Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.

double nine posted:

wut? that's some lag bullshit.

Let me tell you about the half dozen or so times a Follower's Sabre caught me at the tail end of a long roll directly away from the idiot swinging it.

The loving thing will take off half my health bar in one two-handed swing and is faster than a 1-handed knife. It boggles my loving mind how that's allowed.

Also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srqH76bLX_U

:emo:

Magic Rabbit Hat fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Nov 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
Wow, performance has really taken a dump since the last update, hitching constanrty walking through Lothric castle and the archives, never had any issues before.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I always preferred the DS2 leveling curve, it made starting as Deprived a lot more interesting, and ending up in the 100s around mid to late game was an interesting change.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
I finished the DLC last night.

The arena is pretty great if you like having fun. 3 vs 3 team battles seem to fall into a momentum trap too often if the team that's ahead works together well. 2 vs 2 is perfect.

Co-oping on Friede is also great.

The millwright's axe makes me angry because it's straight up better than all the other axes (by like >100 AR!) and I don't know why they have to do that.

That's what I think of the DLC like a month late.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

The axe also weighs twice as much

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I can't stand 2v2 honestly. Oh your partner died? Cool hope you have fun running laps for the next thirty seconds while he respawns. In general the brawls are better than team fights/duels though. There's so much mayhem nobody can get a stomp on.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I like 3v3 it doesn't have as much of that problem as 2v2. Everyone tries to gang up and ambush in a circle of putting swords up people's asses also there is some pretty good skirmishing.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
I'm getting back into this for the first time since playing it a few weeks after launch. Is a straight sword build still head-and-shoulders above everything else, or did they eventually make big-rear end swords and hammers worth using? Also I see they changed poise a whole bunch when the DLC came out, but I can't seem to find anything explaining exactly how - is it more like DS1 now, or still its own thing?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Popular Human posted:

I'm getting back into this for the first time since playing it a few weeks after launch. Is a straight sword build still head-and-shoulders above everything else, or did they eventually make big-rear end swords and hammers worth using? Also I see they changed poise a whole bunch when the DLC came out, but I can't seem to find anything explaining exactly how - is it more like DS1 now, or still its own thing?

It's more like DS2 than DS1, like it always was.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Popular Human posted:

poise is now an armor attribute that makes it less likely that you will have your attack animation interrupted if the attack you are using has hyper armor. typically, hyper armor is on great axes, great hammers, ultra great swords, plus 2H great swords and 2H regular axes and hammers. each weapon / weapon class has its own rules for hyper armor, and in general poise just makes whatever hyper armor a weapon has "better". it still does basically nothing if you aren't wielding heavy weapons.

because of that, and some other changes that were made to great weapons, the straight sword isn't the de-facto best weapon class in the game. great swords are as good if not better than straight swords, and heavy curved swords can also kick rear end (the CCS is the current PVP-meta favorite weapon).

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

The millwright's axe makes me angry because it's straight up better than all the other axes (by like >100 AR!) and I don't know why they have to do that.

They do that because axes are still not very good, though I don't know why they can't buff the lovely old axes as well.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

RabidWeasel posted:

DS2 worked totally differently and scaling was a percentage (though still hidden as a stupid letter grade) based on the weapon's base damage, and though this did increase as you leveled a weapon it was like 1-2% per level in a game where some weapons went over 100% scaling.

Then DS3 threw that all away and went back to the stupid "scaling is just extra flat damage on top of the weapon's base damage" system which makes it much less intuitive to compare weapons that aren't at max upgrade level.

Um, you got that completely backwards. Demon's, DS1, DS3 (and probably BB too) all use the same sort of system where the scaling bonus is dependent both on the scaling value, represented as those letters, and the weapon's base damage. This is why, for example, the Silver Knight Straight Sword's C scaling in Dex in DS1 is really good; it's base AR is comparatively higher, which results in it having more AR than the Balder Side Sword and it's A scaling even when you have 40 Dex. For an example of the reverse from the same game, the Dragon Bone Fist has one of the highest scaling values for Str in the game at an S, but it's AR is always garbage because of it's incredibly low base AR.

DS2 did this differently and (imo) more sensibly, having the scaling bonus damage be dependent entirely on the scaling value. So if two weapons had equal scaling values in a Stat you'd get the exact same scaling bonus.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

So I've been struggling with the incredibly slow R1s of the Carthus Curved Creatsword and I just realized that most greatswords has higher AR while being, like, twice as fast and much lighter

The extra poise hardly matters, since greatsword users only need 7 poise to get the same "poise health" as curved greatswords :( at least the moveset is fun, I guess

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

good, im glad of this and you deserve it

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Genocyber posted:

Um, you got that completely backwards. Demon's, DS1, DS3 (and probably BB too) all use the same sort of system where the scaling bonus is dependent both on the scaling value, represented as those letters, and the weapon's base damage. This is why, for example, the Silver Knight Straight Sword's C scaling in Dex in DS1 is really good; it's base AR is comparatively higher, which results in it having more AR than the Balder Side Sword and it's A scaling even when you have 40 Dex. For an example of the reverse from the same game, the Dragon Bone Fist has one of the highest scaling values for Str in the game at an S, but it's AR is always garbage because of it's incredibly low base AR.

DS2 did this differently and (imo) more sensibly, having the scaling bonus damage be dependent entirely on the scaling value. So if two weapons had equal scaling values in a Stat you'd get the exact same scaling bonus.

I really wanted to look this up but I was tired and pretty confident that I remembered correctly, oh well! I think that percentage scaling makes more sense, but it should really be more obvious what the scaling letters actually mean; I do distinctly recall prefering the DS2 system so perhaps in practice that works better than I think it should, it's been a fair while since I played DS2.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.

I AM THE MOON posted:

good, im glad of this and you deserve it

SWORDS ARE DUMB I WANT TO SHIV PEOPLE :mad:

Magic Rabbit Hat fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Nov 14, 2016

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

list of people in the duel arena who can s my d
-the guy who spawns before me and is in position to backstab me before the fight starts even tho im on console this isnt supposed to happen with equal hardware
-bleed guy
-passive washing pole offhand parry item man who does nothing but running r1 then mash l2 when you hit him even if the attack is unparryable
-Hugh Jackman, the Wolverine, who has the most regen possible and a big shield and runs away for like 5 minutes which is really funny actually and im not sure why i put that on this list
-the first guy the second time in a row, where it happens again and i go play a different game mode instead

everyone else is cool with me but ^^ these ppl ^^. . .

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

I love The Guy Who Doesn't Know What Can Be Parried

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

all he knows is his bless cestus and washing pole running r1, hes a simple man probably named Robert, or Joe (NOT Joseph)

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I feel so sorry for people who use Axes. It's so easy to reaction parry the second swing :(

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Really? No one has even tried it on me.

Speaking of is there any trick on using the warcry attacks with the millwood axe? They're cool and have utility but seem unpractical.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Really? No one has even tried it on me.

Speaking of is there any trick on using the warcry attacks with the millwood axe? They're cool and have utility but seem unpractical.

Run all day, never stop

https://youtu.be/kGux2eiCsJ0

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
I don't know if this is something that's already been brought up, but it occurs to me that the three sisters of Londor (roughly, it's a bit of a stretch I guess) follow the same paths as the 3 sealers of new londo:

One (presumably) stays behind
One tries to help some sad people, and dies for it
One runs off to help a dickbag claim power (lautrec / the unkindled)

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Giant Isopod posted:

I don't know if this is something that's already been brought up, but it occurs to me that the three sisters of Londor (roughly, it's a bit of a stretch I guess) follow the same paths as the 3 sealers of new londo:

One (presumably) stays behind
One tries to help some sad people, and dies for it
One runs off to help a dickbag claim power (lautrec / the unkindled)

Same could be said of the three archdeacons of the Deep. Royce stays behind at Aldrich's big freaky altar/tomb thing, Klimt goes to serve Rosaria and presumably turns into a mangrub, and O'Donnell fucks off to the Boreal Valley to hang out with Sulyvahn.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
So I jumped back into this game after months away and bought the dlc. I saw some old patch notes that said they increased physical damage reduction for heavy weapon users, and they tweaked the poise across the board.

Does poise work now. Even a little bit like it used to work?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

No "tweaking" doesn't mean trashing the whole system and replacing it. They changed the modifiers for how much poise effects hyper armor.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kys0EYo01LQ

Just go for the backstab they said.

They can't just spin right around and kill you they said.

:smith:

Fun fact: Parries work in a 360 degree arc around your character and you can actually parry people who are directly behind you. What happened to you just looked like bullshit lag though.

If you wanna make daggers work as your sole PvP weapon you pretty much gotta be using the Corvian Great Knife, a Refined CGK at 40/40 is as good as daggers get AR-wise and it has like three or four times the reach, plus an awesome Weapon Art. If you are using the regular old Dagger (or the Mail Breaker) you better be a parry god or be playing in a brawl running around shanking people, those two are almost entirely reliant on their crit damage. Bandit Knife runs into the stupid dodge-roll iframes stopping Bleed problem (which is absolutely dumb and I hate it) because it's hits don't stagger long enough for the Bleed to trigger before they can roll out. Quickstep is pretty hamstrung in PvP by latency, it's awesome defensively since it's pretty much impossible to roll-catch but you're only really going to be able to get a Quickstep-backstab against a caster or ultra greatweapon, everything else recovers too quickly. Even those two aren't going to happen if you don't have really good ping. The place Quickstep really shines is when you combine it with Iron Flesh making you an unstoppable, inescapable Poise juggernaut, really fun with the Brigand Twindaggers. It's pretty obvious in a duel though and is only really going to work as a gotcha. Amazing in brawls or teamfights though.

Honestly though I think one of the biggest strengths of daggers in PvP is their weight. You can almost always squeeze in a dagger so don't just make them your sole weapon. They have their uses but if you want to use a single weapon and be successful you are generally going to get better results with a more versatile weapon. Daggers are really good at the up close knife fight (especially if you can threaten a parry or better yet land one) so couple them with a crossbow and fire bombs, that's an awesome build that is super thematic and quite strong. One of my favorite builds is a man-at-arms type dude that has a mainhand Mace and Mail Breaker and an offhand medium parry shield and an Arbalest. It's got a good answer for almost any situation and is a ton of fun.

I am super done talking about daggers though (much to everyone's relief I'm sure) so people should start complaining about like...whips or spears or something.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

Let me tell you about the half dozen or so times a Follower's Sabre caught me at the tail end of a long roll directly away from the idiot swinging it.

The loving thing will take off half my health bar in one two-handed swing and is faster than a 1-handed knife. It boggles my loving mind how that's allowed.

Also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srqH76bLX_U

:emo:

https://youtu.be/OOWla3z2QSI

One of my first videos is me using bleed to wipe out a team of noobs.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

Rough Lobster posted:

So I jumped back into this game after months away and bought the dlc. I saw some old patch notes that said they increased physical damage reduction for heavy weapon users, and they tweaked the poise across the board.

Does poise work now. Even a little bit like it used to work?

It always worked, but wasn't really influenced by armor until the latest patch. Now you need 38 (or 22) poise to poise through two-handed Straight Sword R1s with Halberds, for example. It's 38 or 22 because you normally have a poise multiplier of 100% which is reduced to 80% when you get hit. That multiplier is reset to 100% after 30 seconds, when you use a weapon art, or get staggered (poise broken) by an attack. So, if you don't want to worry about ever getting staggered out of an attack, get the higher poise number. If you just want the added bonus of being able to trade once in a while, and then having to reset your poise multiplier, reach the lower poise number.

Poise is only activated during attacks and rolling, just like before the patch. Heavier weapons do more poise damage and have more "poise health", just like before.

If you want to know exactly how much poise you need, and what attacks you can poise through, there's a calculator here. Poise is mostly important if you use weapons with little poise health, ie Greatswords, Hammers, and Halberds. If you use Ultra Greatswords, Curved Greatswords or Great Hammers you can tank anything lighter than Greatswords, Hammers, or Halberds even if you have 0 poise. To tank a two-handed Greatsword with an Ultra Greatsword you need 38 or 23 poise.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

every time i see this image it makes me want a cyberpocalypse dark souls game

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

the thing that I like best about the arena is that they actually placed a limit on the estus that you can have. my biggest frustration with invasions was having them take 15 minutes to finish, even if you won, because outside of fight-clubs the host was going to use all 15 estus trying to hold you off.

I think it'd also be interesting if estus couldn't heal PvP damage, or there was some other means of discouraging estus use in invasion PvP. maybe every time the host uses estus, all invaders get +1 estus to use (but not going over their max).

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Freaking Crumbum posted:

I think it'd also be interesting if estus couldn't heal PvP damage, or there was some other means of discouraging estus use in invasion PvP. maybe every time the host uses estus, all invaders get +1 estus to use (but not going over their max).

Rofl that is a terrible idea

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Garrand posted:

Rofl that is a terrible idea

I'm just speculating here man. if you've got a better idea on how they could limit estus chugging in pvp, feel free the share it!

it's all just navel-gazing anyway; it's not like FROM is taking serious gameplay feedback from the somethingawful forums

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Just off hand the branding iron

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Just do what DS2 did and make everybody unable to use estus during an invasion.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
or better yet, do what ds2 did and make chugging highly punishable.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

Has anyone else noticed enemies "lagging" when hosting an invasion or summon? I have no idea how that works, but sometimes enemies lose their animations and teleport around just like phantoms, and it's super weird since I'm the host and logically the enemies' locations should be calculated in my world, right?

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
In DS2 when you got hit while chugging, the heal would continue after you got hit, so if you got hit at the very start of actually chugging, you'd heal most of it back right after, since the actual heal from the estus lasted about a full second. In DS1 and 3, as far as I remember, getting hit immediately stops the heal and subtracts the damage. The estus heal also lasts about .3 secs so it's a lot harder to really know if that's how it works, but I always feel like I didn't heal as much when I get knocked out of a heal.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

In ds2 I remember it being really easy to chain quaffs, the timing is weird in 3 and I have to stare at my life to get it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

Yeah in DS2 you just drink three estus instantly and you're pretty much guaranteed full health even if you're getting attacked for the whole duration. Backstab punishing was a trap, since you never did enough damage, so the only way to punish estus was to spam attacks and pray your DPS was high enough to make the slightest difference