Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I'd be fine with a woman man, minority, whatever. I just want someone with a history of a) not taking a ton of money from billionaires and b) fighting for progressive causes. Hillary definitely didn't meet the first requirement and the latter is arguable.

At the very least the party seems to be going that way with a bunch of people supporting Keith Ellison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Edit don't know how that double post happened!

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Pollyanna posted:

What the gently caress?

What is the problem?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Telephones posted:

Yeah, a white dude is an easier sell than a woman sorry to say. This country is sexist as hell. We need someone charismatic like Obama and for a woman that means she would need to be better than Obama or at least have a rock solid populist appeal. Hard to do right and not worth loving up. Don't ignore the reality: people thought Hillary was a shrill bitch.

I 100% think that a progressive female candidate with above average public speaking skills could've destroyed Trump. Hillary was subject to massive sexism but the scandal machine also dovetailed hard into this and without both she wouldn't have had such a damaged reputation. Somebody who isn't as well known and without as bad of a history could've done just fine, I think.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Looking at net turnout only tells you net turnout, it doesn't tell you who voted for who or even why

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Crowsbeak posted:

When it crashes so will ours.

Nah, when theirs crashes it's cataclysmic for them. We are fairly diversified. It isn't going to be a great day for the world economy, but the US isn't as big into China as a lot of places are.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Telephones posted:

Yeah, a white dude is an easier sell than a woman sorry to say. This country is sexist as hell. We need someone charismatic like Obama and for a woman that means she would need to be better than Obama or at least have a rock solid populist appeal. Hard to do right and not worth loving up. Don't ignore the reality: people thought Hillary was a shrill bitch.

What we need is a light brown or Jewish dude or someone else who can *talk* economics while speaking to race issues via skin color without actually speaking on them.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

John Connor 2028.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Monaghan posted:

I'd be fine with a woman man, minority, whatever. I just want someone with a history of a) not taking a ton of money from billionaires and b) fighting for progressive causes. Hillary definitely didn't meet the first requirement and the latter is arguable.

At the very least the party seems to be going that way with a bunch of people supporting Keith Ellison.

I don't think there has been a candidate in 50 years who qualifies under those criteria. Even Sanders took money from billionaires.

Vermin Supreme 2020?

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:
More interesting: wtf Steve bannon in the White House? Are the Trump supporters also happy with that? If so, why? And does it matter that he has ties to the alt right?

Antonin Scalia
Feb 14, 2016

Lightning Knight posted:

I mean, reading comprehension is hard, bro. It's on a list that starts with "for progressives."
Your defense, when called out for telling white people to sit down and shut up, is that you're not telling the white working class that. You're telling people who want to organize and choose leadership of the new DNC that.

The white working class, in your mind, are explicitly excluded from the organizing and leadership choosing stage.

They can turn up for the campaign, of course. Ideally just after the ballots are handed out.

None of this will be new to them. It's exactly what they were told by the neoliberals.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Crowsbeak posted:

When it crashes so will ours.

The US is pretty isolated from the Chinese economy so not really. The rest of the world, not so much

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Thatim posted:

More interesting: wtf Steve bannon in the White House? Are the Trump supporters also happy with that? If so, why? And does it matter that he has ties to the alt right?

They will be much happier with this part than with Priebus.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

Looking at net turnout only tells you net turnout, it doesn't tell you who voted for who or even why

So you're willing to say that the people who predicted this would happen, and why it would happen, are full of poo poo and you know better because you don't believe that the people of a certain region might have a completely different life experience and world view than the rest of the Democratic Party?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Thatim posted:

I mean he was going to get some position for sure. He ran the campaign. At least he's not Chief of Staff?

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Thatim posted:

They don't care about his specific picks they barely know how the government functions as it is.

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

My Linux Rig posted:

The reason Dems lost is because they lost the support of the "brogressives"

The reasons Dems lost is because they were a bunch of incompetent and overconfident buffoons who thought this was actually a possibility:

Chuck Schumer posted:

For every blue-collar Democrat we lose in western Pennsylvania, we will pick up two moderate Republicans in the suburbs in Philadelphia, and you can repeat that in Ohio and Illinois and Wisconsin.

The Clinton campaign spent no loving effort on mobilizing the black or spanish speaking vote, they made zero outreach to white working class communities (which voted overwhelmingly for Obama in 2008 and 2012), and they refused to actually show any conviction about the more progressive aspects of their platform that people actually liked. Instead they spent millions on stirring up fear of the Russian Menace, tried to attract "moderate" Republicans by saying Trump was uniquely terrible while the GOP old guard was respectable, and treated downticket races as some sort of boring sideshow while guzzling all the party fundraising on loving losing.

It was hubris, plain and simple.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Judakel posted:

She withstood scandals just fine. Nothing really stuck or dissuaded people. The problem seemed to be, as another poster mentioned a few days ago, that no one could figure out why she was running in the first place. It was just "her time".

She had decades of public service and working for liberal causes. Like progressives might hate her but Hillary Clinton was not in it for the money or the fame. She may have sought such things out to further her career but if you look at the arc of her life and say she didn't believe in her politics you're a fool. I don't agree with her politics or her methods but I believe in her sincerity.

Judakel posted:

Biden is not what I have in mind, but so what if he fit? So what if it is a straight white guy? Jesus...

We've been ruled by straight white dudes for nearly three centuries in this country. Straight white dudes have been oppressing minorities for that time too. Do you really not have enough empathy to see why minorities might want to see someone like them in power for once? Do you have any concept of what the Obamas meant to black Americans?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

QuarkJets posted:

I don't think there has been a candidate in 50 years who qualifies for those criteria. Even Sanders took money from billionaires.

Vermin Supreme 2020?

Candidates aren't at liberty of vetting their contributor, realistically. The key is whether they solicit contributions from moneied interests.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Mulva posted:

Nah, when theirs crashes it's cataclysmic for them. We are fairly diversified. It isn't going to be a great day for the world economy, but the US isn't as big into China as a lot of places are.

If the Chinese economy crashes hard enough it will certainly take out South America due to Chinese investments there, it will significantly impact Europe and depending on the EU economies might crash them too. If that happens, US economy will go down as well. This isn't even considering the possible fall of TBTF institutions in combination with systemic risk along the lines of Credit Default Swaps. Being diversified doesn't make a Chinese crash not globally impactful.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

I don't think there has been a candidate in 50 years who qualifies under those criteria. Even Sanders took money from billionaires.

Vermin Supreme 2020?

which is why I clarify it with "a ton." Hillary doing stuff like goldman speeches don't look good. I'm not arguing for an absolute, but I want some reassurances they won't just answer to their wealthy donors.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

HorseRenoir posted:

The US is pretty isolated from the Chinese economy so not really. The rest of the world, not so much

If the Chinese economy completely crashes it'll absolutely trigger a US recession, it just might take a few years. We're not so isolated that we won't feel the effects of the rest of the global economy coming to a screeching halt.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Antonin Scalia posted:

Your defense, when called out for telling white people to sit down and shut up, is that you're not telling the white working class that. You're telling people who want to organize and choose leadership of the new DNC that.

The white working class, in your mind, are explicitly excluded from the organizing and leadership choosing stage.

They can turn up for the campaign, of course. Ideally just after the ballots are handed out.

None of this will be new to them. It's exactly what they were told by the neoliberals.

There are white working class Progressives. The conceptual difference between "progressives" and "white working class voters" is implicitly that the second group are not presently Democrats and don't like us and we're trying to win them back. If they don't like us and aren't Democrats they probably aren't participating in leadership roles or party meetings. If they do, then more power to them. But you're trying to twist my words to mean what they didn't.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

HorseRenoir posted:

For all the talk about American dependence on Chinese money, it is China who is dependent on the US paying off their bonds on time, and the US is not dependent on the Chinese ability to render future payments, as long as they can find a substitute. I think a US debt default would kill both China, and America for this reason.

That is my understanding, am I wrong?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Lightning Knight posted:

He also ran on hatred of immigrants and national stop and frisk and was endorsed by the KKK. Please, educate me on why he won. :allears:

You're going to be sorely disappointed when your orange god doesn't give a drat about anything he campaigned on. He's already appointing bank CEOs to Cabinet positions. Hillary would've been better at this poo poo than him and she made speeches to banks for a living.

Lol if you think Hillary was actually going to implement progressive platforms.

Kubrick
Jul 20, 2004

I think the way people run for president has fundamentally changed. It's not about policy or judgement anymore. It's about public enthusiasm and force of personality.

So quit looking for a politician to be the face of the Democratic part in 2020.

Look for rock stars, actors, and Tony Stark-esque tech idols.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

http://thefederalist.com/2016/10/26/trump-inspiring-rust-belt-democrats-cross-over/

You can pretend or hope all you want that this phenomenon was isolated to my county in Ohio, but when I look at the electoral map, I'm inclined to believe it was not, in fact, isolated to this one single county.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Business Gorillas posted:

Lol if you think Hillary was actually going to implement progressive platforms.

I think Hillary would've implemented progressive reforms long before Trump does a drat thing he campaigned on.

Remember, rear end in a top hat, she was fighting for actual government healthcare - not this ACA poo poo - before I was born. You can hate her all you want but don't act like she didn't do more in an average year than you or I will probably do in a lifetime relative to public service or advocacy.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

steinrokkan posted:

For all the talk about American dependence on Chinese money, it is China who is dependent on the US paying off their bonds on time, and the US is not dependent on the Chinese ability to render future payments, as long as they can find a substitute. I think a US debt default would kill both China, and America for this reason.

That is my understanding, am I wrong?

A US debt default would kill literally every economy in the world. Bonds are not the reason for that.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Kubrick posted:

I think the way people run for president has fundamentally changed. It's not about policy or judgement anymore. It's about public enthusiasm and force of personality.

So quit looking for a politician to be the face of the Democratic part in 2020.

Look for rock stars, actors, and Tony Stark-esque tech idols.

politics has always been about that. All politicians have to energize people. There is no mythical time in which the majority of people carefully analyzed the policy positions of candidate and then made a rational choice based on their respective platforms.

Lightning Knight posted:

I think Hillary would've implemented progressive reforms long before Trump does a drat thing he campaigned on.

Remember, rear end in a top hat, she was fighting for actual government healthcare - not this ACA poo poo - before I was born. You can hate her all you want but don't act like she didn't do more in an average year than you or I will probably do in a lifetime relative to public service or advocacy.

which she promptly backpedaled on, but her supporters never give her poo poo for that.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

Lightning Knight posted:

The problem is that if we do not push for minority candidates, then mysteriously the best candidates will always end up being straight white guys. Progressives and liberals aren't immune to systemic racism.

And yet in this case (assuming Ellison runs) there probably isn't. Your point is that you want white people not to participate in Democratic Party Leadership because they've had their turn, which isn't too terribly different than running Hillary in the general because it is her turn. Which didn't work because it turns out you actually have to choose candidates based on their effectiveness rather than it being "about time we had a <insert minority descriptor> as the <insert office or position>". Barack Obama was a killer candidate and would be killer regardless of race or gender. He's loving got it. But if his clone returned as a white dude who managed a bank, you wouldn't consider running him. You are one of the most race obsessed people I've had the unfortunate happenstance of interacting with, and you sound like a /pol impression of a liberal.

Mr. Belding fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Nov 13, 2016

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013

Lightning Knight posted:

I 100% think that a progressive female candidate with above average public speaking skills could've destroyed Trump. Hillary was subject to massive sexism but the scandal machine also dovetailed hard into this and without both she wouldn't have had such a damaged reputation. Somebody who isn't as well known and without as bad of a history could've done just fine, I think.

Yeah you're right. But I'm not interested in simply winning in four years. I want to see a democratic sweep. And I worry about the left's insistence on displays of racial and gender equality. Nobody cares. It is not a worthwhile moral issue when the US is on the verge of a brutal authoritarian state. It's incredibly tone-deaf.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Telephones posted:

Yeah you're right. But I'm not interested in winning in four years. I want to see a democratic sweep. And I worry about the left's insistence on displays of racial and gender equality. Nobody cares. It is not a worthwhile moral issue when the US is on the verge of a brutal authoritarian state. It's incredibly tone-deaf.

lmao

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

botany posted:

If the Chinese economy crashes hard enough it will certainly take out South America due to Chinese investments there, it will significantly impact Europe and depending on the EU economies might crash them too. If that happens, US economy will go down as well. This isn't even considering the possible fall of TBTF institutions in combination with systemic risk along the lines of Credit Default Swaps. Being diversified doesn't make a Chinese crash not globally impactful.

Which is why I said it will be bad for the world economy. Which in turn is bad for us. It doesn't end us though. It ends China as the pretense of a world superpower, it damages their capacity to ever make deals in the future, and it teaches some people a valuable lesson about investing, but it's not the end of global capitalism.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Lightning Knight posted:

For somebody who spent 40 years building up her credentials, she was shockingly easily convinced to delegate all her decision making on a computer.

Add to that her naive belief that Bush was her friend, which led to her Iraq vote -

- and it's hard not to see her as a rube who would have squandered everything at first contact with lobbyists,

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

FeedingHam2Cats posted:

The reasons Dems lost is because they were a bunch of incompetent and overconfident buffoons who thought this was actually a possibility:

The Clinton campaign spent no loving effort on mobilizing the black or spanish speaking vote, they made zero outreach to white working class communities (which voted overwhelmingly for Obama in 2008 and 2012), and they refused to actually show any conviction about the more progressive aspects of their platform that people actually liked. Instead they spent millions on stirring up fear of the Russian Menace, tried to attract "moderate" Republicans by saying Trump was uniquely terrible while the GOP old guard was respectable, and treated downticket races as some sort of boring sideshow while guzzling all the party fundraising on loving losing.

It was hubris, plain and simple.

Basically, it's summed up in this quote:

"I may not BE Dale Earnhardt...but I smashed into the loving wall because I couldn't turn LEFT"

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Mulva posted:

Which is why I said it will be bad for the world economy. Which in turn is bad for us. It doesn't end us though. It ends China as the pretense of a world superpower, it damages their capacity to ever make deals in the future, and it teaches some people a valuable lesson about investing, but it's not the end of global capitalism.

Nothing is the end of global capitalism, but it would crash the US economy all the same.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Lightning Knight posted:

She had decades of public service and working for liberal causes. Like progressives might hate her but Hillary Clinton was not in it for the money or the fame. She may have sought such things out to further her career but if you look at the arc of her life and say she didn't believe in her politics you're a fool. I don't agree with her politics or her methods but I believe in her sincerity.

No, I don't think you're a fool for questioning exactly what Clinton stood for besides "being president". Sorry. She tried to be all things to all people and was accurately mocked for this. She "evolved" quite a bit. How many slogans did her campaign have? I believe there is an image floating around containing over 30 that were tested during the campaign. This was not a campaign with a clear message and people need that.

quote:

We've been ruled by straight white dudes for nearly three centuries in this country. Straight white dudes have been oppressing minorities for that time too. Do you really not have enough empathy to see why minorities might want to see someone like them in power for once? Do you have any concept of what the Obamas meant to black Americans?

I get why they might want to see someone like them in power. It isn't a factor for me, but good for them.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Anyone want to talk about Bannon, a literal anti-semmite, being announced as Chief Strategist and Senior Counselor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Mr. Belding posted:

And yet in this case (assuming Ellison runs) there probably isn't. Your point is that you want white people not to participate in Democratic Party Leadership because they've had their turn, which isn't too terribly different than running Hillary in the general because it is her turn. Which didn't work because it turns out you actually have choose candidates based on their effectiveness rather than it being "about time we had a <insert minority descriptor> as the <insert office or position>". Barack Obama was a killer candidate and would be killer regardless of race or gender. He's loving got it. But if his clone returned as a white dude who managed a bank, you wouldn't consider running him. You are one of the most race obsessed people I've had the unfortunate happenstance of interacting with, and you sound like a /pol impression of a liberal.

I love that this is consistently the butthurt message you get out of this. "Please, white dudes, listen to minorities and help them gain leadership positions" has become "white straight men are banned from politics, you can never run for anything." We need hundreds of congresspeople, of course some of them are gonna be white dudes. We need thousands of leaders in the party, and some of them will be white dudes too. All I want is to not have another procession of fifty white dudes for President while we promise minorities we swear we care about you please vote for us. Why is that so much to ask?

Telephones posted:

Yeah you're right. But I'm not interested in simply winning in four years. I want to see a democratic sweep. And I worry about the left's insistence on displays of racial and gender equality. Nobody cares. It is not a worthwhile moral issue when the US is on the verge of a brutal authoritarian state. It's incredibly tone-deaf.

So run a straight white male, or we won't sweep the elections. Got it. Who is Barack Obama again?

• Locked thread