Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
lmao popular mechanics is such a rag

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
You suppose metallic hydrogen would be stable for long enough that they could load it into the National Ignition Facility and fire lasers at it?

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

moller posted:

Some yeasts produce isoamyl acetate during the fermentation process. I believe it's part of the brett character. The brett character is considered an no-no in wine, but is desirable in several beer styles.

This is super far back, (I'm catching up!) but it's not primarily isolated to Brettanomyces. Saccharomyces Cerivisae strains, particularly those isolated from breweries producing these wheat beers tend to push differing esters based around fermentation temperature. For example, fermenting with a weizen strain will push clove and spice based esters at a lower temperature (16-20ish Celsius), whereas when the temperature raises closer to 22-25C it will start to produce isoamyl acetate and the signature wheat beer banana flavour.

The beauty of yeast microbiology is that the strain is used in classic German wheat and rye beers, but the difference is that certain styles want differing balances of flavour (the rye styles prefer more of the clove whereas some wheat styles want more banana, like the Hefeweizen). Similarly, other strains, like certain Belgian strains tend to push different fruit esters at certain temperatures. I did two different beers on the exact same strain (a Belgian dubbel and Belgian quadruple) and by just changing the fermentation temperatures, more of the desired characters were brought forward or suppressed.

Brettanomyces is one of those awesome yeasts that I like a lot, due to there being so much more complexity of flavour. There's only maybe 12-15 different subspecies of Brettanomyces but the range of flavours they produce can be from overripe fruit, tartness/funk/barnyard, through to fusel alcohols, paint thinners, and band-aid flavours.

Sorry for the derail, just wanted to add my 2c :)

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Personally, I want to see how those as-seen-on-TV fitness machines stack up against The Hulk. Also: Which Hulk? Incredible, or Hogan?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I ended up looking up the article in question (Google has popular mechanics archived) and it's a mixture of sensationalist speculation and outright falsehoods. Interestingly, the Google Books version has a different cover.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
BUZZ, WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Kwyndig posted:

I ended up looking up the article in question (Google has popular mechanics archived) and it's a mixture of sensationalist speculation and outright falsehoods. Interestingly, the Google Books version has a different cover.

Sounds like every other instance of science journalism I've ever seen.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Johnny Aztec posted:

BUZZ, WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!

Wrong thread? :confused:

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Yes, sorry. Wrong Thread.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Well, I mean, if he did into a vacuum, wouldn't it go foof?

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
The Something Awful Forums › Main › Post Your Favorite (or Request): Coldly Compiled Lists › BUZZ, WHAT ARE YOU DOING: PYF dangerous chemicals/etc.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

nmfree posted:

The Something Awful Forums › Main › Post Your Favorite (or Request): Coldly Compiled Lists › FLUORINE, WHAT ARE YOU DOING: PYF dangerous chemicals/etc.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

Mustached Demon posted:

nmfree posted:

The Something Awful Forums › Main › Post Your Favorite (or Request): Coldly Compiled Lists › KLAPÖTKE, WHAT ARE YOU DOING: PYF dangerous chemicals/etc.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Isn't Unicode kind of fucky in thread titles? :v: I'd love this, though.

Also nesting quotes that deep breaks quoting you, haha

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

nmfree posted:

The Something Awful Forums › Main › Post Your Favorite (or Request): Coldly Compiled Lists › BUZZ, WHAT ARE YOU DOING: PYF dangerous chemicals/etc.

Mods plz

Squashy
Dec 24, 2005

150cc of psilocybinic power

nmfree posted:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

AlphaKretin posted:

Isn't Unicode kind of fucky in thread titles? :v: I'd love this, though.
Yeah, 7-bit ASCII only in thread titles. Ask the scandinavian threads how annoying this is. :argh:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
German convention is to substitute ‘OE’ for ‘Ö’, when the latter is unprintable.

In fact, Klapötke’s e‐mail address features that substitution.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Platystemon posted:

German convention is to substitute ‘OE’ for ‘Ö’, when the latter is unprintable.

In fact, Klapötke’s e‐mail address features that substitution.

Similarly, Ä is AE and Å is just O. How ridiculous is it? Lets ask the Finnish ex-world championship skier, Pirkko Maeaettae. (Määttä, Maatta would be "close enough".)

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I've always seen Å written as AA.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Collateral Damage posted:

I've always seen Å written as AA.

Same. Æ Ø Å = AE OE AA

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

So I was digging around on Google Patents today trying to find something, and I found something even stranger.

https://www.google.com/patents/US3115194

This is a patent for a "Nuclear reactor apparatus for earth penetration" and the more I read the more :gonk: I get. I'm fairly certain no one ever built one of these, but the idea of just letting a live reactor run unattended at temperatures hot enough to melt rock and then somehow reclaim it when it was done (remember, at this point the device is slowly falling in a bubble of magma that it's making) is just madness.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Ah, the '90s, where Virtual Reality, Cold Fusion, Flying cars were just around the corner, for real this time guys. :allears:

Kwyndig posted:

So I was digging around on Google Patents today trying to find something, and I found something even stranger.

This is a patent for a "Nuclear reactor apparatus for earth penetration" and the more I read the more :gonk: I get. I'm fairly certain no one ever built one of these, but the idea of just letting a live reactor run unattended at temperatures hot enough to melt rock and then somehow reclaim it when it was done (remember, at this point the device is slowly falling in a bubble of magma that it's making) is just madness.

Somebody heard the words 'China Syndrome' and instead said "THATS IT!". Good luck exploiting anything that followed in the wake of that madness:

quote:

Using P=2%, M=100 kg, =3 gm./cm. and D=100 cm. then L=2.88 10 cm. This corresponds to 94,000 feet, or about 18 miles. Since the earths crust is about 20 miles thick, the above calculation shows that a Needle reactor constructed and operated in accordance with the invention is capable of completely penetrating the earths crust. Even greater depths may be achieved by increas ing the initial fuel loading of the reactor core. The ultimate depth obtainable is limited by the ability of the reactors structural materials to withstand the extreme high temperatures existing at great depths. FIGURE 3 is a graphical plot of temperature and pressure within the earths crust as functions of depth.

I'm having a hard time imaging any scenario where you'd want to penetrate 18 miles into the crust. Additionally, how the gently caress you would exploit your newly incredibly radioactive hole to hell is beyond my powers of imagination.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I posted upthread about seeing a similar tech used to dig tunnels, which seems a bit more useful

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?goto=post&postid=458640269

https://www.google.com.au/patents/US3693731

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

A White Guy posted:

Ah, the '90s, where Virtual Reality, Cold Fusion, Flying cars were just around the corner, for real this time guys. :allears:

Somebody heard the words 'China Syndrome' and instead said "THATS IT!". Good luck exploiting anything that followed in the wake of that madness:

I'm having a hard time imaging any scenario where you'd want to penetrate 18 miles into the crust. Additionally, how the gently caress you would exploit your newly incredibly radioactive hole to hell is beyond my powers of imagination.

Well, the idea behind this one was to use it to gather samples and data from deep within the crust. I just can't imagine how you would actually do anything useful with that considering the amount of temperature, radiation, and pressure differential involved would skew your results.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

A White Guy posted:

You could supply a generation or two of geologists from the data collected in a controlled 18 mile penetration. The obvious problem with a nuclear drill being how would you control it or collect data.

Developing the tech has traditionally been a hard sell because the commercial form of geology is interested in crust exploitation. But it can't be stressed enough that the finer points of crust/mantle interactions are a lot of best guess hypotheses and the deeper you get the more guess like the state of the art becomes.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

There was a Duck Tales/scrooge comic or cartoon on that idea, where Gyro Gearloose built a big ball on a wire that you lowered into the earth to melt a tunnel. Of course, it melted the wires it hung from and went full China syndrome , and had to be stopped somehow. I haven't been able to dig it up with google, though.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Kwyndig posted:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

zedprime posted:

You could supply a generation or two of geologists from the data collected in a controlled 18 mile penetration.

"Controlled."

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

To be honest my real issues with the device isn't the reactor built into it, it's the fact that transmissions will not go through 18 miles of rock so there's no way to control the drat thing. Hell, I'm not even sure how you would reclaim it, any kind of tether you could attach to it would also become ridiculously hot. I wouldn't even want to price 18 miles of tungsten cable.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
We definitely discussed that upthread a few months ago. There are seriously about a thousand PhD dissertations in the kind of data you'd get back from it. Even without ever physically collecting samples, knowing the depth its at accurately and being able to track it on seismographs would give you heaps of really useful data.

I love the idea that some guy had about putting a bunch of sensors inside a ball of iron a couple of hundred metres across and then dropping it down a crack in a mid-ocean ridge (opened with a nuke, naturally) which then would proceed to sink to the transition layer between the mantle and the outer core, taking readings and giving soundings all the way.

Edit: you get your subterranean nuclear helldrill to communicate back to the surface via seismic waves, of course. Morse code delivered via some manner of magma-pump hydraulic hammer. The engineers can sort out the details.

Edit edit: found the link to the iron probe proposal.

Archived copy here.

Memento has a new favorite as of 02:50 on Nov 15, 2016

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It would be like Red Hot Nickel Ball: The Earth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnzlJtKy-2s

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

I don't remember seeing this mentioned in this thread but apparently that guy who tried to build a breeder reactor in his back yard as a teenager died a couple months back. Nothing I can find says specifically what he died of but he was only 39 so it's not much of a stretch to imagine that exposure to lots of radioactive materials might have shortened his life.

RIP Radioactive Boy Scout, your tale will live on in warnings to overeager chemistry students until the end of time.

http://arstechnica.com/science/2016/11/this-fall-the-radioactive-boy-scout-died-at-age-39/

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ol qwerty bastard posted:

I don't remember seeing this mentioned in this thread but apparently that guy who tried to build a breeder reactor in his back yard as a teenager died a couple months back. Nothing I can find says specifically what he died of but he was only 39 so it's not much of a stretch to imagine that exposure to lots of radioactive materials might have shortened his life.

RIP Radioactive Boy Scout, your tale will live on in warnings to overeager chemistry students until the end of time.

http://arstechnica.com/science/2016/11/this-fall-the-radioactive-boy-scout-died-at-age-39/

Probably Meth.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Tunicate posted:

Probably Meth.

Those weren't meth sores on his face. Though he did die in Michigan so who knows.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Memento posted:

I love the idea that some guy had about putting a bunch of sensors inside a ball of iron a couple of hundred metres across and then dropping it down a crack in a mid-ocean ridge (opened with a nuke, naturally) which then would proceed to sink to the transition layer between the mantle and the outer core, taking readings and giving soundings all the way.

Beautiful, the geological equivalent of a space probe :allears:

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Platystemon posted:

It would be like Red Hot Nickel Ball: The Earth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnzlJtKy-2s

Way to extravagantly fail the FBI penetration test, Red Hot Nickel Ball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Exit Strategy posted:

Way to extravagantly fail the FBI penetration test, Red Hot Nickel Ball.

I don't think anyone's manufacturing a weapon in 23mm RHNB, even if it would be pretty cool.