Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
the heat mechanic was good and cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Hopefully the MP is just as fun as 3s. The timing on the free addons kept me hooked and fresh each time I almost got bored of the game.

I hope i can say the same of the main game as well.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Trast posted:

I believe it's been said by official sources that they are involved in the game in some capacity. :smith:

Has it? The only mention of Cerberus that I can remember is someone breaking an NDA a year or two ago and talking about how he was in a focus group for the game (he said that some aliens jumped into combat from ME3 Cerberus shuttles, which sounds like place-holder assets to me).

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
I'm still not sure why anyone talks about how great the heat mechanic was when everybody just slapped on frictionless materials X to fire their gun forever anyway. Not exactly brilliant gameplay, there.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Geostomp posted:

I'm still not sure why anyone talks about how great the heat mechanic was when everybody just slapped on frictionless materials X to fire their gun forever anyway. Not exactly brilliant gameplay, there.

High Explosive Round X + Shotgun and start swinging for the fences.

Ages
Feb 20, 2005

Its just half the puffin juice and the puffin lives and doesnt mind. I promise!
Fun Shoe

Eej posted:

High Explosive Round X + Shotgun and start swinging for the fences.

Dual Scram Rail X + High Explosive Round X + sniper rifle

why bother coming within half a planet of another life form

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I still can't actually sit down and play ME1 anymore, no matter how much I may want to. The heat system was dumb and unfun. It encouraged you to sit there with a sniper rifle and JO while slowly killing everyone instead of moving up to claim ammo and actually having to engage with things in a fight.

On the other hand it let me turn my shotgun into an infinite ammo monster that could obliterate Geth from the other side of the Citadel, so that was cool.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Yeah, the guns in the first game were fantastic in terms of how broken you could make them if you knew the systems. Basically all of ME1 was broken in fun ways. Nothing in the later games, mechanics wise, has lived up to the insanity of ragdolling entire rooms with biotics. But I'm a weirdo who thinks ME2 was the weakest of the 3, so what do I know?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The only problem with the thermal clip system was that I would run out of ammo for my sniper rifle and have to use a different gun sometimes instead. I hated that part.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I like that the powers have separate cooldowns now. It gives you an incentive to mix it and use different powers instead of maxing out 1 or 2 and spamming them. I liked that about ME1.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Why was he in ME3? I played through the whole series and some culturally confused Chinese cyborg ninja who got his rear end handed to him by a dying Drell really didn't add much to the story.

I'm really looking forward to the half dozen characters we meet in Andromeda and say, "Oh poo poo, you're Fartknocker McGee?!?! Everyone who read the tie-in novels knows about you!"

marshmallow creep posted:

You can pursue multiple intimate relationships. Some might not like that. As you'd expect. Others may say they don't care. But, don't they?

"I-It's not like I wanted you to wax my ovipositor!" the space slug squelches nervously. :can:

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Agreed on everything here. Cerberus only got unredeemably stupid when they somehow acquired a full military force in 3

I think that actually works but they never really put the pieces together in a satisfying way.

Cerberus got the manpower by huskifying a bunch of colonists and prefab weapons/armor is probably dirt cheap and easy to make.

A good chunk of their plots and poo poo is about trying to get an army (husks, rachni, creepers, etc.). Most backfire but this one actually worked. But no they never explicitly said how this came to be just sort of put the pieces out there. Same as the confusion why Sovereign/Saren were looking for the Conduit at the start of the game before they actually needed it.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I mean, Mass Effect 3 did have a whole entire mission about where Cerberus was getting their troops.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Bongo Bill posted:

I mean, Mass Effect 3 did have a whole entire mission about where Cerberus was getting their troops.

I mean, yeah

I was trying to give the benefit of the doubt to everyone who still didn't get it, like it's a pretty simple concept but maybe Bioware presented it poorly (like a lot of other things they've done)?

or maybe they needed a sequence where EDI just pulls up a powerpoint and explains things like you would to a kindergartner

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Mazerunner posted:

or maybe they needed a sequence where EDI just pulls up a powerpoint and explains things like you would to a kindergartner

I prefer the anime way where everything happens and then they fill the second half of the episode explaining how everything happened as if you didn't just see how everything happened.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
If you're talking about mirandas dads private molestation fortress. then no, it didn't.

Cerberus had a significant military force, not just bodies but material assets, technological bases, etc, up to and including several cruiser class vessels, long before Fort Molestation went online as a fake refugee camp. (which, by the way, they really should have done a better job at containing the pseudo friendly reaper forces, as if I was turning up at space camp looking for safety, and everything I saw was on fire, broken, or distinctly not safe, I would probably leave, and tell others.)

Sure, they could have tapped their existing forces for the husking programs before setting up space camp, but that still doesn't explain where all the money and resources came from BEFORE Mr Suicide became butt buddies with the good, hardworking space robots who were just doing their jobs, man.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Something, probably the codex, also mentions that because of the whole Reaper tech thing Cerberus soldiers are super soldiers or something so they can totally overwhelm a force many times their size.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Kibayasu posted:

Something, probably the codex, also mentions that because of the whole Reaper tech thing Cerberus soldiers are super soldiers or something so they can totally overwhelm a force many times their size.

Until the multiplayer teams arrive. :getin:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Trast posted:

I believe it's been said by official sources that they are involved in the game in some capacity. :smith:

I feel like Cerberus fits a lot better in this new narrative than in the grand plot of the reaper story. We're going to a new galaxy and meeting new civilizations, of course there's gonna be a "HUMANITY FIRST" element there and Cerberus fits perfectly

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I wonder how long it will take until it's revealed that the human supremacist group Cerberus infiltrated humanity's ark ship.

nov 9

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

McGiggins posted:

If you're talking about mirandas dads private molestation fortress. then no, it didn't.

Cerberus had a significant military force, not just bodies but material assets, technological bases, etc, up to and including several cruiser class vessels, long before Fort Molestation went online as a fake refugee camp. (which, by the way, they really should have done a better job at containing the pseudo friendly reaper forces, as if I was turning up at space camp looking for safety, and everything I saw was on fire, broken, or distinctly not safe, I would probably leave, and tell others.)

Sure, they could have tapped their existing forces for the husking programs before setting up space camp, but that still doesn't explain where all the money and resources came from BEFORE Mr Suicide became butt buddies with the good, hardworking space robots who were just doing their jobs, man.

I'm almost positive that Sanctuary or whatever they called it that was a synonym for that was both relatively recent and also not on fire until shortly before you got there, since they make a pretty big deal out of the "The reapers are attacking this place with a disproportionately large force and we're not entirely sure why."

Also Cerberus' military presence (special forces ground troops, some cruisers) was fine on a galactic scale until Omega when all of a sudden they had an armada with a dreadnought. Omega was a pretty stupid DLC in general though so whatever.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I'm glad we agree that the Omega DLC was loving gay. No offense intended to the homoerotical inclined goons around.

On the other hand, if mr suicide was indoctrinated, and was thus serving the reapers with all his actions, including funding and running the molestation fortress extraordinaire, why did the reapers essentially attack one of their own strongholds, whose literal only purpose was to kill any still-at-large peeps?

I really, really think the story and plot lines we ended up with as part of ME3 were gay as aids and just really not worth the due diligence commanded by the original, planned ending.

http://www.pcgamer.com/mass-effect-3-series-former-lead-writer-reveals-original-ending-ideas/

for the OG writers short rundown on what he was kinda aiming for.

I just want story heroin that tastes like real heroin, with only 2 percent fat.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmavAidUhqg

An interview of the creative director for ME:A. He's being very vague but so far hasn't said anything that really makes me worry.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Me1 had amazing atmosphere and sets and characters. The fighting was secondary . To me. IMHO.

Me2 mixed both and was one of the best games ever made tho the last boss was dumb .

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Zzulu posted:

I feel like Cerberus fits a lot better in this new narrative than in the grand plot of the reaper story. We're going to a new galaxy and meeting new civilizations, of course there's gonna be a "HUMANITY FIRST" element there and Cerberus fits perfectly

I'd say the opposite. In the Milky Way, there were resources to grab and power structures to subvert. Basically, prizes that would entice and rules to anger supremacists as well as places to hide them. Here, there isn't much of anything that could be taken since everyone is in the same boat, quite literally. Anyone not consumed by Trump-voter-esque blind hatred would have to admit that they need ever resource they have, bodies included, so trying anything that could lead to breaking the expedition team up would be a death sentence. That's not to mention that anyone that xenophobic would be unlikely to sign up for a centuries-long one-way trip to begin with.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

euphronius posted:

Me1 had amazing atmosphere and sets and characters. The fighting was secondary . To me. IMHO.

Me2 mixed both and was one of the best games ever made tho the last boss was dumb .

I really dislike how ME2 locked literally half the classes to only pistols. And on top of that made it so one of the pistols was a side-weapon at best because none of them got nearly enough ammo per heat sink.

ME3 and ME1 were much better with the ability to mix and match weapons you liked, so all Adepts weren't locked to 'well, I guess I'm just using the Tempest forever' until 2/3rds through the game.

I also really disliked how hosed over a lot of squadmates were in ME2 while others were great. Jack especially is just the epitome of :effort: since basically everything is immune to her two active powers for most of the fight. Ditto Samara/Mordrith and to a lesser extent Mordin, Legion and Jacob.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Adepts in ME1 are locked to using pistols by default, but they can at least use other weapons if you get the "kill 150 dudes with this weapon type" achievement which unlocks that weapon for all classes.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Psycho Landlord posted:

I'm almost positive that Sanctuary or whatever they called it that was a synonym for that was both relatively recent and also not on fire until shortly before you got there, since they make a pretty big deal out of the "The reapers are attacking this place with a disproportionately large force and we're not entirely sure why."

Also Cerberus' military presence (special forces ground troops, some cruisers) was fine on a galactic scale until Omega when all of a sudden they had an armada with a dreadnought. Omega was a pretty stupid DLC in general though so whatever.

ehh. my guess is they only had one or 2. also i can also totaly believe that Cerberus is a secret cobra that was able to hide its power level from the alliance and the council, i can also believe they probaly had swell of recruitment and lickspittles after it was proven the reapers are indeed real and coming.

anyway they revealed the Kett yesterday. http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2016/11/14/exclusive-look-at-the-kett-mass-effect-andromedas-mysterious-new-race.aspx

they basicaly look like 2 eye protheians with bone cancer.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Doc Morbid posted:

Adepts in ME1 are locked to using pistols by default, but they can at least use other weapons if you get the "kill 150 dudes with this weapon type" achievement which unlocks that weapon for all classes.

I always found pistols to be the secret best weapon in that game anyway, much like Alpha Protocol.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

marshmallow creep posted:

I always found pistols to be the secret best weapon in that game anyway, much like Alpha Protocol.
They pretty much are, Marksman is ridiculously good.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I only ever used samara and tali in me2 for ... uh... reasons.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

euphronius posted:

I only ever used samara and tali in me2 for ... uh... reasons.

To have both biotic and tech powers available? It's a sound strategy. :v:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah . I was minmaxing .

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Dapper_Swindler posted:

ehh. my guess is they only had one or 2. also i can also totaly believe that Cerberus is a secret cobra that was able to hide its power level from the alliance and the council, i can also believe they probaly had swell of recruitment and lickspittles after it was proven the reapers are indeed real and coming.

anyway they revealed the Kett yesterday. http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2016/11/14/exclusive-look-at-the-kett-mass-effect-andromedas-mysterious-new-race.aspx

they basicaly look like 2 eye protheians with bone cancer.

Something about their faces reminds me of Thane...with bone cancer.

So do they use armor in their outfits when in combat or are they like...boney human sized krogan and so tough they can withstand futuristic small arms fire?

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I brought miranda on pretty much every single mission because she had warp and overload, so she countered every enemy in the game.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Mymla posted:

I brought miranda on pretty much every single mission because she had warp and overload, so she countered every enemy in the game.

She also had a passive bonus to party damage.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Something about those concept sketches remind me of a bone version of a Michael Bay transformer face

the finished product reads a lot cleaner, so good work there

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

CottonWolf posted:

But I'm a weirdo who thinks ME2 was the weakest of the 3, so what do I know?

I agree with you there in terms of actual story- ME2 has some of Bioware's best characters, but it doesn't move the story along at all until the Shadow Broker and Arrival DLCs.

Also, can I just say that I hate that Bioware seems to think nowadays that it's OK to put their epilogues into DLC that frequently costs over ten bucks? They were gonna do it with DA2 before that got cancelled, and they did it for ME2 and DAI.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Soap! Your knife has overheated! Now, remember; switching to a reloading mechanic is always more fun than a cooldown mechanic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mymla posted:

She is annoying. She stays on the Normandy.