Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
Dexter wishes it was as hilarious as this show has become.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
I didn't even have to watch commercials to know that episode was slow

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
This was literally an episode about looking for two guns. They found the guns and left the end. The pacing of this show is terrible. You can tell the network tells them to do 16 episode seasons but they don't want to outpace the comics. Therefore we get entire episodes of darly in his cell, and episodes like this...

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

They're also splitting every episode into 1 per crew. So we have a Maggie ep next week. Then we'll probably check back in with Darryl for an episode. Then we'll jump back to the Kingdom to see how Carol and Morgan are doing. Then A plot with the main group in Alexandria--probably Rosita gets some bullets and takes a shot at Negan--CRISIS MIDSEASON FINALE SOMEONE WILL DIE! Then back for another 8 episodes split between each group where little happens until finally after things are at their lowest everyone bands together to fight Negan. End of season.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

so basically nothing is gonna happen this year

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Yeah I don't understand why this show can't balance the storylines so we see multiple plot lines in an episode. Most other shows can balance the story this way. Maybe once in awhile we pause and focus on one storyline and charter when their story hits a dramatic crescendo but on this show almost every episode is focused on one location or character. I can't help but think that a big reason is budget and not paying for the entire cast for every episode.

Remember when Heath and Tara went on a supply run? I am pretty sure at some point there is going to be a heath and Tara supply run episode. Remember Heath? A new character from season 6 that had like 4 lines?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

Yeah I don't understand why this show can't balance the storylines so we see multiple plot lines in an episode. Most other shows can balance the story this way. Maybe once in awhile we pause and focus on one storyline and charter when their story hits a dramatic crescendo but on this show almost every episode is focused on one location or character. I can't help but think that a big reason is budget and not paying for the entire cast for every episode.

Remember when Heath and Tara went on a supply run? I am pretty sure at some point there is going to be a heath and Tara supply run episode. Remember Heath? A new character from season 6 that had like 4 lines?

I feel like Heath was them trying to stay close to the comics but having nothing for him to do. I'm kinda surprised he didn't appear more this episode, because with Glenn and Abraham gone Alexandria is lacking for main characters now.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich

bobjr posted:

I feel like Heath was them trying to stay close to the comics but having nothing for him to do. I'm kinda surprised he didn't appear more this episode, because with Glenn and Abraham gone Alexandria is lacking for main characters now.

Yeah too many characters introduced to stay faithful to comics but none of them get much development. I still feel like we don't know or get much for Aaron other then he is gay and was nice to maggie one time...

I believe Heath is still out there with Tara on the worlds longest supply run that they started in season 6.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

I believe Heath is still out there with Tara on the worlds longest supply run that they started in season 6

They ran into Gendry and hopped in his boat

The Remote Viewer
Jul 9, 2001
I don't know why this episode needed to be 90 minutes. I was expecting something to happen because of the ep length but it was pretty much just 90min of showing what a whipped dog Rick is.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

The Remote Viewer posted:

I don't know why this episode needed to be 90 minutes. I was expecting something to happen because of the ep length but it was pretty much just 90min of showing what a whipped dog Rick is.

Wow, I didn't even realise it was a longer episode. I figured it was just slow, they could have cut it back to 10 minutes and got the point they were trying to make across.

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

Remember Heath?
No.

Orange Red Bull posted:

They ran into Gendry and hopped in his boat

pfffHAHAhaha

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Remote Viewer posted:

Seriously in all the times Negan has pulled this poo poo, has NOBODY loving shot at him?

I mean sure his gang might freak out and burn the place down, but come one. Just one. I'd laughed my rear end off if Maggie blew his head off with a sniper rifle. poo poo, I'd laughed y head off if Rick just bashed his head in the second he was alone with him, unarmed.

Negan's so overconfident that it hits the point of absolute absurd comedy. The writers think it's clever that he's being a "whipped dog, show much he's broken" but in reality all those people in town that weren't there.. really? Really?

Hell what the gently caress would he have done if:

Gate guard: "Who are you?"
Negan: "Cocky grin - 'haha you want to know who I am? Why don't you ask your s--"
*Negan is shot in the motherfucking face by the gate guard*

Hell, would his band even hold together long enough to do more than shoot up the walls at that point?

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
I like how last season rick was catatonic for most of it and this season rick's been downgraded to bitch boy status

Also, this feels like the slowest season we've had and that's only going to be compounded by the crew moping around for the next, what, 3? months

Risky
May 18, 2003

Did Rick just not tell anyone in town what was going on when he got back? You'd think that would be big news?

They literally had a week to hide some guns and supplies and get everyone on board but people are like shocked to see Negan's crew show up to take their poo poo.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
lol was there only a page of live chat? Yeah just end this show it's dead and dumb. I watched the last tiny bit this morning at the hotel and the preview for the next episode had some random silhouette that I couldn't make out. I'm not sure if that was because the TV was bad or they just made it stupid dark in that scene

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Risky posted:

Did Rick just not tell anyone in town what was going on when he got back? You'd think that would be big news?

They literally had a week to hide some guns and supplies and get everyone on board but people are like shocked to see Negan's crew show up to take their poo poo.

Well they did say Negan was early, so that explains some of the surprise I think. Plus I think everyone including Rick pictured the "half your poo poo" stuff going down differently. They were much more "we're going to take whatever we want" with them than they were with the Kingdom people where it seemed more civil and they had set weeks for different types of poo poo. I guess Negan is being extra dickish about it just because of Rick.

Honestly I'm surprised confiscating all of their guns wasn't the very first thing Negan did after the skull bashing session. Follow them back and take their weapons, that way you don't have to worry about them finding some balls and ambushing you on your first pickup. It has been said to death that Negan and his gang aren't very "realistic", but even if we accept that he formed this huge powerful gang, he's being incredibly complacent and cocky and you would think somebody would have used that to their advantage by now.

e: also agreed that this episode was slow as poo poo. They could have easily shaved off 20 minutes and still gotten the point across. I wish they'd give us less scenes like Michonne in the beginning or the Rosita/Spencer thing and used that time to check in on other plot lines instead of this annoying one group per episode thing they're doing.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
I think Heath and Tara will return with the "something interesting" that Negan is demanding for his next visit.

I wonder what it's gonna be.

When an episode has a large Morse code poster in one of its first scenes, I feel compelled to try to translate all audio from the episode. Like Negan banging on the gate. I wonder if the crew slipped in some easter eggs.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
My favourite part of the episode was Rick telling Spencer that he could've killed that fat broad by hiding the guns lol

Like who cares? He didn't and I certainly didn't

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Kelly posted:

Negan is super corny. Are they modeling him after the comics? His sing-singing and genuflecting every time he says something cute, very corny.
At least someone is having fun for once in this loving show.

The Archaic posted:

Why don't they just pack up and leave? Burn the village down and head literally anywhere else. Anything is better than this poo poo.

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

Again, the big question is why not just run or fight? I mean Alexandria still has it's big steel walls and they had there huge arsenal. I know they are outnumbered but they could have blown away negan and a bunch of his dudes.... I just think the way they have done this slave to Negan plot is not that believable.

Blazing Ownager posted:

Seriously in all the times Negan has pulled this poo poo, has NOBODY loving shot at him?

I mean sure his gang might freak out and burn the place down, but come one. Just one. I'd laughed my rear end off if Maggie blew his head off with a sniper rifle. poo poo, I'd laughed y head off if Rick just bashed his head in the second he was alone with him, unarmed.

Negan's so overconfident that it hits the point of absolute absurd comedy. The writers think it's clever that he's being a "whipped dog, show much he's broken" but in reality all those people in town that weren't there.. really? Really?

Hell what the gently caress would he have done if:

Gate guard: "Who are you?"
Negan: "Cocky grin - 'haha you want to know who I am? Why don't you ask your s--"
*Negan is shot in the motherfucking face by the gate guard*

Hell, would his band even hold together long enough to do more than shoot up the walls at that point?

This. People talk about fascism but Generalissimo Franco wouldn't waltz into a Republican camp armed with a bat even if he had a million tanks pointed at a building with all their women and children because someone would loving kill him anyway.

Come on, they have several choices before them on that first day:
  • pack up all their stuff and weapons and leave right then and there
  • as soon as they got back to base start fortifying and prepare for a standoff, either overtly or covertly
  • IED Negan's van as soon as it stopped in front of the gate, they knew Negan was coming
  • wait for Negan to come inside the gate, kill everyone then either stand and fight whoever shows up or leave immediately after
  • comply but destroy all food and weapon registers before he gets there (duh!), hide a couple of sniper rifles and a few more guns, play meek and in 6 months kill him during one of his visits to the other towns
  • decide to become slaves, accept that from then on every other month they will murder or rape one of you just to grind you down (as shown by the mattresses)

Of all the things they could have done they jumped straight into slavery. And everybody was on board with this? No one just blew Negan's head off and drat the consequences?

e: bitch Rick is the worst Rick
e2: oh, and of course he was going to show up ahead of schedule :cmon:

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Nov 14, 2016

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
This whole thing is dumb as hell. The notion the writers are selling that they have no options, this is our life now is ridiculous when we've seen this group lose everything multiple times and move on. Not to mention the worst portrayal of a dictator I've ever seen. Real dictators don't walk around being smug as poo poo to their victims unless those victims are under armed guard. Real dictators get paranoid and worry about their inner circle more than anyone. Real dictators put big loving men between them and their subjects. Even under the threat of killing everyone, it only takes one time for Negan's act to piss someone off enough that they slice his loving throat. If I'm Negan I sure as hell don't show up to my new subjects land until after all weapons are taken.

None of it works. This is like if you tried to run a concentration camp where there are no permanent guards. In between scavenging, every moment would be devoted to planning an insurrection. You don't occupy a people by just showing up once a week. And the idea that this is how they stay alive; what happens the first time they have a bad week of scavenging and someone gets killed anyways? After a few get killed that way you might as well leave or just attack Negan. You can't tell me that his group would survive a leadership vacuum. This is an ultimate just so story, setup as a scenario by sadists who don't seem to know how people actually work. In other words, a comic writer.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
"We can't even have one gun here, it's too dangerous if they find out."

Uh what do you think is gonna happen when they find out Maggie is still alive?

God this is poor. You build tension by having skirmishes with a smart villain. Having the heroes be completely submissive and beaten is not an interesting angle.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Why wouldn't they just make a second fake list of guns and medicine and keep the important poo poo. Or just ditch the loving list entirely and just hide the good stuff immediately. Even if they don't intend to fight Neegan they live in a zombie wasteland and guns are useful.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Oh no where could they possibly find mattresses now?

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

moist turtleneck posted:

hahaha that's the same thought I had. Pretty sure mattresses are one item that hasn't been looted to death.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

moist turtleneck posted:

They will take them again, isn't not like they needed the mattresses, they just want them to sleep on the floor. That's how they live now.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
In a couple of months they're going to start taking women away and kick to death anyone who opposes because it's not like they even have weapons. That's how they live now.

e: I mean, that's literally what follows. They'll keep raising the tribute until they can't pay and then they'll have to pay with women. Anyone who opposes gets killed and that finally breaks any group solidarity between those that remain.

But hey...

e2: I'm the self-suficient teenage girl that had to be persuaded not to leave in the best of times but now I'm going to stick around and wait to be raped. Vote Rick!

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Nov 14, 2016

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
This was handled better in the comics. Mild spoilers from the comics that should be obvious given the Maggie's grave trick: Rick is planning to fight back. He acted like he was beat to make everyone in Alexandria think he was so nobody would give it away accidentally during Negan's visit. He explains that to all of them right after, because the Alexandrians were about to mutiny. But for some reason the show is putting that off. I guess so it can be a big twist later on in the season?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I could even see the original Alexandria residents going down like this but certainly not battle hardened people that had been out there. They'd just leave.

Guy Goodbody posted:

This was handled better in the comics. Mild spoilers from the comics that should be obvious given the Maggie's grave trick: Rick is planning to fight back. He acted like he was beat to make everyone in Alexandria think he was so nobody would give it away accidentally during Negan's visit. He explains that to all of them right after, because the Alexandrians were about to mutiny. But for some reason the show is putting that off. I guess so it can be a big twist later on in the season?
That doesn't invalidate the "keeping a fake record and secret stash of weapons" or "hide most of the medicine" or why none of those people that he didn't let in on the plan blast Negan away.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Nov 14, 2016

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

MeLKoR posted:

That doesn't invalidate the "keeping a fake record and secret stash of weapons" or "hide most of the medicine" or why none of those people that he didn't let in on the plan blast Negan away.

It's been awhile since I read the comics, but I'm pretty sure they did keep a secret stash. And Rick had a harder time keeping the Alexandrians under control.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Even if you haven't read the comics, it should be obvious from the fact taht they're hiding Maggie that Rick has a plan, and probably a secret stash of weapons wherever Maggie is.

It's just super dumb that they didn't reveal that at the end of this episode. Because this show is terrible, they're probably going to do a whole episode of "people are mad at Rick for rolling over for Negan, oh no what's gonna happen" and then reveal the secret plan at the end of that episode.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Guy Goodbody posted:

Even if you haven't read the comics, it should be obvious from the fact taht they're hiding Maggie that Rick has a plan, and probably a secret stash of weapons wherever Maggie is.

It's just super dumb that they didn't reveal that at the end of this episode. Because this show is terrible, they're probably going to do a whole episode of "people are mad at Rick for rolling over for Negan, oh no what's gonna happen" and then reveal the secret plan at the end of that episode.

That plan better involve an armored vehicle and air support otherwise they just blew their best shot. But yeah, it's a given they are going to play it your way so in 2 (3?) weeks we get bitching at Rick and then 3 weeks after that the finale.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
They'll ride the pigs from the kingdom and use spears made by the hilltop and use trebuchets filled with Apple sauce

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

The best part of this whole episode was watching Negan's face change when he heard Carl's gunshot. For the first time since we've seen him you get a little peek behind the mask.

JDM is great and Negan's cockiness is a nice change from normal but man is it constant. His scenes so far are him over and over again going "Ha ha Rick! I'm in charge! There's nothing you can do! Ha ha! I'm so goddamn crazy!" It's fun but there's no depth, and I feel like it's gonna get old quick if they keep dragging out these nothing episodes.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ProperCoochie posted:

I think Heath and Tara will return with the "something interesting" that Negan is demanding for his next visit.

I wonder what it's gonna be.

I bet Eugene reveals his ability to produce bullets to save someone's skull from being egged, probably Rosita given she's the one hiding guns.

Enderzero posted:

This whole thing is dumb as hell. The notion the writers are selling that they have no options, this is our life now is ridiculous when we've seen this group lose everything multiple times and move on. Not to mention the worst portrayal of a dictator I've ever seen. Real dictators don't walk around being smug as poo poo to their victims unless those victims are under armed guard. Real dictators get paranoid and worry about their inner circle more than anyone. Real dictators put big loving men between them and their subjects. Even under the threat of killing everyone, it only takes one time for Negan's act to piss someone off enough that they slice his loving throat. If I'm Negan I sure as hell don't show up to my new subjects land until after all weapons are taken.

None of it works. This is like if you tried to run a concentration camp where there are no permanent guards. In between scavenging, every moment would be devoted to planning an insurrection. You don't occupy a people by just showing up once a week. And the idea that this is how they stay alive; what happens the first time they have a bad week of scavenging and someone gets killed anyways? After a few get killed that way you might as well leave or just attack Negan. You can't tell me that his group would survive a leadership vacuum. This is an ultimate just so story, setup as a scenario by sadists who don't seem to know how people actually work. In other words, a comic writer.

The whole scene would have played immensely better if Steven Ogg's character had been in the Negan role this whole episode, but AMC wants their Negan saturation.

It'd solved so much. He could get away with being a smug poo poo to everyone because even if someone killed him, actual Negan would have murdered the poo poo out of the place without a doubt. That one change would have made at least this episode MUCH less dumb.

That said you're right. Who gives a poo poo if Michonne can't snipe? She had the right idea, you just need to get Maggie to do it, since she's shown that she already is OK with a scope.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Nov 14, 2016

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blazing Ownager posted:

I bet Eugene reveals his ability to produce bullets to save someone's skull from being egged, probably Rosita given she's the one hiding guns.

That remind me, why the hell was Eugene trying to fix a MP3 player? Just go to a Big Lots, there'll be hundreds of the drat things still in the box

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Guy Goodbody posted:

Last we saw Maggie was going to Hilltop, which means she is still at Hilltop. There is no way in hell with the time given that she would have had time to hide guns, other than maybe the handguns she & Sasha had.

Guy Goodbody posted:

I never read the comic (though I did read your spoiler). I can say the Maggie grave thing isn't a spoiler for sure because motherfucking Rick thanks the priest for doing that; which means it was clearly Glenn or Abraham's body in that grave with a changed headstone. I mean this was obvious to anyone watching that scene I'd hope.

That said, knowing AMC they thought it'd be more dramatic if he was actually broken, so they can try to bring in more drama when he changes his mind; and as soon as Morgan gets back to tell him about The Kingdom the numbers thing shifts and he goes for it. Again never read the comic, this is based on AMC conjecture.

MeLKoR posted:

In a couple of months they're going to start taking women away and kick to death anyone who opposes because it's not like they even have weapons. That's how they live now.

e: I mean, that's literally what follows. They'll keep raising the tribute until they can't pay and then they'll have to pay with women. Anyone who opposes gets killed and that finally breaks any group solidarity between those that remain.

Yep. Even the Mafia knows that when you're running an extortion racket, you want to make sure the person you're shaking down for money they owe you can actually earn it. If you gently caress them up too badly or completely shatter their hope and will, they're not going to make money for you anymore.

Taking a bunch of handguns and ALL of the meds basically insures Alexandria will start losing people, and when that happens, they'll stop producing as much. I have to wonder how the gently caress they'll justify The Kingdom at this point, given their place never got raided.

quote:

e2: I'm the self-suficient teenage girl that had to be persuaded not to leave in the best of times but now I'm going to stick around and wait to be raped. Vote Rick!

It's been alluded to on the show, but from what I understand in this thread (minor spoiler that's been already referenced a few times) Negan has a personality quirk about hating 'rape' despite mind-loving women into his harem, and has a zero-tolerance policy on no means no. I have a feeling that'll get more strongly re-enforced later and my knowledge is second hand from the thread, but I hope they stick with it as it's an interesting quirk.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Nov 14, 2016

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
The show is slowly reaching unwatchable territory.

This is basically the Governor re-imagined by another bad guy and his gang. I know it's episodic but this format is getting stale, I just don't care who lives and dies anymore.

Will they ever tackle trying to figure out the cause of the outbreak and how to fix it or it going to continually be people vs. zombies and people vs. people (our gang wins) and then it's our gang vs. new people.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
There was absolutely nothing that kept anyone in Alexandria from shooting Negan in the face the second he showed up. Inexcusable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Rick is going to go get the tank for Negan. That is something interesting.

Also, I am :mad: that people are criticizing the Negan character. That guy is doing a bang up loving job. Outstanding loving acting.

Dirk Pitt fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Nov 14, 2016