Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
"The true believers of Trump dont actually control the machinery" Yeah just two of 3 branches of government and a soon to be SCOTUS majority :rolleye:

Anyone who doesnt take anything Trump says deadly seriously at this point is a loving idiot. Trump can do anything he wants to do with a united government and you dumb fucks saying he is going to get stabbed in the back are going to keep saying that poo poo as he starts deportations and clamping down press freedoms, nodding to yourselves, as you hear the Goldshirts knocking at your doors.

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Nov 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

a shameful boehner posted:

Anyone who doesnt take anything Trump says deadly seriously at this point is a loving idiot. Trump can do anything he wants to do with a united government and you dumb fucks saying he is going to get stabbed in the back are going to keep saying that poo poo as he starts deportations and clamping down press freedoms, nodding to yourselves, as you hear the Goldshirts knocking at your doors.

He's super dangerous but this election is the first thing he succeeded at in his life. He's going to need a lot of help from people who are willing to help only if their interests align.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

"The true believers of Trump dont control the machinery" Yeah just two of 3 branches of government and a soon to be SCOTUS majority :rolleye:

Don't worry though the NYT will write a strongly worded editorial about how some believe the camps are too nice and have unneeded luxuries like shelter and clean water.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

"The true believers of Trump dont control the machinery" Yeah just two of 3 branches of government and a soon to be SCOTUS majority :rolleye:

The problem is less what he says and more what his prospective cabinet says. I think the only things he hasn't flip flopped on at this point are some of the scariest tbh (Deportations, Roe v Wade, canning trans protections at the federal level, and the muslim ban)

Also Thomas, Alito and Roberts are all probably going to keep pushing for bugfuck insane interpretations of the constitution.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

Jesus Christ

He's not Pol Pot

He's a mouthpiece of a party that's mainly about corporate clientelism

yeah seriously we're talking about maybe the loss of gay marriage, and that's only if another justice dies. poo poo's going to be hosed on the economic front but no one is getting purged by browncoats

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

"The true believers of Trump dont actually control the machinery" Yeah just two of 3 branches of government and a soon to be SCOTUS majority :rolleye:

There's a difference between people who think Trump is useful and a true believer.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

zxqv8 posted:

Which is all the more infuriating because what the gently caress was all that campaign bashing for if it wasn't actually true? I know she doesn't suddenly think she was wrong, so it's just naked political conciliation that insults all the people who could be damaged by this incoming administration.

It's melodramatic to say so, but, "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing," didn't become a trope for no loving reason. This is tantamount to doing nothing in the eyes of many, because no matter what she may do behind the scenes to stop him, the public face is one of submission.

Her conciliatory submission needs to be satisfactory for her own self-interest because her opponent, who said she deserved to be in jail, just won the election in a landslide and there are still open investigations against her. Hope that helps you wrap your mind around her tone.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

yeah seriously we're talking about maybe the loss of gay marriage, and that's only if another justice dies. poo poo's going to be hosed on the economic front but no one is getting purged by browncoats

lol @ this post

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

what? i see nothing wrong with rounding up people and putting them in camps :colbert:

(in case it's unclear i am being sarcastic)

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Can you link your fanfiction.net account? I'd like to read more of this.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Okay. What do you expect to happen under a Trump presidency?

If you have already made an effortpost on this in the appropriate parallel thread, please link. :3:

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"

Captain Oblivious posted:

See this is a strange post because you're celebrating but what good do you imagine coming out of the scenario you describe even if it were true?

That I like to see the the foot that kicks the ill-tempered dog get savaged does not mean I approve of the dog's temperament or behaviour.

The question you're really asking is "what good do you see coming out of white people pursuing their own interests as a bloc?" But I doubt you'd ever question whether good could come from black Americans voting Democratic at a rate north of 85%. Maybe you want to reflect on why you think self-interest is acceptable for some groups, but not for others.

QuarkJets posted:

Well, there's always winning the popular vote

Legitimacy in the American electoral system has nothing to do with the popular vote.

"Legitimate" is not a synonym for "acceptable according to the principles I wish were real rules". It means actually conforming to the actual rules.

Smudgie Buggler fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Nov 14, 2016

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Bip Roberts posted:

There's a difference between people who think Trump is useful and a true believer.

Who gives a gently caress about those people or what they think? Not Donald Trump - Donald Trump

Donald Trump is the loving Commander in Chief, and every Republican not named Lindsay Graham is ready to gargle Trump's balls on every policy whim that pops into his head. I can't wait to see how quickly the first Republican who opposes him publicly post-inauguration gets destroyed.

I really cannot believe the complacency of anyone about Trump, not least anyone who supported Hillary.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

GreyjoyBastard posted:

If you have already made an effortpost on this in the appropriate parallel thread, please link. :3:

I expect he will start with creating a civilian organization whose mission is to alert law enforcement when they suspect someone might be here illegally. Now he won't tell them to arm themselves but of course he can't stop them because of the second amendment. Eventually the mission will be expanded to Muslims, at that point it will be merged into government as the Homeland Security Force or something similar.

Then will come the prison camps, just a trickle of people at first; the bad apples. But eventually it will make the Nazi system look like amateur hour.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

Have you like, never picked up a US history book?

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

GreyjoyBastard posted:

It's pretty impossible to guess what Trump will actually do since he's all bluster and nobody knows what he really stands for. But if he wants to he could absolutely instruct federal agencies to target minority groups and activists. He could also round up suspected illegal immigrants and mass them into concentration camps where they'll endure abuse while awaiting deportation without access to lawyers. Actually, all of this has already happened under Obama, he just has to expand the previous administration's programs

but if you're an average white person, yeah I guess all you have to worry about is gay marriage or the economy

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?

Libertine posted:

Her conciliatory submission needs to be satisfactory for her own self-interest because her opponent, who said she deserved to be in jail, just won the election in a landslide and there are still open investigations against her. Hope that helps you wrap your mind around her tone.

It does actually. I can't necessarily discount the possibility that she literally fears for her life/freedom.

Depressing that she possibly* has to.

*Probably**

**Certainly

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Glazier posted:

I expect he will start with creating a civilian organization whose mission is to alert law enforcement when they suspect someone might be here illegally. Now he won't tell them to arm themselves but of course he can't stop them because of the second amendment. Eventually the mission will be expanded to Muslims, at that point it will be merged into government as the Homeland Security Force or something similar.

Then will come the prison camps, just a trickle of people at first; the bad apples. But eventually it will make the Nazi system look like amateur hour.

At this time I am dubious of steps two, three, and four, but we will see what happens by May (and obviously anyone who feels at risk may well desire to prepare before then).

Chomskyan: when were things rolled BACK to door-kicking-in in the modern era? I can actually think of one, maybe two example periods, but I am curious whether you come up with the same two and how close you feel they are to the Trump Timeline. (Spoiler alert: one of the sample cases I am thinking of applies to an obviously at risk group right now, maybe, if you stretch a bit)

edit: sorry, just saw you posted Chomskyan, reasonably plausible argument that renders my query a LITTLE redundant although if you want to answer I would read it

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Hahahaha eat poo poo idiot this exact sentiment is why you lost. All you saw was white Americans taking a single, small step in the direction of voting with just a fraction of the tribalism displayed by minority groups and which is frequently gloated about by Democrats. You did this to yourself, and you are right to be making GBS threads in your pants, because, as you're so ready to demonstrate, there is no way you will be smart enough to figure out how to stop this ratchet turning in the same direction over the next several decades.

So what you're saying is that white people are right to coalesce around some kind of identity, and advocate a kind of nationalism to advance their interests. Hmmmmmmm.

steinrokkan posted:

Jesus Christ

He's not Pol Pot

He's a mouthpiece of a party that's mainly about corporate clientelism

It's almost like he's a candidate that ran on a platform of massive racial hatred and scapegoating of minorities for a party with a similar history and is now appointing white nationalists to high office. I wonder if this was about more than economics and it is gonna be real bad to not be a white straight man in the coming years.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Chomskyan posted:

but if you're an average white dude person, yeah I guess all you have to worry about is gay marriage or the economy

The gop cares not for the freedom of lady bits.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

Glazier posted:

I expect he will start with creating a civilian organization whose mission is to alert law enforcement when they suspect someone might be here illegally.

Encouraging citizens to report crimes!? Quelle domage!

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Encouraging citizens to report crimes!? Quelle domage!

Because historically such groups totally don't just randomly stop Mexican-looking people on the street and demand papers.

I hope Donald Trump personally fucks you in the rear end so you can brag about it on Stormfront.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

So what you're saying is that white people are right to coalesce around some kind of identity, and advocate a kind of nationalism to advance their interests. Hmmmmmmm.

I'm actually not even doing that much. All I'm doing is not assuming that doing so would be wrong.

I mean, do you think it's wrong for nonwhites to do this?

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

I hope Donald Trump personally fucks you in the rear end so you can brag about it on Stormfront.

Wishing the horrific crime of rape on people you think might disagree with you politically. Very progressive.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Smudgie Buggler posted:

I'm actually not even doing that much. All I'm doing is not assuming that doing so would be wrong.

I mean, do you think it's wrong for nonwhites to do this?

itt: is it really so wrong for white people to crave White Idenitty and White Nationalism l m a o.

~*economic anxiety*~ boys

^ who said you didn't want it?

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

itt: is it really so wrong for white people to crave White Idenitty and White Nationalism l m a o.

Is it?

I don't. I'm not American, and I fit quite nicely into cosmopolitan modernity.

But why is it *wrong*?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Is it?

But why is it *wrong*?

Because minorities haven't oppressed and enslaved white people for centuries and built an identity around being the ones in power.

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Is it?

But why is it *wrong*?

Because we live in this world, not another one.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

There's a nonzero chance we'll all survive Trump but people who keep throwing up denial (he won't do those things! he's just a puppet! etc etc) are fooling themselves. Yes, he's easy to control but he's immensely concerned about his image. If he loses the respect of the people who elected him, he'll do what he thinks he has to in order to get them back. And he literally has one of the mouthpieces of the alt-right to tell him all about how he's disappointing his fans.

Trump isn't the devil, he's just a man, but seriously let's not all let our guard down just because America's never had a Hitler.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

Because minorities haven't oppressed and enslaved white people for centuries and built an identity around being the ones in power.

OK, so you think white people that live today don't get to pursue their collective self-interests the same way nonwhites do because their ancestors did bad stuff.

Let's say I accept the premise.

What's in it for white people? Like, regardless of how wrong you think it is, how are you going to stop them if they decide they don't want to go along with this (which they will are)?

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

the white hand posted:

Because we live in this world, not another one.

How'd the strategy of pretending your morality is self-evident and clutching your pearls at the suggestion that it might not be serve you this election?

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Are you supposed to signal fealty to white supremacy this quickly? It has a pathetic stench.

No, their ancestors right up to them, right now.

quote:

What's in it for white people?

More humane treatment when you're finally a minority.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Smudgie Buggler posted:

OK, so you think white people that live today don't get to pursue their collective self-interests the same way nonwhites do because their ancestors did bad stuff.

Let's say I accept the premise.

What's in it for white people? Like, regardless of how wrong you think it is, how are you going to stop them if they decide they don't want to go along with this (which they will are)?

I mean the last time white people built a country around white nationalism they started a world war and murdered millions.

The answer is clearly we can't stop them, they'll drive right off a cliff and claim we made them do it because black people dare to exist.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
FWiW on an international scale, rights being lost or rolled back for minorities of all kind isn't all the time but it's still depressingly common in terms of happening at all. Like sodomy laws being reinstated is a thing even in tyool too kay cis teen, as is racist laws and not just the kind of bullshit aimed at recent immigrants; trans rights are also kind of precarious as gently caress in a lot of countries where they're newly a thing.

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Is it?

But why is it *wrong*?

White isn't a nation.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

the white hand posted:

More humane treatment when you're finally a minority.

How is this an upgrade from actually being in control? A: it's not. There is nothing in it for white people.

Do you also understand that this claim appears extremely dubious to a lot of white people?

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

Agnosticnixie posted:

White isn't a nation.

So? Neither is black.

Why can't it be one?

"England" wasn't a nation until it was.

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
More than ever, it's not worth paying attention to what white people want. They themselves don't know.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Smudgie Buggler posted:

How is this an upgrade from actually being in control? A: it's not. There is nothing in it for white people.

Do you also understand that this claim appears extremely dubious to a lot of white people?

White people oppress people for centuries, complain that they don't want to be treated like minorities.

Donald Trump is their monster. He's not just going to hurt minorities either.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

the white hand posted:

More than ever, it's not worth paying attention to what white people want. They themselves don't know.

OK. You keep ignoring the world around you, and we'll see in four years how electorally successful that strategy is for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Because America is a white nation and has been for a long time. It has real, entrenched systems meant to keep white people in power and by default pushes PoC out of those systems. "White identity" and "White interests" means supporting those systems. It is hypothetically possible to decouple those things but not group has ever managed to do it without turning into a burning hate machine.

• Locked thread