Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Something actually related to real military matters: last weekend I read the book Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk, which I thought was pretty good. It made me a bit depressed for a few days because it really reminded me of just how deeply lovely the early 2000's were, but luckily the election happened and gave me a whole new thing to be depressed about.

This weekend, the movie version came out to mixed reviews. Now the story is about a squad of soldiers in Iraq who engage in a firefight that gets caught on news cameras who then become American heroes and are sent home for a PR tour. The whole narrative takes place over one Thanksgiving day football game at the end of this PR tour, with lots of flashbacks filling in the life and service career of its soldier main character.

What upsets me about the movie version is that it's full of the same old poo poo that plagues almost every war movie: actors in their 30's and even late 40's playing characters who were meant to be in their late teens or early 20's. If I'm remembering right, the oldest of the soldiers in the main character's unit was 23. The youngest actor is the one playing the main character, who is supposed to be 19, and he's 25.

This one of the few reasons why I like that slightly cheese seventies remake of All Quiet On The Western Front. The actors are young or young looking enough to make you believe they just rolled out of education into the horrors of war.

Ataxerxes posted:

Just finished reading Neptune's Inferno and the whole Guadalcanal naval campaign was just :captainpop: Like one unending knife fight in a phone booth.

This is a really good way to describe something like that, hats off to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

SeanBeansShako posted:

This one of the few reasons why I like that slightly cheese seventies remake of All Quiet On The Western Front. The actors are young or young looking enough to make you believe they just rolled out of education into the horrors of war.

This reminds that October 2017 will see the premier of the third filmatization of Väinö Linna's The Unknown Soldier (previous versions came in 1954 and 1985). Is that a record?? I'm already twitching because among other things they have added a chapter which doesn't exist in the novel where one sergeant's wife (only briefly mentioned in the novel) is played by one of the biggest pop stars in this country. Also one private is played by a Finnish teen pop star - though I take solace in that he gets snyped on his first guard duty*. Also one of the main cast is portrayed by Finland's Adam Sandler. The casting decisions are so blatant it makes me gag. Which I hate because chances are it'll be an okay film anyway, but I'll need to watch it piss drunk to ignore who the actors are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKWQyszDzbU

*[SPOILER ALERT!!!]

Biffmotron
Jan 12, 2007

Polyakov posted:

I think Macnamara was the major instigator of change, the Army had allways tried to draw efficient practice from the general business wisdom of the time because on the face of it it makes good sense, managing an army is a bureaucratic and supply problem. When Macnamara came to office he came from a background of being a businessman and the department of Statistics of the USAAF in the second world war, he was good at both of these things and in his initial service in the USAAF really helped to get logistics straightened out for all the relevant areas of the air force, and tried to enforce professional management and business practices on the Pentagon and American military in general, in the sense of he saw inefficiency and thoughgt that the business approach was the way to resolve it.

This sort of got the whole ball rolling on the grounds of professional management and business practices in a major way, and to be fair to him his initial changes were pretty positive in terms of stopping duplication of effort and making the military more efficient. However it was now sort oof instuitutionally accepted that it was the right course of action.

The real bugger with the whole problem comes when you have people who dont really understand what a system is for and whats its strengths are. Lean and six sigma were both incredibly popular in the 90's and early 2000's and literally everybody was attempting to implement it without a care of what the technique was used for and what it was good at, and this rubbed off on the US army. The west in general started to really pay attention to Japanese management practices (where this all came from) after the Japanese car industry beat the stuffing out of the American car industry in the late 70's and early 80's. The problem that i allude to with lean techniques and six sigma techniques is that the entire concept behind a lot of it is eliminating variance in whatever system you are applying it to so that you allways have the system running perfectly, neither technique works well when you have unexpected shocks to the system as the slack in the system has been intentionally removed which would otherwise absorb it (hence the name lean), that slack creates inefficiency but it does mean that the system can keep running. Military logistics is a really bad area to add this to because if there is one thing that should have been learned by now its that nobody really knows how aa war will be fought until they are fighting it, nobody ever gets munitions and spare parts expenditure prediction right and deviations from the predictions create shocks to the system which can cause the entire thing to break down.

A large problem is also that it especially doesnt work that well when you dont have trained people implementing it properly, largely speaking army promotion hierachies are not based on how suited someone is for management, it tends to be based on arbitrary criteria, so you end up with people who are trying to set up these systems who arent interested in the theory of why something works, they know that it does and that it gets them points so they blindly implement it, this leads to an ungodly mess that is implemented poorly. If they try to have civillian consultants fix it it costs a lot of money and they wont tend to get it right either because management structures in the armed forces and the demands on it are quite unlike a lot of things in the civillian world, plus because its governmental budgetting they wont employ the truly talented people who can make the appropriate leaps and make such a system work properly.

The specific technique of Lean Six Sigma that you are talking about really started to emerge in 2001 or so when Mike Carnell published, "leaning into six sigma" which combined the ideas of lean production and the idea of six sigma control, from what i saw the Army tried to start implementing it in 2006, but probably tried to do smaller programs befgore their big LSS roll out.

(I really hate people misusing techniques, you need to understand why it works you imbeciles :argh:).

Exactly this. If you're really interested in the history, I highly recommend Alain Enthoven's How Much is Enough: Shaping the Defense Program 1961-1969 (warning: big pdf). Enthoven was one of the Office of Systems Analysis PhD civilians brought in to manage the utter clusterfuck that was atomic age R&D, so he has his biases, but he paints a good picture of how wasteful and nonstrategic procurement was, and how hard it was to get it into some kind of order.

Bigger picture, I'd also say that Cold War, where absolute readiness and technological superiority were the strategic objectives, and measuring those things nearly impossible, created the kind of "audit of the non-existent" that describes applying Lean Six Sigma to military operations. Well, that and the post-Cold War drawdown where officers had to be really serious about demonstrating efficiency and cost-cutting. As for why it doesn't work with the promotion system, I'll leave that to one of the poor bastards who has to live inside of it.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Did we talk about Hacksaw Ridge? I liked the movie, but the battle scenes are some well-filmed Call of Duty bullshit. Also, Japanese soldiers only ever get shot in threes.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

JcDent posted:

Did we talk about Hacksaw Ridge? I liked the movie, but the battle scenes are some well-filmed Call of Duty bullshit. Also, Japanese soldiers only ever get shot in threes.

I haven't seen the movie, but when I was out to watch Doctor Strange a bunch of people from that guy's religious denomination were handing out free copies of his abridged biography. Actual books, maybe 100 pages bound about like you would expect for the cheaper end of college readers.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Since I know we have some military hardware spergs( God bless every one of you!):

I'm wargaming a battle of the Korean war as a Chinese tank commander, and American GIs are having a lot of luck taking out my T34s. The thing is, they camouflage and then destroy the tank with a side or rear hit from M9A1 rifle grenades at ranges up to 150m! I'm not going to pitch a fit over it, but it seems reaching. OTOH, the T-34 is world war 2 tech, perhaps the rifle grenades are just that bit more advanced for the job at hand.

I mean, one tank, sure, but it's three and counting - Does this seem in line with US. Army training and equipment anno the Korean war?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

What game is that?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Nenonen posted:

What game is that?

That wonderful grog masterpiece, Main Battle Tank by shrapnel games.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Oh, Steel Panthers you mean. Sounds like bad luck. In theory M9A1 can penetrate T-34's hull but it would have to hit at right angle. I don't recall rifle grenades ever doing anything in SP.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Nenonen posted:

Oh, Steel Panthers you mean. Sounds like bad luck. In theory M9A1 can penetrate T-34's hull but it would have to hit at right angle. I don't recall rifle grenades ever doing anything in SP.

They're decent for buttoning lighter APCs and keeping the hurt on already stressed infantry squads, but that's about it, yeah. Thanks!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I love how shrapnel games go on sales an only knock off like 5 bucks off their super old games.

Tias
May 25, 2008

JcDent posted:

I love how shrapnel games go on sales an only knock off like 5 bucks off their super old games.

I only play the freebies, but honest to God, they've given me hundreds of hours of fun through the years.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

JcDent posted:

Where we are with All American: The 82nd Airbone in Normandy.
Remaining: ♦ Rework of multiplayer to allow compatibility with Vista.
♦ Voices are being re-recorded after changes to scripts.
♦ Re-evaluating art for maps.
♦ Changing 3 missions.
Beta: No projection
Release: Projected for 2009

Last update: August 2008.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Tias posted:

I only play the freebies, but honest to God, they've given me hundreds of hours of fun through the years.

Well, that's true. I once asked them for a review version of winSPMBT. By the time they wrote me back, I had managed to review the game based on the freebie.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

SeanBeansShako posted:

This is a really good way to describe something like that, hats off to you.

Thanks. Some writer used the expression in Finnish (puukkotappelu puhelinkopissa) in a book, can't remember the name anymore but it's such an apt comparision to some battles and situations.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

The spirit of German kitbashing lives with... whatever this is.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well it looks like someone tried to mate an imperial guard basilisk with a space marine rhino.

Or possibly someone tried to mount an 88mm flak gun on top of an M113 and it got a bit squashed.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

OwlFancier posted:

Or possibly someone tried to mount an 88mm flak gun on top of an M113 and it got a bit squashed.

It's the M113 FlakGavin.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Tias posted:

Since I know we have some military hardware spergs( God bless every one of you!):

I'm wargaming a battle of the Korean war as a Chinese tank commander, and American GIs are having a lot of luck taking out my T34s. The thing is, they camouflage and then destroy the tank with a side or rear hit from M9A1 rifle grenades at ranges up to 150m! I'm not going to pitch a fit over it, but it seems reaching. OTOH, the T-34 is world war 2 tech, perhaps the rifle grenades are just that bit more advanced for the job at hand.

I mean, one tank, sure, but it's three and counting - Does this seem in line with US. Army training and equipment anno the Korean war?

They are HEAT grenades, so they could penetrate. I'd imagine that inexperienced crews would bail out if that happened.

On the other hand, wikipedia lists the M9A1 rifle grenade as having 100mm of penetration, whereas another lists 50mm :shrug: 50mm doesn't penetrate every part of a T-34, but would penetrate most areas of the tank. My book on US Explosives doesn't list the penetrative capability of the M9A1.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
WW2 Data

The first of two(?) updates for the French is upon us! Take a look at the somewhat limited arsenal on display. Just how many bombs were converted from artillery shells? What color coding system did the French use? All that and more at the blog!

101 posts! :toot:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

JcDent posted:

The spirit of German kitbashing lives with... whatever this is.
:pwn:

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Tias posted:

All of the Steel Panthers rebuilds (SP: World At War (Matrix), SPMBT/SPWW2 (Shrapnel)) have sometimes-odd results like this at times, based on my experience. ("Sure, that one Soviet sniper that wasn't spotted or suppressed will assault that Panther going through his hex... and destroy it. And do the same to two other tracks that followed yeah gently caress you game, gently caress you.")(Happened in multiple games, too. SPWW2 :argh:)

Or the SPWAW Barbarossa campaign I tried, where lucky 60mm mortar hits would make a top-turret hit on my PzIIIs and kill 'em dead. :catstare:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

SeanBeansShako posted:

I actually really like that adaptation.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
If you were confused about the use of corporate leadership programs in the higher echelons of the DoD, today I saw an infantry bn explain to a two star how they're using Starcraft to practice small unit leadership and decision making.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I actually really like that adaptation.

Some people hate it though IMO the only cringe enducing bit is the slightly over the top reaction to the horses going mad. Director should have told that actor to tone it the gently caress down man.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

FastestGunAlive posted:

If you were confused about the use of corporate leadership programs in the higher echelons of the DoD, today I saw an infantry bn explain to a two star how they're using Starcraft to practice small unit leadership and decision making.

There was an internal-only game 10 years ago that I think used the same or a similar RTS engine, with scripted "launch your EW aircraft, then deploy x to y to do z" stuff. Joint Force Employment maybe? I found a CD of it and it was OK for killing time underway, but eh, I've played better.

I mean 'internal-only' like, not that there was anything classified, just that it would not have been worth marketing.

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Nov 14, 2016

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
So how often did people's legs get shattered after an errant step too near a WWI artillery piece?

https://zippy.gfycat.com/RaggedCompleteAcornweevil.webm

https://zippy.gfycat.com/TerrificHatefulAmazonparrot.webm

https://zippy.gfycat.com/ThirdFavoriteKouprey.webm

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4sKSaEG4bg

They try to get that stuff ironed out in training.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4sKSaEG4bg

They try to get that stuff ironed out in training.

So it's a gun that fires the instant you chamber a round? Why on earth would you want that?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

PittTheElder posted:

So it's a gun that fires the instant you chamber a round? Why on earth would you want that?

Dakka.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

PittTheElder posted:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Lol yeah but this is open bolt artillery.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

FAUXTON posted:

Lol yeah but this is open bolt artillery.

As far as I'm aware, doing it that way is simply a means to throw more rounds at a target, and do it faster than having to manually trigger it. A.K.A. More dakka.

You're also not meant to stand right behind it, obviously.

Edit: Also only works if you are using fixed ammunition.

Tias
May 25, 2008

I saw a video of a dude at some parade get tagged by his cannon, and flew out of the picture. I can't imagine he survived it, the poor guy :(

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Seen that video before, the thing I notice now is that the guys on either side just stay standing at attention then casually turn inwards.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

let gustavus hit the floor
let gustavus hit the
flooooor

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

JcDent posted:

let gustavus hit the
flooooor

saw this just as I was listening to my 1632 audiobook. lol

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

What's the gizmo the dude is holding on top of the breech there?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

aphid_licker posted:

Probably a thing that measures elevation so they know they're firing at the correct angle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

razak
Apr 13, 2016

Ready for graphing

aphid_licker posted:

That is a Gunners quadrant. Used to measure the elevation.