Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Magnusth posted:

genetics would probably predispose them to like each other

Why is that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

Subjunctive posted:

Why is that?

Attraction is partially influenced by pheremones, seemingly as an evolutionary trait to select sexual partners with compatible genetics. Seeing as children share their parents genes, and we know the parents of step-siblings are attracted to each other, well, it seems like there's some genetic predisposition.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

bean_shadow posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rSDUsMwakI

On John Oliver's show last night part of the blame of a Trump election was put on the fake news sites / clickbait people constantly share on Facebook. Apparently 44% of people get their news solely on Facebook, or from their echo chamber (both liberals and conservatives, although the conservatives are worse about it). Unfortunately there isn't a clip of just that segment yet, just the whole episode. Relevant part starts around 10:09.

Apparently it's also geoblocked, unlike other Last Week Tonight segments.

Weird.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Does craigslist count as social media?

I found this hilarious, especially if you've ever tried to find musicians on CL.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Re: imgrrr step sibling incest stuff. What is a "tree fiddy" people keep mentioning? It reminds me of creepy loving Keith Moon from Tommy. I'm your wicked Uncle Ernie; I'm glad you won't see or hear me, as I fiddle about, fiddle about, fiddle about!

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Loch Ness monster bit from South Park. It's one of those shows Redditors/Imgurians love to quote, along with Archer or Rick and Morty.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

credburn posted:

Re: imgrrr step sibling incest stuff. What is a "tree fiddy" people keep mentioning? It reminds me of creepy loving Keith Moon from Tommy. I'm your wicked Uncle Ernie; I'm glad you won't see or hear me, as I fiddle about, fiddle about, fiddle about!

With no context, I'd guess it was a racist transliteration of "three fifty."

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

credburn posted:

It's an aging South Park joke.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

credburn posted:

Without seeing the context, it's a South Park joke. Chef's heavily-accented black parents live in Scotland and they keep telling stories that end with the revelation that another person was the Loch Ness monster in disguise, trying to trick them into giving it three dollars and fifty cents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a3BGs1uxfg

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
So was Austin Powers the start of "quote stuff instead of actually being funny" or was I just the right age to note how unfunny people were when it came out?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

ikanreed posted:

So was Austin Powers the start of "quote stuff instead of actually being funny" or was I just the right age to note how unfunny people were when it came out?

The latter.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

ikanreed posted:

Every generation does this. I remember my dad said he and his friends would quote the goon show (radio comedy from the 50s/60's) to each other.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

ALRIGHTY THEN!

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Ularg posted:

http://imgur.com/gallery/Y7Zpt

Watch the Imgur comments try to rationalize this.

On imgur, blocking freeways is such a heinous, unforgivable crime that nothing really compares to it.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Jippa posted:

Every generation does this. I remember my dad said he and his friends would quote the goon show (radio comedy from the 50s/60's) to each other.

You are correct, sir!

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Who's on first?

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

oldpainless posted:

ALRIGHTY THEN!

Yeah that's the ticket!

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

oldpainless posted:

ALRIGHTY THEN!

Ni! Ni!!

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

Bazinga

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
I'd buy THAT for a dollar!

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

MMJ is great for a lot of things but somehow I don't remember this being one of them.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

BobbyK posted:

On imgur, blocking freeways is such a heinous, unforgivable crime that nothing really compares to it.

I feel like it boils down to people looking for excuses to discredit/dismiss those they disagree with. See also the use of "thugs" when describing BLM. The irony is getting people angry and drawing lots of media attention is the mark of a successful protest.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

subpar anachronism posted:

MMJ is great for a lot of things but somehow I don't remember this being one of them.

"Is it bye polar or bipolar? Ah gently caress it I'll use both to cover all my bases!" :350:

"...I mean cover all my basis. Right?"

The Mighty Moltres has a new favorite as of 17:04 on Nov 14, 2016

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

...millenium hand and shrimp!

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh

You should always be polite to people who want to treat you like a lower class of human. If you feel hurt or betrayed when someone you love says something terrible about a marginalized group, well, that's your fault not theirs!

Also make sure you preface any response with a stilted paragraph-long diatribe about how you still respect them, even though they don't respect you.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Please be nice to the people who call you mean things, you don't want to hurt their feelings by calling them mean things

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
We've only said half of those things!

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Plot twist: Everyone is these things actually

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pot + bipolar = bad

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
*breaks your window in* but xcuse me sir, did you know that both sides are just as terrible as each orher

The whole turn the other cheek thing in that post would probably be easier to do if you were white or straight and haven't been historically put down by legislation or religious types.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Everytime I've heard someone try to explain how "we'll survive, it ain't that bad" has been from people who don't really get targeted by the Trump policies.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Ularg posted:

Everytime I've heard someone try to explain how "we'll survive, it ain't that bad" has been from people who don't really get targeted by the Trump policies.

I get the whole "understand why people voted for Trump, it's not always because they are bigoted" thing. But empathy is a two-way street, so everybody better be willing to work at it. I guarantee you some people saying "you made us libtards" would be apocalyptic over a Clinton presidency. Fear and rage is a universal thing.

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost

All of those hate crimes are just false flag operations. Nothing to see here!

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

CoasterMaster posted:

All of those hate crimes are just false flag operations. Nothing to see here!

on the other hand wikileaks is literally gospel

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
At least he was honest "And even if they weren't fake, we don't care"

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I for one like the interpretation that people chanting "build the wall" might just be masonry enthusiasts.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Who gets angry enough to take the effort choose the stupid emoji?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Fathis Munk posted:

I for one like the interpretation that people chanting "build the wall" might just be masonry enthusiasts.

I mean, he did say it would be a great wall. I choose to interpret that as it will be of outstanding quality and architecture.