Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

m.hache posted:

Messaging the guy now.

He mentions the Technics SL-23 Needs work. I'm trying to figure out what he means by that.

The other tt just needs a belt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

BigFactory posted:

The other tt just needs a belt.

What would be the "Prize" of this bundle (or is it all a great deal).

It'd be nice to actually get both record players just so I have one to futz around with and learn how to service them.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

m.hache posted:

What would be the "Prize" of this bundle (or is it all a great deal).

It'd be nice to actually get both record players just so I have one to futz around with and learn how to service them.

I think you'll like the speakers a lot more than those realistic kabukis (unless max volume is your goal). And the realistic amp is uggo. And it's cheaper.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

BigFactory posted:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-electronics/hamilton/vintage-stereo-turntables-and-speakers/1216096394?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Jump on that.

Or there's a Marantz 2216 for $150 listed, and you could grab the Dual TT for $80. Might be cheapo speakers I can find.

I'd say that is a fair price for what's on offer. Looks like it was all brought together in late 70s. Receiver is 15W into 4 ohm which is a little weak, but the speakers seem decent quality (if a relatively unknown brand outside of CA), and both turntables are decent quality too. And you have to assume that the setup worked fine if they've been used together for so long. But don't forget that there will be a price involved in replacing the Garrard belt, and whatever "needs work" means for the SL-23.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jeza posted:

I'd say that is a fair price for what's on offer. Looks like it was all brought together in late 70s. Receiver is 15W into 4 ohm which is a little weak, but the speakers seem decent quality (if a relatively unknown brand outside of CA), and both turntables are decent quality too. And you have to assume that the setup worked fine if they've been used together for so long. But don't forget that there will be a price involved in replacing the Garrard belt, and whatever "needs work" means for the SL-23.

Heard from the Seller.

Needs work = Not spinning , wrong dust cover but it would work, needs cart and stylus.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Bought it all for $150!

Thanks everyone. I'll likely be back for repair tips in the near future.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

m.hache posted:

Heard from the Seller.

Needs work = Not spinning , wrong dust cover but it would work, needs cart and stylus.

I'm no turntable technician, but not spinning could be a lot of things. Some maybe you could fix yourself, others less so. From my POV in the UK, the speakers are the best thing in the lot just from what I can see about them online. A working SL-23 is probably the most valuable thing there, but yeah, no guarantee of that. Most of the time it ends up being cheaper to buy working equipment than it is to spend money on parts to repair broken equipment when it comes to more budget old hifi. Replacing a belt is no sweat though, so you would have a working system at least.

The ball is really in your court. How often will people post stuff online to buy in your local area, how often will it be decent quality? You could try assembling things piecemeal, maybe trawl local resources like auctions, charity shops and car boot things.

Living in a small place can mean you have little choice if you only want to collect stuff in person to save on delivery, but it can also mean there is a dearth of "competition" for high end audio gear. I went to university in a tiny town, and they ran a bi weekly auction, which was essentially a death sale, because it was run by the local funeral directors. Every item for sale started for one GBP. This thread would go into shock if it saw the amount of decent audio gear go for almost nothing, because people just stuck all of Grandpa's audio stuff into the auction because it was too bulky to take home and they had no use for it, plus no idea of its worth. The only people who went to this auction were bored old people with no intention of buying 50s-80s audio gear, or antiques dealers who just sat there in and bought a million objets d'art for one quid each. If I had had a car and anywhere to store stuff outside my tiny room, I could have bought a warehouse full of B&O gear, and all kinds of stuff.

e: awesome, congrats on your first setup!

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

m.hache posted:

Southern Ontario, Hamilton/Lower Greater Toronto Area

Ahh, I live near you!

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

wolfbiker posted:

Ahh, I live near you!

Ha good stuff.

Any resources I should look at to troubleshoot this Technic when I pick them up tonight? I really want to get that sucker working.

Also good place to get parts? or is Ebay the way to go. I need to get a belt for that Garrard.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
I also recently picked up an SL-23 that wasn't spinning. I think I just had to replace the belt and DeOxit and lube it and it just started to work. I'm not sure about Hamilton area, but Natural Sound in KW has turntable belts, replacement styluses, cartridges, etc. It's a good place. They do repairs as well, but it's not cheap.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

wolfbiker posted:

I also recently picked up an SL-23 that wasn't spinning. I think I just had to replace the belt and DeOxit and lube it and it just started to work. I'm not sure about Hamilton area, but Natural Sound in KW has turntable belts, replacement styluses, cartridges, etc. It's a good place. They do repairs as well, but it's not cheap.

When you say Natural sound in KW do you mean Kitchener? or is there one on Kenilworth?

EDIT: Google says Kitchener. Thanks!

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Yes, Kitchener/Waterloo.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Speaking of Craigslist, is it just the Electronics section that's worth following? I do a few brand searches now and again in case I've missed something. I've seen one new listing of interest in about 2 months here in South East Florida and that was essentially a re-list. I trawled back the entire history here at one point and while there was some stuff, it was certainly on the high end price point.

Craigslist listings are just the worst thing ever and make me hate humanity.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

EL BROMANCE posted:

Speaking of Craigslist, is it just the Electronics section that's worth following? I do a few brand searches now and again in case I've missed something. I've seen one new listing of interest in about 2 months here in South East Florida and that was essentially a re-list. I trawled back the entire history here at one point and while there was some stuff, it was certainly on the high end price point.

Craigslist listings are just the worst thing ever and make me hate humanity.

I look through antiques sometimes but I usually don't see much stereo equipment there. Records more often.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

m.hache posted:

Messaging the guy now.

He mentions the Technics SL-23 Needs work. I'm trying to figure out what he means by that.

Could mean the pots need deoxit, or new belt...

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
So the guy had a surprise for me when I showed up.

He had a new head for the Technic SL-23 which was rad. He also had the following that he just gave away (none in working order). What I want to know, is any of this worth salvaging/working towards fixing? or should I just e-waste it?

Maaay have bitten off more than I can chew but if all it costs me is a trip to the dump that's no big deal.

Full Album here.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
I bought three broken turntables a while back, the SL-23 was the only one I could get working 100%, which I ended up keeping. The other two had issues I couldn't solve, but I put them on Kijiji in as-is condition and sold them for at least what I paid for them. I'd imagine they're worth playing with to see if you can get working and then resell for a profit. If you can't get them working, you could still sell them for $10-$30 to someone who can get them working.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Won a local online auction;

The photo tells you as much as I know about them. They could be DOA, but I buy from this same auction house frequently and usually have good luck.

I made out the equipment as:
Technics RS-TR333 dual cassette deck
JVC RX-505VTN Digital Stereo Receiver

The speakers are Technics, but I know nothing about them beyond that. I'm hoping they are in working condition, but I know if anything is broke it's probably them.

Total cost: $11.50

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
So as far as repairing/troubleshooting these tables I intend to work on them one at a time, starting with the Garrard and then the Technics.

Is there a great resource to work with these? or can I just post symptoms in the thread for some general advise. I don't want to poo poo the thread up with basic questions all the time if I can avoid it.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

m.hache posted:

So as far as repairing/troubleshooting these tables I intend to work on them one at a time, starting with the Garrard and then the Technics.

Is there a great resource to work with these? or can I just post symptoms in the thread for some general advise. I don't want to poo poo the thread up with basic questions all the time if I can avoid it.

If you're not already an Audiokarma member, there are tons of bright people there, and the community is pretty friendly if you post stuff in the right place. There are smart folks here too, though. You're probably going to get the same initial answers to questions here, but if we get stumped that might be a place to go.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

BigFactory posted:

If you're not already an Audiokarma member, there are tons of bright people there, and the community is pretty friendly if you post stuff in the right place. There are smart folks here too, though. You're probably going to get the same initial answers to questions here, but if we get stumped that might be a place to go.

Thanks!

From a starting point I'm going to find the service manuals, replace the belt and start cleaning up the contacts on the Garrard.

I did test it this morning (without a receiver/speakers plugged into it) and it seems to work fairly well. The Auto feature drops the arm right in the center of the Vinyl though and from initial searches it could be just a matter of cleaning all the contacts and lubricating everything.

I'm going to find a place to pick up all the maintenance oils and sprays I need and start from there.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

m.hache posted:

Thanks!

From a starting point I'm going to find the service manuals, replace the belt and start cleaning up the contacts on the Garrard.

I did test it this morning (without a receiver/speakers plugged into it) and it seems to work fairly well. The Auto feature drops the arm right in the center of the Vinyl though and from initial searches it could be just a matter of cleaning all the contacts and lubricating everything.

I'm going to find a place to pick up all the maintenance oils and sprays I need and start from there.

Vinyl Engine has lots of manuals. You have to sign up to see them but it's free.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

m.hache posted:

Thanks!

I had a Sansui that did this. It ended up having a button to choose record size. When it was pushed for a 7" record it would drop in the middle of a 12" record. Maybe yours has something similar?

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

wolfbiker posted:

I had a Sansui that did this. It ended up having a button to choose record size. When it was pushed for a 7" record it would drop in the middle of a 12" record. Maybe yours has something similar?

I tried testing this (You can see the Garrard in the pictures I posted earlier). It was originally set for 45/7. I changed it to 33/12 and it still had that problem which leads me to believe either a contact problem or maybe a belt?

He had mentioned that the belt needed to be replaced. I just assumed it would have been missing the belt but it's there. What sort of symptoms would I look for to diagnose a belt? I just figured it wouldn't turn.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no

m.hache posted:

I tried testing this (You can see the Garrard in the pictures I posted earlier). It was originally set for 45/7. I changed it to 33/12 and it still had that problem which leads me to believe either a contact problem or maybe a belt?

He had mentioned that the belt needed to be replaced. I just assumed it would have been missing the belt but it's there. What sort of symptoms would I look for to diagnose a belt? I just figured it wouldn't turn.

Other than not spinning, the next biggest symptom I would look for is speed variation. If the platter can't maintain a consistent RPM, I'd look at the belt to ensure its not stretched out and loose or some how warped from sitting. Also make sure it's rubbery and not brittle or sticky to the touch. (This is all ignoring that the seller could have simply meant "it's old and needs to be replaced sooner rather than later." But still good to check.)

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Started to take apart the SL-23.

First thing that jumps out, no belt. It's also missing the Stylus needle. It's got a brand new head from the looks of it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TURNTABLE-STYLUS-NEEDLE-FOR-Technics-SL-23-SL-B2-SL-B2-SLB2-EPS-74STSD-697-/351077808402

Something like this would work?

I'm wondering if that's all it will take to get it going.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
What cartridge does it have?

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Yeah you're missing the entire headshell which you'll need to replace. Also you can't access much from the top besides the belt. You'll need to take the bottom off to troubleshoot further if necessary. You'll need a new belt first to determine if it's spinning reliably

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

BANME.sh posted:

Yeah you're missing the entire headshell which you'll need to replace. Also you can't access much from the top besides the belt. You'll need to take the bottom off to troubleshoot further if necessary. You'll need a new belt first to determine if it's spinning reliably

I have a new headshell it just appears to be missing the stylus.

m.hache fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Nov 16, 2016

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Looks like you're missing the cartridge as well

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Yeah that's only the headshell. You need the cartridge (the thing the wires on the headshell attach to) and the stylus (needle) which attaches to the cartridge.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

You also only have two of the four headshell wires that connect the headshell to the cartridge. There should be four of them.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Yes, that's right. Good catch.

You're running into the same problem I did when I bought a few $10 record players. You end up having to spend $20 on the headshell, $20 on the belt, and $60 on the cartridge just for the parts so it will function properly. Then you actually have to figure out what's wrong with it (if anything) to get it running. I ended up just unloading the two broken turntables as-is after I realized I had no idea what I was doing and didn't want to sink money into them.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

wolfbiker posted:

You're running into the same problem I did when I bought a few $10 record players. You end up having to spend $20 on the headshell, $20 on the belt, and $60 on the cartridge just for the parts so it will function properly. Then you actually have to figure out what's wrong with it (if anything) to get it running. I ended up just unloading the two broken turntables as-is after I realized I had no idea what I was doing and didn't want to sink money into them.

Hm. I may just sell them all off and keep the Garrard. That one seems to at least work. It just may need a cleaning and a belt at best.

Thanks for the insight.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

wolfbiker posted:

Forgive the double post.

You mentioned you were local earlier. Did you want the Marantz, SL-220 and the JVC? You can take them for free since I got them for free, otherwise I'm going to do a cheap Kijiji post for As is, give it a few weeks then just e-waste them.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
No thank you, but thanks for the offer. I'm done messing with broken turntables. :) You should be able to sell them for $10 or $20 pretty quickly. Someone will want them.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

wolfbiker posted:

No thank you, but thanks for the offer. I'm done messing with broken turntables. :) You should be able to sell them for $10 or $20 pretty quickly. Someone will want them.

Sounds good.

Offer open to anyone else local in the thread. I'm heading out for a vacation in a week so I'll list them after I return.

Another potentially stupid question: Recommendations for speaker wire? I know going into a store is a complete pitfall (Monster cables gold plated for optimum sound!) so is there anything special I should look out for? Cable runs will be under 10ft.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

m.hache posted:

Sounds good.

Offer open to anyone else local in the thread. I'm heading out for a vacation in a week so I'll list them after I return.

Another potentially stupid question: Recommendations for speaker wire? I know going into a store is a complete pitfall (Monster cables gold plated for optimum sound!) so is there anything special I should look out for? Cable runs will be under 10ft.

Literally anything is fine. 16 gauge is all you need for a 10' run. Get whatever's cheap. Or cut the ends off old RCA cables even.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

BigFactory posted:

Literally anything is fine. 16 gauge is all you need for a 10' run. Get whatever's cheap. Or cut the ends off old RCA cables even.

Thought as much!

Going to get some Deoxit and cabling during my lunch break, then I'll start researching the best way to clean up this Garrard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
So I just realized I bought Deoxit D5. Is this going to be a problem?

Is the Deoxit only to be used on my receiver? or can I also use it on my turntable. All the guides I'm finding just seem to use it on the receivers.

I feel like this is a stupid question but I don't want to ruin my only working Turntable.