Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Investment in Infrastructure leads to Economic Growth. The line itself may not be profitable but workers having mobility over all leads to economic growth.

Europe and the EU would be a desolate wasteland without their rail lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Hollismason posted:

Investment in Infrastructure leads to Economic Growth.

Ironically that's one of the very few things that Trump probably understands.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

yellowyams posted:

I've been completely terrified and shaky and nauseous for a week, I can't tell when people are being serious or not anymore, are people in this thread just joking or are we actually going to die from this? We have no choice in the process?

I'm joking, but I'm joking because that is how I process grief, and I do expect to be murdered at some point by an emboldened redhat or a police officer. I will not be surprised or disappointed when it happens. :lol:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Hollismason posted:

Investment in Infrastructure leads to Economic Growth. The line itself may not be profitable but workers having mobility over all leads to economic growth.

Europe and the EU would be a desolate wasteland without their rail lines.

agreed, but high speed rail is not the answer to increase rural/suburban labor access to urban job markets. it has a specific purpose, and is not just another way to say "go fast train"

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

This is unironiclly a real thing to hope for lol

I'll drink to it.

Peven Stan posted:

HSR is not profitable in China and everyone knows it. The government does it because infrastructure doesn't exist to turn a profit. Otherwise interstates would've never been built and overbuilt like they are today.
This is the exact reason the trolley tracks were taken out in southern California. Land speculators ran them for a loss so they could sell land further afield for more money. Once the land was sold, they took out the trolleys. Sad fact of it, they just don't pay for themselves.

E: this is from a pure profit perspective. If the government funds them and they operate well, yes, they create more wealth via economic growth.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

boner confessor posted:

agreed, but high speed rail is not the answer. it has a specific purpose, and is not just another way to say "go fast train"

It's specific purpose is greater mobility of workers and job seekers in the United States. It's all about labor mobility. Do you not understand that? Faster trains can go farther in shorter time frames.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

This is the exact reason the trolley tracks were taken out in southern California. Land speculators ran then for a loss so they could sell land further afield for more money. Once the land was sold, they took out the trolleys. Sad fact of it, they just don't pay for themselves.

the demise of streetcars across america have a number of different causes, but in many places fares were kept artifically low by local ordinance which just made the funding problem worse. once upon a time though for-profit transit provision was possible, nearly all streetcars began as private enterprise

Hollismason posted:

It's specific purpose is greater mobility of workers and job seekers in the United States. It's all about labor mobility. Do you not understand that?

dude it should be embarassingly clear at this point that i understand it way better than you do

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

hidden gem:

https://twitter.com/TimesofIsrael/status/797894329352097792

https://twitter.com/KeithOlbermann/status/797989001038659584

Newt is, once again, a despicable human being.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Reid just going full on bomb thrower is nice to behold.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

crazy cloud posted:

I'm joking, but I'm joking because that is how I process grief, and I do expect to be murdered at some point by an emboldened redhat or a police officer. I will not be surprised or disappointed when it happens. :lol:

Same, I think we should all look into life insurance so at least we can help our families out when the inevitable happens.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?

boner confessor posted:

sure, but the federal government is literally forbidden from exercising this kind of control over american travel patterns on a micro scale, and on a macro scale we basically handle this via airlines because it would cost huge wads of money to build dedicated new high speed rail right of way across america. typically the DOT helps out with local transit through block grants and these are certainly one of the things to be cut in trump's next budget

I think this is the kind of information my fellow transit nerds are looking for sources on. Not because of a lack of belief, I definitely believe you on this one, but what interests me is how this sort of thing came about. I know it's heavily political and related to the interstate highway system and American car culture in general, but this sounds like it was enshrined into law somewhere and I've never heard of it. Seeing where the law(s) is(are) written is cool and such, but I have to think people with much more investment in the subject have made interesting books or essays or films or something, and I get the feeling from your posts you probably know of some. I imagine you'd have something more interesting in mind than whatever YouTube and Google will produce when I search "death of American passenger rail" or whatever.

Victim of millennial nature that I am, I need some sort of mixed media to fully engage with the subject matter :v:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Man, everything Skeletor says in the Masters of the Universe movie fits this situation to a tee.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

boner confessor posted:

the demise of streetcars across america have a number of different causes, but in many places fares were kept artifically low by local ordinance which just made the funding problem worse. once upon a time though for-profit transit provision was possible, nearly all streetcars began as private enterprise

dude it should be embarassingly clear at this point that i understand it way better than you do

You obviously don't.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

zxqv8 posted:

I think this is the kind of information my fellow transit nerds are looking for sources on. Not because of a lack of belief, I definitely believe you on this one, but what interests me is how this sort of thing came about. I know it's heavily political and related to the interstate highway system and American car culture in general, but this sounds like it was enshrined into law somewhere and I've never heard of it. Seeing where the law(s) is(are) written is cool and such, but I have to think people with much more investment in the subject have made interesting books or essays or films or something, and I get the feeling from your posts you probably know of some. I imagine you'd have something more interesting in mind than whatever YouTube and Google will produce when I search "death of American passenger rail" or whatever.

Victim of millennial nature that I am, I need some sort of mixed media to fully engage with the subject matter :v:

10th amendment to the constitution - "anything we didn't say the federal government controls is controlled by the states". transportation is not listed in the constitution, and there's a workaround due to the commerce clause that the feds can stick their nose in transportation between states and other states/countries, but transportation entirely within a state is off limits. this is why there are the interstate highways, and federal highways, and state highways, and then roads the county/city takes care of, etc. the federal government has basically no legal authority over metropolitan tranist systems except in weird edge cases like DC, sort of the NY port authority, etc.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Things will not be irreparably awful. We'll be ok, it's just going to be longer term process than we had hoped. I know how easy it is to be really down right now because I'm there too, but progress is not always smoothly linear. Well have a dip but we'll come out of It.

Progress doesn't exist. We exist in a war agaisnt Chaos. The way you stop chaos is you ensure the spreaders of it. Like the Alt RIght and the CATO institute do not exist.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Glazier posted:

Same, I think we should all look into life insurance so at least we can help our families out when the inevitable happens.

:unsmith:

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Crowsbeak posted:

Progress doesn't exist. We exist in a war agaisnt Chaos. The way you stop chaos is you ensure the spreaders of it. Like the Alt RIght and the CATO institute do not exist.

Yeah, no. Let's not go off on "PURGE THE UNBELIEVERS". You need a hug and a therapy duck.

Let's not become the monster we're raging against.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?

Crowsbeak posted:

Where does Trump fall on the D&D alignment chart? Chaotic Evil? Chaotic Neutral? I definitely don't think any of the others could apply.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Trump would be Neutral Evil on D & D alignment chart.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Jesus Christ people. You aren't going to die unless you plan on literally killing yourselves, in which case GET HELP PLEASE.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

citybeatnik posted:

Yeah, no. Let's not go off on "PURGE THE UNBELIEVERS". You need a hug and a therapy duck.

Let's not become the monster we're raging against.

I probably should get a cat. But frankly why should we allow monsters to exist?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

citybeatnik posted:

Reid just going full on bomb thrower is nice to behold.

I can't believe I'd ever be saying this but I'm proud of Harry Reid.

It must be the shades.:c00lbert:

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Nov 14, 2016

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Jesus Christ people. You aren't going to die unless you plan on literally killing yourselves, in which case GET HELP PLEASE.

I could actually die due to inadequate medical access and inability to obtain medication. That's not even a low chance. Like that's just what happens to me if I don't have that. I die.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Crowsbeak posted:

Because they're not monsters they're people.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

zxqv8 posted:

Where does Trump fall on the D&D alignment chart? Chaotic Evil? Chaotic Neutral? I definitely don't think any of the others could apply.

Abaddon, Plane of Predators, axiomatic plane of Neutral Evil.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Hollismason posted:

Trump would be Neutral Evil on D & D alignment chart.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

People who are only living because of the improvements Obama made to Medicare are probably going to see a drastic decrease in their chances to survive as well as their quality of life.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Man I hope Obama goes full troll on twitter once he's out of the office.

Qwazes
Sep 29, 2014
Fun Shoe

SourKraut posted:

I hope Obama becomes the shadow president instead of Pence or Bannon

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Obviously I can't know your particular situation but as a member of two minority groups targeted by Trump I don't think I personally am surviving this one. I hope that our deaths inspire a response in our fellow citizens but I'm not sure most will care. I won't kill myself because I don't have the guts, but I understand people who do and it's a valid choice in the face of the next four or eight years.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

SourKraut posted:

I hope he stays in Trump's ear and buddies up with him.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

SourKraut posted:

to be honest Obama is a super wet noodle who has illusions of nobility and 'fair play'. I doubt he has the kind of fire in his gut that he'll suddenly find after 8 years.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

This is false, protestors have already been shot and stabbed, and it hasn't even been a week yet. I've been active in protests and demonstrations and I will continue to be, putting me at risk of being hurt or killed every time. This is not a complaint, it is a statement of fact that you are apparently oblivious to, given your response.

That's not even getting into KKK and nonKKK related hate crimes. I've been on the receiving end of multiple violent assaults just for having the audacity to exist as the person I am and this was before the white house started approving and encouraging the matthew shepherding of people.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

itt we learn that we are immortal.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Furnaceface posted:

People who are only living because of the improvements Obama made to Medicare are probably going to see a drastic decrease in their chances to survive as well as their quality of life.

Oh lol yeah there's this too, my health insurance will be taken away and I won't be able to afford to replace it :waycool:

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

He can't be anti-semitic! He worked with all those jews in the banks! :downs:

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Crowsbeak posted:

I know, I'm a dog person too.

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011

crazy cloud posted:

We'll be following you shortly anyway, and there's nothing we can do about it since Trump has a loving climate change denier in charge of EPA.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Dr. VooDoo posted:

He can't be anti-semitic! He worked with all those jews in the banks! :downs:

Ahem, I think you mean (((globalists)))

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

yellowyams posted:

We'll be following you shortly anyway, and there's nothing we can do about it since Trump has a loving climate change denier in charge of EPA.

last one out turn out the lights 👏

• Locked thread