview in the Hutt went off so everyone bailed and hooned up the Wainui Hill.

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

JR ANTI SEX LEAGUE posted:

I'm a sex worker and I was at work when it hit, and let me tell you there is nothing fun about wondering if the brothel you're in is about to collapse on you.

holy poo poo you're still around

I didn't post in it but I dug your A/T thread

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action
Reports of sea receding in Wellington getting anxious as gently caress

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009
Reminds me of 2011, checked Christchurch was still on the map then went back to bed.

Murrah
Mar 22, 2015

Much <3 to friends and whanau at home, its me that one that Toxxed for Clinton ~, 2016 is really some year huh

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

Murrah posted:

Much <3 to friends and whanau at home, its me that one that Toxxed for Clinton ~, 2016 is really some year huh

this garbage year can't be over fast enough

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Raikyn posted:

Funny, quake seems to be felt over the whole country, haven't really felt one like that from so far away. Power went out in Hawkes Bay, long rolling quake

After the first 30 seconds I sent the ex a text from Christchurch (to Hamilton) saying there was a big quake and I'm fine, just incase communications went down if it got worse, worried me a lot when I got a reply saying it was happening there too.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
gently caress tsunami sirens are annoying.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I was awake when it got to Auckland and the house was swaying for a good 30 seconds to a minute. Seems like Waiau, Kaikoura and Wellington were worst hit.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Yeah, it took me a few seconds to realise there were no heavy truck sounds. After it passed I looked online to find out it was in the South Island and decided I didn't really want to know more before bed if I could feel it from up here, but it looks like things weren't as bad as I feared.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

From talking to people in Christchurch it wasn't that violent there just really long rocking motion. It seems the upper South Island and Wellington felt it the worst.

door.jar
Mar 17, 2010

Varkk posted:

From talking to people in Christchurch it wasn't that violent there just really long rocking motion. It seems the upper South Island and Wellington felt it the worst.

It went on so long and the entire time you're just hoping it won't just kick into high gear and completely wreck your poo poo.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Apparently I'm the only person in New Zealand that slept through the earthquake.

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

Vagabundo posted:

Apparently I'm the only person in New Zealand that slept through the earthquake.

nah fellow goon SurreptitiousMuffin did too, in Wellington

(sorry to out u SM)

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Vagabundo posted:

No you join such esteemed New Zealanders as my 4 year old son and 1 year old daughter who both slept through comfortably. Until their panicky parents rushed in to check on them after it finished.

Robo Captain
Sep 28, 2013
I work for an engineering company and it looks like we are going to be pretty busy today.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

My whole household slept through like a brick, woken only after by calls and texts from family living nearby to see if we were ok. Was very confusing.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Any one know of a good deal on Dramamine? I am starting to feel seasick.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Vagabundo posted:

I slept through and so did everyone I've spoken to who lives in western West Auckland.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I am a sleepman.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I am safe but shock up. All praise to the moon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Hah, I just called my mum and she mentioned her friend said there was going to be more "because of the moon". How is that weirdo still getting airtime?

• Locked thread