Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Springfield Fatts posted:

Is there a chemical that lets you use GW washes in a manner similar to oil washing, or failing that something that will thin any wash that has pooled too heavily?

A clean brush? Just slurp up the excess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Got my little Skink Buddy painted up for Silver Tower.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Two squad's of Grenadiers done.
Modelled two of them with scopes to stand in as snipers with spotters should I need.

I could set up my light box but im only going for table quality. So eh.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Yeast posted:

Very cool and good.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

Avenging Dentist posted:

A clean brush? Just slurp up the excess.

As in its already dried.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Yeast posted:

This is great. My Tau are gonna try to infiltrate your lizardpeople.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Is there a chemical that lets you use GW washes in a manner similar to oil washing, or failing that something that will thin any wash that has pooled too heavily?
Future Floor Wax. It cuts the surface tension and helps the wash pool/dry correctly (i.e. without tide lines).

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Kommando posted:

Two squad's of Grenadiers done.

There's a new toy store in the (Brisbane) city mall that sells warlord stuff. The shop guy doesn't really know anything about wargaming but I was very happy to pick up a tiger tank for $30. He said he's happy to take orders with delivery in under a week. I plan to return for a comfort Stug and then order some grenadiers.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Been working on a shuttle. First image just for reference. Trying to figure out how to create a border to the rest of the shuttle. Or, if I just need to add accents to the wings/cockpit. I don't really want to paint the whole thing this way.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Mar 28, 2017

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Ilor posted:

Future Floor Wax. It cuts the surface tension and helps the wash pool/dry correctly (i.e. without tide lines).

It also provides some more durability (it's actually an acrylic hardener than wax, and is what most people use for a semigloss seal)

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Chill la Chill posted:

Been working on a shuttle. First image just for reference. Trying to figure out how to create a border to the rest of the shuttle. Or, if I just need to add accents to the wings/cockpit. I don't really want to paint the whole thing this way.

Holy crap. That is some killer freehand, dude.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Thanks, but the writing is a decal. I could probably do it but don't have the patience for that much meticulous detail. I will probably just continue to do more sections as inspiration comes back.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Ilor posted:

The current name they sell it under is Pledge Floor Care Multi Surface Finish

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

As in its already dried.

Then you'll have to paint over it. You can thin your paint so it's translucent and try to clean it up so that you're not starting 100% from scratch though.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

NTRabbit posted:

The current name they sell it under is Pledge Floor Care Multi Surface Finish

Thank you for clarifying this. I stood there staring at this bottle forever trying to decide if I should take the risk.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

xutech posted:

There's a new toy store in the (Brisbane) city mall that sells warlord stuff. The shop guy doesn't really know anything about wargaming but I was very happy to pick up a tiger tank for $30. He said he's happy to take orders with delivery in under a week. I plan to return for a comfort Stug and then order some grenadiers.

It's a fun game, and the miniatures are unique enough that painting them doesn't feel like a chore even when you have 30 and they're all wearing the same uniform.

I just finished some Luftwaffe (and a Schwimmwagen) last night:

Will try to get a better shot of them this weekend with a real camera. :)

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Cat Face Joe posted:

Thank you for clarifying this. I stood there staring at this bottle forever trying to decide if I should take the risk.

I've lost it now, but I found a website that showed all of the different names and labels in chronological order, and confirmed it was the same fluid in each bottle.

Lost no more! I have the 2013 label bottle and it is definitely gloss sealer.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Nov 14, 2016

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
That should tell you how old my bottle is. Seriously, you use it like a drop at a time. It will last you years.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Last year, i replaced my 12 year old bottle of Future Floor Finish. It served me well.

Edit: vvvvvv premixed and ready to go for 10 dollars a QUART. It is a good deal for miniature painters already.

Editedit: 27oz is not quite a quart.

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Nov 14, 2016

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

As far as I'm aware, Future is just acrylic gloss varnish + a surfactant, so you can also just grab those two components and mix them as needed.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I airbrushed my first three cruisers tonight and i'm really thrilled with how they turned out. There's a little lift on the front one but that will be easy to correct during highlighting.

I even managed to take pictures during all steps :v: Should i do write-ups part by part or wait until they're finished and then do a big one?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Bistromatic posted:

I airbrushed my first three cruisers tonight and i'm really thrilled with how they turned out. There's a little lift on the front one but that will be easy to correct during highlighting.

I even managed to take pictures during all steps :v: Should i do write-ups part by part or wait until they're finished and then do a big one?

Thanks. Either, a 2 parter or a big one is fine by me.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

xutech posted:

StuG is good. See if you can get a StuG IV.

Theres only 2 stores here in CBR that has BA, way north or way south.
My usual crew plays in the north and says the owner of the south is a pedantic jerk who argues with the BA devs on Facebook all the time. But he has more stock.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
I forgot to oath this. Oh well. The latest little thing I've been painting. It's a pulp-ish pistol dude (Reaper Black Mist) as a test character for a game I'm designing.

I think I'm going to paint on a little mask. Also, he needs touch-ups, (as usual)

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I'm trying to figure out how to do an Alpha Legion color scheme and having a motherfucker of a time trying to figure out how to get anything close to a teal irridescent effect without an airbrush. Should I just give up and go for blue with green highlights which I've seen a lot?

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

mango sentinel posted:

I'm trying to figure out how to do an Alpha Legion color scheme and having a motherfucker of a time trying to figure out how to get anything close to a teal irridescent effect without an airbrush. Should I just give up and go for blue with green highlights which I've seen a lot?

Someone posted an article a few days ago either here or the 40k thread with a few different techniques for exactly that. I can't find it atm but I recall one of them was just a silver basecoat followed by a series of green and blue glazes and washes, looked pretty good.

*edit*

GuardianOfAsgaard fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 17, 2016

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Yeah, you can get a pretty decent result since if you apply metallic paints well (i.e focusing on the flakes more than the carrier paint) you'll rarely see brush strokes, and theres a lot of paints that work well for glazes (I'm still partial to Tamiya's clear paints, even if they demand special thinning)

You'll never get as great a metallic/pearl effect as airbrushing just due to the nature of hand and air brushing, but it can still look nice and impressive.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Painted up 10 more State Troops for my Empire, this time with swords n boards:

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Those are gorgeous. I think I like your fantasy minis even more than your 40k minis.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Yeah, I wish I could paint that cleanly; I 'm working on a Reaper orc and even with some pretty distinct contrast colors I still find myself making easily avoidable mistakes and messes.

Speaking of, I rarely have issue with bonesium, but I can confidently say after thoroughly scrubbing, soaking, and wiping down this dude and giving him a pretty thick priming, that loving nothing you put on bonesium spikes will avoid getting rubbed off at so much as a glance.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Someone posted an article a few days ago either here or the 40k thread with a few different techniques for exactly that. I can't find it atm but I recall one of them was just a silver basecoat followed by a series of green and blue glazes and washes, looked pretty good.

*edit*

Thanks! I've been looking at airbrush auto-air candy paint but I'm not sure how well any of that brushes and how to mix it for that purpose. In that madness I forgot to check if GW makes glazes. 😛

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Just so everyone knows, HobbyZone (who makes awesome modular hobby storage units) now has a US distributor.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
For UK scratch builders and modellers, where do you get plasticard from? I could only find expensive and thick small sheets at Hobbycraft.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Try http://www.antenocitisworkshop.com/

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

I finished my Luftwaffe field division. I'm pretty happy with how they turned out, but I also understand it's a mediocre effort and that I still have a lot to learn.

Also mediocre is my ability to use a camera. Going to have to figure out white balance.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Ta

Also, loving lol at how dear this stuff is in Hobbycraft by comparison.

Inazuma
Jun 20, 2005
I'm just getting back into painting after years off. I'm having trouble with GW paints when using a size 0 or 00 brush. After a minute or so I get a dried fleck of paint on the tip of the brush, I then have to clean it off and load it up again. I'm thinning my paints with water, using a palette etc... but don't remember having this problem ~15 years back. Any tips for preventing this?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Inazuma posted:

I'm just getting back into painting after years off. I'm having trouble with GW paints when using a size 0 or 00 brush. After a minute or so I get a dried fleck of paint on the tip of the brush, I then have to clean it off and load it up again. I'm thinning my paints with water, using a palette etc... but don't remember having this problem ~15 years back. Any tips for preventing this?

Is it multiple different paints doing this? The only time I've seen this happen is after it dries on a tile for like 10 minutes.

Inazuma
Jun 20, 2005

mango sentinel posted:

Is it multiple different paints doing this? The only time I've seen this happen is after it dries on a tile for like 10 minutes.

Come to think of it, I've only seen it with a pot of evil sunz scarlet red. Could be a dodgy pot I guess. I'll give it a good mix, see if it's still happening, if it is I'll grab another pot ans see if that helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I finished my second gargantuan for my Trollbloods- the Glacier King.

A friend suggested I add snow to the whelp on the base, to make him more like a mini GK. I wound up breaking out some old plasticard hex rod and stuff I had sitting around, and made some basic ice crystals too. I'm kind of in love with it. (Whelps are the result of troll beasts losing a limb or other part, than then regenerates into its own mini-troll.)

(I really like drinky whelp riding on top, too.)