Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Emalde posted:

https://discord.gg/RhbEapR for chatting, because IRC is dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Calaveron posted:

Where can I get dusk stones in Y and when should I evolve Doublade

Be careful evolving Doublade before you reach the Move Relearner, because Aegislash stops learning moves by leveling up once it evolves.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Bongo Bill posted:

Be careful evolving Doublade before you reach the Move Relearner, because Aegislash stops learning moves by leveling up once it evolves.

The only moves it loses out on permanently are Tackle, Metal Sound, and Retaliate. It might be worth holding off on using a Dusk Stone for one level to get Night Slash, but its next offensive move, Iron head, comes at level 45, and you should reach the Move Relearner way before then.

So yeah, unless you want Night Slash, use the Dusk Stone as soon as you get Doublade.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Bongo Bill posted:

So 56 for sacred sword, right? He learns the shield move on evolve?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Calaveron posted:

So 56 for sacred sword, right? He learns the shield move on evolve?

No, it's a stone evolution, so no moves are learned upon evolving. You'll have to go to the Move Relearner for that one.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Nov 13, 2016

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
Quick question:

The OP posted:

Pokemon Bank update!
You won't be able to use Pokemon Bank with your brand new Sun and Moon games right out of the gate, they'll issue a patch in January that allows you to move Pokemon from Gen 6 forward as well as Pokemon from the Gen 1 VC games to your shiny Gen 7 game. There will not be any backwards compatibility between Gen 6 and 7 because gently caress you.
Does anyone know the source on this? I've been looking for confirmation that Gen 6 & Gen 7 won't be able to trade Pre-Gen7 pokemon between the two, and I wasn't able to find it. The only concrete thing I could find was that pokemon from R/B/Y wouldn't be able to get transferred up until S/M were released, which I understood as "we don't feel like patching ORAS to be able to convert old pokemon into the equivalent modern version (IE - fixing types & splitting the special stat.)"
Wasn't that the whole point of PokeBank? To make it so it wouldn't have to be a one-way trip anymore? I can understand blocking Pokemon that know new moves, but if they're both Pokebank Compatible, then they games shouldn't have any reason to prevent you from sending them back and forth.

Mainly I'm just annoyed by this because Pokemon games have a pattern where the first games in a generation don't have a convenient postgame area with the good move tutors, and I don't want to give that up when breeding competitive pokemon.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
So he evolved at level 35 (and learned Nightslash at that level too) so now I can safely evolve him and go to the move relearned (wherever he is I forget please tell me) and get those two moves right

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Calaveron posted:

So he evolved at level 35 (and learned Nightslash at that level too) so now I can safely evolve him and go to the move relearned (wherever he is I forget please tell me) and get those two moves right

Relearner is in the town with the windmill that give you access to the Frost Cavern. Bring hear scales.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Blaziken386 posted:

Quick question:

Wasn't that the whole point of PokeBank? To make it so it wouldn't have to be a one-way trip anymore?

No the point of Poke Bank was to have somewhere to store your friends from multiple games and bring them up to the new games in mass quantities easier while also having a place to store pokes from your current gen if you want to restart your game for some reason. It was never mean to be this gen-agnostic trading platform and that that should be obvious from the fact that you can't send pokemon back to gen 5.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

No the point of Poke Bank was to have somewhere to store your friends from multiple games and bring them up to the new games in mass quantities easier while also having a place to store pokes from your current gen if you want to restart your game for some reason. It was never mean to be this gen-agnostic trading platform and that that should be obvious from the fact that you can't send pokemon back to gen 5.

Well, no, that's not obvious from the fact that you can't send pokemon back to gen 5. I'm pretty sure the point of the pentagon is to just make a clean break from all previous games for competitive purposes so you're not screwed out of high level play forever because you didn't play that one gamecube game that had Refresh Salamence or didn't put Defog on everything in a gen 4 game. I'd be very surprised if you can't use your gen 6 friends in gen 7 competitive after Bank goes live.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Water Bubble has been discovered to be far better than people initially thought.

In-game description posted:

Water Bubble: Lowers the power of Fire-type moves done to the Pokémon and prevents the Pokémon from getting burned.

What it doesn't mention is that this also doubles the Base Power of all Water type moves. This does not include the boost from STAB. As a cherry on top, Araquanid also gets Entrainment.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Nov 14, 2016

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Dr. Fetus posted:

Water Bubble has been discovered to be far better than people initially thought.

What it doesn't mention is that this also doubles the Base Power of all Water type moves. This does not include the boost from STAB. As a cherry on top, Araquanid also gets Entrainment.

:stare:

Why?!

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

Lmao

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
jesus christ

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Dr. Fetus posted:

That... seems like it would be important to mention, game freak.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Dr. Fetus posted:

Well, that makes my decision for a Water teammember so much easier.

Blaine the Train
Aug 18, 2006
Choo choo, pardner.
God, I'm so glad. I was super disappointed when I saw Araquanid's offensive stats but I guess they balanced them with this in mind. Weird they don't mention it in the ability description though.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
I'm hosed because with Primarina and Bruxish that's 3 guaranteed water types on my first team though.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Dr. Fetus posted:

Well, drat. I was planning on getting one of those anyway, because they looked cool as poo poo. Nice to see that it's got a cool ability, too.

Ka0 posted:

I'm hosed because with Primarina and Bruxish that's 3 guaranteed water types on my first team though.
Yeah, my team's gonna be pretty heavily skewed towards a few types as well. From the ones I want, 3 are part fairy, 3 are part bug, and 2 are part water. But eh, what the heck. Even with type weakness, the story part of pokemon games is rarely that challenging.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
My child Wishiwashi will be strongest in his protective bubble

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Are there any benefits of buying the dual pack of both games other than getting myself a poo poo ton of Pokémon to play? And I guess potions?

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Consummate Professional posted:

Are there any benefits of buying the dual pack of both games other than getting myself a poo poo ton of Pokémon to play? And I guess potions?

dont you get a cheaper price by getting both games separately?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Only about 2000 coins to go until I can get Porygon :negative:

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009
Araquanid also gets power split which for the most part will always raise your attack and lower your oppenent's, which will make those liquidations hit even harder

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The -ate abilities have been nerfed. They got reduced from a 1.3 multiplier to a 1.2 multiplier. Yes, this includes Galvanize.

Oh, Normalize counts as an -ate ability now, so it actually got buffed in that case. :v:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
have the people who got to play early found the move relearner yet? i see a lot of mons have level 0 stuff that looks real good, when can you get those?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Dr. Fetus posted:

The -ate abilities have been nerfed. They got reduced from a 1.3 multiplier to a 1.2 multiplier. Yes, this includes Galvanize.

Oh, Normalize counts as an -ate ability now, so it actually got buffed in that case. :v:

Finally, the Delcatty based meta we have all been waiting for.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Stupid Aegislash why did you forget your coolass high powered high reward when situational moves for loving Tackle

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
Does anybody have the link to the list of new moves?

EDIT: To clarify, I mean that bigass list of all the pokemon and what moves they can learn in SuMo.

PSWII60 fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Nov 14, 2016

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

:crossarms:

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

PSWII60 posted:

Does anybody have the link to the list of new moves?

EDIT: To clarify, I mean that bigass list of all the pokemon and what moves they can learn in SuMo.

Smogon has everything aggregated. Note that both lists have errors in egg moves and beyond that you're unlikely to have access to some of them until January. Island scans exist, but don't think anybody has figured out the logic behind them yet in terms of whether they're random, semi-random or set.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

mabels big day posted:

My bad. Replace Garchomp with Infernape.

108 / 346 is a pretty notable speed tier including nape keldeo terrakion cobalion

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
im really glad as wel that talonflame is garbage now, because it was a weirdly matchup based mons when using the taunt wisp set, which beat its "counters" like 80% of the time

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Entrainment works on megas, right? I can give my main man M-Swampert water bubble?

Rain teams just got a whole lot better.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Decus posted:

Smogon has everything aggregated. Note that both lists have errors in egg moves and beyond that you're unlikely to have access to some of them until January. Island scans exist, but don't think anybody has figured out the logic behind them yet in terms of whether they're random, semi-random or set.

well i see a reference to a move relearner in the story text but nothing saying where it is, oh well

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Water Bubble Hydro Vortex crit in the rain.

The research thread is worth a read too. Burn Up is really interesting and seems well-implemented all around. Water Bubble working on z-moves sounds more questionable.

Decus fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Nov 14, 2016

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Decus posted:

Water Bubble Hydro Vortex crit in the rain.

The research thread is worth a read too. Burn Up is really interesting and seems well-implemented all around. Water Bubble working on z-moves sounds more questionable.
All these mons, lost in time, like Water Bubble Hydro Vortex crits in the rain. Time to die...

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013
So it looks like Dunsparce is getting some love. It learns Body Slam, Air Slash, and Dragon Rush by level up now.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

There hasn't been backwards compatibility since gen 2. Dunno why anyone would have expected any different this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Aurora Veil stacking with screens is unexpected