Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

nelson posted:

I feel the same way about our new president.

Triggered.

EDIT: Also, enjoyed the movie I do agree his journey to being a sorceror was a victim of too quick editing. Still think the movie's pretty good though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Drifter posted:

I'd argue that time progression doesn't really matter, however. His journey is one of morality and compassion and responsibility, not of becoming a good sorcerer.

Sorta? But the specific task that he's shown to overcome is based on simple self-preservation. He gets dumped on Everest and has to get back. What does that have to do with compassion? They could have had some contrived 'you better learn this magic to save some orphans from a burning building!' or something and maybe it would have worked better for me?

quote:

We know he's a good sorcerer, and we don't need to watch Marvel's A Harry Potter Story. I mean, they don't do a good job really, but it's fun.

I don't disagree that it's fun. I did like the movie, this stuff just sticks in my craw a little because (especially in the MCU so far) all the heroes have some sort of special reason or event that makes them what they are. In Strange's case (and all other sorcerer's as far as we know) it turns out all you need is some book learnin'. I would have liked more showing what happens to failed sorcerers or something. Novices trapped in other dimensions and getting turned inside out when they try the wrong ritual or eaten by Dormmamu when they read the wrong book.

MisterBibs posted:

the methods to being really good at being a scientist and a doctor really fast are the same ones that get you really good at being a spell-slinger.

See, this is why I think the lack of time passing bugs me. He does specifically say that to become a good doctor it took YEARS of study but we never get the impression that magic takes real dedication and hard work (though we never see him in med school either so maybe he just cruised through that too.) The joke about using Google Translate for Sanskrit irked me too -- feels like a cheap shortcut.

All this stuff could have been mostly-fixed by giving doctor whatserface a 'I haven't heard from you in three years!' line or something.

E: My fanfic version of the movie has Strange and Kaecilius being acolytes together and having a climactic event where they have to protect the NY sanctum during the invasion in Avengers, where Kaecilius has someone die on him or something and thinks it's unconscionable that A1 won't help out the regular citizens trapped out in the streets because it'll draw attention or whatever.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Nov 12, 2016

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Drifter posted:

I totally agree that there was no sense of time progression in the movie.

I got some sense of it, but definitely that coupled with the origin story beats in the front end slogged it down a bit.

It's too bad, because a solution for both those things would be more creative editing. Maybe present the events nonlinearly in the beginning...show Strange as this broken husk in Nepal, and don't explain why. Cut from the alley robbery to him as an arrogant doctor in his Ferrari and the crash. Embellish the scene where he's pleading at the door to Kamar-Taj with his hopeless attempts to fix his hands medically before getting there. The jumping back and forth in time would probably convey a better sense of its passage, and more efficiently cover all the "origin story" beats. Hell, it'd relate better to the notions of recursion, inevitability, and nonlinearity of time that drive the end of the movie, too.**

Don't get me wrong, I liked the movie. Quite a bit, actually...it feels aesthetic in a way a lot of Marvel films don't. And had legitimately good character moments...the astral projection "I just wanted to see the snow" scene was actually really touching. But yeah, it was pretty explicitly the first Iron Man in a different wrapper.

**Edit: I'm realizing I am essentially describing the structure of Batman Begins, but whatever. I'm fine with it.

Xealot fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 12, 2016

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Thinking about it, but a Marvel movie with the Iron Man/Doctor Strange style origin story but about a dude joining HYDRA would be great.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

A while back someone said the ending was very Rick and Morty. Maybe. I guess.

But the Ancient One's Death feels very Rick and Morty-y and Dan Harmon without cynicism. If I had to point to a moment he wrote, it would be that. Although, my boy Cargill could've pulled it off too.

It was also for some reason a very profound moment for me. This movie owned.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I wouldn't be surprised if he had hands on that part, too. Dude loves moments like that. Honestly the movie is right up his alley - it firmly checks a lot of the Joseph Campbell boxes he's obsessed with.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

NmareBfly posted:

See, this is why I think the lack of time passing bugs me. He does specifically say that to become a good doctor it took YEARS of study but we never get the impression that magic takes real dedication and hard work (though we never see him in med school either so maybe he just cruised through that too.)

The lack of time passing doesn't bug me because Kamar'Taj has the loving Time Gem in the basement.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Jedit posted:

The lack of time passing doesn't bug me because Kamar'Taj has the loving Time Gem in the basement.

Yeah, but very clearly you have to be using the time gem, and everyone frowns upon its usage - so it's not like Strange just goes of to a closet and runs the time gem 24/7.

And I doubt the gem's just lollygagging around emitting timewaves that accelerates time inside the building either.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

General Dog posted:

-Dr. Strange's quippiness doesn't make sense for such a self-serious character

I really don't agree with this. He even says people considered him funny. He's not self serious, he's just intense.
Like if Dr Cox in Scrubs was incredibly arrogant.

Also I've seen it said that the whole movie takes place of the course of a single year.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Taear posted:

I really don't agree with this. He even says people considered him funny. He's not self serious, he's just intense.
But how many of these people worked for him?

quote:

Like if Dr Cox in Scrubs was incredibly arrogant.
You mean like if Darth Vader was the bad guy in Star Wars?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Simply Simon posted:

But how many of these people worked for him?

One of the earliest scenes in the movie is him loving around during surgery by putting on a music quiz. That alone doesn't prove he's funny, but it does show that he is willing to piss around. At least when he's not 100% concentrating. And those things tend to go hand in hand.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

tsob posted:

One of the earliest scenes in the movie is him loving around during surgery by putting on a music quiz. That alone doesn't prove he's funny, but it does show that he is willing to piss around. At least when he's not 100% concentrating. And those things tend to go hand in hand.

That wasn't a 'quippy' scene, though. Sure, Dr Strange has humor, and can be fun, but the 'quippy' scenes were pretty tryhard poo poo.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
The main one I remember chuckling at was "have you seen that before in a gift shop?"

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

People have said before that the jokes about Wong having a singular name weren't funny, but that's because it's the setup for the ultimate zinger (paraphrasing):
Strange: People used to laugh at my jokes...
Wong: Did these people work for you?

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Mierenneuker posted:

People have said before that the jokes about Wong having a singular name weren't funny, but that's because it's the setup for the ultimate zinger (paraphrasing):

Yeah that burn made all of the lame buildup totally worth it. And they were necessary.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Mierenneuker posted:

This is paid off even better later when at the end of the movie Wong starts laughing really loudly.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Ferrinus posted:

This is paid off even better later when at the end of the movie Wong starts laughing really loudly.
So Strange IS the Sorcerer Surpreme at that point, because Wong obviously now is his employee!!!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

tsob posted:

That scene was him showing his arrogance and contempt for the work. It wasn't a challenge for him, so he put a distraction in his own way to make it harder - even though this might jeopardise the patient.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
That was certainly it's primary purpose, but it also shows that he is willing and able to joke around when he's not fully concentrating on a job. He might be doing it for a selfish reason, but he's still doing it.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I know I'm a shameless MCU shill but I really enjoyed everything about this movie, especially the visuals and music score which have admittedly been the weak points for these movies. Sure the plot was basic, but I like the structure and thought the end confrontation made up for the boilerplate Marvel formula. Needed it after this really really lovely week.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Jedit posted:

That scene was him showing his arrogance and contempt for the work. It wasn't a challenge for him, so he put a distraction in his own way to make it harder - even though this might jeopardise the patient.

tsob posted:

That was certainly it's primary purpose, but it also shows that he is willing and able to joke around when he's not fully concentrating on a job. He might be doing it for a selfish reason, but he's still doing it.

It's maybe not THAT bad in real life, but surgery is a two part thing - before you cut someone open you've researched and studied to hell and back what exactly you're going to do. And the second part - the actual surgery - requires physical concentration - so as long as he's not moving around and risking things being jostled, he can talk all he wants during parts that aren't ridiculously demanding.

This scene was just showing that he was absolutely uber-competent at his job, and that his mental acuity is exceptional. Him joking around with the music quiz has nothing to do with him being a prick. He's SO good at his job that he can extend a part of his focus to other things nearby.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

Ferrinus posted:

I thought it was kinda weird that after finally getting Wong to laugh, Strange's reaction to it was like a "uh ok there" kind of look. He probably should have had a positive reaction to it, no?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

DuhSal posted:

I thought it was kinda weird that after finally getting Wong to laugh, Strange's reaction to it was like a "uh ok there" kind of look. He probably should have had a positive reaction to it, no?

I think he's miffed because he thought it was badass and Wong just thought it was loving hilarious.

Movie is ok, felt like a big budget Chinese Wuxia tv show with marginally less yelling and a missing passing of time montage.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

DuhSal posted:

Well, he wanted Wong to find him funny, but instead he just turned out to be Wong's boss.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Drifter posted:

It's maybe not THAT bad in real life, but surgery is a two part thing - before you cut someone open you've researched and studied to hell and back what exactly you're going to do. And the second part - the actual surgery - requires physical concentration - so as long as he's not moving around and risking things being jostled, he can talk all he wants during parts that aren't ridiculously demanding.

This scene was just showing that he was absolutely uber-competent at his job, and that his mental acuity is exceptional. Him joking around with the music quiz has nothing to do with him being a prick. He's SO good at his job that he can extend a part of his focus to other things nearby.

Agreed. I read the surgery scenes as him being supremely confident in the routine (for him) surgeries, but flips his concentration to 100% when necessary.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Democratic Pirate posted:

Agreed. I read the surgery scenes as him being supremely confident in the routine (for him) surgeries, but flips his concentration to 100% when necessary.

Yeah,I think the cover your watch scene shows that he could be serious when needed. But it was all so easy normally, he could run a quiz show.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

Barudak posted:

I think he's miffed because he thought it was badass and Wong just thought it was loving hilarious.

Ah ok. I just remembered it as Strange making a quip and Wong finally laughing at one. But that makes sense.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I was annoyed at how he learned all this magic so quickly until I remembered that he's already exceptionally gifted, achieved his MD and PhD simultaneously because he's brilliant and has photographic memory.
Now take all of the peak-human stuff and multiply it with magic and the fact he can study in the astral plane while his body rests. He never, ever stops learning from the moment The Ancient One allows him inside.

dionysian
Dec 30, 2012

this movie sucked my rear end hole

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You went to D Box?

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Raw impressions from seeing the movie:

It was pretty good. Benedict Cumberbatch can do no wrong. Check "looking awesome in a cape" on the list of his abilities. In fact very nearly the whole cast was terrific, except for wooden Chiwetel Ejiofor and somewhat average Rachel McAdams. The film was funny, Cumberbatch was able to show his chops and made it far less corny than it could've been.

Weirly enough it was the big budget action scenes that were somewhat boring. Some more character development, particularly with the wizards, would have improved the movie over just Inception CGI shenanigans.

Not sure if it's just me, but I thought the film looked remarkably good in 3D.

7.5 / 10 for me.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Inzombiac posted:

I was annoyed at how he learned all this magic so quickly until I remembered that he's already exceptionally gifted, achieved his MD and PhD simultaneously because he's brilliant and has photographic memory.
Now take all of the peak-human stuff and multiply it with magic and the fact he can study in the astral plane while his body rests. He never, ever stops learning from the moment The Ancient One allows him inside.

And now remember that being in the astral plane slows time down to a ratio of something like 1000:1.

Dude could have studied for one night astrally and learned as much as a normal person could have in a year, minimum. I still wish they had a scene better demonstrating that, but him studying that one night showed how he did it in a short span of time.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Yeah. I think it was Multiple Man that had 100 copies all learning different things at once so when he absorbed them again, he was a genius. I love those non-combat power uses.

Edit: I think Naruto did that as well because the main character can make magic shadow clones of himself. The difference being that each one siphons off some of his energy and when that is expelled and the clones absorbed, he almost dies.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Jedit posted:

Strange does not have contempt for his work. He's arrogant, yes, but the movie clearly shows that Strange wants to save lives. He doesn't do anything to jeopardize the patient, it's that he's that good that he can do the surgery while BS'ing around.

When it's serious, like the bullet he removes from the guy's neck, you see that Strange is determined to save the person and he cuts out the BS.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

I enjoyed the movie a lot. Very fun visually, but I wish it has more emotional resonance. Fleshing out Dr. Strange's gradual change of heart and his asking for forgiveness would have helped. The only part of the movie that really fell flat for me was at the end, when Dr. Strange essentially sentenced the antagonists to eternal suffering. This was especially odd considering the remorse he showed at killing the other guy. The antagonists seemed more misguided than plain evil and, if they really believed what they said, they were the sort of "greater good" bad guys. They did murder a number of people, but I still would have much preferred Strange to try to reach out them rather than essentially sending them to hell while quipping about it. Other than that, fun movie.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Codependent Poster posted:

When it's serious, like the bullet he removes from the guy's neck, you see that Strange is determined to save the person and he cuts out the BS.

I really wish the movie didn't have a line about the patient being a organ donor tho. The number #1 bullshit excuse for not being a organ donor is that people think that the medical personnel won't give it their utmost best and just move on to harvesting your organs if they see you are a donor. Dear Marvel, those silly people don't need any sort of dumb reaffirmation from your fantasy comic book wizard movie.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Mierenneuker posted:

I really wish the movie didn't have a line about the patient being a organ donor tho. The number #1 bullshit excuse for not being a organ donor is that people think that the medical personnel won't give it their utmost best and just move on to harvesting your organs if they see you are a donor. Dear Marvel, those silly people don't need any sort of dumb reaffirmation from your fantasy comic book wizard movie.

yikes, I hadn't even made that connection. That's really unfortunate.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Thought the movie was fantastic. I wonder how many arguements and what the fucks went on trying to create those scenes with everything folding in on itself.

"So wait, we wanted the bookshelf to flip UPWARDS into the soffit and not downwards into the steps??"

"Here, let me draw it for you."

"The gently caress is that?"

"Hmm."

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

DorianGravy posted:

I enjoyed the movie a lot. Very fun visually, but I wish it has more emotional resonance. Fleshing out Dr. Strange's gradual change of heart and his asking for forgiveness would have helped. The only part of the movie that really fell flat for me was at the end, when Dr. Strange essentially sentenced the antagonists to eternal suffering. This was especially odd considering the remorse he showed at killing the other guy. The antagonists seemed more misguided than plain evil and, if they really believed what they said, they were the sort of "greater good" bad guys. They did murder a number of people, but I still would have much preferred Strange to try to reach out them rather than essentially sending them to hell while quipping about it. Other than that, fun movie.

It's cool, they are called Mindless Ones, no real suffering there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Mierenneuker posted:

The doctor who said that is a hack and idiot.

• Locked thread