Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Piloting check for the Diamondback to do a sick jump off the dune in front of it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Let's let the players play the invincible Demon Hawks next? :)

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Tarezax posted:

Piloting check for the Diamondback to do a sick jump off the dune in front of it?

I support sick jumps for all present. Especially the Devil's Due.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

vorebane posted:

I support sick jumps for all present. Especially the Devil's Due.

Boat jumps.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Tarezax posted:

Witness!

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Have Scarback rear up beneath the battlefield, knocking everyone forward and messing up both sides' formation.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012
Mardison II
One more shot like that and this is winnable.

Orders in.
moving forward 5 and unloading into old scratch, and next turn the SRMs are on 9s.
Ablative, let's do this. And we'll see the rest of you next mission.

And I just notice that the bulldog's MG has incendiary ammo, never fired.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Oh the guys we had just enough lead on, but very marginally better speed than us have now caught up. Can we get their Desert Hog in one pass so that we can just go a mind numbingly slow 4 hexes a turn?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
What?

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

I'm making things up because I want Diggy back in this. But I'll stop theorycrafting on how to save this!

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
Dunno if my orders will matter, the Bulldog will try and move to 0811(fire orders are repeated) so it can try and use drifting to catch up instead of running into the hills two more times: seems a bit more dangerous than I'd liked, but it's the best chance of catching up in a few turns if the Bulldog gets to continue moving offscreen.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

The Bulldog has the same 3/5 movement profile as the Hawg. If it gets scrolled (which it will) it's not going to catch up again.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

We tried something new and it didn't work out. At least it's a quick-ish mission, so it's not like there was any harm in trying it out.

Still acts as a palate cleaner between the mini-campaign and whatever surprises PTN has in store for us next vote. I hope we find out what happened with this Goliath Scorpion paradrop teams beating up Widowmakers.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I enjoy all these characters but I still think that trolling other clanners so hard they delete their unit would have been the best most perfectly goony thing possible. It'd be just like going back to the glory days of yelling ALT-F4 WOWEEE in MWO and seeing 3 people DC on the other team.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

There solution here is for the players to attack the hawg and do some motive system damage so it slows down

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable

Wafflecopper posted:

There solution here is for the players to attack the hawg and do some motive system damage so it slows down

It's a nice idea, but

PoptartsNinja posted:

Redline the Engines: The Desert Hawg’s speed cannot be reduced by damage or critical hits.

It was a nice experiment, though, and at least this kind of mission may work out better in the future.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Oh whoops, forgot about that rule

Cimbri
Feb 6, 2015

Bloody Pom posted:

The Bulldog has the same 3/5 movement profile as the Hawg. If it gets scrolled (which it will) it's not going to catch up again.

Actually the Bulldog is a 4/6, and the hill in front of it is a height one hill, so I'm confused on why it's assured to get scrolled off.

The Goblin, on the other hand, does look to be just plain screwed

(If you wanted, you could allow players to use the "Sprint" rules in this sort of scenario, the whole "Red-Lining the Engines" thing with the Desert Hawg seems sort of like it, as I don't believe I've seen it fire it's weapons)

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

Cimbri posted:

(If you wanted, you could allow players to use the "Sprint" rules in this sort of scenario, the whole "Red-Lining the Engines" thing with the Desert Hawg seems sort of like it, as I don't believe I've seen it fire it's weapons)

Would this allow for sick jumps off of the sand dunes?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Isn't this situation solvable with a bit of DM 'oh it turns out that hill isn't a hill at all it's just a slight incline that doesn't merit a height change' sleight of hand?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Mostly I think what people are saying/thinking (myself included) is that this is a really neat scenario and the plot is cool, and it'd be lame to have it cut off early for mechanical mis-steps that are ultimately GM-fiat-fixable (and which everyone seems totally fine with). :shobon:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Cimbri posted:

Actually the Bulldog is a 4/6, and the hill in front of it is a height one hill, so I'm confused on why it's assured to get scrolled off.

Because it can't reach the 10 line without a turn, and a turn means you can't reach the 10 line. Anything on 11-15 gets scrolled off and anything scrolled off the map in BattleTech counts as destroyed.

I'm also not really having fun running this scenario. I'm not looking to rush it to a conclusion but I'm also not really actively working to save it since getting scrolled off the board was a known hazard at the start.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Nov 15, 2016

Cimbri
Feb 6, 2015

PoptartsNinja posted:

Because it can't reach the 10 line without a turn, and a turn means you can't reach the 10 line. Anything on 11-15 gets scrolled off and anything scrolled off the map in BattleTech counts as destroyed.

I'm also not really having fun running this scenario. I'm not looking to rush it to a conclusion but I'm also not really actively working to save it since getting scrolled off the board was a known hazard at the start.

Pretty sure it'd be 6 into 0810 with a drift into 0811

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Cimbri posted:

Pretty sure it'd be 6 into 0810 with a drift into 0811

Drifting only works if you aren't expending extra MP. The Bulldog is on a hill, which costs 2 MP to descend.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

PoptartsNinja posted:

Yeah, if you're not having fun, no need to prolong matters. Devil take the hindmost.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Clearly we need them to accidentally drive through a Hogarth movie set that happens to be in the desert so they can crash through fruit stands and walls of boxes again.

Unfortunately the mech we find to salvage would then be made of cardboard and packed with fireworks.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

I can only hope we get to see a revamped scenario of everyone getting whatever mech was found back out. Bonus points if we manage to get it going on the way by setting up a mobile windmill to power that sucker up!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Grave Digger: Tactical Update 13

“Hell with this,” Krel twisted his steering column hard to the left as another silvery streak flashed past the Desert Hawg. Old Scratch was targeting the salvager directly, perhaps having guessed that without Krel the rest of their pursuit would be forced to give up. He slammed his meaty fists on the dash as he slowed to a stop—it rankled, letting the Devil’s Due get away, but no amount of money would matter if he got himself killed.

“Krel to crew, we’re breakin’ off,” he grumbled. Now that the Devils had been startled there’d be no way for the Desert Hawg to catch up. Better to cut his losses here, after all: there were other ways to make money. As he brought the Hawg to a stop, his bodyguards did likewise—all save for Cantankerous, whose blood was clearly up. The man was a dangerous mix of crazy and bloodlust, but this was precisely why Krel had brought him. He’d harry the Devil’s Due until they crippled him or he killed something. Which gave Krel plenty of opportunity to safely disengage.

“What about our pay?” Chastity demanded. They’d been promised a percentage. Krel would’ve been well within his rights to tell her to gently caress off, but they’d all taken hits for him. He’d never hire another bodyguard if he shafted them outright.

“Relax, I promised a percentage of salvage, remember?” He slumped in his chair. “And it just so happens, we have exclusive knowledge of the location of four salvageable battle tanks. Help me secure ‘em, and you’ll still get your percentage. Who knows—if that `Mech’s a Wasp or something, we might even make more money this way.”

The comms were silent for a moment before Chastity laughed. “Ha, fine. I knew a fat weasel like you would have an angle.”

Shooting Phase
Marsden II (Player)
- Fires Autocannon/5 at Old Scratch (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 9) rolled 6, miss!
- Fires SRM-6 (Deadfire) at Old Scratch (4 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 11) rolled 5, miss!
- Fires SRM-6 (Deadfire) at Old Scratch (4 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 11) rolled 9, miss!

Goblin Medium Tank "Diamondback" (Player)
- Fires Heavy Chemical Laser at Old Scratch (4 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 11) rolled 10, miss!
- Fires Heavy Chemical Laser at Old Scratch (4 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 11) rolled 6, miss!

Bulldog Medium Tank (Player)
- Fires Heavy Rifle at Old Scratch (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 9) rolled 2, miss!
- Fires SRM-4 (Inferno) at Old Scratch (4 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 11) rolled 6, miss!
- Fires SRM-4 (Inferno) at Old Scratch (4 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 11) rolled 5, miss!

Thor Artillery Vehicle "Exhumer" (Player)
- Holds fire!

Devil’s Due
- Fires Autocannon/10 at Marsden II (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 9) rolled 9, hit Turret (17/27 armor remaining)! , miss!

Old Scratch
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Desert Hawg (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 10) rolled 8, miss!

Player Status:

Ally Status:

Opposing Force Status:

Special Rules
Drifting: Vehicles may shift one column to the left or right during the movement phase without expending an MP to turn, provided the move does not cross through an enemy unit or terrain that would cost additional MP. Adjacent vehicles may be rammed for low damage with a sideswipe and lighter vehicles may be knocked off course next turn!
Half-Height Terrain: All terrain features rise to only half their normal height. Vehicles behind a height 1 hill may still attack and be attacked, but may only receive damage to their turrets. Vehicles without turrets are hidden as normal. Hills only cost 1 MP to climb rather than the additional 2. BattleMech and IndustrialMech units treat height 1 hexes as if they are clear terrain, height 2 as if they are height 1, etc.
Oases: Oases are surrounded by boggy soil that will trap ground vehicles and may attract native fauna.
Mirages: Heat shimmer can make water appear where there is none. Mirages may be driven through safely but may hide other features.
Redline the Engines: The Desert Hawg’s speed cannot be reduced by damage or critical hits.

Primary Objectives
- Protect the Desert Hawg (0/1)
- Disable or destroy the Devil’s Due (0/1)

Secondary Objectives
- Drive away or destroy Scarback (Complete)
- Disable or destroy Old Scratch (0/1)

After-Action Report:

Players did pretty good in spite of some big flaws in the way I executed this mission. In hindsight making the edge of the “if you end your turn past this line you’ll be scrolled off for sure” zone more obvious probably would’ve helped too. Combat theater vote’s coming soon, but I need to go buy groceries first. Thanks to all the players for sticking this one out in spite of the frustration.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
Getting killed by 1 height hills and some turns is probably the lamest death in Battletech history :eng99:.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
What was the mech they were possibly going to salvage?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Saint Celestine posted:

An archangel.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Cantankerous Mehrens will never die.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

Saint Celestine posted:

A pristine, never before seen combat http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Liberator_(BattleMech) :v:

Alas, not every idea works out in the end, though I'm sure with some time you can hammer out the kinks in the idea Poptarts.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Saint Celestine posted:

It was an Assassin.

Unless I change my mind and make it a fantastic SLDF McGuffin the Capellans are really going to want.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
My only regret is not figuring out a use for the Coolant ammo.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I don't think the autoscrolling mission is conceptually flawed. It essentially turns space into a resource for the players to manage and lets them make interesting decisions about how to spend it (ie, focusing on shooting or positioning for one turn and being forced to concentrate on making up ground the next). Unfortunately, when players had vehicles who could only barely keep up with the mission at maximum speed, it meant they basically didn't get to make any decisions at all, at which point they're operating the game more than playing it. The only choice was to keep going full speed ahead or risk getting left behind, and even they had very little margin for error if they were forced to take a turn or found difficult terrain unexpectedly in their line of travel. As others have observed, the mission probably would have been more fun for the players if the general movement profile was closer to 5/8s that could pick between cruising for good shooting mods and flanking when they wanted to cover ground or go over a hill.

I'm still impressed by your ability to come up with engaging new scenarios after all these years, so definitely don't feel bad if a very outside-the-box mission turned out to be a learning experience.

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

PoptartsNinja posted:

It was an Assassin.

This is perfect!

I hope you revisit the side scroller mission idea because I think it's a really strong concept. Rather than just a "keep up" mechanic though it could be a cool way to simulate a fighting retreat between faster machines. Give goons some hussars and fireballs and locusts/etc and force them to push their machines to the limit.

I also enjoyed the garbage tech level concepts a lot. Crappy jury-rigged tanks and mechs will never fail to entertain me. If some kind of reboot is coming please give us some kind of flash forward before the end because I'd love to see the PTN take on Dark Age industrified battlemechs.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

It was an Assassin.

Unless I change my mind and make it a fantastic SLDF McGuffin the Capellans are really going to want.

You had the perfect chance to make it an Urbanmech and you blew it!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Ah, an Assassin. A shitbox that will make you King poo poo of poo poo Mountain.

There were a few things about this mission that didn't work out, but I think it was a very solid core premise that just needs a few adjustments in a future iteration, and then you could have a really good custom ruleset on your hands!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Combat Theater Vote

Star Captain August’s eyes snapped open at the sudden hiss of failed pneumatics. He’d been floating silently in the `Mechbay’s microgravity, his right foot hooked under a retractable grab rail running the length of the floor. Like most Mechwarriors, he found the sights and sounds of an active `Mechbay relaxing, and often visited when he wanted a few moments to think in peace. He wasn’t alone, Star Commander Chidike was just down the bay, his dark lips curled into a frown as he stared at a support beam between a rack of Salamanders and the latest-model Elemental armor. August knew he was trying to decide which would be the superior choice for the upcoming operation and although it was well within August’s rights to choose a loadout for his Elemental stars, he was hardly an expert in infantry operations and felt allowing his subordinate the opportunity to make the choice was preferable.

A portable prying wedge had been over-extended in an effort to pry open a stuck access panel in the armor of Mechwarrior Chaya’s Ebon Jaguar. Preparations for setting a final combat loadout were well underway, which meant the OmniMechs needed to be opened and mated with weapons systems appropriate to the task of annihilating an entire Widowmaker Cluster. Similar to a jaws-of-life emergency rescue device, the pneumatic prying wedge was designed to be driven into a gap in the armor and slowly opened to safely crack the welding with the aid of a little heat. Apparently in a hurry, the technician who’d set up the wedge had simply brought it up to maximum pressure without making any attempt to loosen the weld with heat.

His body tumbled away silently, unconscious at best, as the pneumatic wedge flew through the air across the bay at a walking pace. Another technician moved to intercept, interposing her body between the wedge and a wall to wait for it. August slipped his foot from the grab rail and pushed off with as much force as his powerful legs could manage. Although he’d been farther away, he crossed the bay in half the time, tackling the foolish technician out of the way. She went down beneath him, and for a moment they were both tangled in a tumbling pile of dark limbs.

The pry wedge struck one of the `Mechbay’s interior walls with enough force to crack its outer casing. Although it hadn’t been moving quickly in the near weightlessness of the bay, it still packed the mass as an adult human into a hunk of metal less than half-a-meter long. Even traveling at a mere five kilometers per hour successfully “catching” the tool would’ve undoubtedly shattered the woman’s ribs and possibly killed her outright. Even after losing a lot of its energy on the rebound it still required a careful grab from Star Commander Chidike’s Salamander armor to stop the tool’s momentum entirely. He placed it on the ground so the technicians could recover it. Chidike offered August a respectful nod as he turned to return the Salamander armor to the rack. As soon as they passed near enough to the floor for August to catch a grip, he extricated himself from his entanglement and helped the technician to her feet.

“Be careful in the future,” he cautioned. “A flying tool is no joke. The Clan does not have so many technicians that we can afford to throw one away just to spare the effort of repainting a scratched bulkhead.”

Demon Hawks, Company D
Company D, the new Demon Hawks subsidiary company made up of ex-Clan defectors, is eager to prove themselves worthy of the name—and take revenge on their previous masters for years of ill-use. They’ve been placed under direct Republic command to test their willingness to follow orders they may not like, but have nonetheless been placed near the front lines to seek the battle they seem to crave.

Clan Goliath Scorpion, 35th Scorpion Cuirassiers, “Scorpions of the Veil”
The cold war between the Goliath Scorpions and the Widowmakers is heating up. The Widowmakers have raided a Scorpion world for ammunition and supplies, and the ilKhan has ignored the Scorpions’ formal complaint. The elite, fanatical warriors of the 35th Scorpion Cuirassiers have been tasked with a single duty: to punish and humiliate the offending Clan Widowmaker unit so thoroughly that the Widowmakers will be forced to disband it.

Operation: Brass Bull
With the TSC Vendetta crippled in high orbit by a suicidal fighter attack, The Taurian Concordat’s invasion of New Syrtis has taken on a desperate air. With the planetary spaceport crippled by the initial Taurian nuclear attack, the Duchy has been unable to significantly redeploy its defense forces but at the same time the Vendetta is unable to launch follow-up strikes against the Duchy’s defensive positions. The TDF’s ground invasion is nevertheless underway with one goal: the capture of Duke Morgan Hasek.

Combat Theater Vote:
A) Demon Hawks, Company D
B) 35th Scorpion Cuirassiers
C) Operation: Brass Bull

PTN's note: Last time I spoiled you for choice, but some of them were redundant. This time I'm doing the opposite.

• Locked thread