Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Tiny Brontosaurus is a black woman. Might want to ease off on the whitesplaining/mansplaining accusations.

I don't think they're here on a goodwill mission

Anywho, how are you all holding up? What have y'all done to take care of yourselves?

Fallout and :420: have been big helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

teen witch posted:

Anywho, how are you all holding up? What have y'all done to take care of yourselves?

Getting rid of "friends" on Facebook helped. Limiting the threads I visit on d and d helped too.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
Don't watch the news. Where I work there is a TV constantly droning CNN very close to me, and it wasn't until this weekend that I realized that hearing that garbage was having an real effect on my psyche.

I was angry and depressed all week, and really felt like myself only when removed from the bullshit.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
I'm still angry, but have calmed dow by cutting off the news, mostly. Watching them normalize the bigoted manchild clown and his supporters' crimes for ratings makes my blood boil, so this is necessary for my mental health.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

A lot of rye whiskey, a lot of Bad Brains/Unlocking the Truth/Bleed the Pigs, and a lot of playing with my daughters.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

visceril posted:

Don't watch the news. Where I work there is a TV constantly droning CNN very close to me, and it wasn't until this weekend that I realized that hearing that garbage was having an real effect on my psyche.

I was angry and depressed all week, and really felt like myself only when removed from the bullshit.

:same:

Far too much rage fodder in pretty much every single news station's broadcasting when it comes to anything that isn't one of those "please adopt these rescue animals" or whatever on the local channels right now (and those are depressing for totally different reasons).

EDIT: I'm going to put this poo poo behind spoiler tags because just typing it out pissed me off again this morning and if people are just now starting to feel better I don't want to ruin anyone else's week.

For deciding whether to read it anyway, it's about the election and voter suppression and how nobody is investigating it (or even willing to call it what it is because the sheer numbers are horrifying).

I mean, there were some posts circulating around the various bits of the Internet I read this weekend about how the votes that went Republican this time around were within a few percentage points of the same level in the past three elections (2008, 2012, 2016), but the number of votes that went Democrat dropped by nearly 30%.

Looking at the number of popular votes cast, not the electoral votes.

~69.5million for Obama in 2008 to ~66million for Obama in 2012 to only ~59.8million for Hillary in 2016.
~59.9million for McCain in 2008, to ~60.9million for Romney in 2012 and ~59.6million for Trump in 2016.

Huge, clear leads for Obama in the last two election and then the Electoral votes running in line with that because 10 million or even 5 million votes is harder to handwave as an Electoral victory possibility than .2 million is this time around.

Meanwhile all of the stories are about how many people opted to vote for Trump against their best interests and no effort is going into figuring out just how much voter intimidation/suppression is going on because while the racist/sexist surge is a problem, it doesn't explain everything on it's own.

Also there is way too much time spent on some effort to handwave the intimidation/suppression away as "People were too confident in the forecast polls and stayed home" or "So many people are disgusted with both parties they stayed home" or even that stupid "If Bernie won the primary things would be different" which is loving stupid.

It's tempting to say "well, clearly there were huge swathes of the population that just stayed home that would normally have voted" but there were tons of clear messages of encouragement in the news leading up to Election Day to have people at the polls to intimidate PoC voters.

Plus you had what essentially amounted to promises of being able to get away with it from press releases out of the group that monitors elections saying they didn't have enough staff to go to every state and watch out for voter suppression ("please report it if you see it and we'll do something about it, we swear!").

Also holy poo poo I might as well not have a Facebook anymore after purging the idiots that were circulating that dipshit meme about "Where were the riots when Obama won?" (forgetting all about all of the post-sports-game riots white people have whenever their favored team loses, much less the actual poo poo white people pulled after each Obama election that gets under-reported).

So yeah, that was my weekend getting upset over lovely news stories.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
NOBODY has mentioned the Shelby County decision and the impact that this had on the election. Several people who wanted to vote couldn't because of the New Jim Crow we have here. Republicans have openly admitted what these voter ID laws and restrictions on boating are designed to do, and Democrats the mainstream media have just excepted it as the new normal. No one is outraged by this. Nobody in the mainstream is doing anything about it.

But really gently caress the people that could have easily voted but didn't vote. Those people, who weren't inspired by Hillary, or believed the right wing propaganda about her, or just didn't think voting against Trump was a big deal--those people are bigots and sexists just like the actual Trump voters. But in addition to that they're cowards that lack the courage of their convictions, and collaborators to fascism.

It was racist discrimination and cowardice that won the election for a TV fascist

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

And more than a bit of childish petulance.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
Donating to PP, ACLU, SPLC, Trans Help Lone and a few other organizations I fear will be hampered (to say the least) by this administration helps. Also I had started volunteering with my company's partner in education a couple weeks back and I think doing that and working with the kids will also help. And I need to do better about staying on my Senator's rear end. He's terrible, but keeps being reelected because Republican incumbent. Maybe if I can join in with a group of folks calling his office, letter campaigns, etc. I could at least get my voice heard.

This is the most "normal" I've felt in days.

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

Mostly poorly, what with working with children since the election. SO many of em were scared. Other than that I have just been avoiding the news and helping my brother pick a fight with a local Fire Department cause they doubled down when my brother gave them some poo poo for some public comments advocating killing protesters by one of their members. Got a lovely little death threat from the Fire Chief, and now the SPLC are involved :D

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

White people melting down about protests is the worst.

They somehow think you can protest without a modicum of inconvenience. I don't understand how that's supposed to work.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

AggressivelyStupid posted:

They somehow think you can protest without a modicum of inconvenience. I don't understand how that's supposed to work.

If you could all move to the designated Free Speech Zone, your voices will be heard.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Reminder that the break neck pace of the LGBT movement is generally agreed to have started by the dregs of gay society fighting the cops.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

AggressivelyStupid posted:

The only valid protest is MY protest. I think there would be unrest regardless of who won the election because there were lots of people (mostly white men) threatening an uprising. Some former Congressman said something to the effect of "If Hilary wins on 11/8, I'm taking up my rifle on 11/9". These are the people who unironically think the South will rise again.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
EDIT: What was here is currently gone until I figure out why the spoiler tags weren't working.
EDIT2: Apparently the quote tag breaks spoiler tags, so to be clear, I didn't write this, this was a PM sent to me by another forum poster.

"I wanted to give you a heads up that your numbers are wrong. In the wake of the loss a cottage industry in explaining it sprung up overnight and a lot of them either do not understand how voting is reported or are willing to lie to their readers.

Vote counting is still ongoing. Clinton is likely to have a final vote count of several million more than Trump. Trump will have received more voted than Romney and third party candidates will have received roughly 7 million votes, all of which ignores undervotes(No preference filled in) and spoiled ballots in the Presidential race. The crux of all this is that any argument relying on reading the margin or turnout figures right now is working in the dark with unfinished figures and is intentionally overestimating their case thereby to make it sound more solid.

I would highly suggest, if you're interested in looking into turnout breakdowns for explanatory power, that you wait atleast until Nov 29th when most states post their final figures. In the mean time Cook political report is reporting the new figures as vote totals are updates.

http://cookpolitical.com/story/10174"

My original complaint about under-reporting of voter intimidation/suppression still stands. It's absolutely terrifying the direction that the media-narrative is taking regarding the protests and trying to normalize Trump being elected.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Nov 14, 2016

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Is it just me or are the salty red titles getting worse?

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Morby posted:

The only valid protest is MY protest. I think there would be unrest regardless of who won the election because there were lots of people (mostly white men) threatening an uprising. Some former Congressman said something to the effect of "If Hilary wins on 11/8, I'm taking up my rifle on 11/9". These are the people who unironically think the South will rise again.

The south will rise again. Just like it did the first time when a guy got elected promises to not touch the slavery issue but maybe keeping it just to south of the Mason Dixon. Honestly I'm not sure if the Confederates decided not to throw their temper tantrum and galvanized Republicans and War Democrats if we ever would have abolished slavery.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

visceril posted:

NOBODY has mentioned the Shelby County decision and the impact that this had on the election. Several people who wanted to vote couldn't because of the New Jim Crow we have here. Republicans have openly admitted what these voter ID laws and restrictions on boating are designed to do, and Democrats the mainstream media have just excepted it as the new normal. No one is outraged by this. Nobody in the mainstream is doing anything about it.

But really gently caress the people that could have easily voted but didn't vote. Those people, who weren't inspired by Hillary, or believed the right wing propaganda about her, or just didn't think voting against Trump was a big deal--those people are bigots and sexists just like the actual Trump voters. But in addition to that they're cowards that lack the courage of their convictions, and collaborators to fascism.

It was racist discrimination and cowardice that won the election for a TV fascist

Whitelash was incredibly successful and will continue forever. Held up by the various "not-racists" as the Republicans do their damnedest to get ever more horrifying bigotry normalized so they can cling to power for the next thirty years or so. We had a man who ordered his heavily armed followers to intimidate PoC at the polls and trying to incite violence if he lost and that meant absolutely nothing to our media since they're right onto licking his boots for access. White supremacy remains strong and that makes white men feel so much safer. They succeeded in rolling back the clock already and the orange bastard hasn't even taken office yet.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Taerkar posted:

Is it just me or are the salty red titles getting worse?

I saw some pretty bad red titles over the weekend, but the really bad/unfair ones got replaced with normal avatars again pretty rapidly.

I mean, holy poo poo somebody has some terrible things to say about Koala's March and Tiny Brontosaurus that they'll pay to put in their custom title instead of in a post they can get banned/probated for.

EDIT:

Okay, I just got through watching the John Oliver video about the election and he actually put forward some very good ideas for things that can be done (donating money to specific groups that fight against all of the bullshit Trump and Pence campaign on, for starters) that aren't wringing hands and being upset over it.

Here is the video link to the time where he actually starts talking about solutions vs. summarizing how hosed up things are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rSDUsMwakI&t=1128s

I especially like the idea of donations to these groups in the name of racist relatives and saying that is their Christmas present this year.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Nov 14, 2016

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

teen witch posted:

I'm trying so hard to not sink into depression, but it's hard.

Half my ancestors lived on reservations or were forced to navigate a world of "No Coloreds" signs while the other half of my ancestors lived large on their privilege. This was an internal conflict that I have wrestled with for a long time, but I didn't think I'd ever see the day that we'd actually go back to that type of society. Except this time, they want to add a "No Faggots" sign next to the "No Coloreds". I just don't even know how to start coping with that, and there's still a bunch of people that I'm just not talking to because I know I'd say to them exactly what I just said in this post and I would lose my job for doing it.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I saw some pretty bad red titles over the weekend, but the really bad/unfair ones got replaced with normal avatars again pretty rapidly.

I mean, holy poo poo somebody has some terrible things to say about Koala's March and Tiny Brontosaurus that they'll pay to put in their custom title instead of in a post they can get banned/probated for.

EDIT:

Okay, I just got through watching the John Oliver video about the election and he actually put forward some very good ideas for things that can be done (donating money to specific groups that fight against all of the bullshit Trump and Pence campaign on, for starters) that aren't wringing hands and being upset over it.

Here is the video link to the time where he actually starts talking about solutions vs. summarizing how hosed up things are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rSDUsMwakI&t=1128s

I especially like the idea of donations to these groups in the name of racist relatives and saying that is their Christmas present this year.

I mean, that is the shortcut of the system, but they pay 10 bucks either way.

But one is obviously the more cowardly route.

Me, I just stopped watching the news entirely. The fact that they have pretty much abdicated their journalistic integrity is sad, so I'm sticking to print media.

The fact that Hillary is trying to make nice with Trump instead of trying to rip states that engaged in blatant voter suppression a new one, is infuriating and lends credence to the theory that there's really no difference between the two sides for minorities.

Also the left is still trying so so very hard to blame everyone except white people and white supremacy it's getting ridiculous at this point.

For a lot of minorities, all that poo poo Trump said got him fade on sight status. I would not be surprised if his election leads to either a civil war or a constitutional crisis of some sort.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

negromancer posted:

The fact that Hillary is trying to make nice with Trump instead of trying to rip states that engaged in blatant voter suppression a new one, is infuriating and lends credence to the theory that there's really no difference between the two sides for minorities.

I kind of doubt Hillary actually wants to be nice to Trump. She ran on trying to shame him for not conforming to the peaceful transition of power, if she doesn't follow suit she'll get castigated. He's also a guy who ran literally on sending her to prison. It's cowardly, but I doubt it's an expression of her being like "gently caress yeah, Trump is president and it owns!"

Edit: Like Hillary refused to shake his hand on live television at the second debate after the Access Hollywood tape came out. I think she probably loathes everything he represents.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

negromancer posted:

I mean, that is the shortcut of the system, but they pay 10 bucks either way.

But one is obviously the more cowardly route.

Me, I just stopped watching the news entirely. The fact that they have pretty much abdicated their journalistic integrity is sad, so I'm sticking to print media.

Also the left is still trying so so very hard to blame everyone except white people and white supremacy it's getting ridiculous at this point.

For a lot of minorities, all that poo poo Trump said got him fade on sight status. I would not be surprised if his election leads to either a civil war or a constitutional crisis of some sort.

HIllary, like Obama, has the unenviable position of being something other than an old white man in politics. Whenever they bring up any issue of discrimination, it's so piss easy for white America to totally blow it off as "whining" because they already consider them lessers. Them mentioning the idea that they are held to different standards plays right into the persecution complex of white America and gleeful manipulations of right wing propaganda. America is just at the point where right wing reality distortion has grown so strong that nothing short of Trump openly stating that he hates and intends to murder every single non-white person while wearing a bedsheet in front of a burning cross is bad enough to rate more than "controversial." Because our media is utterly gutless.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Dave Chappelle helped me and he should help you too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHG0ezLiVGc

It was me. I was the generic white liberal in this.

Seriously though SNL was spot on and Dave hasn't lost a step.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Geostomp posted:

HIllary, like Obama, has the unenviable position of being something other than an old white man in politics. Whenever they bring up any issue of discrimination, it's so piss easy for white America to totally blow it off as "whining" because they already consider them lessers. Them mentioning the idea that they are held to different standards plays right into the persecution complex of white America and gleeful manipulations of right wing propaganda. America is just at the point where right wing reality distortion has grown so strong that nothing short of Trump openly stating that he hates and intends to murder every single non-white person while wearing a bedsheet in front of a burning cross is bad enough to rate more than "controversial." Because our media is utterly gutless.

The fact that she didn't keep up any pressure and immediately folded just plays into the narrative the Bernouts and people who were wary on her already had.

Hillary Clinton: "I'll champion your rights."
Minorities: "Well our rights were violated with Voter ID laws and outright voter suppression in states you lost by a razor margin."
Hillary: "Ah well gently caress it we gotta support our new president!"

It looks like straight fuckery.

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Dave Chappelle helped me and he should help you too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHG0ezLiVGc

It was me. I was the generic white liberal in this.

Seriously though SNL was spot on and Dave hasn't lost a step.

I was just about to post this. This was me pretty much. It's amazing how white people with black friends somehow still believed we lived in a post-racial country. It's almost as if they never had any real conversations with their black friends and only had them as props.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
On the other hand, gently caress SNL for letting Trump host.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

negromancer posted:

I was just about to post this. This was me pretty much. It's amazing how white people with black friends somehow still believed we lived in a post-racial country. It's almost as if they never had any real conversations with their black friends and only had them as props.

As a white guy I can say it's super easy to fall into your own bubble of privilege and really believe things are getting better no matter what anyone else says, even if they experience racism and oppression every day. That's what I did and then Trump was elected and it was just a snap back into reality that no, it's still poo poo. I'll try not to fall back into that bubble again but it will happen. It always happens.

whydirt posted:

On the other hand, gently caress SNL for letting Trump host.

Agreed. Weekend Update has basically been Michael and Colin just brutally tearing into him and anyone around him for the past few weeks though.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

negromancer posted:

The fact that she didn't keep up any pressure and immediately folded just plays into the narrative the Bernouts and people who were wary on her already had.

Hillary Clinton: "I'll champion your rights."
Minorities: "Well our rights were violated with Voter ID laws and outright voter suppression in states you lost by a razor margin."
Hillary: "Ah well gently caress it we gotta support our new president!"

It looks like straight fuckery.

Hillary's position is unenviable here and I don't know necessarily what she could do/say that wouldn't come across as sour grapes. And if she doesn't seemingly accept the results, she'll have egg on her face because of her comments about Trump not accepting the results. I see some folks hoping against hope that the Electoral College will switch some of their votes towards her, but there is no way that happens. Even if enough of them did, that would kickoff a ton of unrest. There's no way she could accept it.

Also, re: having white friends, I've barely spoken to a ton of folks after this election. What it comes down to at the end of the day is this:

Either you had no idea about the racist/sexist poo poo he was saying, but he had an R next to his name, so you voted for him
Or you had heard about the racist/sexist poo poo and deliberately ignored it/didn't believe it
Or you heard about the racist/sexist poo poo and didn't care
Or you heard about the racist/sexist poo poo and you approved of it

The end result is that a vote for Trump co-signs the racist/sexist poo poo he's said/done. How can you expect us to still be cool if you vote for a guy who deliberately attacks my personhood? This isn't some kinda normal election where you could say "both sides are bad/wrong" or "I disagree about (insert policy proposal here)". This was a referendum against white supremacy and a lot of y'all blew it because of Bernie, emails, and a whole host of other bullshit.

And if I never see Jill Stein again it'll be too soon. I think I hate her more than Johnson, tbh.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
This was a great read right here.

http://verysmartbrothas.com/why-13-of-black-men-voted-for-donald-trump-explained/

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Morby posted:

Hillary's position is unenviable here and I don't know necessarily what she could do/say that wouldn't come across as sour grapes. And if she doesn't seemingly accept the results, she'll have egg on her face because of her comments about Trump not accepting the results. I see some folks hoping against hope that the Electoral College will switch some of their votes towards her, but there is no way that happens. Even if enough of them did, that would kickoff a ton of unrest. There's no way she could accept it.

Also, re: having white friends, I've barely spoken to a ton of folks after this election. What it comes down to at the end of the day is this:

Either you had no idea about the racist/sexist poo poo he was saying, but he had an R next to his name, so you voted for him
Or you had heard about the racist/sexist poo poo and deliberately ignored it/didn't believe it
Or you heard about the racist/sexist poo poo and didn't care
Or you heard about the racist/sexist poo poo and you approved of it

The end result is that a vote for Trump co-signs the racist/sexist poo poo he's said/done. How can you expect us to still be cool if you vote for a guy who deliberately attacks my personhood? This isn't some kinda normal election where you could say "both sides are bad/wrong" or "I disagree about (insert policy proposal here)". This was a referendum against white supremacy and a lot of y'all blew it because of Bernie, emails, and a whole host of other bullshit.

And if I never see Jill Stein again it'll be too soon. I think I hate her more than Johnson, tbh.

It's this. Every last one of those Stein supporters claiming ideological purity and making GBS threads on Clinton the whole election need to be taken to task. I'm just glad the ones I know weren't a factor in my state. MD wasn't going anywhere but Blue.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Talmonis posted:

It's this. Every last one of those Stein supporters claiming ideological purity and making GBS threads on Clinton the whole election need to be taken to task. I'm just glad the ones I know weren't a factor in my state. MD wasn't going anywhere but Blue.

Stein ran the "I'm not like the *other* girls" campaign.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Talmonis posted:

teen witch posted:

Stein ran the "I'm not like the *other* girls" campaign.

Jill Stein gives tacit approval to 9/11 Truthers, anti-vaxxers, and a whole host of anti-science rhetoric. And she does all of this while making millions of dollars investing in oil, coal, and other industries she rails against. And yet Hillary is the shill.

Also a coworker of mine that I think I'm also gonna have to unfollow shared a post from someone she knows basically calling people out for white privilege. I said that I agreed and that Steve Bannon is basically a White Nationalist and it terrifies me that he'll be Chief of Staff. I was told that I am just afraid of conservative values and opinions. FML. Why do I even bother?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Morby posted:

Jill Stein gives tacit approval to 9/11 Truthers, anti-vaxxers, and a whole host of anti-science rhetoric. And she does all of this while making millions of dollars investing in oil, coal, and other industries she rails against. And yet Hillary is the shill.

Also a coworker of mine that I think I'm also gonna have to unfollow shared a post from someone she knows basically calling people out for white privilege. I said that I agreed and that Steve Bannon is basically a White Nationalist and it terrifies me that he'll be Chief of Staff. I was told that I am just afraid of conservative values and opinions. FML. Why do I even bother?

More people need to be shown/made to listen to her terrible singing voice the next time she tries to run for office.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

It's been really weird in my house this past week.

I'm a white guy married to a black woman, both of us born, raised, and currently living in Alabama. We've been married for 10 years. I used to be a libertarian shitheel but eventually got woke through a continual dose of hypocrisy from that crowd and exposure to my in-laws.

I've had the privilege of being angry at the election, but of course my wife is scared and despondent. I'm scared for her too, and I've been trying my best not to look angry like it's a fun pastime, like some white liberals can be. Trying to keep her spirits up and letting her know I've got her back.

I've burned a few bridges this past week, going against rules of Southern politeness when talking about anything opposing the good old boys.

Just waiting to become competitive enough in my professional field to be able to move to ATL or somewhere, I don't know.

I think i made myself sad typing this.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Morby posted:

I was told that I am just afraid of conservative values and opinions. FML. Why do I even bother?

They'd be afraid too if those values only existed for loving them over personally like most minorities.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Zapf Dingbat posted:

It's been really weird in my house this past week.

I'm a white guy married to a black woman, both of us born, raised, and currently living in Alabama. We've been married for 10 years. I used to be a libertarian shitheel but eventually got woke through a continual dose of hypocrisy from that crowd and exposure to my in-laws.

I've had the privilege of being angry at the election, but of course my wife is scared and despondent. I'm scared for her too, and I've been trying my best not to look angry like it's a fun pastime, like some white liberals can be. Trying to keep her spirits up and letting her know I've got her back.

I've burned a few bridges this past week, going against rules of Southern politeness when talking about anything opposing the good old boys.

Just waiting to become competitive enough in my professional field to be able to move to ATL or somewhere, I don't know.

I think i made myself sad typing this.
Don't feel bad. The people that make me particularly furious are people who shut down dissent to the point that they make everybody around them feel guilty for daring to go against the grain. They get so :qq: about the concept of people telling them "Your racism is bad and you should feel bad" like it's the gravest insult you can throw at them.

This also makes me believe they know exactly what they are doing ; if they really didn't know how they were making others feel, they wouldn't get so defensive or double down on racist garbage.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Morby posted:

You should probably do the "ask for explanation until they say something that even they can't deny is racist." If they're going to base their identity on poo poo like that, they deserve to get their self-image shattered.

Also holy gently caress Bannon's going to be chief of staff. What the gently caress. Gonna have to throw that one on top of a bridge I'm burning.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

For the folks following at home, that particular tumblr has more than a few broken links in it if you're on the regular website, so here is a link to the archived version that was saved on the Wayback Machine on March 17th of this year (fair warning, if you go to the beginning of the blog and work your way back to the most recent posts things take a decidedly grim turn as the author starts writing about the ever-increasing horrible poo poo they are encountering).

http://web.archive.org/web/20160323014657/http://racismschool.tumblr.com/archive

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

xthetenth posted:

You should probably do the "ask for explanation until they say something that even they can't deny is racist." If they're going to base their identity on poo poo like that, they deserve to get their self-image shattered.

Also holy gently caress Bannon's going to be chief of staff. What the gently caress. Gonna have to throw that one on top of a bridge I'm burning.

He's not. He's been selected as chief strategist, a position I'm unfamiliar with outside an election context. Priebus will be chief of staff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

biracial bear for uncut posted:

More people need to be shown/made to listen to her terrible singing voice the next time she tries to run for office.

Where the hell does she get off being so drat smug about it?

• Locked thread