Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Sagebrush posted:

This raises the question of how Ford is going to duplicate Theresa's behavior accurately enough that no one notices. Does he have some kind of brain scan? Did he collect data from her interactions with Bernard over the last N years? Is he just a genius programmer and he's going to write her from scratch? Or maybe he can't actually do it and someone will notice that she's not quite herself and that will be some kind of unraveling.

If Ford can indeed create a perfect replica of a living human, that's a whole new dimension to the series that hasn't even been explored yet. Forget asking how many of the Westworld employees are hosts themselves -- how many of the hosts are based on real people?

Bernard was seen quite literally analyzing and recording to Theresa's mannerisms, probably exactly for this purpose.

You don't need a perfect replica, you just need it to fool the right people. A personality turing test, if you will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I hated this episode. I think Anthony Hopkins is doing a bad job in a bad role. Even when committing cold blooded murder he seemed only half there, and not in an interesting way.

Maev is the shining beacon on the show but her interactions with tweedle dee and tweedle dum are just unbearable.

Also the production on train was noticeable and bad so made it harder to hand out the free pass.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Vernii posted:

This also brings up the question of whether Bernard was a real person at some point in the past who got replaced, or if Ford built him from scratch.

I would be shocked if that wasn't exactly it what with the shot panning back to the creation of a new host. It would also explain why he was so blasé about killing her as he is bringing her right back but under his thumb.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

The REAL Goobusters posted:

How much does anyone want to bet that the robot being made in that underground facility is gonna be a robot Theresa
The host in the machine didn't look anywhere near finished.

Unless Ford's going to re-enact Weekend at Bernie's with her corpse for a few days, I don't think it's Theresa.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

Forget asking how many of the Westworld employees are hosts themselves -- how many of the hosts are based on real people?
Would certainly explain why their "Self Awareness" test is showing pictures of the modern world that you'd assume a Wild-West personality database wouldn't have knowledge of even if it was gaining awareness. If these characters instead had a human's mind shackled by control software to censor input and output, then recognizing what's in a picture of a modern train or city isn't just a case of "Oh that's a weird looking train, ain't it?" but of triggering a memory of uncensored information about the real world from before the host role and script was layered on top of it.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The whole first season is leading to this:

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

tooterfish posted:

The host in the machine didn't look anywhere near finished.

Unless Ford's going to re-enact Weekend at Bernie's with her corpse for a few days, I don't think it's Theresa.

Considering how quickly and seamlessly they replace hosts and do cleanup, I'd wager she'll be done in time for work in the morning.

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian

kater posted:

I hated this episode. I think Anthony Hopkins is doing a bad job in a bad role. Even when committing cold blooded murder he seemed only half there, and not in an interesting way.

Maev is the shining beacon on the show but her interactions with tweedle dee and tweedle dum are just unbearable.

Also the production on train was noticeable and bad so made it harder to hand out the free pass.

I love this show. It's awesome. This episode was unreal. Anthony Hopkins is a loving amazing actor and will get all the Emmys. Playing the righteous supervillain amazingly well.

Will agree on that obvious green screen crap. That sucked.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

sticklefifer posted:

Considering how quickly and seamlessly they replace hosts and do cleanup, I'd wager she'll be done in time for work in the morning.
Bernard said the machine was slower than the main ones, that it'd take a few days to finish a host.

I'm not convinced Ford is making dopplegangers. He did seem pretty blasé about getting away with murder though, he must have something up his sleeve.

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew
Ford is a robot controlled by AI Arnold and his face melts

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian

tooterfish posted:

Bernard said the machine was slower than the main ones, that it'd take a few days to finish a host.

I'm not convinced Ford is making dopplegangers. He did seem pretty blasé about getting away with murder though, he must have something up his sleeve.

I got the impression that he was going to pin her death on a robot and then prove demonstrably that he had fixed the glitch somehow.

pandabear
Apr 27, 2006

Quick Draw McGraw posted:

Ford is a robot who killed his creator, Arnold. He is the devil to Arnold's absent god/resurrected jesus

I didn't believe Ford could be a host since we saw him as a young man in the flashback, but now I'm realizing he could just be updating himself cosmetically every few years or so to simulate aging.

I'm guessing that what he does with Bernard considering how much younger and fitter his blueprint looks. On the other hand, Bernard does look the same in his flashback with his son - but then again, he is an unreliable narrator.

What a great episode. The only thing that bothered me a bit is Dolores being super into Will - is it just part of her programming to fall in love with anyone who helps/"saves" her? Their romance developed rather fast.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

pandabear posted:

What a great episode. The only thing that bothered me a bit is Dolores being super into Will - is it just part of her programming to fall in love with anyone who helps/"saves" her? Their romance developed rather fast.

That's exactly it if you remember the first 2 episodes.

pandabear
Apr 27, 2006

MiddleOne posted:

That's exactly it if you remember the first 2 episodes.

True. I guess I thought since she was #woke, she wouldn't follow her coded behavior anymore.

Wild (probably wrong) speculation:
On Maeve's diagnostic screen, you can see her ID number in the upper left corner.

On discoverwestworld.com, there is a new glitch video, with the peacock monologue. This screen has a Reference number:

:tinfoil: Maybe Ford's ID number? (Starts with two letters, like Maeve's - although has more letters overall than hers.)

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

pandabear posted:

I didn't believe Ford could be a host since we saw him as a young man in the flashback, but now I'm realizing he could just be updating himself cosmetically every few years or so to simulate aging.

I'm guessing that what he does with Bernard considering how much younger and fitter his blueprint looks. On the other hand, Bernard does look the same in his flashback with his son - but then again, he is an unreliable narrator.

Her standard loop is 'either I get saved by the Guest, or I get raped by the bandit hosts (or the guest)' She's literally there to be the Rancher's Pure And Honest Daughter Who Needs Sullying

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Is anyone keeping a record of which songs get the player piano treatment every episode?

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
I'm just going to call this right now - in the grand tradition of Hammond from Jurassic Park getting killed by the innocuous compys Ford is going to be killed by his younger self. He thinks he has control of the park but he doesn't have control any more.

There aren't too many people who could grab Elise but I would say it could be any host, not just a "human." Dolores (two time frames) would be quite a surprise.

Some new mysteries:

What is in the unexplored land? Relics from prior builds/iterations or undeveloped land?

In addition to the source code which could obviously be used to build robots that do all kinds of non-entertainment things, what else does the board want the 35 years of data for? Blackmail for all the former visitors in the form of video, etc. of them being evil in the park?

Why does Bernard interview Dolores in seemingly the same facility clothed? My guess is that Bernard is Arnold and these are all 35 years ago.

What are the ghost nation like? Will Indians ever be portrayed on screen as anything more than savages? My bet is yes and that there are some pretty interesting stories to be told from that entirely unexplored and, possibly, largely ignored part of the park.

Will Theresa return as a robot?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

90% certain.

There was also the ominous line from Ford where he tells her that over the years things have worked out well with "more or less" all the CEOs appointed by the board. The question is whether he considers things to have worked out well when he doesn't need to replace them with robots or the other way around, gonna guess it's the latter.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Why does Bernard interview Dolores in seemingly the same facility clothed? My guess is that Bernard is Arnold and these are all 35 years ago.

I assume this.

Also, William's whole speech this episode was pretty Man in Black-ish. So I'm taking that theory seriously now, too. I'm wondering what his revealed motivation would be...something pretty hosed up has to happen.

MiB did say he "saw inside" the older models and it was mechanical and perfect. I'm wondering if Dolores is the host to show him that; that she dies in a hosed up way and is all robot-ish inside. Maybe his knife-rape scene in the pilot was him looking under the hood, seeing if she's a fleshbot now when in the past she wasn't.

rich thick and creamy
May 23, 2005

To whip it, Whip it good
Pillbug

ROFLSAWS posted:

Go for it

Hey look, it's Bernard's view of Dickbutt!

rich thick and creamy fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Nov 14, 2016

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

This is how it should've gone down:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuSsSwg9MXs

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Bernard was seen quite literally analyzing and recording to Theresa's mannerisms, probably exactly for this purpose.

You don't need a perfect replica, you just need it to fool the right people. A personality turing test, if you will.

Oh poo poo that makes perfect sense now!

Some food for thought:

I love how Bernard's actor played that scene. You can see even as he's protesting that he's not a host, he's already figured it out. He goes from protestation to shock and anger instantly.

The Peacock is an Armenian Gnostic term for the demiurge, or the devil. Funny Ford should bring that up.

One glaring thing: if Bernard is Arnold, why didn't anyone notice the name change?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Hey guys I have bad news

You know that robot getting 3d printed in Fords basement is Elsie

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Arglebargle III posted:

One glaring thing: if Bernard is Arnold, why didn't anyone notice the name change?

The switcheroo happened 30 years ago and we're told Arnold was a bit of a loner\hermit even before the incident, it's also possible that whatever few employees did know Arnold before the switch were replaced by Ford afterwards. Generally it would seem that of all the 'people' in the park Dolores and the Man in Black are the only ones who could possibly recognize Arnold\Bernard.

The real question is "why would they bother changing the name at all? wouldn't it be more effective to have the Arnold clone pose as Arnold?" - though this can easily be hand waves with 'plot convenience'.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Rocksicles posted:

:vince:

That some loving intense TV. I barely read this thread, i'm not buying into to any theories. Going in totally cold every week is brilliant. I'm just floored at how drat good it is.

Phenomenal episode.

RIP Clementine, your Ninja skills were top notch.

Smartest poster in this thread or smartest poster in TVIV?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

KoRMaK posted:

For a moment though I wondered if the ghost nation is a free bot nation that uses arrows because they can't be controlled by the park.
The arrows, how do they work?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Having it actually be Arnold makes a lot of sense.

Bernard does says it's where Ford and Arnold worked in the early days.

So much of unravelling what is really going on now hinges on whether that was really Arnold in all those scenes. If so, then we get into the two timeline hypothesis and a lot of stuff falls in line.

It seems to me that it must be the case. But I'm happy to be proven wrong if we get another scene like Bernard "coming out".

FogHelmut posted:

That's what I'm saying. Is the point that he's just entrapping people? The board can't be his. Because he wouldn't otherwise need to terrorize Theresa.

Tweedledee and Tweedledum told Maeve that it's impossible for her to ever leave the park, that everything about her, down to her skin, was designed to keep her here. So, I don't think Ford's replaced the board members.

Besides, where would be the fun in that? And if there's one thing Ford likes, it showing his power.

Fooz posted:

I assumed it was Bernard, she had just told him where she was. Ford's done something with her?

Makes sense.

We see Bernard searching on his phone for her location. When the computer comes up with "no location found" he seems more satisfied than concerned. If someone else had taken her, you'd expect him to do something. After all, she had discovered some of the park's secrets.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Nov 14, 2016

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I now really love every "Do you have something to tell me?"/"...no" interaction between Bernard and Theresa over the last two episodes. He's running right up against his programming.

I've also come full circle on the two timelines theory after this episode. I first thought it'd be really dumb like having random cylons in the staff. I suspect the multiple timelines thing will be one part of a greater reveal and we've now seen that they can execute on that.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Now i want to rewatch the series from the start.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Combat Pretzel posted:

The arrows, how do they work?
By the looks of things, very well.

Ironic, but those Indians probably have the highest weapons privileges in the park.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
That was amazing. I was JUST starting to lose patience with the cheese in the show. About half way through the ep I messaged this to my friend.

"I guess we're going big picture fantasy rather than intimate horror."

And then that scene happened. It doesn't matter how obvious the Bernard twist was in retrospect. The reveal itself was secondary to way they played out every single aspect of that scene. It was the ultimate "Get out of there!" moment, except you keep looking back and realising just how long ago it was that it became "too late". What a masterpiece of signalling and inevitability.

Spermanent Record fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Nov 14, 2016

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Phi230 posted:

Hey guys I have bad news

Was wondering this too. Doesn't make much sense though.

Still recovering from that ending last night. Hopkins is just loving phenomenal and terrifying.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Can somebody make a Bernard Rachel blade runner gif please.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Gorilla Salad posted:

We see Bernard searching on his phone for her location. When the computer comes up with "no location found" he seems more satisfied than concerned. If someone else had taken her, you'd expect him to do something. After all, she had discovered some of the park's secrets.

She discovered that signals were being transmitted out, and that there seemed to be something involving Arnold. Both of these things would be of interest to Bernard and Ford. Elsie also tells Bernard that it's Theresa who is sending the signal, and again, that would ally her with Ford and Bernard. They would have no reason to kill her, and seems like she would actually be valuable to them.

It's why I'm thinking that it's more likely she was taken by a host who has been woken by Arnold.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

I also thought that having some of the staff turn out to be hosts in disguise would be cheap. But the show pulled it off perfectly, as Ford digging his claws into Westworld and refusing to give up any control.

I started considering something in regards to the two logos. Bernard only sees the old Westworld logo down in the basement facilities. Maybe that was a little stamp of arrogance by Ford, that the hosts only see the original design. Maybe instead of two timelines, William is also a host.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Phi230 posted:

Hey guys I have bad news

It looked too tall to be Elsie.

https://twitter.com/jfreewright/status/797253311854444544

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I doubt very much that Ford has sent Host out as replacements for people he probably knows very little (I will probably be wrong but they would be easy to catch out by somebody who did know them intimately).

Also those people saying "I tole ye so," there is so much poo poo thrown around in this thread some of it will stick, getting one thing right is like a broken clock being right twice a day. Are your theories a parcel that makes narrative sense when taken together or just random "I reckon X could be Y."?

The host that Ford is printing doesn't have a female boob on the finished chest (we have been shown many times that girl hosts have printed boobs) . And Elsie is tiny, probably what 5 foot? It's much to big to be her.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

So maybe he was already printing a new Theresa?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Collateral posted:

I doubt very much that Ford has sent Host out as replacements for people he probably knows very little (I will probably be wrong but they would be easy to catch out by somebody who did know them intimately).

Also those people saying "I tole ye so," there is so much poo poo thrown around in this thread some of it will stick, getting one thing right is like a broken clock being right twice a day. Are your theories a parcel that makes narrative sense when taken together or just random "I reckon X could be Y."?

The host that Ford is printing doesn't have a female boob on the finished chest (we have been shown many times that girl hosts have printed boobs) . And Elsie is tiny, probably what 5 foot? It's much to big to be her.

The host being printed didnt have a finished side. It was only skeletal with muscle being printed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

It was obviously meant to be Theresabot god you people are dumb.

• Locked thread