Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ketchup vs catsup posted:

A couple years ago I realized the number of people I trusted to teach me board games was vanishingly small. like approaching 1: me.

You trust yourself? Seems like hopeless optimism to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

al-azad posted:

So in light of recent news with China warning the U.S that iPhone sales would plummet, I was discussing with my friend that a once proposed 45% tariff on Chinese manufactured goods would basically kill the board game industry in America.

Dark times ahead.

Ludofact built their US plant just in time it seems.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

For all but the most simplistic game I dive right in and take over people's turns, explaining the actions I'm taking and why. I just can't parse anything from 30 minutes of paraphrasing.

djfooboo posted:

Ludofact built their US plant just in time it seems.

Mostly it'd be ANA/FFG hit the hardest. I can't think of a single product of theirs that doesn't say "made in China". I'm noticing more Singaporean printings in recent years.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

GrandpaPants posted:

Holy poo poo none of this was mentioned, especially the parts about everyone scoring for the parchment port and the free port. He didn't even mention that wood could be used to reroll in fights and fish could be used for +1 move, but I at least had the foresight to read the player aid.

Christ.

Well, the game definitely deserves another try, as I really liked the art and it seemed like there was the DNA of something that was at least playable. Unfortunately, I think that that experience soured everyone on the game, which I think is a valuable lesson overall. If you want people to play and enjoy your games enough to want to play it again, don't gently caress up the rules explanation. Missing a few rules here and there on first play is okay, but clearly what I played was like 60% what the rules actually were, and you can definitely, definitely tell.

I got this when it came out and did a blind playthrough with four friends that took about 2 1/2 hours but we all had a blast. I really like it and think that it would check off a lot of boxes with our friends but for some reason I just keep defaulting to games like Istanbul and Viticulture. If I recall correctly, there is no limit to the amount of crew members you can get and some of them are really good, so it's worth just grabbing them constantly. I think I either won or finished a close second by going the diplomatic route.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

My copy of Scythe has shipped :toot:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

FulsomFrank posted:

I got this when it came out and did a blind playthrough with four friends that took about 2 1/2 hours but we all had a blast. I really like it and think that it would check off a lot of boxes with our friends but for some reason I just keep defaulting to games like Istanbul and Viticulture. If I recall correctly, there is no limit to the amount of crew members you can get and some of them are really good, so it's worth just grabbing them constantly. I think I either won or finished a close second by going the diplomatic route.

I'm not sure how true that actually is. Grabbing a crew member is your entire turn, barring any conquest or luck with mission disks. It's worth getting like two or three more, but beyond that I don't think you'll get to the payoff in time.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Glazius posted:

I'm not sure how true that actually is. Grabbing a crew member is your entire turn, barring any conquest or luck with mission disks. It's worth getting like two or three more, but beyond that I don't think you'll get to the payoff in time.

You're probably right and it was months ago when we played but it felt like all my opponents didn't go out of their way to get more crew but if they were in the area they always grabbed one which lent them a bunch more flexibility with their moves and actions. It might not though in a game with veterans that are doing hard cost/benefit analyses.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

al-azad posted:

Mostly it'd be ANA/FFG hit the hardest. I can't think of a single product of theirs that doesn't say "made in China". I'm noticing more Singaporean printings in recent years.

Yeah, maybe. Given how many KS publishers I know use Panda (which is Chinese), it's going to be brutal throughout the boardgame food chain, not just the top.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
the rise of boardgame antitrumpers is going to be the funniest thing in the world.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Impermanent posted:

the rise of boardgame antitrumpers is going to be the funniest thing in the world.

shut up

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Thanks for the reviews. I like (the gameplay anyway) of Mombasa, I may have to grab it -- $40 seems like a pretty good price point for that much game.

Oh and if anyone was still looking for a copy Cardhaus has A Feast for Odin back in stock, and it looks like they're limiting it to 1 per customer: http://www.cardhaus.com/catalog/board_games-preorder_board_games/a_feast_for_odin/391803

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Finally grabbed Pandemic Legacy. How is it as a 2 player game? I would rather just play it with my wife so I don't have to schedule times to play it with other people.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Rad Valtar posted:

Finally grabbed Pandemic Legacy. How is it as a 2 player game? I would rather just play it with my wife so I don't have to schedule times to play it with other people.

It's wonderful 2 player. My wife and I played it that way over the course of a month or so, and it's easily our favorite gaming experience together.

You can play one character each, one person playing as two characters, or both of you playing as two. We played all three ways and found one each to be a touch too easy but both of us playing two each got a little confusing.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

T-Bone posted:

Thanks for the reviews. I like (the gameplay anyway) of Mombasa, I may have to grab it -- $40 seems like a pretty good price point for that much game.

Oh and if anyone was still looking for a copy Cardhaus has A Feast for Odin back in stock, and it looks like they're limiting it to 1 per customer: http://www.cardhaus.com/catalog/board_games-preorder_board_games/a_feast_for_odin/391803

Thanks for the tip on that!

edit: Actually, hold off on buying from Cardhaus. I bought from them and I don't see that their inventory has gone down at all. My suspicion is that they're doing something similar to Funagain where they're listing a copy to be bought but don't actually have any stock in place. I just sent them an email inquiring as to whether they have any stock CURRENTLY and asking for a refund if the answer is no.

Memnaelar fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 14, 2016

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

It is, though. The funniest thing will be affluent whites who voted for trump overlooking his racism, sexism etc. like I'm sure the whole Vasel family did suddenly making sad faces because their meeples are more expensive now. I don't want to derail this into actual political chatter but c'mon. That's ironic as hell.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Memnaelar posted:

Thanks for the tip on that!

edit: Actually, hold off on buying from Cardhaus. I bought from them and I don't see that their inventory has gone down at all. My suspicion is that they're doing something similar to Funagain where they're listing a copy to be bought but don't actually have any stock in place. I just sent them an email inquiring as to whether they have any stock CURRENTLY and asking for a refund if the answer is no.

They already shipped mine so I'm pretty sure they're just limiting to one per customer they do that a lot with high demand stuff.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Don't worry, only colored meeples will have trouble being shipped into the country.

Anyway, I'm considering getting the Arkham LCG, but drat if I know where to find a review source that isn't some weirdo in his basement with a $40 camera.

Really though are there any good review sites for board games? Everything I find is people sitting in front of a camera (and shelves of board games, of course, muddying up the visuals) with poorly-worded explanations of their opinions. There's SU&SD, of course, and even when I disagree with their opinions I like their reviews. Any other good sources for this?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

T-Bone posted:

Just to clarify for anyone getting the game soon remember you can upgrade cows and sheep and also eat them. They are not stuck in your little barn slots. This little foible took my group two games to remember.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

T-Bone posted:

They already shipped mine so I'm pretty sure they're just limiting to one per customer they do that a lot with high demand stuff.

Yeah, I'll update as to whether I get a shipping notice or not (or a response to my email). I know they've got a fairly good rep (first time order from them, have mostly been a CSI guy) but got a little spooked when there didn't seem to be any sort of inventory shift.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Impermanent posted:

Just to clarify for anyone getting the game soon remember you can upgrade cows and sheep and also eat them. They are not stuck in your little barn slots. This little foible took my group two games to remember.

I mean, they're red cardboard. Everybody knows red cardboard turns into green cardboard. ;-)

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Impermanent posted:

Yeah, anything can be upgraded - the only rule is that the newly-upgraded tile must have the same dimensions as the old one. Forgot that you could eat them though!

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

If you are eating animals you have royally hosed up.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Impermanent posted:

It is, though. The funniest thing will be affluent whites who voted for trump overlooking his racism, sexism etc. like I'm sure the whole Vasel family did suddenly making sad faces because their meeples are more expensive now. I don't want to derail this into actual political chatter but c'mon. That's ironic as hell.

Shut up

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Durendal posted:

If you are eating animals you have royally hosed up.

yeah, but you can. It's more about converting them though.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Sirlin is branching out into consoles.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I think the gotcha with red tile animals is that normally once a tile is placed on your board you can no longer move it/use it/etc. Animals in their pens is sort of an exception to that. They're on your home board but kinda act like they're in your supply.

It's a gotcha but a minor one.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

This doesn't look that great. The niche he's trying to fill has been filled by DiveKick in my opinion. I'm trying to tell myself it would be worth a look at $10, and I can't even do that.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
That looks so terrible and unoriginal. He should stick to cardboard.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

T-Bone posted:

I'm seriously debating purchasing this just so I can have the option to play it without a $200 pricetag. I'm still on the fence though...

I really enjoy very complicated games, which AFfO seems to be, but did I just misread or are people already finding slight issues with some of the rules in it? Basically, should I purchase this beast now or possibly wait for another edition? It's playable as a 1-person game, right? Somebody just yell at me to buy it so I can bite the bullet and do it...!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Shadow225 posted:

This doesn't look that great. The niche he's trying to fill has been filled by DiveKick in my opinion. I'm trying to tell myself it would be worth a look at $10, and I can't even do that.

i dont think it looks good but I also dont think it really shares a niche with Divekick at all - this is ostensibly an actual fighting game with like combos and mechanics, divekick is just Samurai Kirby with different characters e: and bad memes

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Ecch....... I mean, the idea is alright, but the graphics and animation are awful right now.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Johnny Truant posted:

I'm seriously debating purchasing this just so I can have the option to play it without a $200 pricetag. I'm still on the fence though...

I really enjoy very complicated games, which AFfO seems to be, but did I just misread or are people already finding slight issues with some of the rules in it? Basically, should I purchase this beast now or possibly wait for another edition? It's playable as a 1-person game, right? Somebody just yell at me to buy it so I can bite the bullet and do it...!

It's actually very good.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Seems like a bad idea since unlike most board game companies, video game companies have the resources and inclination to sue him when he inevitably rips them off

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Guy A. Person posted:

Seems like a bad idea since unlike most board game companies, video game companies have the resources and inclination to sue him when he inevitably rips them off

nah, no one cares about fighting games anymore

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Johnny Truant posted:

None of the misprints are deal-breakers. One item is out of place on the crafting board (but easily recognizable as such) and the rulebook has a few typos, but it's entirely playable. Everyone who plays it single-player (which it supports) seems to have a really great time doing so. I've played it three times multiplayer and am looking forward to singling it at home.

So, yeah.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Impermanent posted:

It's actually very good.

Oh I haven't heard anything contrary to that, just trying to figure out what I read previously about there possibly being some typos or something with it.

Memnaelar posted:

None of the misprints are deal-breakers. One item is out of place on the crafting board (but easily recognizable as such) and the rulebook has a few typos, but it's entirely playable. Everyone who plays it single-player (which it supports) seems to have a really great time doing so. I've played it three times multiplayer and am looking forward to singling it at home.

So, yeah.

Alright so you and Impermanent have pretty much sold me on buying this ASAP so I'm not torn between waiting or dropping two bills on it.

Semi-related followup question: Should I get into Agricola before AFfO? Should I just bite the bullet on this then get into Agricola later? Basically, make all my boardgame decisions for me, goons!

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Johnny Truant posted:

Semi-related followup question: Should I get into Agricola before AFfO? Should I just bite the bullet on this then get into Agricola later? Basically, make all my boardgame decisions for me, goons!

I like AFFO better, but they're a little apples-and-oranges. AFFO gives all players equal workers throughout the game, whereas Agricola has you compete for the opportunity to get more workers. It's *very* rare that I love WP games that give you extra workers in asymmetric fashion (Argent and Dominant Species are the only two examples I can think of). AFFO also just has different things going on - it's less resource-tight than Agricola and has a spatial placement puzzle that Agricola doesn't have. I think it's the more interesting design for my taste, but I'd suggest watching gameplay of both online and seeing if Agricola appeals more to yours.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Johnny Truant posted:

Semi-related followup question: Should I get into Agricola before AFfO?

They are very different games and it really depends on how much you like visual-spatial puzzles. Odin has them and Agricola doesn't. I might be wrong, but I think there's going to be a big print of something like "tournament edition" agricola next year so you're probably better off waiting.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Memnaelar posted:

but I'd suggest watching gameplay of both online and seeing if Agricola appeals more to yours.

Huh, I did not even think to do this. Thanks for the tip! Gonna do this tonight.

Think y'all have sold me on AFfO, but dang I was about to pull the trigger on Tokkaido and Takenoko, guess they've gotta wait a little bit now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Big McHuge posted:

Sunday Trip Report:

Mystic Vale had a neat gimmick, but in the end it's just another market-row deckbuilder with all those associated problems. I also think it could get same-y after a short while, as I would imagine you run through the same tier 1 and tier 2 cards every game. The push-your-luck mechanism wasn't terrible, but a few times late in the game I was forced to use it, and that didn't feel good from a design perspective.

All of these criticisms are valid but I really feel like the speed of play more than makes up for these shortcomings, personally. Turns just fly by and I want that more than anything really.