Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Majorian posted:

That's not exactly the argument that a lot of Bernie Bros made here during and after the primaries, though. It wasn't just that Clinton is more corrupt than Sanders; at times, it seemed to be that she was, personally, the single most corrupt, dishonest, Wall Street-friendly person to ever run for office. Which, I think we should be able to agree, is a little bit overboard. I say that as someone who supported Sanders in the primary myself, and argued at the time a lot of what you're saying here. You, personally, may not have made these hyperbolic arguments, and if you didn't, good for you - you were honest in your assessment. But a lot of Bernouts weren't, choosing to adopt the weird caricaturing of Hillary Clinton as something uniquely and peculiarly evil, and that's why their viewpoints got dismissed so reflexively here.

I also see this as honest: it had a lot to do with the fact that Clinton is a Clinton, and her political dynasty (which is associated with Third-Way moderation) had staffed the Democratic establishment with loyalists who seemed to have already made up their mind about this primary as a sort of resolution to the 2008 primary. When you're up against a firebrand outsider populist, this is not a good look.

The Bushes had of course done the exact same thing, but Jeb! was uniquely awful and so he fizzled out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Venom Snake posted:

A bunch of alt right crazies including O'keefe.

Sorry, I meant "who is she" in this case.

Marie Furie
Nov 11, 2016

logikv9 posted:

even Howard Dean's argument for being DNC chair over Keith Ellison isn't a battle over ideology, it's literally just "it's a full time job and you are a current sitting house rep" which isn't wrong

yeah, this is my one qualm with Ellison

anyone know anything about Ray Buckley? he's the current chair of the New Hampshire Dems, who managed to gain 15 house seats and a senate seat on Tuesday, which makes me think he's worth considering

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
how useful of a site is this? http://my.democrats.org/page/s/help-elect-democrats

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Venom Snake posted:

Does anyone know why she was at that insane alt-right conference down in Florida?

Looking to jump ship maybe :tinfoil:

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!

Venom Snake posted:

Does anyone know why she was at that insane alt-right conference down in Florida?

Because she's Donna Brazile, establishment knee bender.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

GlyphGryph posted:

This isn't a defense of shutting down discussion by blaming concerns on sexism.

No, but by the same token, there's nothing unfair about calling out the sexist roots of how Hillary Clinton has been caricatured over the past thirty years, both by the right and the left. One can call her a bad candidate without engaging in the Clinton Derangement Syndrome that we saw from Bernouts here.

quote:

And replaced with someone who supported everything she did, no?

Did she? Donna Brazille's an idiot, and was the wrong person to replace DWS with, but I don't see any reason to believe that she fully supported everything DWS did.

quote:

You're attempting to minimize completely legitimate concerns expressed by the people who were explicitly targeted, on the grounds that "everyone is doing it", "other people did it worse", and "they're too emotional and hyperbolic in their argument that it was bad". If you're critiquing "tenor" in an attempt to shut down anger and disregard valid complaints, yeah, no, that's not a valid criticism, it's just an attempt to deflect.

It's an entirely valid criticism. Your argument failed to persuade, because it came off as the ramblings of an out-of-touch conspiracy theorist who had a weirdly inflated view of how evil the first female major party nominee is.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

loquacius posted:

The Bushes had of course done the exact same thing, but Jeb! was uniquely awful and so he fizzled out

a glimmer of solace in this

clinton at least gave trump a run for his money

people clapped of their own accord

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

With the exception of Donna's two short, interim leader stints, we haven't had someone who was also not serving as an elected official at the same time as being DNC chair since Dean (Kaine was wrapping up his time as governor before becoming chair. There was a year overlap).

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
howard dean will make the dean scream mandatory at all democratic events

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

logikv9 posted:

y'all lusting for blood (which is understandable) but it's silly because all your supposed enemies literally bent the knee without you having to do anything. barring an act of god or keith ellison having a secret human trafficking operation in his basement, the progressives are going to own the DNC from the top down

this is the worst civil war i've ever seen. D+

I dunno man, betting markets seem to think it's on like Donkey Kong

I would lol at this but I've been molested by so many monkey paws this year I don't even know.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

in britain, they awkwardly mouth the red flag

in america, they awkwardly mouth the yeeeargh

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I can't argue with Dean's results in '06 and '08 but we can't rely on 2 unpopular wars helping advance a progressive agenda in 2 or 4 years from now. At least, I hope that's not the reason progressives get a shot at winning.

Also, a good bit of the DNC chair's job is to make sure incumbents raise all the money, right? It's not a great position for anyone to be in...

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

loquacius posted:

I also see this as honest: it had a lot to do with the fact that Clinton is a Clinton, and her political dynasty (which is associated with Third-Way moderation) had staffed the Democratic establishment with loyalists who seemed to have already made up their mind about this primary as a sort of resolution to the 2008 primary. When you're up against a firebrand outsider populist, this is not a good look.

It's not, but bear in mind, more people felt Clinton was speaking for them than Sanders. Part of that is because Clinton had way more name recognition, but another part of it is that the Democratic base is a big, diverse coalition, and some of the major factions in that coalition felt that Sanders wasn't speaking for them adequately. You're right that Clinton was also Obama's heir-presumptive for years, and the DNC had a stake in her getting the nomination, but one can't simply reduce her winning the nomination to DNC corruption or whatever. In the end, more Democrats voted for her than for Sanders. There's a lesson in that: if left-wing economic populists want to take control of the DNC, and drive out enough votes to win in 2020 (and possibly 2018), they're going to have to do a better job of speaking to all the factions in the Dems' big tent.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

mrmcd posted:

I would lol at this but I've been molested by so many monkey paws this year I don't even know.

don't make me whip out predictit from the michigan primaries or from election day

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Jesus christ if even a third of this is true then lmao at anyone who decided to support and/or vote for this person

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

reignonyourparade posted:

Yeah in fairness it's really more of a Palace Coup than a civil war. We were just... really EXPECTING there to be any resistance whatsoever you know?

I'd wait a few months before claiming victory there. A lot of connected people are licking their wounds right now and/or symbolically jumping on the bandwagon with the hope stuff dies down shortly.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

logikv9 posted:

don't make me whip out predictit from the michigan primaries or from election day

Setting money on fire is my fetish. Don't kinkshame.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
howard dean huh

well since the dnc is ruled from hollywood it makes sense that theyre both really scared of trying now new intellectual property

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

it's possible that in a keith ellisson dnc, he'll just have senior advisors that take some of the work so he can do his congress job.

or a co-chair model which i'm kind of warming up to

or his big announcement today is that he's gonna resign to run the dnc full time To Save America

mrmcd posted:

donna brazile is going to resign in month, the betting markets have no idea how the election works probably

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

iospace posted:

Sorry, I meant "who is she" in this case.

Donna!

Kithkar posted:

Because she's Donna Brazile, establishment knee bender.

But bending the knee to loving O'keefe?

mrmcd posted:

A betting market for an internal party conflict is the dumbest thing

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Majorian posted:

It's not, but bear in mind, more people felt Clinton was speaking for them than Sanders. Part of that is because Clinton had way more name recognition, but another part of it is that the Democratic base is a big, diverse coalition, and some of the major factions in that coalition felt that Sanders wasn't speaking for them adequately. You're right that Clinton was also Obama's heir-presumptive for years, and the DNC had a stake in her getting the nomination, but one can't simply reduce her winning the nomination to DNC corruption or whatever. In the end, more Democrats voted for her than for Sanders. There's a lesson in that: if left-wing economic populists want to take control of the DNC, and drive out enough votes to win in 2020 (and possibly 2018), they're going to have to do a better job of speaking to all the factions in the Dems' big tent.

sanders himself knows this and worked on his minority vote problems during the primary, but it wasn't feasible to turn something like that around in time

the biggest reason he lost is large and obvious and not immediately reducible to election fixing, but it's also one sanderistas can identify and tackle and have done in the past

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Tim Kaine fun fact: He has never won an election by more than 1%

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Majorian posted:

The thing Democrats have to overcome is the GOP multi-pronged spear into the heart of the Democratic coalition:

Crush Unions - make sure young people can't rely on Unions for work so that the influence of union/teamster leadership doesn't get passed to the next generation (obviously there are other motivations)
Continue to divide people with livable wages and people without - Keep offering tax cuts to rich people and middle class workers while shaking down people without a voice
Suppress the vote - We've already seen the result of that

So the idea of the Democratic party as the new Big Tent party is being upended by the general GOP strategy as they weed out voters from the "tent".

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Peel posted:

a glimmer of solace in this

clinton at least gave trump a run for his money

people clapped of their own accord

Jeb failed immediately, despite the fact that he was basically indistinguishable from HRC and a dude. Maybe Trump really was a better campaigner than Sanders.

Majorian posted:

An interesting inversion of my main thesis, but not ultimately contradictory with it. We can say that the DNC has to appeal more to the rural working class AND that the demsoc wing has to appeal more to the coastal liberal slash minority blocs. I'm okay with that.

Marie Furie
Nov 11, 2016

Venom Snake posted:

Tim Kaine fun fact: He has never won an election by more than 1%

having a great time with this fact, wish you were all here

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WINDtlPXmmE

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Peel posted:

sanders himself knows this and worked on his minority vote problems during the primary, but it wasn't feasible to turn something like that around in time

the biggest reason he lost is large and obvious and not immediately reducible to election fixing, but it's also one sanderistas can identify and tackle and have done in the past

:agreed: And the fact that Sanders got so little credit for working on his minority vote problems from either the media or the Hillfolk here is one of the things that still pisses me off about the primary, so many lifetimes ago.

loquacius posted:

An interesting inversion of my main thesis, but not ultimately contradictory with it. We can say that the DNC has to appeal more to the rural working class AND that the demsoc wing has to appeal more to the coastal liberal slash minority blocs. I'm okay with that.

Awesome. Yeah, the Dems need to keep in mind that they are, in fact, a coalition, first and foremost. All cylinders need to be firing for this to work. Clearly, the one that was firing the least this time around was the white working class vote/demsoc wing. But my point, as I think you understand, is that we can't tend to this one load-bearing pillar to the exclusion of the others, because the roof will still come down on us that way too.

Majorian has issued a correction as of 19:50 on Nov 14, 2016

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Peel posted:

Slimy poo poo like trying to say he lied about attending civil rights protests didn't help.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

loquacius posted:

The good news (okay "good news" for the progressive wing) is that I'm getting the impression that a lot of the dumb center-left wing has decided that their solution to losing 2016 is to appeal to white people by throwing minorities under the bus

In which case the progressive wing is probably pretty set to take the reins because this is probably the dumbest lesson you could actually learn

Even dumber than "if it wasn't for our bad luck and a hostile news media we would have won so nothing needs to change."

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
reminder this is not the time, place, or forum to air primary grievances

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

sanders also kind of had to throw his whole thing together from protest candidate who literally announced it in a random field in washington dc in front of a group of reporters and onlookers to the voice of american progressives and the left

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOIirPta4h4

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

MJ12 posted:

The good news (okay "good news" for the progressive wing) is that I'm getting the impression that a lot of the dumb center-left wing has decided that their solution to losing 2016 is to appeal to white people by throwing minorities under the bus

In which case the progressive wing is probably pretty set to take the reins because this is probably the dumbest lesson you could actually learn

Even dumber than "if it wasn't for our bad luck and a hostile news media we would have won so nothing needs to change."

My general impression from the election fallout is that politically involved black people people are convinced they are going to have to save our dumb white asses, again, and I don't disagree. I think we've proved we don't know anything about anything.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Majorian posted:

Awesome. Yeah, the Dems need to keep in mind that they are, in fact, a coalition, first and foremost. All cylinders need to be firing for this to work.

Cylinders firing to what end? Increasing the social welfare of all citizens, or appealing to corporate interests well enough to secure more funds than your opponent?

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
"Poor whites are all stupid" just lost you the election, yet here you are.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

ur in my world now posted:

"Poor whites are all stupid" just lost you the election, yet here you are.

tadashi's post sounded to me more like "establishment dems (who are mostly white) don't know anything about anything so it's up to black politicians (who are generally not establishment dems) to save our asses by actually knowing what the gently caress they're doing" versus "poor whites are all stupid."

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I don't understand how you can lose with guys like this by your side.

I legit hope their books get opened though. We need the Mitt Romney truth.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Mr. Jive posted:

Cylinders firing to what end? Increasing the social welfare of all citizens, or appealing to corporate interests well enough to secure more funds than your opponent?

Winning control of all three branches of government, hopefully with the aim of increasing the social welfare of all citizens. (but right now I'm focusing on how to win)

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

MJ12 posted:

tadashi's post sounded to me more like "establishment dems (who are mostly white) don't know anything about anything so it's up to black politicians (who are generally not establishment dems) to save our asses by actually knowing what the gently caress they're doing" versus "poor whites are all stupid."

If that was the point, nothing more than "establishment" had to be said. Because it sounded way closer to the second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Thoguh posted:

I'd wait a few months before claiming victory there. A lot of connected people are licking their wounds right now and/or symbolically jumping on the bandwagon with the hope stuff dies down shortly.

Yeah the problem isnt getting them to bend the knee, its preventing them from weaseling their way back to the top as soon as eyes are off them.

And Ellison as DNC chair is hardly a magic bullet, its just potentially an okay first step.

Theres lots more barriers to dem success than dnc chair

I think the criticism of him based on dem house members having actual work to do is pretty funny considering the circumstances. What is it he would be doing?

GlyphGryph has issued a correction as of 20:09 on Nov 14, 2016

• Locked thread