Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Mr. Belding posted:

Racial purity tests are being endorsed by supposed liberals here and now they are giving each other daps over it. What a world we live in.

Asking white dudes to maybe not try and always demand leadership of every movement and to stop and listen to minorities = literally racism against white people, got it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Kobayashi posted:

I like this. As a white progressive arguing mainly with other white progressives, I think this is precisely because the dominant white progressive narrative I keep hearing is, "more outreach to the racists working white class." I'm trying to to use my voice to get the rest of my white progressive voices to shut the gently caress up. The choice I've made is to 1) trust that the new Democratic Party, led by non-white voices, will find a way to run a 50-state strategy that can engage the white working class without selling out or 2) go do with that new party. I won't, however, advocate for a party that gives a single inch to racism, sexism, or xenophobia.

Millions upon millions of them voted for Obama (twice) and Clinton. You really think they're all racist and we'll need racism to lure Obama's supporters back?

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin

Atahualpa posted:

Looks like Reince is going to be Trump's Chief of Staff and Bannon his Chief Strategist/Senior Counselor.

Drain that swamp!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Lightning Knight posted:

Asking white dudes to maybe not try and always demand leadership of every movement and to stop and listen to minorities = literally racism against white people, got it.

The racist self-obsessed white liberals are currently promoting a black muslim as the savior of their party.

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

:parrot:

BadOptics posted:

If Donald Trump was literally any other politician I would agree, but as we've seen from the past year and a half Trump is in no way, shape, or form your "usual" politician. I could see him running again, but he's also a big baby who changes his mind at the slightest of things. I don't think anyone can guess at the calculus that will be in his mind four years from now when he has to compare the work of the office (which he hates already) to the $$$ he can make going back to Trump Tower.

He is now 'not a "usual"' president. He can and does have teams of staffers working on his re election campaign *(edit: Actually lets say by mid 2017) which he no longer has to run personally or pay for. You seem to be grasping at all these things that say he can't handle it, or some other spectacular personal failure that will.. make him not want to continue being president? He has achieved the epitome of his being, here. I would say the likelihood of anything else is incredibly low given that he will now have a personal physician, nutritionist, ect. Perhaps a psyc? That would be special.

E:*

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
I just want to say that I think the racist base is pretty fully mobilized and went out to vote trump. If anyone has the idea that these are the voters democrats should be going after they are very loving misguided

we ought to have in mind is capturing the votes of the people who just didn't give a poo poo this election and stayed home to vote because they thought everything would work itself out. DNC needs to give them something they think they can build and participate in, and it's gotta be something pretty grand.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Everyone please read this before commenting further on what lost the election for Hillary.

Posting exit poll data and voter turnout numbers really shows a lack of understanding of how our election works. The only thing that lost the election for Hillary was losing PA, WI, and MI. Low turnout doesn't explain large swings away from D and towards R in those states. If we can't win back the Rust Belt, we have no hope for 2020 unless somehow Texas flips, which won't happen yet.

I've seen people handwave away the white working class of the Rust Belt and say we just need to increase voter turnout. Winning back (not even a very large percentage) the working class of the Rust Belt is a 64 point swing in the EC.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fojar38 posted:

It's really cool how people have been donating 10 dollars to Lowtax to own people for wrongthink instead of donating it to the ACLU

Since the election I've stopped caring about the detractors. Do what you think is right, but don't feel the need to defend it. We don't have time for this poo poo. The time for understanding was a month ago. Action is all that matters now.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Accretionist posted:

Millions upon millions of them voted for Obama (twice) and Clinton. You really think they're all racist and we'll need racism to lure Obama's supporters back?

I sincerely implore you to read about the history of the Civil Rights Movement in depth and why white liberals of the time were immensely unhelpful, to the point that MLK famously wrote letters specifically about the "white moderate."

This idea isn't because of some dumb conspiracy against white people. There is historical precedence for it older than the last 8 years.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Lightning Knight posted:

maybe cool it on the contempt, even though it is well deserved

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mr. Belding posted:

Racial purity tests are being endorsed by supposed liberals here and now they are giving each other daps over it. What a world we live in.

Accretionist posted:

It doesn't matter what I think, and if either of you are white, it doesn't matter what you think either. We're not the ones that are going to be the first to suffer.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

steinrokkan posted:

The racist self-obsessed white liberals are currently promoting a black muslim as the savior of their party.

I mean, I said it once, I'll say it again: Bernie Sanders is smarter than you (and I),

Enkmar posted:

maybe cool it on the contempt, even though it is well deserved

He unironically thinks we're going to have racial purity tests like lmao.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Paradoxish posted:

The vindictive part of me really, really wants to point out that what they're asking for (jobs that pay decent wages when companies don't want to pay those wages) is literally welfare, but that's probably just going to be counterproductive. :(

Not really. Working for a wage is the opposite of welfare.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

Lightning Knight posted:

A few pretty important "white dudes" have thrown support behind a progressive black Muslim for DNC chair. The thing that you think is happening isn't really happening and the way that you are responding to your hypothetical scenario is destructive and stupid.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Kobayashi posted:

I like this. As a white progressive arguing mainly with other white progressives, I think this is precisely because the dominant white progressive narrative I keep hearing is, "more outreach to the racists working white class." I'm trying to to use my voice to get the rest of my white progressive voices to shut the gently caress up. The choice I've made is to 1) trust that the new Democratic Party, led by non-white voices, will find a way to run a 50-state strategy that can engage the white working class without selling out or 2) go do with that new party. I won't, however, advocate for a party that gives a single inch to racism, sexism, or xenophobia.

You shouldn't concede anything to those ideas but you do have to be able to work with people who hold them. We can get things done on prison reform, the drug war, the welfare state, and foreign policy by adding their voices to ours on those issues. That doesn't stop us from openly decrying the evils of the ism factors in our societies. We need to understand that people contain multitudes. We need to empower their better angels without condemning them along with their worst attributes. The only alternative is political irrelevance or conceding the world to people who do not care for it all until the demographics change. I don't think we can afford that.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Sharkopath posted:

I'm already seeing it in my circles with mostly white bernie supporters angry that people are protesting now when they didn't protest during the primary, so nobody should protest at all I guess. It seems really counterproductive in the name of righteous smuggery, which doesn't accomplish much.

Or maybe some of them are angry that these sloppy protests are doing nothing more but making the left side look bad

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Lightning Knight posted:

I mean, I said it once, I'll say it again: Bernie Sanders is smarter than you (and I),

So is my dog, I don't see your point?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Mr. Belding posted:

A few pretty important "white dudes" have thrown support behind a progressive black Muslim for DNC chair. The thing that you think is happening isn't really happening and the way that you are responding to your hypothetical scenario is destructive and stupid.

And before that happened one Howard Dean was going to run for that seat. Do you think Keith Ellison would've won on his own merits versus Dean, absent the party leadership backing him up? A party leadership made up of old white guys.

See, I think they made the right play. They're cool. But they just as easily could've backed Dean instead, and that would've been a shame.

steinrokkan posted:

So is my dog, I don't see your point?

My point is that Bernie was smart enough to look for young minorities to take up his platform. I think he learned the lessons of the primary quite well, even if some of us don't want to.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

SimonCat posted:

there's really not much difference when you're demanding widepread government intervention to create jobs. it's kind of like morality laundering, where the money the government pumps into the system has to pass through enough mechanisms to make it acceptable, where just a simple direct payment or one-step rule like minimum wage isn't enough to satisfy the protestant work ethic

like the government could engage in an elaborate ritual of price fixing, trade barriers, and burdens on employers which incentivize them to produce goods inefficiently for worker benefit. or they could just cut you an unemployment check. either way the outcome is the same, more money in the worker's pocket, it's just that one mechanism is more palatable to people who deeply need to think of themselves as morally virtuous and "hard working"

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Nov 13, 2016

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Rational prediction for the next 8 years in response to likely inefficiency in government, foreign policy, and domestic issues: America falls out of superpower status and loses almost all foreign influence to China, falling into irrelevancy and eventually bending a knee to China. China becomes the new "America" for the foreseeable future.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Lightning Knight posted:

I don't think they're dumb, I just don't think that everyone is going to roll over to let progressives jump in to take over everything. There are legitimately a lot of Democratic voters that were happy with Hillary and her platform, as much as brogressives like to claim otherwise.

The reason Dems lost is because they lost the support of the "brogressives"

A lot of the Dems wanted Bernie Sanders but nah let's cheat him out of the candidacy, run a boring, run off the mill candidate and play it safe on an non-incumbent election year

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Puppy Bowl posted:

You shouldn't concede anything to those ideas but you do have to be able to work with people who hold them. We can get things done on prison reform, the drug war, the welfare state, and foreign policy by adding their voices to ours on those issues. That doesn't stop us from openly decrying the evils of the ism factors in our societies. We need to understand that people contain multitudes. We need to empower their better angels without condemning them along with their worst attributes. The only alternative is political irrelevance or conceding the world to people who do not care for it all until the demographics change. I don't think we can afford that.

If the new Democratic party, led by non-white voices, decides that engaging with people who hold racist, sexist, and xenophobic views is the way forward, then I'll look to their leadership on the method and manner of how to do that.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

SimonCat posted:

If a company refuses to pay fair wages (as defined by the people demanding them, not the people paying them) then the only recourse is to force companies to pay those wages through some form of regulation, subsidy, or other social effort. You're putting a few extra steps between yourself and the social welfare program that's allowing you to be paid fairly, but it's still there.

If this makes you uncomfortable, then your only other option is direct payments or guaranteed government work at high enough wages that private industry is forced to compete for labor.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

My Linux Rig posted:

A lot of the Dems wanted Bernie Sanders but nah let's cheat him out of the candidacy, run a boring, run off the mill candidate and play it safe on an non-incumbent election year

it's pretty amazing that hillary could fabricate 3.5 million votes in the democratic primary but then lost her ability to fabricate 500k votes in the general

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Kobayashi posted:

It doesn't matter what I think, and if either of you are white, it doesn't matter what you think either. We're not the ones that are going to be the first to suffer.

How the gently caress have you not been banned yet with this poo poo? You're indistinguishable from a Stormfront falseflag deliberately trying to destroy the left.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

boner confessor posted:

there's really not much difference when you're demanding widepread government intervention to create jobs. it's kind of like morality laundering, where the money the government pumps into the system has to pass through enough mechanisms to make it acceptable, where just a simple direct payment or one-step rule like minimum wage isn't enough to satisfy the protestant work ethic

like the government could engage in an elaborate ritual of price fixing, trade barriers, and burdens on employers which incentivize them to produce goods inefficiently for worker benefit. or they could just cut you an unemployment check. either way the outcome is the same, more money in the worker's pocket

If I recall correctly, this was one of the arguments for how reparations would be handled as well.

My Linux Rig posted:

Voter suppression, of course, had no impact on the election.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
I don't want to protest a trump victory because I think voting matters and it would feel kind of rude in my eyes to tell my countryman he doesn't get to choose because he or she chose wrong.

However what these protests are doing is probably a little more nuanced than "not my president!". I know the local Portland protester movement tried to mature itself into something called "Portland's Resistance" and they will have people seeking local election as well as petitioning any officeholders they can. I know they mentioned racism, misogyny, and rent control being part of their platform.

So it's good and bad?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Kobayashi posted:

What matters is influencing outcomes. How does marrying anti-racism and anti-poverty to fractious infighting help?

Edit: Keith Ellison, who owns, just received major backing from three white guys. That's a gently caress up, right? Or is that a good thing for reasons that have nothing to do with those white guys' race and gender?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

And before that happened one Howard Dean was going to run for that seat. Do you think Keith Ellison would've won on his own merits versus Dean, absent the party leadership backing him up? A party leadership made up of old white guys.

See, I think they made the right play. They're cool. But they just as easily could've backed Dean instead, and that would've been a shame.

And Hillary could've won the election but she didn't. This is literally the most meaningless post.

Shaming people because they could've made the wrong decision but didn't is really dumb.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Covok posted:

Rational prediction for the next 8 years in response to likely inefficiency in government, foreign policy, and domestic issues: America falls out of superpower status and loses almost all foreign influence to China, falling into irrelevancy and eventually bending a knee to China. China becomes the new "America" for the foreseeable future.

things aren't looking so peachy for China either, their economy is in a really precarious place and when it crashes it's gonna crash hard

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

My Linux Rig posted:

stdh.txt

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Lightning Knight posted:

My point is that Bernie was smart enough to look for young minorities to take up his platform. I think he learned the lessons of the primary quite well, even if some of us don't want to.

And so far it doesn't seem like "brogressives" are getting mad about Bernie's choice? So, um, maybe you underestimated the willingness of the progressive crowd to experiment.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
Upset dems screaming about the electoral college being unfair, based on the idea that the majority should rule.
Upset dems screaming about how the majority(white cishet folks) are unfit to rule, should give control to the minority.

The cognitive dissonance is staggering.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I'm cranky about the masturbatory infighting. It is irl a problem.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

My Linux Rig posted:

The saddest part is that the boring middle of the road candidate could have won if she wasn't such an obvious corporate phony.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Cugel the Clever posted:

How the gently caress have you not been banned yet with this poo poo? You're indistinguishable from a Stormfront falseflag deliberately trying to destroy the left.

:laffo:

Mahoning posted:

And Hillary could've won the election but she didn't. This is literally the most meaningless post.

Shaming people because they could've made the wrong decision but didn't is really dumb.

I wasn't shaming anyone? I was pointing out that in the aftermath of our loss, a straight white dude jumped at the chance to lead. People taking the long view instead endorsed a young, fresh, minority face. This is an important lesson we should take to heart.

steinrokkan posted:

And so far it doesn't seem like "brogressives" are getting mad about Bernie's choice? So, um, maybe you underestimated the willingness of the progressive crowd to experiment.

No they're not. I don't think the economic/social justice clash will come until the primaries for 2020. We'll see who runs and how nasty things get.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

HorseRenoir posted:

things aren't looking so peachy for China either, their economy is in a really precarious place and when it crashes it's gonna crash hard

Then, who stands to take up America's reigns, serious question? I can't see America keeping the power and influence it has now with a government fighting itself and pushing for more isolationist policies. They both explicitly want to lock us off and they can't efficiently manage power abroad. Inexperience in foreign dealings means that almost every nation will get one up on us in dealings.

If China crashes hard as well, I am seriously curious who decides to capitalize and America basically exiting their seat of world power. I know a lot of people want to say Russia, but it lacks infrastructure and suffers from the reality that, when Putin dies, it suffers from the very real problem of breaking into a series of squabbling nation states.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cugel the Clever posted:

If you think "the left" is threatened by saying that white voices should voluntarily stop talking and listen for a while, you're underestimating the left.

Accretionist posted:

What matters is influencing outcomes. How does marrying anti-racism and anti-poverty to fractious infighting help?

Edit: Keith Ellison, who owns, just received major backing from three white guys. That's a gently caress up, right? Or is that a good thing for reasons that have nothing to do with those white guys' race and gender?

They're elevating a non-white voice to a leadership position, sounds like a good thing to me.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Kobayashi posted:

If the new Democratic party, led by non-white voices, decides that engaging with people who hold racist, sexist, and xenophobic views is the way forward, then I'll look to their leadership on the method and manner of how to do that.

Fair enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->

Covok posted:

lol way to buy into the "China Rising" myth. China's facing a much more dire crisis than the US is.

Covok posted:

Then, who stands to take up America's reigns, serious question? I can't see America keeping the power and influence it has now with a government fighting itself and pushing for more isolationist policies. They both explicitly want to lock us off and they can't efficiently manage power abroad. Inexperience in foreign dealings means that almost every nation will get one up on us in dealings.

If China crashes hard as well, I am seriously curious who decides to capitalize and America basically exiting their seat of world power. I know a lot of people want to say Russia, but it lacks infrastructure and suffers from the reality that, when Putin dies, it suffers from the very real problem of breaking into a series of squabbling nation states.

The US isn't going to lose power and influence because its power fundamentals remain as strong as they ever were.

• Locked thread