Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Evil Mastermind posted:

ProTip: If you're playing Regrowth and are deep-diving to get pearls, don't bring ANYTHING along. Because if you die underwater, then odds are you won't be able to break your loving grave because stuff breaks so slowly underwater you won't be able to break your grave and get your poo poo back before you drown again!

:argh:

"/gamerule keepInventory true" for lyfe yo!

What's the best way of putting a ratio of items in a different location?

I'm playing PO2 and I'd really like say 1/4 of my iron input to go to steel production but I have no idea how to tell it to send every 4th block to a different location.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Evil Mastermind posted:

ProTip: If you're playing Regrowth and are deep-diving to get pearls, don't bring ANYTHING along. Because if you die underwater, then odds are you won't be able to break your loving grave because stuff breaks so slowly underwater you won't be able to break your grave and get your poo poo back before you drown again!

Sounds like you need two fenceposts.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

not play with keepinventory on always sounds like a pain

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I managed to get my stuff back via making a new pickaxe, but man that was an unnecessary pain the rear end.

What's even more annoying is that gravestones don't seem to actually do anything except take up inventory/chest space. You can't even place the drat things...unless you just can't place them on the cracked sand.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Evil Mastermind posted:

Is there a reason you can't place torches to refresh your breath meter? Never played regrowth, legit question.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'm pretty sure that the version of regrowth i have has the botnaia water breathing ring with some sort of bug where the breath is infinite (well it goes down to 0 but you dont lose any life)

Or, just fill up a mana tablet and put it on. So there is always ways to get your stuff back.

(but the first thing you do in any modpack is hit esc, go to lan, yes to cheats, /KeepInventory True, enter, /MobGriefing False enter.)

Oh another pro tip for regrowth (ie, i was sooooooooooo stupid)

When you get the ability to make maps, make one that is max zoomed out. That way when you go exploring for nodes and stuff you still know where your base is...........
(I think it took me about 4-5 hours rl to find my base because im geographically challenged)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Khorne posted:

Is there a reason you can't place torches to refresh your breath meter? Never played regrowth, legit question.

Because I didn't know you could do that?

Meskhenet posted:

When you get the ability to make maps, make one that is max zoomed out. That way when you go exploring for nodes and stuff you still know where your base is...........
(I think it took me about 4-5 hours rl to find my base because im geographically challenged)
I just write the coordinates on a piece of paper, myself.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
I put Journeymap into the mod list because I'm both lazy and geographically challenged.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Minecraft without map mods isn't worth playing.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

So since CoFHCore isn't a thing anymore, what is the alternative oregen wise? Particularly the ability to override vanilla gen.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Doors are my preferred method of going underwater, they automatically make a 2-high pocket of air.

I've set up a mob grinder in Project Ozone 2, and holy poo poo is there a mass storage or automatic open-and-sort option for loot bags? I've had the thing running for about 10 minutes now and I already feel like voiding everything lower than epic.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Mr. Peepers posted:

Doors are my preferred method of going underwater, they automatically make a 2-high pocket of air.

I've set up a mob grinder in Project Ozone 2, and holy poo poo is there a mass storage or automatic open-and-sort option for loot bags? I've had the thing running for about 10 minutes now and I already feel like voiding everything lower than epic.

If you shift-right click a loot bag on a chest, it'll dump the contents from the bag into the chest, which you can then sort and process at your leisure. You can also use an autonomous activator do the open-into-chest step once you're in the end game phase of sorting your junk.

Edit: Auto-fill from your inventory is a Godsend for this step, to keep popping fresh bags into your hands. Don't click too fast or auto-fill freaks out though.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Mr. Peepers posted:

Especially with Agricraft and Magic Crops, there's almost nothing worth keeping in the bags anyway. I usually just keep the ingots, maybe botania stuff, and dump the rest. I stand near the edge and chuck off the half-empty bags.
But yeah, there came a point where it wasn't worth it. If you did want to automate it, you can use an Autonomous Activator being fed loot bags and simulating right clicks, I think? That's what the guide says, but I don't really know how you'd then empty them once opened?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Vib Rib posted:

But yeah, there came a point where it wasn't worth it. If you did want to automate it, you can use an Autonomous Activator being fed loot bags and simulating right clicks, I think? That's what the guide says, but I don't really know how you'd then empty them once opened?

Per my post, you point the Autonomous Activator at a chest, and then use your system of choice to sort.

I typically just use a nice big chest, fill it up with my loot bag contents, then look in the chest, hit sort once, and grab anything I need like Ender Pearls if I'm early game, or whatever. Then I have a servo and itemduct that just dumps the entire chest into a trash can that I turn on with a lever. Just make sure to turn it off before you start emptying loot bags again.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Thanks. 95% of the bags are junk but I'd like to grab some stuff that's otherwise hard to come by so far (ender pearls and seeds) or that sounds like it might be important in the future (specter iron?).

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Black Pants posted:

I'd just like to say that the Mekanism v9 turbine generator is awesome. BR turbines have a very hard limit of 28k rf/t (by default config) using the maximum of 80 blades/32 ludicrite blocks for coils. AdvGen gas turbines also have a maximum of 25k rf/t. Which means between that and going for the Mekanism fusion reactor/Draconic Evolution nonsense, your only recourse is just making more of them.

Mekanism turbines, however, output power based on how much steam you put into them with an efficiency that is determined by the number of blades/coils, but with a cap that's basically impossible to reach. I've currently got the kind of BR actively cooled reactor I use for BR turbines, a 7x7x3 external dimension reactor with 8 fuel rods, efficiently outputting about 2.1 b/t. This, feeding into a mid-sized Mekanism turbine (8 blades, something like 5x5x10) is outputting 25k rf/t, without the need for ludicrite blocks or anything. All I'd need to do to up my power is add layers to my reactor to increase its output, because as it is it's maximum output is 1.64 MRF/t.

Unfortunately making sufficient steam for it outside of a BR reactor/actively cooled Mekanism fusion reactor is a bit of a pain in the rear end. Huuuuge thermoelectric steam boiler with fuelwood heat generators piped onto it burning coal. :effort:

So, I know this is from a few months ago, but I wanted to quote and reply because I took this idea a bit to what I feel is it's logical conclusion today on the DPT server. Lemme just cross post that here:

neogeo0823 posted:

So, i've been working on a small project over the last couple of days. I need to finish the decorative side of it, but I've got everything functioning, so I might as well show it off now.

So, we start off with something I'm sure a lot of you are familiar with, the production chain for a Mekanism fusion reactor! Pretty simple stuff, no big deal here. The fuel gets made, stored, and them pumped to...

... Your standard fusion reactor. Ok, this is bland, right? Yeah, it's bland. Everyone and their mother has one of these.

Well, hold on, let's at least check out the stats on it.

Well, that heat is a might bit high, yeah.

Ok, that's some decent power coming out of that, sure. Fair's fair.

Uh, wait, what? How the hell are you making that much steam? That shouldn't even be possible.

What the poo poo? Why on earth would you ever need an ocean's worth of water? What even the heck do you have planned here?

Where even the gently caress is that much steam....

Going...?

Uh...

Holy. gently caress. Is that right that it's only at half capacity??

What do you even plan on doing with this?

Are that many conduits even necessary?

No, wait, stop, how far back does that go?

loving CHRIST!!

So what could I possibly be using all this power for, you ask? Simple, I'm making it for the server! Just as Teh Gibson is going to replace individual ME storage networks, so to will this power supply replace any and all individual power gen systems on the server. Simply grab a tesseract and dial it to channel #666, titled Commie Power, and feel free to gulp as much power as you need!

AFAICT, the 1.2mil mb/t of steam from the fusion reactor is the most that thing can put out. It eclipses the BR reactor, which IIRC, could put out a max of ~21 buckets of steam/tick. Yes, I could add a second fusion reactor and double the output of the turbine. Speaking of, the turbine is as big as can functionally be made. I could make it physically bigger, but that would just add more steam capacity, which is functionally worthless for this application. Instead, the thing is built around the maximum number of blades that can fit into the thing, which is 28. Any more than that and the multiblock won't form. The idea is that the turbine does work per blade per unit of steam. So increase blades = more work per the same unit of steam. Go blades or go home, basically.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

neogeo0823 posted:

So, I know this is from a few months ago, but I wanted to quote and reply because I took this idea a bit to what I feel is it's logical conclusion today on the DPT server. Lemme just cross post that here:

AFAICT, the 1.2mil mb/t of steam from the fusion reactor is the most that thing can put out. It eclipses the BR reactor, which IIRC, could put out a max of ~21 buckets of steam/tick. Yes, I could add a second fusion reactor and double the output of the turbine. Speaking of, the turbine is as big as can functionally be made. I could make it physically bigger, but that would just add more steam capacity, which is functionally worthless for this application. Instead, the thing is built around the maximum number of blades that can fit into the thing, which is 28. Any more than that and the multiblock won't form. The idea is that the turbine does work per blade per unit of steam. So increase blades = more work per the same unit of steam. Go blades or go home, basically.

Clearly, your next project has to be a machine that can use /all/ of that power.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
In Blightfall, where is the research for certus quartz alchemy? I thought there was an actual entry for it, but I am struggling to find where in the book it is hiding.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

I restarted blightfall, was set on not cheating at all.

Started in delta, dug out a huge section under my base.

Used 3 of the 5 silver ingots i had to make a pick to get the 3 gold ore i found.

Toss them into the smelter

(That already has 72 ingots of iron in it)

Debate what casts need to be made first, finally make up my mind.

Head outside to the smelter to find 12 ingot so of amegwhateverthefuckitis and iron...........

ffs....

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

In Blightfall, where is the research for certus quartz alchemy? I thought there was an actual entry for it, but I am struggling to find where in the book it is hiding.

Alchemical duplication?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Meskhenet posted:

I restarted blightfall, was set on not cheating at all.

Started in delta, dug out a huge section under my base.

Used 3 of the 5 silver ingots i had to make a pick to get the 3 gold ore i found.

Toss them into the smelter

(That already has 72 ingots of iron in it)

Debate what casts need to be made first, finally make up my mind.

Head outside to the smelter to find 12 ingot so of amegwhateverthefuckitis and iron...........

ffs....

Angmallen exists solely to cause suffering and is easily the shittiest thing in Metallurgy, a mod packed with lovely things.

I appreciate what Blightfall was going for with the new, location specific metals (location specific metals is actually good and cool), but there's no reason to grab any of them outside of quests and they're generally just a pain in the rear end. I'd much rather Metallurgy get dumped and just had a couple iron rich biomes, a couple gold rich biomes, a copper rich biome, a tin rich biome, etc etc.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Top left corner of the Thaumic Energistics tab?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Wolpertinger posted:

Clearly, your next project has to be a machine that can use /all/ of that power.

It's actually not really that hard. Technomancy mana fabricators eat 1mil rf/t each. Probably the same for blood fabricators.

Nice to see the commie power addition, neo. That's only ... 7 times the output of the plain reactor I have on indy island...

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Wolpertinger posted:

Just 10 Laser Drills

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
Regarding Project Ozone 2, whoever said to open Chance Cubes in the Nether wasn't exaggerating. My base was chunks away, but it was still completely wiped out.

I can understand blowing up a chunk or two, but that far? No thanks. Think I'm done with this pack -- tried to alt-f4 when I saw how far it was going, but I got caught by the autosave I guess because there's just nothing left.

gently caress Chance Cubes.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Regarding Project Ozone 2, whoever said to open Chance Cubes in the Nether wasn't exaggerating. My base was chunks away, but it was still completely wiped out.

I can understand blowing up a chunk or two, but that far? No thanks. Think I'm done with this pack -- tried to alt-f4 when I saw how far it was going, but I got caught by the autosave I guess because there's just nothing left.

mine crashed when I got that message, which stopped the process, so I just never opened another chance cube.

It doesn't help that everything I'd gotten out of one was negative though.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
What did the chance cube do? I've only seen maybe a tnt bomb and source lava as the "bad" things.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Sage Grimm posted:

What did the chance cube do? I've only seen maybe a tnt bomb and source lava as the "bad" things.

I think it detonates a Redmatter explosive, that disappears a truly ridiculous radius, including obliterating bedrock.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Why in the gently caress would that ever be a good gameplay mechanic and what even justifies that risk

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Anyone had an issue with squid not spawning in your world? I'm using Hermitpack. Someone on my server explored many thousands of blocks and noticed that we are not getting any squids spawning. Cursory googling doesn't come up with much so I'm curious if anyone else has run into this problem before?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Yeah I had that happen to me in a 1.7 modpack with that silly "all monsters we added are blocky anime girls!" mod. I suspect they were getting pushed out by the neutral spawns from that. I ended up adding a spawn block for squid in a lake nearby.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

D34THROW posted:

Why in the gently caress would that ever be a good gameplay mechanic and what even justifies that risk

A gambling addiction.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

D34THROW posted:

Chance cubes exist solely to have minecraft superstars scream about them on their youtube channels.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Kraven Moorhed posted:

The mod author made a post on reddit about this, he basically said that the base chance cubes more often than not gives nice rewards and the PO2 pack creator configed in all the evil poo poo so please stop sending abusive messages about bases being wiped out.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Mzbundifund posted:

Chance cubes exist solely to have minecraft superstars scream about them on their youtube channels.

I like listening to Jon Bams scream when the script for his donations auto-places a lucky block next to his ME system :shobon:

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

AceClown posted:

The mod author made a post on reddit about this, he basically said that the base chance cubes more often than not gives nice rewards and the PO2 pack creator configed in all the evil poo poo so please stop sending abusive messages about bases being wiped out.

yeah, the worst I've seen chance cubes do outside of PO2 was kill you with a bunch of TNT or spawn a bunch of lava around you, none of this "massive redmatter explosion" BS

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Devor posted:

I like listening to Jon Bams scream when the script for his donations auto-places a lucky block next to his ME system :shobon:

link?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

I can't find recent stuff, but this gives you an idea of his schtick. He's obviously laying it on, but I enjoy it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R06b-IKpehg

His current world donations make sheep instead of lucky blocks since he's doing final testing, but the previous iterations do a lucky block on a 10-second timer, except on Sundays when it's 0-delay.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

AceClown posted:

Yeah, minor negatives (lava spawning, hostile mobs, even a loving invisible ghast) are one thing, but so many packs add huge constructs (including empty space blocks) that will just overwrite anything nearby with no block checking whatsoever. I accidentally put one down in my base and thought if I broke it in creative it wouldn't trigger. Instead it overwrote all nearby blocks in a 3-block radius and destroyed most of my main chests. Thanks.

I've never gotten anything really worthwhile out of them, either. At absolute best (with the +luck amulets you can craft for a loving ridiculous price) I've gotten some enchanting tables and beacons. That's the best case scenario. Those aren't even useful, unless you're using a pack with EE2 and can scrap them for EMC, and even then you probably have better and less risky methods by that point.
Chance cubes are poo poo and in almost no pack I've ever used have they been worth opening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Vib Rib posted:

Yeah, minor negatives (lava spawning, hostile mobs, even a loving invisible ghast) are one thing, but so many packs add huge constructs (including empty space blocks) that will just overwrite anything nearby with no block checking whatsoever. I accidentally put one down in my base and thought if I broke it in creative it wouldn't trigger. Instead it overwrote all nearby blocks in a 3-block radius and destroyed most of my main chests. Thanks.

I've never gotten anything really worthwhile out of them, either. At absolute best (with the +luck amulets you can craft for a loving ridiculous price) I've gotten some enchanting tables and beacons. That's the best case scenario. Those aren't even useful, unless you're using a pack with EE2 and can scrap them for EMC, and even then you probably have better and less risky methods by that point.
Chance cubes are poo poo and in almost no pack I've ever used have they been worth opening.

The Cardboard Box in Project Ozone 2 (or that some guy maybe added the mod for to his installation? not sure if it's in by default) lets you get rid of a chance cube without breaking it.