Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

have you considered just taking or auditing some compiler classes instead of going whole hog on a degree just to learn about a small part that interests you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
also this is a wonderful place to observe Conway's law

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

PokeJoe posted:

have you considered just taking or auditing some compiler classes instead of going whole hog on a degree just to learn about a small part that interests you?

yeah, I think that's really the answer.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

you already know the basics and you'll be in classes with people who can't fizzbuzz. just study what interests you imo

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

when the software you write serves a business purpose, you're just complicating it by making it open source. now you have to think about how one or two random people in Russia might be using your software. and you have to have a steering and a guidance committee. everything here is abstract enterprise entity consumer producer and it's written to be usable by external users even though absolutely no one outside of red hat will ever use it.

the worst part of this is that just about every individual who submits a PR expects their thing to get merged no matter what and doesn't care about breaking changes or other customers who use the product

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

yeah, I should have emphasized that my main goal in going back to school would be to pursue a masters. It's just that I need to complete an undergrad to do that. And that seems like a big old waste of time.

some schools, if they like you enough (and especially for returning/nontraditional students), will let you do a fast-track BS as part of your MS work, like an extra year or two of mid- and upper-level undergrad classes only

basically if they think your MS work will be an asset to the school then they'll do what they can to help you do it

it also helps a ton if you can afford to just cut a check to pay tuition, rather than use student aid etc. it's not supposed to be considered in things like admissions and designing your degree and poo poo and it entirely is

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Progressive JPEG posted:

in my experience once youve got ~1-2 years experience the subject on the degree really, really doesnt matter

and once you're 10-20 years in it really won't matter

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

eschaton posted:

and once you're 10-20 years in it really won't matter

I'm currently working at a place that does a bunch of government contracts (:rip: my soul). one of the determining factors for success are the number of PhD's listed as working on the project. to the point that we have one person who stopped working on it but has been writing 'PhD abd' next to his name for about a decade because it affects whether his proposals will go through.

naturally, some of the people with a PhD are way less competent than some of our juniors fresh out of undergrad. some are alternatively unbelievably intelligent. :shrug:

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
terrible programmer status:

(using VBO instancing)

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

gonadic io posted:

terrible programmer status:

(using VBO instancing)

ooh, regedit

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
lol i just found out my hobby project's server has been running with the equivalent of the Turbo button turned off. And that thing actually has a decent number of users

the server is an HP rackmount server w/ a couple Xeons in it. i'd set up a power limiter in the bios settings because i'm colo'ing it in a place that's fairly anal about amp caps.

well it turns out this basically throttled all the CPUs down to basically the absolute minimum so the performance was more or less raspberry pi tier

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
hey terrible programmers 👋

is there a webapp i can install on a computer to give me a remotely accessible ide? liek vs code but from another cumputer?

i dont want to have dev tools on my other computers and i don't want to use terminal programs or remote desktop. all i want is to open chome and code

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

is there a webapp i can install on a computer to give me a remotely accessible ide? liek vs code but from another cumputer?

i dont want to have dev tools on my other computers and i don't want to use terminal programs or remote desktop. all i want is to open chome and code

just install sshd and use veye or whatever the cool kids are doing these days :shrug:

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

leper khan posted:

just install sshd and use veye or whatever the cool kids are doing these days :shrug:

:barf:

i need a gui with icons and resizable poo poo and tabs and links and dragging and dropping and selecting and copying and image viewing and and and...

gently caress using a text only "ide" with poo poo imitation of a real gui (vim tabs LOL)

Su-Su-Sudoko
Oct 25, 2007

what stands in the way becomes the way

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

:barf:

i need a gui with icons and resizable poo poo and tabs and links and dragging and dropping and selecting and copying and image viewing and and and...

gently caress using a text only "ide" with poo poo imitation of a real gui (vim tabs LOL)

then use sshfs or something?

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Su-Su-Sudoko posted:

then use sshfs or something?

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
do you want to be told to go gently caress yourself or what

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

anthonypants posted:

do you want to be told to go gently caress yourself or what

i thought the question was clear?

anyway i found that you can self host cloud9. i hope it doesn't suck.

peace ✌️

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

i thought the question was clear?

yes, it was "hey guys how do I do dumb thing? ps I know i could just do sensible thing like everyone else but I don't wanna"

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
hmm
getErrors(Parameters params) {

pretty basic lovely code, creating a database query by appending to a StringBuilder. yawn.

but what is that Parameters class?

well, it's a pod class that apparently "encaptulates" every parameter that any kind of query in the program uses. it has over 70 fields. every field is a String.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Soricidus posted:

yes, it was "hey guys how do I do dumb thing? ps I know i could just do sensible thing like everyone else but I don't wanna"

sorry that a webapp ide accessible from anywhere and any device is dumb to you i guess

ps: dont go to docs.google.com i hear that they provide a whole office suite as a webapp

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

use remote desktop

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

sorry that a webapp ide accessible from anywhere and any device is dumb to you i guess

ps: dont go to docs.google.com i hear that they provide a whole office suite as a webapp

yeah they provide a really lovely office suite as a webapp

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

Shaggar posted:

use remote desktop

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
we use xenapp at work. It's a living nightmare.

Edit: thinking about it I think the arm of our IT department that administers stuff like that does not have their poo poo together at all as far as I can tell, so maybe it's something they are doing.

Fergus Mac Roich fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Nov 14, 2016

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

you should probably aspire to more than google docs Jesus Christ

imagine having to use google docs for six hours a day

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Shaggar posted:

yeah they provide a really lovely office suite as a webapp

It's actually pretty decent. I prefer it than using libreoffice

edit: but then again I dont use office apps all that much

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Phobeste posted:

I work for a fortune 500 company that sells real things to make real money and they decided to use google docs as the company wide office suite.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

ThePeavstenator posted:

I work for a fortune 500 company that sells real things to make real money and they decided to use google docs as the company wide office suite.

mine, which isn't Fortune 500 but does sell real objects, buys it but I think everybody who actually has to use a word processor or spreadsheet on a regular basis still uses office and emails files around lol

gdocs is useful for things where you want a convenient way to share them, you want to collaborate on them, and you don't give a poo poo about formatting or ease of use. gdocs is the whiteboard with DO NOT ERASE written in the corner. actual things that matter use software that can handle it

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

gdocs is horrible. webapps are all horrible.

Bognar
Aug 4, 2011

I am the queen of France
Hot Rope Guy
google docs is fine for word documents and maybe slides. spreadsheets of mild complexity in google docs run worse than excel in 1999

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
My use for "office" stuff is simple spreadsheets (QA lists, simple budgets, stuff like that) and occasionally a doc

Ive been using google docs for this kind of poo poo for years and it works pretty well, is accessible from any machine, and is easy to share with people

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Phobeste posted:

lmao if you code six hours a day

I've gotten about 2 solid hours of coding done today, probably gonna coast the rest of the day. I might scaffold my MVC views, though. iono

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

i just spent this whole morning doing what should probably be like 15 minutes of work, but i hurt my shoulder so i did it all left-hand ony

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

I'm taking screenshots for documentation today :smith:

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

I'm taking screenshots for documentation today :smith:

alt+prtsc is your frieond

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Elias_Maluco posted:

My use for "office" stuff is simple spreadsheets (QA lists, simple budgets, stuff like that) and occasionally a doc

Ive been using google docs for this kind of poo poo for years and it works pretty well, is accessible from any machine, and is easy to share with people

yes, this is the kind of thing web apps are acceptably good at: trivial use cases, tiny documents, no other easy way to share things

note that the above is a list of things that do not apply to ides, where you are dealing with complex data, lots of it, requiring analysis that is often both cpu and memory intensive, and the sharing/multi-point access problem is already solved in a better way by any dvcs. in such cases web apps typically cause more problems than they solve.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Soricidus posted:

web apps typically cause more problems than they solve.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
We just code in a shared Google doc text file. It's going because we don't need to worry about our internal module structure, lowering the barrier to dev or its syntax, lowering the learning curve for new devs

:v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
i want to make a "worksafe" version of cloud-to-butt that changes "the cloud" to "a server or servers somewhere"

• Locked thread