Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Salvor_Hardin posted:

One thing I've found that is frustrating is that coastal cities are at a huge disadvantage. With districts now competing with workable tiles having as many as possible is more important than ever.

There is only one water-based district which is frankly gimped compared to the commercial district. There are no civics or wonders or anything that make working ocean tiles worthwhile and even the resource tiles are pretty weak compared to industrial era hills with only a basic mine.

This is all compounded by having citizens working in districts being weak as hell. Do they not even give great people points like in previous Civs?

Harbors give you an extra trade route which is a huge deal. But yes it's probably better to build the city inland and have like just a handful of water tiles in the radius

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Adjacency bonuses seem like a total waste of a policy slot. Like, is there a case in which getting double output from buildings would be worse than the adjacency boost? Like I guess if you built the districts but didn't build anything in it for 100 turns?

You get districts adjacency bonus cards earlier then building bonuses. Plus you can run both.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Idea for harbor. Add this tiles yield to all water tiles.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Powercrazy posted:

Or at least adjacent water tiles.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

maybe they could have the lighthouse give water tiles +1 food

just spitballing here

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Add shore batteries to harbor.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Harbors give you an extra trade route which is a huge deal. But yes it's probably better to build the city inland and have like just a handful of water tiles in the radius

This is why I specifically cited the commercial district which does the same thing but is almost guarenteed to give more gold.

I will say the secondary buildings on Harbor are solid but it's still rough to give up a bunch of tiles.

Nova Odin
Jul 13, 2014

Powercrazy posted:

This mod took a stab at it:

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/improved-water-yields-updated.603384/

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

How do you install mods? The game doesn't have a Workshop section on Steam (which is where I always install mods for other games).

Is this like Skyrim/Fallout etc. where you install everything manually via a third-party system?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

enraged_camel posted:

How do you install mods? The game doesn't have a Workshop section on Steam (which is where I always install mods for other games).

Is this like Skyrim/Fallout etc. where you install everything manually via a third-party system?

Just copy/paste the folder into the DLC folder. Some require a folder in root too, most will explain.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

homullus posted:

How many requests for peace did you decline while you jacked half their poo poo?

Like 500 when idgaf and I just want to make them go away permanently. But in the above scenario I usually take the peace offer right away - this is early game when half their poo poo refers to a couple of cities, trade routes, and settlers.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Some district buildings give you citizen slots. What do they do, exactly?

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

My game was crashing everytime at the exact same moment, when Gorgo AI was having its turn. Just straight to desktop, no error message. So I was thinking it was something the AI was doing which made the crash happen.
My fourth try, I reloaded again but this time before I clicked 'next turn', I declared war on Gorgo. And it worked! No more crash and I could play again.

I believe that my declaration of war changed Gorgo's 'plan', so whatever it was doing before made the game crash.

You can also crash your game by changing civics when the 'reassign trade route' window is open. So set your autosaves to every turn!

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Prav posted:

maybe they could have the lighthouse give water tiles +1 food

just spitballing here

get your wacky rear end ideas outta here bro

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Operant posted:

Never play on a Pangaea map with religious victory turned on if you don't want to hate yourself.

If you turn off religious victory, does the AI stop with the missionaries and apostles? That would be super-sweet.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

prefect posted:

If you turn off religious victory, does the AI stop with the missionaries and apostles? That would be super-sweet.
Nope, not at all. :catholic: :catholic: :catholic:

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

It would be cool if maybe some districts could be placed on coastal tiles, or maybe a policy card required to do it or something. Having a quay with an entertainment district next to your harbor or something, would be kinda cool.

I'll tell you, one of the things that gave me so many more hours with Civ 5 was the In Game Editor mod/tool. I loved to just create scenarios on the fly, like creating weird terrain or giving AIs weird techs at odd times, or doing all sorts of wacky stuff.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Smol posted:

Some district buildings give you citizen slots. What do they do, exactly?

They let you assign a worker to a poo poo job related to the district that gives you +2 science/culture/faith. It's pretty worthless unless you have already built everything you need in the city and you have hit your population limit.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

prefect posted:

Hahahaha nope :science:

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

I wonder if you can edit the cost of religious units to be so ridiculous they'd never make them. Or just delete them from the game. But I'm sure the AI would still try to spam them.

How I deal with it is just not caring about religion and letting everyone convert my cities to whatever they want.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I am not sure if making missionaries/apostles/inquisitors work like spies would make the system better or worse.

(maybe if they fix the spy ui first)

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Religion should just be a passive thing. Let your religion spread naturally,. With religious pressure that you can manipulate with buildings and wonders.

It also shouldn't be a victory type.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I got bored with Science/Domination victories and tried out Cultural. Have a couple questions.

1) What the gently caress do I do with "Great Musicians"? Couldn't find anywhere to use them and no good documentation on it.

2) Would I get Gold for deleting one of the "Great Persons"? At some point you just don't have space for their works and a huge chunk of Gold would be a nice trade-off than just putting them to sleep. I'm assuming they don't provide a benefit just by existing?

3) If another Civ is going hard for a Cultural Victory, do we have to go to war at some point? It seems impossible to win if another Civ is doing well in this area. Kongo and myself were both essentially tied going into the late game in culture. Both had like 200 tourists. Didn't seem like either of us would be able to gain enough ground on each other in this area.

One thing I wish they'd do differently is how it handles the works of art. You currently need spots to display them. That makes sense from a culture and tourism standpoint, but I'd like to be able to have a Great Artist build a piece of art even if there is no space to display it. Perhaps it gets put in your inventory in the capital. You won't generate culture or tourism from it because it's not displayed, but you'd be able to trade it to other Civs. This would seemingly help alleviate the problem of a Civ having a bunch of "Great Persons" sitting around doing nothing.

I do like how espionage plays into the cultural victory. Was kind of fun sending spies out to steal works of art from other Civs.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

John F Bennett posted:

Religion should just be a passive thing. Let your religion spread naturally,. With religious pressure that you can manipulate with buildings and wonders.

It also shouldn't be a victory type.

I agree. I hate that it's a victory type. Would rather see some economic victory of sorts (more gold than all the other Civs combined?).

I wish they'd streamline it at least. When you create a missionary, you should just be given a menu that lets you pick the city you want to send them to. Kind of like how trade routes work. Once they reach the city they do their thing and that's it. Treating them like regular units just makes the game much more tedious. And if they must keep the current system in place, maybe make the units more powerful but cost much more faith so the map isn't littered with them.

I'm convinced that the people who make this never play past the 300th turn.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Ed Beach himself said that they had permanent AI games running. Sometimes I think that's the only way they tested this otherwise great game.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Niwrad posted:

I got bored with Science/Domination victories and tried out Cultural. Have a couple questions.

1) What the gently caress do I do with "Great Musicians"? Couldn't find anywhere to use them and no good documentation on it.

You can build Broadway or the Sydney Opera House or a Broadcast Center and have them create their works there.

Niwrad posted:

2) Would I get Gold for deleting one of the "Great Persons"? At some point you just don't have space for their works and a huge chunk of Gold would be a nice trade-off than just putting them to sleep. I'm assuming they don't provide a benefit just by existing?

Yes, you get great cash for deleting great people.

Niwrad posted:

One thing I wish they'd do differently is how it handles the works of art. You currently need spots to display them. That makes sense from a culture and tourism standpoint, but I'd like to be able to have a Great Artist build a piece of art even if there is no space to display it. Perhaps it gets put in your inventory in the capital. You won't generate culture or tourism from it because it's not displayed, but you'd be able to trade it to other Civs. This would seemingly help alleviate the problem of a Civ having a bunch of "Great Persons" sitting around doing nothing.

Or maybe if they dramatically increased the amount of spaces you have to store great art. Or let great works go into libraries or universities, even. Pretty sure you can fit "Hamlet" in your local athenaeum.

Niwrad posted:

I do like how espionage plays into the cultural victory. Was kind of fun sending spies out to steal works of art from other Civs.

This is pretty great, although you can't steal anything if you have nowhere to display it. :argh:

And you'd think that once a piece of art is stolen and then some other civ suddenly starts getting tourists to see that piece of art, you'd be able to figure out who did it.

Edit: upon second thought, you can trade great works between civs, so it's not as cut-and-dried as I had first thought.

prefect fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Nov 14, 2016

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Thanks! That helps a lot.

Haven't come across the broadcast center yet but maybe that's because I neglected science so much and didn't get to the radio tech till late. You'd think they'd have something for earlier in the game because I got that "Great Musician" early on and regardless of my science he was going to have to sit around a while.

I rarely played for cultural victories in V but I think I'm going to be doing it a lot in VI. Just a really fun experience.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Niwrad posted:

Thanks! That helps a lot.

Haven't come across the broadcast center yet but maybe that's because I neglected science so much and didn't get to the radio tech till late. You'd think they'd have something for earlier in the game because I got that "Great Musician" early on and regardless of my science he was going to have to sit around a while.

I rarely played for cultural victories in V but I think I'm going to be doing it a lot in VI. Just a really fun experience.

There's also a great merchant(?) who will give you two great work slots in a bank, and those slots can store anything. But yeah, you will get too many writers and you will get musicians too early. And then you will get too many musicians. :(

I really wish some super-spergs would get all the Civ VI data into a wiki; I would love to read about all the random great people and great works and so forth. There's a lot of little things going on in there.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

GoGoGadget posted:

I wonder if you can edit the cost of religious units to be so ridiculous they'd never make them. Or just delete them from the game. But I'm sure the AI would still try to spam them.

How I deal with it is just not caring about religion and letting everyone convert my cities to whatever they want.

The problem is really that religious units can gently caress up your own civilian and military unit movement within your own borders, or even block access so you can't eg. put improvements on hexes with engineers or builders. Unless you fight them with your own religious units, pay disproportionate attention (due to lack of a sentry command) to intercept them at your borders or outright wage war against the NPC, they can and will do this with no penalty and the more religious-minded NPC civs there are, the worse it gets.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

orcane posted:

The problem is really that religious units can gently caress up your own civilian and military unit movement within your own borders, or even block access so you can't eg. put improvements on hexes with engineers or builders. Unless you fight them with your own religious units, pay disproportionate attention (due to lack of a sentry command) to intercept them at your borders or outright wage war against the NPC, they can and will do this with no penalty and the more religious-minded NPC civs there are, the worse it gets.

There needs to be a sentry command or a Distant Early Warning system, because I never colonize the frozen wastelands, and barbarians keep spawning out there every so often. And then I find out when they pillage something. :mad:

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Bring back corporations and make economy a victory type. I like Religion as an option, but there should be a way to combat religion without having a religion.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Gyshall posted:

Bring back corporations and make economy a victory type. I like Religion as an option, but there should be a way to combat religion without having a religion.

I'm imagining corporations working exactly like religion, with swarms of executives clogging the map as they engage each other in fiscal combat

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Spakstik posted:

I'm imagining corporations working exactly like religion, with swarms of executives clogging the map as they engage each other in fiscal combat

They should tie it into the trade system where you win by having your corporation's exports reach a trigger point. That would also make international trade routes useful - I don't think I've run external trade routes outside of a game I played as Russia.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Spakstik posted:

"Hostile Takeover"

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

TyrantWD posted:

They should tie it into the trade system where you win by having your corporation's exports reach a trigger point. That would also make international trade routes useful - I don't think I've run external trade routes outside of a game I played as Russia.

The problem with international trade is that it isn't as simple as "exports good". You could probably get economists to argue forever about how you would "win" at trade.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Really, it's not the actual product. It's the brand that matters.

Which means that you could reskin religion as corporations and it would work the same.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

prefect posted:

The problem with international trade is that it isn't as simple as "exports good". You could probably get economists to argue forever about how you would "win" at trade.

You could say the same about winning at science or religion or culture.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I wish there were more documentation about how religious radiation works. Does the radiation come from citizens who follow a religion? Does it come from holy sites? What about wonders? How far does it reach? How strong is it? Can you get it strong enough that missionaries catch fire if they come too close?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Spakstik posted:

Civilization Call to Power.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

John F Bennett posted:

Ed Beach himself said that they had permanent AI games running. Sometimes I think that's the only way they tested this otherwise great game.

I'm guessing they only looked for functional problems/crashes in those AI games. The pre-release AI battle royale stream was a pretty good representation of the final product as nothing interesting happened and it was boring as hell.