Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Baron Corbyn posted:

Would making anybody at war with the county holder also hostile to the raiding party work as a fix or would that cause some problem I'm not thinking of?

That would make the game less annoying and more fun, can't have that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Baron Corbyn posted:

Would making anybody at war with the county holder also hostile to the raiding party work as a fix or would that cause some problem I'm not thinking of?

It'd ruin the nicely flavourful strategy of picking wartorn countries to raid. Whenever a country's getting demolished in a war against someone who completely outclasses them and I'm playing Norse, I sweep in to add insult to injury. If I had to worry about the attacking armies going after me as well, that would be ruined.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Eric the Mauve posted:

That would make the game less annoying and more fun, can't have that.

Not sure it'd be more fun to have to fight every raider in the area as well as my enemy TBH, and even if you have to help a raider siege down a castle - you'd have to siege it anyway to take it, all that happens is that they get to loot it too and wander off before you re-siege the empty castles in a day.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

A regency in all but name.

Trait mods rock though, my heir is a terrifying erudite brawny albino sociopath :v: The martial boost is a bit ridicolous though.

EDIT: He became a terrifying king, who of course requires an appropriate nemesis...such as a ten year old girl:

COUNCIL! WE MUST PREPARE FOR WAR! :argh:

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Nov 13, 2016

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
So I have a vassal duke (well, Satrap, but who's counting) who's title I'm able to usurp. He's the only one, I can't usurp titles from any of my other vassals.

Is this a bug, or are there some obscure conditions that allow you to do this normally? Maybe something to do with strong claims?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Darkrenown posted:

Not sure it'd be more fun to have to fight every raider in the area as well as my enemy TBH, and even if you have to help a raider siege down a castle - you'd have to siege it anyway to take it, all that happens is that they get to loot it too and wander off before you re-siege the empty castles in a day.

I had a reply typed up that was super sarcastic but thought better of it. Instead I'll just say that while I love CK2, I hate everything about raiding mechanics when I'm on the receiving rather than dishing out end of them.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

So I have a vassal duke (well, Satrap, but who's counting) who's title I'm able to usurp. He's the only one, I can't usurp titles from any of my other vassals.

Is this a bug, or are there some obscure conditions that allow you to do this normally? Maybe something to do with strong claims?

I think you can usurp vassal titles if you have a claim on them, yeah.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

The Court: :stare:
The People: :stare:
Buddha: :catstare:

*screaming laughter*

*sniff* I love this game so much

EDIT: "What do you mean I am "a horrible abomination sent by god to torment us and the rest of the world is blessed that we live at the edge of the globe", you're supposed to be my Council, drat it! What is more honorable then settling a grievance in single combat?!"

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Nov 13, 2016

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

DarkCrawler posted:

*a king named The Destroyer murders a 16 year old girl in personal combat*

lol

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

And he's named that because he is a hulking monstrously strong sociopathic albino master strategist with a 41 martial score and 13 personal combat score

it was uh, less then honorable (even if he had not used dirty tricks to win)

(since then said king has also hanged two syphilic wives and two plotting sisters, literally everyone hates me, I can only assume that they're too terrified to act)

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Nov 13, 2016

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Destroyer?? I hardly know her!

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

I picked this game up like a year or two ago in some steam bundle, and only recently began watching some LPs and figuring out what the hell I'm doing.

I was looking at the DLC for this game and the list is shall we say...long. I don't give two squats about portrait packs and whatnot, which ones are the gameplay DLCs worth buying? And do they ever go on sale? I'd rather not spend $150 on DLC for a 4 year old game.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

TheDon01 posted:

I picked this game up like a year or two ago in some steam bundle, and only recently began watching some LPs and figuring out what the hell I'm doing.

I was looking at the DLC for this game and the list is shall we say...long. I don't give two squats about portrait packs and whatnot, which ones are the gameplay DLCs worth buying? And do they ever go on sale? I'd rather not spend $150 on DLC for a 4 year old game.

They go on sale really often, you should definitely wait it out. Especially with the Xmas sale in a month or so.

The big expansion DLCs are listed here; the most important of those, imo, are The Old Gods, Way of Life, Legacy of Rome (for retinues) and uhh Sons of Abraham I guess? Other than that go for whichever extra ones unlock playing as a subset you're interested in.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Essential:
The Old Gods
Way of Life

Makes gameplay more interesting for everyone:
Legacy of Rome
The Conclave

Lots of cool QOL stuff combined with one giant pain in the rear end "feature" that constantly kills your dudes:
Reaper's Due

Niche Interests:
Sword of Islam (playable muslims)
The Republic (playable republics)
Sons of Abraham (Jews, lots of cool events, requestable crusades)
Rajas of India (Buddhists / Jains / Hindus)
Charlemagne (super-early start date, some cool toys for empires)
Horse Lord (good if you plan on playing in the East even as a non-nomad)

Trash-tier garbage, don't encourage Paradox by paying money for it:
Sunset Invasion

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

So in my Zoroastrian game the Byzantine Empire has become huge, like 45k levies with a poo poo leader and more like 60k if they get a military genius. I cap out at around 23-25k. I managed to beat them twice through a combination of superior maneuvering and them also fighting other wars but the third time I got completely clobbered and had to spend the next few years fighting off opportunistic rebels and Muslim jihads.

What's the best way to destabilize a large empire like that? Also, I could technically swear fealty to them, but as I understand it the Byzantines can do a lot of special extra-nasty stuff to vassals they don't like; should I just be worried about blinding / castration / etc, or do they have special revocation privileges as well?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Kill their ruler. A new leader, particularly a child or someone with awful traits, can provoke rebellions and will at least have considerably smaller levies.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

It would have been much more CK2 if you'd lost that duel. Which seems to happen to me distressingly often, tbh.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Roland Jones posted:

Kill their ruler. A new leader, particularly a child or someone with awful traits, can provoke rebellions and will at least have considerably smaller levies.

Assassination plots across religion groups are almost impossible to pull off, since nobody wants to join your plots. I check from time to time but I'm lucky if I can get it above 30% plot power.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Use your spymaster to spread rumors about the basileus and use your chancellor to agitate vassals that aren't yet in factions, particularly ones that have border territories that you can scoop up if they revolt. And of course, murder the guy if he's strong and his heir isn't. Sabotaging his opinions can make this more feasible.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
You can also swear fealty and use the intrigue focus until you imprison them. If you also get a sufficiently powerful faction behind you, it's possible to force through that faction's demand.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Gee, thanks dad

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Is it possibly to switch a culture's default portraits? I went into cultures.txt and changed the "________gfx" part but it didn't do anything in game

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Sunset Invasion is fun and also pretty cheap usually

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
I always turn on sunset invasion to have a tiny chance of it happening bc I ownnit so why not, but I don't really get it, do they succumb to smallpox? If not do they explain why?

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Darth Windu posted:

I always turn on sunset invasion to have a tiny chance of it happening bc I ownnit so why not, but I don't really get it, do they succumb to smallpox? If not do they explain why?
There are events that talk about smallpox and other European diseases ravaging the Americas, but I don't remember it actually affecting the invaders in any way.
It's supposed to be goofy and ahistorical.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

There are events that talk about smallpox and other European diseases ravaging the Americas, but I don't remember it actually affecting the invaders in any way.
It's supposed to be goofy and ahistorical.

It takes place in a bizarro Europe where instead of Europeans going to the Americas and infecting them with smallpox, they come to Europe and infect the Europeans with syphilis.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I really, really hope CK2 at some point just gives us a straight-up fantasy mod. Grab your sword and ride out to defeat the Dragon that's ravaging your northern lands, but maybe you can ally with it (or tame it if they're non-sentient) and unleash it on your enemies instead. Meanwhile, France has uncovered a book of black magic and the Pope has excommunicated them- do you destroy the book or hide it in your own lands and hope the Pope doesn't find out?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Trash-tier garbage, don't encourage Paradox by paying money for it:
Sunset Invasion

You are so very wrong. Sunset Invasion makes playing in Western Europe much more interesting.

Elias_Maluco posted:

Sunset Invasion is fun and also pretty cheap usually

This guy knows what is up :hf:

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Sky Shadowing posted:

I really, really hope CK2 at some point just gives us a straight-up fantasy mod. Grab your sword and ride out to defeat the Dragon that's ravaging your northern lands, but maybe you can ally with it (or tame it if they're non-sentient) and unleash it on your enemies instead. Meanwhile, France has uncovered a book of black magic and the Pope has excommunicated them- do you destroy the book or hide it in your own lands and hope the Pope doesn't find out?

So game of thrones mod

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
There are plenty of fantasy-mods. None of then is very good, in my experience

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

crisis of the confederation is good

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
My 14 year old Emperor got "The Great" title.

Pretty impressive for a kid who can't even make his own decisions yet. I think it triggered when I won a small Crusade

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
I love the AI sometimes. I installed my character's wife as the ruler of the Byzantines so I could play loyal/evil vassal for awhile, and she went mad with power and ended up getting the title of "The Monster" to go along with my character's "The Butcher". Evil power couple ahoy!

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Elias_Maluco posted:

There are plenty of fantasy-mods. None of then is very good, in my experience

There is the Game of Thrones mod, which I found incredibly boring (granted it's been a long time since I played it.) Essentially it forces you to play "paint the map." And initially, crown authority was so high that if you played anything below the King level, you couldn't actually declare war on other vassals. You could only "expand" by playing marriage and baby sim and hoping for the best.

I also tried the Oblivion mod once, but I really don't care for the Oblivion universe at all, so it too was boring as hell.

I did want to try out the Warhammer mod. Is that any good?

tombom
Mar 8, 2006

ZombieLenin posted:

I did want to try out the Warhammer mod. Is that any good?

Performance can be bad but in general I've been enjoying it, there's no big blobs and a decent amount of different fleshed out ways to play (eg Chaos nomads, dwarfs, regular Empire/Brettonia human, orcs/goblins etc). Very impressive considering what it is and imo there's a lot more fun to be had than the game of thrones mod. I agree with your opinion on that by the way, Westeros itself is pretty tedious because it's just constantly trying to claim the iron throne then nothing much happening. It's maybe more polished than the warhammer one but there's less to actually do.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
If you wait for the sale and buy the package for like 75% off, sunset invasion will be in it. It's probably got everything up to and probably including horse Lords by now

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

After the End is the best mod.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

I think you mean Elder Kings

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten

Party In My Diapee posted:

I think you mean Elder Kings

Have they updated it recently yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Is After the End any good? It would be nice to have a different map to paint.

• Locked thread