Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I just got spam urging me to get in early on marijuana stocks.

Buy low, sell high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Mozi posted:

Buy low, sell high.

:golfclap:
Let's disrupt the Union! Calexit! Thank you, angel investors.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
surely the state that elected arnold schwarzenegger as its leader is impervious to tyrrany

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I've worked with Shervin. I wouldn't fret too much.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Subjunctive posted:

I've worked with Shervin. I wouldn't fret too much.

Oh, all my frets are fully occupied elsewhere. I just find the selfrighteousness of the technoclass I am a technoclass both maddening and hilarious.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
did this thread already make fun of https://slock.it and I missed it?

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I still don't understand what they're supposed to do.
Also, they have no idea about what "enforcing" a contract means.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

surely the state that elected arnold schwarzenegger as its leader is impervious to tyrrany

I would vote for Jerry Brown to be dictator for life though.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I thought it was shlock.it but no.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-11-11/peter-thiel-joins-trump-s-presidential-transition-team

presented without comment, too nauseous

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

quote:

Thiel, 49, has publicly decried foreign wars, high debt and inefficient spending on defense, trade, health care and student debt.

"In-efficient spending" :lol:

Watch Thiel crash the world economy

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I mean deep down my biggest issue with for-profit health insurance is that it just seems crushingly inefficient

like look at all that money that clearly didn't need to be spent on it, just look at it

e: I know I'm seeing a very different inefficiency in the spending here than the one he's talking about though

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The real in-efficiency seems to be that you are alive and polluting Peter Theil's billionaire existence with your petty concerns of food, shelter and safety.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

The real in-efficiency seems to be that you are alive and polluting Peter Theil's billionaire existence with your petty concerns of food, shelter and safety.

We could be spending that money on immortality research, drat it.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
truly, we are living in the golden age of rich white guys who act like babies using money to silence and destroy those who criticize them

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

truly, we are living in the golden age of rich white guys who act like babies using money to silence and destroy those who criticize them

The Singlewhiteguyularity has at last come to pass.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

MiddleOne posted:

"In-efficient spending" :lol:

Watch Thiel crash the world economy
Thiel might be the only man around who can kill the F35.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

MiddleOne posted:

Look, if he wants to harvest us for our blood, thems the breaks.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Shugojin posted:

I mean deep down my biggest issue with for-profit health insurance is that it just seems crushingly inefficient

like look at all that money that clearly didn't need to be spent on it, just look at it

e: I know I'm seeing a very different inefficiency in the spending here than the one he's talking about though

Kaiser (which I guess is non-profit) actually seems to do a good job.
I got hit by a car and went to physical therapy for months and they billed the driver's insurance a low 4 figure number for the care (like this was their opening bid).
Kaiser basically runs like a single payer socialized system except that it is run by a private entity.

They do have some issues in some higher complexity areas like transplants though.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

nm posted:

Kaiser (which I guess is non-profit) actually seems to do a good job.
I got hit by a car and went to physical therapy for months and they billed the driver's insurance a low 4 figure number for the care (like this was their opening bid).
Kaiser basically runs like a single payer socialized system except that it is run by a private entity.

They do have some issues in some higher complexity areas like transplants though.

Kaiser told my friend to come back in 48 hours when I drove him to the emergency room with a broken skull. I got to spend the next two days walking him to the bathroom to vomit and giving him more percocet for the blinding pain before they'd do surgery.

Also if you need mental health anything from them, hope you don't plan on seeing the same doctor more than once or any doctor more than 6 times in a year or getting treatment that's not medication decided on by reading a chart.

And never ever leave California cause good luck getting reimbursed if you do and get hurt.

I may have a more negative opinion of Kaiser than you.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

pr0zac posted:

I may have a more negative opinion of Kaiser than you.
When I moved to California, my psych told me under no circumstances to go Kaiser, because they undertreated mental illnesses and had a closed formulary of medications.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
My psych experience with kaiser has been OK, but I just have good ol' vanilla clinical depression for them to treat

I went through like CBT group series and they have a lot of drop in group stuff as well, plus I have the option to see a psychologist on a somewhat regular basis if I wanted to :shrug:

The only really annoying thing was the person that served as like my bridge between the medical and psych services moved on in less than a year :(

Granted I guess this could vary a lot by region

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

AirBnB knuckles under to San Francisco

quote:

Airbnb now says it is willing to provide all local hosts’ information as part of a mandatory registration system it would craft with the city.
In a dramatic about-face, Airbnb says it is ready to police its San Francisco hosts, taking actions it has long resisted as invasive, unrealistic or unwieldy.

The vacation-rental giant told The Chronicle it is willing to provide all local hosts’ names, addresses and guest stays as part of a mandatory registration system it would craft with the city. Once such a system exists, Airbnb could cut off listings when they hit the city’s annual cap on number of nights rented and ensure that apartments where tenants were evicted under the Ellis Act are not rented to travelers, the company said.

The move comes as Airbnb faces two major threats to its business in its hometown.

On Tuesday, the Board of Supervisors is expected to weigh stringent new limits curtailing short-term rentals in a private home to no more than 60 days a year. Currently people renting rooms to travelers can do so 365 days a year, while whole-home rentals are capped at 90 days. And last week, a federal judge indicated that he’s likely to rule against Airbnb in its lawsuit over a San Francisco law that would hold the lodging marketplace and similar companies liable for steep fines and criminal penalties if they book guests into unregistered listings.

“This is a serious proposal to once and for all address the core issues that exist in San Francisco,” said Chris Lehane, Airbnb’s global policy chief. “We can sit across the table from the city and address the issues in a win-win scenario.”
E: My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings.... This is the back of a Facebook sign.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Nov 14, 2016

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

That's the smartest thing I've seen from AirBnB yet

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

They've probably learnt from seeing Uber resisting legislation and getting legislated out of markets one market a time.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

They've probably learnt from seeing Uber resisting legislation and getting legislated out of markets one market a time.

Have we already addressed Uber's attempt to recruit devs by asking people in the target demographic (which I think is just geographic) programming questions while they are on rides? Is "not prone to carsickness" a qualification for Uber devs?

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

WrenP-Complete posted:

Is "not prone to carsickness" a qualification for Uber devs?

How else are you going to work on the corporate bus into work from SF?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

BarbarianElephant posted:

How else are you going to work on the corporate bus into work from SF?

True... but then why are they recruiting on the eastern seaboard?

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

I wonder who will be scapegoated after AirBnB is brought to heel and everyone realizes SF still has a massive housing problem?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

WrenP-Complete posted:

True... but then why are they recruiting on the eastern seaboard?

Because lots of people would relocate to work for Uber.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

wateroverfire posted:

I wonder who will be scapegoated after AirBnB is brought to heel and everyone realizes SF still has a massive housing problem?

I'm not sure what your implication is here. No reasonable person thinks that regulating AirBnB will solve anyone's housing crisis.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

wateroverfire posted:

Free market ideology?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

Because lots of people would relocate to work for Uber.

I was trying to make a longer joke about car sickness and relocation, but it didn't work. Sorry.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

WrenP-Complete posted:

I was trying to make a joke

That was your first and last mistake in D&D.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Debate & Discussion: I was trying to make a joke

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

WrenP-Complete posted:

Have we already addressed Uber's attempt to recruit devs by asking people in the target demographic (which I think is just geographic) programming questions while they are on rides? Is "not prone to carsickness" a qualification for Uber devs?

I think it is just geographic, because I always get them and I don't think there's any demographic info to suggest I can code aside from being a male in my 30s in the Silicon Valley.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Baby Babbeh posted:

I think it is just geographic, because I always get them and I don't think there's any demographic info to suggest I can code aside from being a male in my 30s in the Silicon Valley.

I think you should apply... this is all they need!

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Baby Babbeh posted:

Yeah, I agree.

http://www.businessinsider.com/uber-recruiting-engineers-through-in-app-coding-test-2016-3

quote:

Uber insists that it is not using individual information to identify recruits, but that it is just identifying geographic areas where tech jobs are concentrated to find candidates.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

BarbarianElephant posted:

I think you should apply... this is all they need!
Not necessarily. We don't know their race :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Facebook is run by cowards.

https://gizmodo.com/facebooks-fight-against-fake-news-was-undercut-by-fear-1788808204