Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Fire it off when scary things appear. You have to remember that the Banish ability/spell checks against MR so it isn't perfectly reliable. So you aren't going to be using it to scum XP, you're using it as a danger eliminator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

tote up a bags posted:

Banish is a bit confusing in terms of XP - Do I want to drop them low then banish, or just fire it off if scary things appear?

If you can safely take a monster to low HP, you don't need Banish to deal with it.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

This is a hell of a D:6. Strongly conflicted about whether to actually run around with that obsidian axe in my hand.

EDIT: and a bit of stupidity with a warg pack later, my earlier concerns are validated...

Glidergun fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Nov 13, 2016

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Do it because you're a Cleaver man.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
No matter how attractive the Obsidian Axe looks, it is and always will be the most dangerous unrand to use.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
Also there's virtually never a reason to scroll-ID a ring; if you have absolutely no ?RemoveCurse and are worried about a cursed tele ring or something, just keep it in your pocket. Better to save scroll IDs for potions and amulets (which can have some gnarly effects when you remove them). But rings and armor should just be wear-ID'd.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Trip report on relying entirely on Auto-Skilling as a MiFi: It works really really well, except that it doesn't put enough into Invo & Evo. Started juggling spells skills after my first 2 runes to try to get some support spells online. Would probably be possible to 3-rune a Berserker with only ever setting weapon skill to * instead of + but otherwise never touching skills (maybe making sure Evo gets enough love post-lair).

Died in Vaults 5 to being swarmed while in sight of 2 Entropic Weavers. Should have popped tele as soon as the first one showed up. Also should have farmed up more XP in Depths before trying to face-tank the ambush.
http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue//Speleothing/morgue-Speleothing-20161112-214601.txt

edit: Also, check out all those uniques on Snake:4

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Nov 13, 2016

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

hito posted:

Also there's virtually never a reason to scroll-ID a ring; if you have absolutely no ?RemoveCurse and are worried about a cursed tele ring or something, just keep it in your pocket. Better to save scroll IDs for potions and amulets (which can have some gnarly effects when you remove them). But rings and armor should just be wear-ID'd.

Absolutely not. Any artifact should never be worn ID'd unless you have no scrolls. Otherwise you run the risk of equipping a lovely artifact that has *drain or *contam. Drain really sucks in the short term, but contam can potentially gently caress up your whole game if you get bad muts from it. Odds are you won't have a bunch of cancellation potions to chug and cancel out its effects.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Mighty Dicktron posted:

No matter how attractive the Obsidian Axe looks, it is and always will be the most dangerous unrand to use.

What does it do?

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

tote up a bags posted:

Banish is a bit confusing in terms of XP - Do I want to drop them low then banish, or just fire it off if scary things appear?
The answer for this and anything else that reduces your xp is "you can't gain xp if you're dead". Summon those makhleb demons, use those undead minions, banish those monsters, corrupt those floors. If you feel a little bit threatened, you need to be using your power tools.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

What does it do?

It turns you into a crawl Donald Trump, unable to stay away from a fight even at 3am.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

What does it do?

Mesmerizes you when you see a monster.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Bug report?: I'm getting really hungry from Wrath of Trog activating, did that (and *Rage items) get missed in the voluntary vs involuntary berserk hunger cost patch?

E: Nevermind, I must have just gotten conveniently hungry 3 times in a row as the berserk activated, it doesn't seem to be happening now.

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Nov 13, 2016

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Every once in a while --more-- provides a freeze frame that expresses a combo in a nutshell. Here is Halfling Fire Elementalist:

I came in to write a treatise on what fast little bastards wasps and hornets in this game are and how I hate them almost as much as I do their real life counterparts, but while doing my meticulous Petersen Field Guide level research I am forced to ask this question instead:
Why is blinkbolt being used to make spark wasps into total shitheads you hate hate hate instead of being an awesome air/transmutation player spell?

Blinkbolt posted:

Blinkbolt is a monster-only spell which transforms the caster into a bolt of lightning, blasting its way through targets and depositing the caster wherever the spell's range ends. As with any electricity damage spell, it can be reflected off of rock or stone walls, allowing for multizaps, but metal and green crystal walls end the spell's range early.

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Nov 14, 2016

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
I should point out this is a halfling who has been mutated to the point that he has horns visible from 16 bits away so it's not intended to be representative of halflings overall who are a hardy mutation resistant stock and hardly ever have horns or even tiny little vestigal pig tails

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Clearly a demi-halfling. Would have been worshipped as a god in the early ages of the Halfling civilization! :v:

Also blinkbolt might be too useful as an escape option; it would be a dual-class lower power version of controlled blink which would not be affected by -Tele levels.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Sage Grimm posted:

Clearly a demi-halfling. Would have been worshipped as a god in the early ages of the Halfling civilization! :v:

Also blinkbolt might be too useful as an escape option; it would be a dual-class lower power version of controlled blink which would not be affected by -Tele levels.

Have it work like chain lightning in that it jumps target to target and you don't pick the final destination. Then it's just like a dual-class version of regular blink that always leaves you near an enemy, but does damage.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Counterpoint: no one said it had to be a LOW LEVEL air/transmut spell. Level 8, be a cool thing to be able to memorize as a counterpoint to the ubiquitous CBlink and worthy of consideration just on the merit of that. Being split to a garbage school is plenty of balance.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
Please change the 27 Bows title to something less dumb than "Merry (species)" thanks.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Devlan Mud posted:

Please change the 27 Bows title to something less dumb than "Merry (species)" thanks.
FR: Christmas race

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Devlan Mud posted:

Why are you complaining about one of the best titles in the game???

I'm glad my first online win was as a Merry Octopus.

Poison Mushroom posted:

FR: Christmas race

Evergreen Stalker

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Internet Kraken posted:

Evergreen Stalker

Pine Stalker.

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why
Reflavor Basajauns as Yetis.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Devlan Mud posted:

27-skill titles are punishment for putting too many points into a single skill. proof: the axes title

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Mighty Dicktron posted:

i had a game once with obsidian axe & maxwell's armour, years ago. the temptation was too great to resist...

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
maxwell's is a foul demon of temptation

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I've never used Maxwell's because -cast is a joke. Pure melee characters are too boring for me.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The obsidian axe is good in zigsprint as a way to clear the first few rooms while you get Qazlal online

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
maxwell's is great on Fo lol

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

huh, the 27-skill title for Staves is Chief of Staff :cripes:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Weeping Wound posted:

Its perfect is what it is.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

Its perfect is what it is.

:agreed:

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

PleasingFungus posted:

27-skill titles are punishment for putting too many points into a single skill. proof: the axes title

I deliberately got 27 necromancy skill on my felid win for the good title 'felid of death'. Died 8 times but still survived!

e: Like a third of all 27 titles are lame, another third are silly jokes, and the remaining third are cool. Most of the cool titles are 6* invocations titles.

Darox fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Nov 14, 2016

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

What was the 27 traps one?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

tote up a bags posted:

Dungeon Master.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

tote up a bags posted:

Traps and DOORS. Why does everyone forget the doors! A high enough T&D skill and OMG you could open doors so quietly!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Weeping Wound posted:

Let me tell you about the 27 title for Short Blades.

Politician

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Haifisch posted:

Let me tell you about the 27 title for Short Blades.

Politician

Fun fact: that used to be Stabbing's when that was a distinct skill. When Stabbing was removed, the title was so good that it got moved to Short Blades, replacing Eviscerator. (Cutthroat got moved over then too for the 21-26 tier; it was Blademaster originally. Elves still get Blademaster at 27 though!)

Prism fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Nov 14, 2016

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
:rip: the Amazing Furry Ant (420 eat the purples all day until your FoFi^Oka has Shaggy Fur 3), wandered through Snake Pit and ended in a corner, next to two Shock Serpents, without rElec

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

What are the requirements to not have 'Your armour prevents you from hitting <x>' in plate?

• Locked thread