Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

i don't think this is in china. for one, everyone is going the same way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
looks like it's from independent republic of Taiwan

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
What are those things on their heads??

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Fall Sick and Die posted:

What are those things on their heads??

Wow, that's racist

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Jeoh posted:

i don't think this is in china. for one, everyone is going the same way

For another there isn't a public bus or some kind of military truck plowing though them like a train clearing snow off the tracks.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Vesi posted:

looks like it's from independent republic of Taiwan

Pretty sure it is. I've seen pictures of that hill before.

I pay 3 bucks a week for my gas while my brother pays 40 for his Camry so yes I do love my efficiency.

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
Taipei Bridge, according to the Goggles.

https://goo.gl/maps/4JbNgbzQhT22

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
does chinar even have helmet laws?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Darkman Fanpage posted:

does chinar even have helmet laws?

lol

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Boiled Water posted:

How much are they paid each? 2 cents?

As per https://www.hongkongfp.com/2016/11/14/protesters-claim-they-were-paid-to-attend-pro-beijing-rally-in-support-of-chinas-ruling-on-oath-row/ it seems the paid protester are paid between 300 and 600 HKD

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
LOL Fake protesters are cheap. Hong Kongers get HKD$600 while dirty mainlanders only get HKD$300 and some losers only got HKD$100 and lunch. All the payments are for "Transport".

quote:

Some protesters who rallied in support of Beijing’s interference in the oath-taking row have revealed that they were paid to attend Sunday’s demonstration outside the legislature.

Thousands attended the rally to voice support for Beijing’s unprecedented ruling on Hong Kong’s mini-constitution, handed down last week as a means to block lawmakers critical of China from taking office. Protesters criticised the pro-independence stance of two Hong Kong lawmakers at the centre of the controversy.
pro-beijing rally

A protester told Apple Daily on camera that she came from Shekou, Shenzhen, and was promised HK$300 as reimbursement for transport. She said Hongkongers were paid HK$300 more than mainland participants. She said she came to Hong Kong alone, and did not know when or how she would receive the payment. Asked whether she knew what the demonstration was about, the protester said: “I am just hanging out here and watching [the rally].”

Another rally-goer, 12, also told Apple Daily on camera that participants would be given HK$100 and free meals after the demonstration. She said her parents brought her to the rally, and criticised Youngspiration’s lawmakers Yau Wai-ching and Baggio Leung Chung-hang for promoting Hong Kong independence. She said: “They are Chinese people, so why are they protesting against China?” The demonstrator said that she did not know the content of Beijing’s ruling, but she believed the decision would not affect Hong Kong’s rule of law.

An attendee told the Ming Pao newspaper that she registered for the event with three other family members through the Confederacy of Hong Kong Shanwei Clansmen. She said they would be paid HK$600 after the protest. She added that they were required to sign in with the Confederacy upon arrival, and would need to sign out before collecting the payment.

A Chinese participant, who has been living in Hong Kong for nine years, told Apple Daily that Beijing’s ruling was about “kicking out two lawmakers,” although she could only name Youngspiration’s Yau. Another Mandarin-speaking attendee said she did not know the purpose of the demonstration.

Before the rally began, the protest organisers said on stage that all of the participants were patriots and were not paid to attend the event. It would be a smear if people accused the demonstrators of being motivated by money, the organisers said.

They asked anyone who suspected protesters received payment to report to the police.

The organisers said more than 40,000 people attended the rally, while Hong Kong police said there were 28,500 participants at its peaks. Pro-Beijing lawmaker Priscilla Leung said that the high turnout proved that many people are against the idea of Hong Kong independence.

A pro-democracy rally in protest against Beijing’s interference held last month was attended by about 13,000 people, according to the organiser. Organiser Au Nok-hin said that the two events differed in that pro-China demonstrators were paid to participate, while pro-democracy protesters sacrificed their time without reward.

loving Mainlanders.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
“They are Chinese people, so why are they protesting against China?”

She said while holding a different passport and currency than Chinese, who need to buy a special permit to make more than two free trips per year into Hong Kong.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
I always find it funny how on hand HK is derided in China for licking the boots of their imperial overlords, yet on the other hand HK independence is this grave and serious insult. Several Chinese people I've talked to genuinely believe that China somehow liberated HK from under the British yoke and that HK'ers should be grateful towards Beijing.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
I've had this conversation multiple times today:

Me: "I need a hair cut. I want to find a good place to get a hair cut. Do you know of one?"
Them: "Just cut your own hair. You save money."
Me: "No, I want to keep the style I have. I don't know how to cut hair, and I am not going to buzz my hair off like 99% of Chinese men."
Them: "But you save money! You don't like saving money?"
Me: "I am not cutting my own hair. If I could cut my own hair as good as a barber or stylist, we wouldn't be having this conversation."
Them: "Why do you not like to save money? That is the price of a dinner. You can go to eat dinner and cut your own hair!"
Me: "Ok."
Them: "You will cut your own hair now?"
Me: "No."
Them: "You can save money!!"

And that's how I learned the reason why a majority of Chinese men buzz their hair and all look exactly the same.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fish and chips and dip posted:

I always find it funny how on hand HK is derided in China for licking the boots of their imperial overlords, yet on the other hand HK independence is this grave and serious insult. Several Chinese people I've talked to genuinely believe that China somehow liberated HK from under the British yoke and that HK'ers should be grateful towards Beijing.

Pfff ahhahahah, no way I could keep a straight face if someone told me that. I would then tell them to gently caress off back to the mainland.

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh

Haier posted:

My old lab partner from college added me on Facebook recently. She was like "OMG, tell me about China!? So cool you ended up there. Blah blah." and I wrote this huge GBS post about how it's not what she thinks and then I stopped and read it again and felt I looked ridiculous even if everything is totally true, so I deleted it and said China has 5000 years of culture and be careful of some of the food because you get the squirts. I recommended she take a trip here some time for vacation, because I am totally sure she'd love it and how culturally rich it is.

Yeah, nobody believes expat stories about China. North Americans in particular. The more liberal they are the less they believe.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
I loving hate people who broadcast their lovely dramas so the whole train or bus can hear. I guess I should admire their saving skills to save those 15rmb ear phones cost, my my.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I loving hate people who broadcast their lovely dramas so the whole train or bus can hear. I guess I should admire their saving skills to save those 15rmb ear phones cost, my my.

ear phones are bad for healthy, they keep the heat inside the body, you cannot have the fresh air go inside the head

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Haier posted:

And that's how I learned the reason why a majority of Chinese men buzz their hair and all look exactly the same.

I think there might be a couple other reasons, too...

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009
Old people walking around blasting horrific attempts at music from those lovely radios whilst clapping their hands are worse.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
When it comes to low taxation and free market, it's 2 systems. When it's about politics and soverignty it's one country!

Basically SARs. It was 2005 and the city came to a stand still. No tourism, no investment nothing. That's when the economic flood gates opened. People from 17 mainland cities could visit Hong Kong on an individual basis. The economy got jumped started and got back on its feet.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
That taxi accident happened about 3 metres in front of me. I called 999 right away instead of gawking and taking pictures like half the bystanders.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
i'm the old man in the shower who won't stop checking you out while practically screaming some chinese song. i'm still the old guy when i finish the shower and go to blow dry my butthole and pubes, while still singing, tho it sounds like screaming to you. i'm also the old guy when i go to dress myself, put on my socks, my undershirt, and then have a screaming 14 minute conversation with some other guy about eating food. i'm no longer the old guy when he leaves. my out of body experience has finished. then i'm just left with a feeling of loneliness and destitution, while i'm in a quiet locker room

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

The Great Autismo! posted:

i'm the old man in the shower who won't stop checking you out while practically screaming some chinese song. i'm still the old guy when i finish the shower and go to blow dry my butthole and pubes, while still singing, tho it sounds like screaming to you. i'm also the old guy when i go to dress myself, put on my socks, my undershirt, and then have a screaming 14 minute conversation with some other guy about eating food. i'm no longer the old guy when he leaves. my out of body experience has finished. then i'm just left with a feeling of loneliness and destitution, while i'm in a quiet locker room
LOL, just LOL if you don't immediately exit the gym in your sweaty clothes and wear them home.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

I'm sure we could come up with a Chinese bath house/sauna bingo card just from stuff we have personally experienced.

Old guy who walks over to you using the urinal and literally peers over the barrier/your shoulder so I can check out your pepper (bonus points if he sucks air/smacks lips while doing so)
Also the old guy who has active herpes sores all over his mouth and dilz because I use cheap hookers/share bottles with guys who do (bonus points if he spits on the floor at any time)
Don't forget the guy with the feet caked in fungus, and the 2" toenails (bonus points if he has at least one foot up on the benches more often than not)
Don't you love the old guy who decides to take a piss in one of the shower stalls and turns his back to the wall mid-piss (bonus points for pissing far enough away that it will not drain by itself)
Guy clip his head off a locker/bench because he was too drunk and tried to take off one of his socks. (bonus points if he passes out/sprays blood)

Worst thing I ever saw was a guy's water (from the shower) turn from clear to brown for about 15 seconds as it ran through his rear end crack and pooled on the floor below him (he obviously just took a poo poo and never bothered to wipe). I turned off my shower and moved two positions further from him. This was not something that was commonplace as an older Chinese guy on the other side of him shot me an "oh poo poo look" and moved another two positions away from him like I did.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

They don't have baby powder in China? or is it all laced with uranium or something?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

That would give it value. More likely asbestos.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

I never went to a Chinese bath house while there since I had my own shower but I imagine it's not much better for women

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

nickmeister posted:

They don't have baby powder in China? or is it all laced with uranium or something?

"Omg, who would fake baby powder?!?" And nobody would be surprised if it's dioxine laced poo poo or actual quicklime.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

C-SPAN Caller posted:

I never went to a Chinese bath house while there since I had my own shower but I imagine it's not much better for women
Not locker room chat, but My ex-GF told me that when she was taking women's swimming lessons she would often see women put on their bathing suits on and not tuck the bush into the suit. It would be bursting out on either side of the crotch portion and she said it always made her giggle like a child, especially because nobody gave any fucks and it was often younger women with this problem.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
i went to a korean bathhouse (seoul) and would love to go back.
i went to a japanese bathhouse (few different places) and i go every time i'm in japan. it's so awesome.
i went to a chinese bathhouse (tianjin and beijing) and i would not go back unless i was forced to against my will for people that i loved and cared about.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Haier posted:

Not locker room chat, but My ex-GF told me that when she was taking women's swimming lessons she would often see women put on their bathing suits on and not tuck the bush into the suit. It would be bursting out on either side of the crotch portion and she said it always made her giggle like a child, especially because nobody gave any fucks and it was often younger women with this problem.

as someone who works out solely by swimming, i go to a university pool to swim and if i get there during a university class, you will see pubic hair busting out all over the place. the problem is swimsuits they sell (which are like professional or sport swim suits that are super tight), they sell to beginning swimming students, who just kinda of flop around, wave their arms in the water, and have no idea how high cut they are. that or the people just walk around and will literally just bump into you even if you try to ignore them. this may sound nice but it is also full of dudes who do not know how to wear a speedo.

i wish there was a pool that didn't have this problem, but all the pools are either at high schools or universities. :X

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

i went to a korean bathhouse (seoul) and would love to go back.
i went to a japanese bathhouse (few different places) and i go every time i'm in japan. it's so awesome.
i went to a chinese bathhouse (tianjin and beijing) and i would not go back unless i was forced to against my will for people that i loved and cared about.
What's the difference between Korean and Japanese ones? The ones I visited in Japan were pretty much the same as the ones here, only gender segregated and nude

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
that is very nasty

how could the japanese and koreans be so clean, but china, so not clean

how

were 1800's chinese bathhouses awful places of filth

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
Well, in a lot of the world, the word bathhouse actually refers more to what we would call public baths, that is, where the public go to bathe. In these places they are places of basic hygiene rather than relaxation and cleansing.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy
Europe, with less than 5000 years of history, no longer considers bathing unhealthy. Perhaps Chinese know better?

E: From when do the 5000 years begin? Will there eventually be 5100 years of history in glorious Chinar?

Potrzebie fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Nov 14, 2016

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Potrzebie posted:

Europe, with less than 5000 years of history, no longer considers bathing unhealthy. Perhaps Chinese know better?

E: From when do the 5000 years begin? Will there eventually be 5100 years of history in glorious Chinar?

Maybe in 2000 years the 5000 years will be accurate :v:

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Let us English posted:

Yeah, nobody believes expat stories about China. North Americans in particular. The more liberal they are the less they believe.

If by more liberal you mean either more liberal or a retarded neocon, then yeah.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Potrzebie posted:

There are already 5100 years if you think about it, you do not understand China 5000 years, have 5100, also 10,000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Sheep-Goats posted:

If by more liberal you mean either more liberal or a retarded neocon, then yeah.

You can think China will start exerting more and more geopolitical power as the 21st century progresses without believing they're about to overtake the US any day now. Even if they love to poo poo in the street

• Locked thread