Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer

Venom Snake posted:

I'm praying Tim doesn't resist the progressive take over. Thank you for your efforts. The more people doing this the more likely they sober up instead of moping in their own misery and the party needs VA solid blue now more than ever.

I thought you said Kaine was already on board...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Apparently there's something of a college dem club at the big college in my county (one of the reddest, blood-red areas of a blood-red state of Tennessee).

I'm going to make a couple of calls and see if we can't get some coordination going.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Clinton got more scandal coverage only in the sense that they proportionally got more coverage compared to how much they were really scandals. The loving emails kept coming back like herpes and poor it practice was being put side by side with breaking the Cuba embargo.

What if all those nothingburgers were in fact burgers to everyone outside the Clinton bubble? Sure a lot of them were tiny White Castle sliders but when your response to real scandals is to lie and cover poo poo up then it becomes easy to assume that you're lieing and covering poo poo up whenever they hear about something.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Venom Snake posted:

Ill be down in Orlando around mid December but if I hear anything I'll make sure you know. The college dems at UCF unironically had there poo poo together and are massive bernie supporters. I'm looking forward to doing stuff with them.

Well I live here so

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

I'm like 10 pages back working through this thread, but this twitter post brings up something I want to discuss.

How the hell are we supposed to motivate our peers when half of them only speak in pop culture references.

https://twitter.com/ryanezinga/status/796235338460999681
https://twitter.com/lukesevereid/status/796382664810823680
https://twitter.com/adh94/status/796241027116003328

When everywhere I look I see poo poo like this, I think maybe we should just burn everything to the ground and live in a post apocalyptic hellscape.

Then the other half of the people respond to any thought of politics as "Politics ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ the sun will come up tomorrow. Let's everyone just get along."

Or I actually saw someone post yesterday "Facebook is so much better when you just unfollow anyone and anything that isn't a meme page. Only happiness here."

:suicide:

How do you connect to people like that? How are we supposed to motivate people when this is how they act to anything?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Thoguh posted:

What if all those nothingburgers were in fact burgers to everyone outside the Clinton bubble? Sure a lot of them were tiny White Castle sliders but when your response to real scandals is to lie and cover poo poo up then it becomes easy to assume that you're lieing and covering poo poo up whenever they hear about something.

So many people I know assumed that things were nothingburgers because everyone in their (also 100% pro-Clinton) circles treated them that way and paid no more attention to it

SEE: the Goldman Sachs speeches, by the time they were leaked the specter of Trump had eradicated all dissent on the left, and the right honestly didn't give a poo poo about the speeches, so therefore the speeches were nothing special, the fact that reading them made me want to puke notwithstanding

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

Venom Snake posted:

I'm praying Tim doesn't resist the progressive take over. Thank you for your efforts. The more people doing this the more likely they sober up instead of moping in their own misery and the party needs VA solid blue now more than ever.

I also just called his office because apparently the house goes into session at 2 and you need a pass from either your senator or representative to sit in the gallery.

I wonder how many people know how easy it is to just friggin call the people that represent you. And if you live in DC YOU CAN JUST GO SEE THE THINGS HAPPEN! I've lived in this area for 6 years and I have NEVER taken advantage of this. My friend told me to write a short, concise sentence on each issue I car about JUST IN CASE I run into someone.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

I'm like 10 pages back working through this thread, but this twitter post brings up something I want to discuss.

How the hell are we supposed to motivate our peers when half of them only speak in pop culture references.

When everywhere I look I see poo poo like this, I think maybe we should just burn everything to the ground and live in a post apocalyptic hellscape.

Then the other half of the people respond to any thought of politics as "Politics ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ the sun will come up tomorrow. Let's everyone just get along."

Or I actually saw someone post yesterday "Facebook is so much better when you just unfollow anyone and anything that isn't a meme page. Only happiness here."

How do you connect to people like that? How are we supposed to motivate people when this is how they act to anything?

there is one politician who knows how to capture meme magic

:bernin:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
So today I wrote like seven emails to various MA Dems saying "hey Keith Ellison is cool and good we should support him for DNC Chair."

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

Connect UBI with national service through americorps, force people into randomized work cohorts and revive the federal art project so we can make America beautiful again after trump vandalizes the entire country with his garbage aesthetic tastes.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe The Patriots were the good guys

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

I live in Williamson County, TX, which is typically pretty red but surprisingly this year went a little blue and elected a Dem to County Commissioner Precinct 1, though tbh I have no idea what a County Commissioner actually does, so... yeah. I've been trying to figure out how to connect with my local Democrat offices, and insofar have found nothing on their websites on meetings being had this week. Any fellow Austinites have an idea of what I could be doing right now?

Also in terms of "what can I do in Austin/Round Rock?", what organizations can I look into for donating my time and money? Which of the many Dem groups in the area are the ones I should actually be paying attention to? I've only been marginally politically aware for the last couple years (I only just got my citizenship in October '14), so I really have no clue what I can be doing to help out.

surfacelevelspeck has issued a correction as of 17:43 on Nov 14, 2016

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Zikan posted:

i agree with bernie and all and am heavily involved with the draft keith campaign.

but explicitly saying white working class instead of working class is not going to go down well with some of the people we need to win over in the democratic coalition

I understand what he's saying but isn't the white working class vote, especially up North, is heavily driven by unions?

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

So today I wrote like seven emails to various MA Dems saying "hey Keith Ellison is cool and good we should support him for DNC Chair."

this is very good but remember that phone calls work much much better than emails

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I hope you are going to the meeting tonight where everyone relevant is likely to be, since it is open to the public and this is possible going to be a serious topic of conversation.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

loquacius posted:

SEE: the Goldman Sachs speeches, by the time they were leaked the specter of Trump had eradicated all dissent on the left, and the right honestly didn't give a poo poo about the speeches, so therefore the speeches were nothing special, the fact that reading them made me want to puke notwithstanding

...these were leaked? I admit, I was thoroughly in "gently caress this poo poo I'm working out and drinking until election day" territory once the democratic primaries were over.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

...these were leaked? I admit, I was thoroughly in "gently caress this poo poo I'm working out and drinking until election day" territory once the democratic primaries were over.

What little I read of them was pretty disgusting, specifically the one where Clinton ends complaining about ethics rules in Washington and how you go to Washington to make money and how it's really sad and unfair how poorly the wealthy are treated by having to follow stupid ethics rules that prevent them from making even more money while they are there.

Zikan posted:

i agree with bernie and all and am heavily involved with the draft keith campaign.

but explicitly saying white working class instead of working class is not going to go down well with some of the people we need to win over in the democratic coalition

You sort of sound like the people arguing against "Black Lives Matter" because it should say "All Lives Matter" - the white working class is very specifically the group Democrats have stopped even giving lip service or anything but contempt too lately, they still give at least that to the black working class (but no more than lip service, haha).

Are we really not supposed to say the name of the demographic we need to target, now? We've got to leave things in the vaguest possible "All Lives Matter" terms so as to avoid offending anybody who might not be included, even if we're simultaneously advocating policies to support them too?

Maybe you're right, but I'm not going to take that kind of claim at face value.

GlyphGryph has issued a correction as of 17:57 on Nov 14, 2016

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

bump_fn posted:

this is very good but remember that phone calls work much much better than emails

It was after making calls that I wrote emails.

GlyphGryph posted:

I hope you are going to the meeting tonight where everyone relevant is likely to be, since it is open to the public and this is possible going to be a serious topic of conversation.

Sadly I didn't realize the meeting was tonight until, like, this morning, and will likely not have available transport to reach said meeting. Doesn't mean I'm not gonna give it a shot, mind.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

the speeches were leaked, but i remember people saying there was some pretty fishy (as in, didn't look real) stuff in them. any of the wikileaks releases would have been easy to doctor

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

MeatwadIsGod posted:

https://theintercept.com/2016/10/07/excerpts-of-hillary-clintons-paid-speeches-to-goldman-sachs-finally-leaked/

quote:

Touching on her view of developing financial regulations, Clinton declared to a crowd of Goldman Sachs bankers that in order to “figure out what works,” the “people that know the industry better than anybody are the people who work in the industry.”

At the Goldman Sachs Builders and Innovators Summit, Clinton responded to a question from chief executive Lloyd Blankfein, who quipped that you “go to Washington” to “make a small fortune.” Clinton agreed with the comment and complained about ethics rules that require officials to divest from certain assets before entering government. “There is such a bias against people who have led successful and/or complicated lives,” Clinton said.

At a speech for Morgan Stanley on April 18, 2013, Clinton praised the Simpson-Bowles deficit reduction plan — which would reduce corporate tax rates while raising the Social Security age. “But Simpson-Bowles — and I know you heard from Erskine earlier today — put forth the right framework. Namely, we have to restrain spending, we have to have adequate revenues, and we have to incentivize growth. It’s a three-part formula,” she said.

Clinton also told a housing trade group in 2013 that on certain issues, she has “a public and a private position.” “If everybody’s watching, you know, all of the back room discussions and the deals, you know, then people get a little nervous, to say the least,” said Clinton. “So, you need both a public and a private position.”

:barf:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

As distasteful as I find Schumer on many things, I have to believe that these are just words. Warren has also pledged to work with Trump in the future, but it's pretty clear that she's talking mostly about infrastructure projects. Schumer may be grotesque in a lot of regards, but he's no dummy. He knows he's in an extremely vulnerable position right now. I fully expect him to oppose Trump's poo poo left and right after inauguration day, if for no other reason than his political survival depends on it.

I'm also hoping that he knows a lot of procedural tricks (he certainly should; he has decades of institutional knowledge) that will make it so the Dems don't even have to use the filibuster. That would be good; the Dems don't want the Republicans nuking that option in the future.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Uh, it's not as though the Wikileaks stuff was fake

Peel posted:

the speeches were leaked, but i remember people saying there was some pretty fishy (as in, didn't look real) stuff in them. any of the wikileaks releases would have been easy to doctor

They were all real. A bunch of Dem operatives (like Donna Brazile) tried to muddy the waters by heavily implying that there was something suspicious in these leaks, but none of them could point out even a single fake or doctored item when asked.

Zoran has issued a correction as of 18:04 on Nov 14, 2016

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
There is huge pushback from liberals about Dems becoming more labor oriented and Keith Ellison dodging questions about the future of the party.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

loquacius posted:

So many people I know assumed that things were nothingburgers because everyone in their (also 100% pro-Clinton) circles treated them that way and paid no more attention to it

Pretty much the same as the Podesta emails. Nothing earth shattering and nothing that someone voting Trump would care about, or anything that would make someone switch to Trump. But a lot of stuff that probably made independents decide to stay home or vote third party because they confirmed a lot of the stuff that had been assumed but shouted down earlier.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Zoran posted:

Uh, it's not as though the Wikileaks stuff was fake

No, but overblown and published out of context. Information can be true and misleading at the same time.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Thoguh posted:

Pretty much the same as the Podesta emails. Nothing earth shattering and nothing that someone voting Trump would care about, or anything that would make someone switch to Trump. But a lot of stuff that probably made independents decide to stay home or vote third party because they confirmed a lot of the stuff that had been assumed but shouted down earlier.

It's still getting shouted down now

Since you mention it the Podesta emails had a similar effect on me but it wasn't exactly like they were gonna make me vote Trump.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Zikan posted:

Working class people believe in the value of empty intersectionality about the same as everyone else, ie not at all whatsoever.

Make it plain this is a movement for white, black, latino and asian working class people. It's important to name names or else it ends up sounding like a worthless Clinton soundbite.

Jhanez
Feb 27, 2007

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE

Majorian posted:

As distasteful as I find Schumer on many things, I have to believe that these are just words. Warren has also pledged to work with Trump in the future, but it's pretty clear that she's talking mostly about infrastructure projects. Schumer may be grotesque in a lot of regards, but he's no dummy. He knows he's in an extremely vulnerable position right now. I fully expect him to oppose Trump's poo poo left and right after inauguration day, if for no other reason than his political survival depends on it.

I'm also hoping that he knows a lot of procedural tricks (he certainly should; he has decades of institutional knowledge) that will make it so the Dems don't even have to use the filibuster. That would be good; the Dems don't want the Republicans nuking that option in the future.

Why, at this particular point in history, having observed and lived through the Democrats that we've lived through, why on EARTH would you believe that these are just words.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Zikan posted:

Dude, he is literally pushing for a black Muslim with bonafide progressive credentials that represents a 65% white district. Its basically the definition for a diverse coalition centered around working class populism. If people are still gonna think that Bernie is advocating for surrender to the Trump white supremacy brigade because of that I dunno what to tell them.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Trump's scandals didn't hurt him (or at least, doom him) because he wasn't running a campaign built on the illusion of decency. Hillary was; being absolutely obsessed with making this election a referendum on decency when a large swathe of America is legitimately angry and scared was, in a word, ridiculous.
That was my point to a degree in response to the tweets about dems being a failed group or consultancy. Dems actually have to lead and legislate, so its harder than what reps have to do. Republicans just have to destroy, obstruct, or stall. They don't have to come up with solutions. They don't represent anything which is why an orange con-man could take over their party in one election. Dems often fail or get bought out but that's due for the course of living in a capitalistic world. The country actually supports most of the progressive stuff, has historically supported those policies, created a working democracy for most people, and dems have to figure out how to make it better. Its dumb to bash the dems as an whole (Clintons excluded because they are hack frauds) or praise republicans because the two parties serve fundamentally different roles in our politics.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
You know what working class people really don't want? A war with Russia. Like it isn't going to be 70something rich white women who get drafted for that poo poo. Maybe the reason Obama got so many votes is that he was all about de-escalation in 2008???? just a little something to think about for the democrats.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Jhanez posted:

Why, at this particular point in history, having observed and lived through the Democrats that we've lived through, why on EARTH would you believe that these are just words.

Because of what I wrote, and you apparently didn't read. Schumer's top objective is his political survival. He wants to keep being leader of the Dems in the Senate.

jBrereton posted:

You know what working class people really don't want? A war with Russia. Like it isn't going to be 70something rich white women who get drafted for that poo poo. Maybe the reason Obama got so many votes is that he was all about de-escalation in 2008???? just a little something to think about for the democrats.

A war with Russia was never on the table.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Majorian posted:

No just a no fly zone over Syria that would infer going to war with Syria and possibly Russia, plus an absolutely loving insane level of THE RUSSIANS posturing so far past saturation point that the attempted oppo bomb of a child sex allegation against Trump almost couldn't be heard over Hillary's team denouncing the head of the FBI and Trump as FSB stooges.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
cant believe dems are still praying to St. Oppo

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Al! posted:

cant believe dems are still praying to St. Oppo

Rick wilson drops n word tape during inaugeration

Think about that one for a sec

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Scent of Worf posted:

This guy is dumb as gently caress. He assumes a whole bunch of poo poo about the people working for trump. He also assumes they would let their differences get in the way of the fact that the GOP controls a very large portion of the government and that they have near free rein to do whatever they want.

These same worthless pundits were the ones talking about how the GOP was on the brink of collapse after the pussy tape came out and a few Rs denounced Trump. Not once throughout the race were there ever more than a few true unendorsements of Trump from the GOP. Most of those officials came crawling back while the vast majority had fallen in line long ago.

Yeah Jeet Heer is really Cool and Good but this is the dumbest tweetstorm I have ever seen him fire off.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

jBrereton posted:

No just a no fly zone over Syria that would infer going to war with Syria and possibly Russia, plus an absolutely loving insane level of THE RUSSIANS posturing so far past saturation point that the attempted oppo bomb of a child sex allegation against Trump almost couldn't be heard over Hillary's team denouncing the head of the FBI and Trump as FSB stooges.

A no-fly zone probably wouldn't have led to outright war with Russia. The plan was to negotiate a no-fly zone with Russia's acquiescence and cooperation. If and when Russia refused to play ball, the plan likely would have fallen by the wayside. Either way, it almost certainly would not have led to an outright war with Russia. It might have caused a proxy war in the region, but that's hardly what you're claiming. The no-fly zone was a terrible idea, but it probably wouldn't have had the ramifications that you're claiming.

There has been very little "THE RUSSIANS" posturing from the Obama Administration, other than the fallout one would expect from our degrading relations with them. The Clinton camp highlighted Russia's hacking of DNC files was pretty valid, because the entire U.S. intelligence community agrees that that's what happened.

Also, the Clinton camp didn't call Comey an FBI stooge.

Also also, Clinton condemning he Russians for interfering in our election almost certainly didn't play a major role in the way anyone voted.

You sound like you are on drugs.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Scent of Worf posted:

There is huge pushback from liberals about Dems becoming more labor oriented and Keith Ellison dodging questions about the future of the party.

purge the blairites

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

Majorian posted:

Listening to the Democratic party scapegoat the Russian government like it was 1985 didn't make it seem like that.

And you might say there was no Scapegoating but by the time it was happening I certainly didn't take anything the Clintons said on faith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

MaxxBot posted:

Yeah Jeet Heer is really Cool and Good but this is the dumbest tweetstorm I have ever seen him fire off.

What about the Canadian animal fucker books thread

• Locked thread