Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

1337JiveTurkey posted:

Based on social media, they're going to be blaming The Jews instead.

In our post-factual world, literally every branch of government being controlled by one party makes all problems automatically the Jews fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

BarbarianElephant posted:

This is more like your ship being captured by pirates. The pirates did it. Blame the pirates. Maybe your ship should have had more security, but it was not your ship that pillaged itself.

Yes, the pirates being the neoliberals we let head the party since 2010.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Mister Adequate posted:

Hilary Clinton got the third-highest number of votes in any Presidential election ever. I realize there's only so far back that is a meaningful statistic, but it's really hard to pin the blame on her and the Dems when 130,000 voters would have made it go the other way. That's like 0.1% of the voting public, it's such a tiny number and proportion that it wouldn't even register as a statistical error.

Hillary was basically a comperable candidate to Kerry and Gore. She wasn't a Dukakis, Mondale, or Carter. She was an average candidate.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Zikan posted:

us poo poo-posting goons in c-spam put this together

http://www.glyphgryph.com/index.html

This is cool.
I don't know if I really want to oust state leadership over this, but it wouldn't hurt to put up a threat unless they vote for him.

Gotta figure out who all the other people are, they certainly don't make it transparent.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Additionally I'm very excited for when the stock market realizes that the increased volatility in everything outweighs their regulatory decreases and crashes big league, Trump and Republicans claim that they aren't in power and it is the Democrats fault.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Crowsbeak posted:

nah, Pirates historically practiced equitable distribution of wealth

Ha ha ha little nautical history humor for ya there folks

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Mister Adequate posted:

Hilary Clinton got the third-highest number of votes in any Presidential election ever. I realize there's only so far back that is a meaningful statistic, but it's really hard to pin the blame on her and the Dems when 130,000 voters would have made it go the other way. That's like 0.1% of the voting public, it's such a tiny number and proportion that it wouldn't even register as a statistical error.

For comparison, that's the population equivalent of Cedar Rapids, Iowa or Visalia, California.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Crowsbeak posted:

The Clintons and their cadre have been the most significant faction in determining the course of the DNC since 1992.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Radbot posted:

Good, glad to hear that smug, effete liberals (you're not a "left winger")

:lol:

quote:

don't like gay marriage, abortion rights, or climate change regulation and that you won't be hurt by changes to any of that.

Oh, they will be, but you're deliberately missing my point: the white working class are going to suffer more from a Trump presidency than "effete white liberals" or whatever you want to call them. So voting for Trump as a means of saying "gently caress you" to them was a pretty loving stupid thing to do.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Stereotype posted:

Additionally I'm very excited for when the stock market realizes that the increased volatility in everything outweighs their regulatory decreases and crashes big league, Trump and Republicans claim that they aren't in power and it is the Democrats fault.

Yeah and besides the middle class idiots who watch fox news who will beleive them while they starve?

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

The Clintons and their cadre have been the most significant faction in determining the course of the DNC since 1992.

Well they got kicked out in 04, but then retook it after the 2008 election.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Why anybody would expect Matty Yglesias to be an empathetic or perceptive voice for the downtrodden I'll never understand.

Business Gorillas posted:

The corporate media refuses to acknowledge that economic issues might need to be addressed well I never :eyepop:

I really truly thought for a few days that after losing in such an overwhelmingly embarrassing way, with such catastrophic consequences, would have made some of them take step back and at least say "I was wrong." But now I can see I'm a naive idiot.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Crowsbeak posted:

Well they got kicked out in 04, but then retook it after the 2008 election.

That was Obama, not Clinton. The Dems won in spite of the Clintons, not because of them. Clinton got primary'd, remember?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

They kinda retook it during the 2008 election, I don't wanna give Obama a pass for being so much less energetic a negotiator than he was a campaigner but there's a reason that following his landslide the Democratic supermajority didn't get much done except pass the Heritage Foundation's health plan, which substantially resembled what Clinton had run on (and Obama against) in the primary. The Clintons can't do much to fix the popular vote (as should be pretty clear by now) but their command of the party's upper ranks was pretty total for a good, long time.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Nov 14, 2016

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Majorian posted:

:lol:

Oh, they will be, but you're deliberately missing my point: the white working class are going to suffer more from a Trump presidency than "effete white liberals" or whatever you want to call them. So voting for Trump as a means of saying "gently caress you" to them was a pretty loving stupid thing to do.

Pretty much. The inaction to stop rural decay while increasing the taxes on the people suffering from rural decay will, ironically, hurt Trump supporters despite being Trump's policy. We will hurt from it, but a lot of it is a minor defeat, not even a real loss in morale, while they may literally starve to death/die from diseases they could have been saved from by the ACA.

It's really sad, honestly, and they're even picking up on it already as people have started calling Trump out on his coal factory lies.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

mcmagic posted:

LOL if Rand Paul votes for Guliani or Bolton for Sec State.

I mean, that is something that Democrats need to be keeping spreadsheets of, because holy poo poo. Any GOP acquiescence with anything Trump does needs to be made so toxic that they never get elected to anything again.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Pollyanna posted:

That was Obama, not Clinton. The Dems won in spite of the Clintons, not because of them. Clinton got primary'd, remember?

While Dean was hardly a Champion of the workers, he was not the Clintons animal. Which is why he got forced out after the great victory of 08. The Clinton's have always wanted total control over the party. Time for that to end and for us to forget about their so called golden age.

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
Seeming more and more like Trump was just a Trojan horse that GOP rode inside of. Zizek was wrong.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Rip Testes posted:

Seeming more and more like Trump was just a Trojan horse that GOP rode inside of. Zizek was wrong.

wow im shocked. im shocked. electrocuted. im fuckin dead by electrical shock from this revelation.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Rip Testes posted:

Nah, Trump never wears Trojans. They're too big.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Covok posted:

Pretty much. The inaction to stop rural decay while increasing the taxes on the people suffering from rural decay will, ironically, hurt Trump supporters despite being Trump's policy. We will hurt from it, but a lot of it is a minor defeat, not even a real loss in morale, while they may literally starve to death/die from diseases they could have been saved from by the ACA.

It's really sad, honestly, and they're even picking up on it already as people have started calling Trump out on his coal factory lies.

gonna be great when that air conditioner factory trump wouldn't shut up about closes in 2019

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Right, but you have to account for population growth. The two highest are Obama and Obama, because he's Obama, but accounting for the growth since 2004 didn't she barely outperform Kerry?

Summary: Burn down the loving Electoral College, since it's decided the election against the winner of the popular vote in two of the last four elections.

Sure, as I said there's only so far back you can go and have it be meaningful, but population growth isn't that rapid. I've yet to see anyone sitting down and work out the specifics accounting for that growth though. I maintain that she would have been a loving exceptional President who got dicked over by misogynists, racists, and bullshit in the media, but smarter people than me are gonna sit down and spend an awfully long time in the halls of Dem power to figure out where this went wrong and how to avoid it in future.

For example, by burning down the loving Electoral College :v:

I am heartened to see Ellison leap into being a frontrunner, at any rate, he sounds both competent and broadly in line with my own politics (or at least the ones I hold to be reasonable to expect to implement) and I'm definitely down with the Ds saying "Yeah we might have hosed that up but we're sure as hell not turning to racism to win votes, so here, have a black Muslim DNC chair".

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

quote:

CLAY COUNTY, W.Va (WSAZ) -- Two Clay County women are under intense criticism after a Facebook post launched outrage on social media. Screenshots of the post have been shared thousands of times.

The post came from Pamela Taylor, a woman who works as the director at the Clay County Development Corporation in Clay, a non-profit organization that is funded by state and federal funds.

Following the results of the presidential election, Taylor posted the following on her Facebook page: "It will be refreshing to have a classy, beautiful, dignified First Lady in the White House. I'm tired of seeing an ape in heels."

Beverly Whaling, the Mayor of Clay, responded to the post saying "Just made my day Pam."

Now there is a petition with nearly 2,000 signatures, as of Sunday night, to have both women fired from their jobs.

Taylor's post has since been deleted and was replaced with an apology. Taylor has edited the apology in an attempt to make it "more direct and clear, and in a hope to make it less inflammatory," she tells WSAZ. She provided WSAZ with both the edited and unedited versions of the apology post. You can find the edited version by clicking on the featured link.

Taylor says she has been reprimanded at her job and is unsure whether she will be able to keep her position. She was also on Clay County's pageant festival committee but tells WSAZ she does not hold any leadership positions in pageantry.

Taylor says she is working with her attorney to file a lawsuit against individual(s) who have slandered her.

She says she is sorry for everything that has happened but says she now believes the situation has turned into a "hate crime against me."

Taylor says both she and her children have received death threats.

WSAZ has made numerous attempts to reach Mayor Whaling for comment, but those attempts have been unsuccessful so far.

Keep checking on WSAZ Mobile and WSAZ.com for the latest information.

http://www.wsaz.com/content/news/No..._medium=twitter

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Covok posted:

See, this is what I'm most curious about : What happens when Trump doesn't help the people he said he'd help? Who will they blame then? Hopefully him for lying to them, and hopefully they'll live long enough to vote against him in 2020.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

See, this is what I'm most curious about : What happens when Trump doesn't help the people he said he'd help? Who will they blame then? Hopefully him for lying to them, and hopefully they'll live long enough to vote against him in 2020.

Sweet child, you have a lot to learn. Their fake news sites will convince them the democrats/muslims/jews/Russians/etc. did it and they will learn nothing. Then, they will die in their 30s with nothing to leave behind to their deformed, malformed children.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

They kinda retook it during the 2008 election, I don't wanna give Obama a pass for being so much less energetic a negotiator than he was a campaigner but there's a reason that following his landslide the Democratic supermajority didn't get much done except pass the Heritage Foundation's health plan, which substantially resembled what Clinton had run on (and Obama against) in the primary. The Clintons can't do much to fix the popular vote (as should be pretty clear by now) but their command of the party's upper ranks was pretty total for a good, long time.

They retook it on the sly largely during the horse trading phase that led to Obama getting the nom in the first place (he actually didn't get the popular vote but it was definitely closer in 2008 than in 2016). Had that not happened I suspect we'd be looking at McCain's second term right now.

The PUMAs did way worse poo poo than the berniebros in 08.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

There was a really interesting article that explained how Congressional midterm elections are less about the actual candidates running and more like a referendum on the current President. If Trump utterly fails to keep his promises AND the economy shits itself again, which seems likely, then the Dems could have an opportunity to take back Congress in 2018.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

I don't know if you can really grade racists, but man Michelle haters would be at the very top of that scale.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

zegermans posted:

I don't know if you can really grade racists, but man Michelle haters would be at the very top of that scale.

A++ Trashmouth Bastards, Exemplary in the Field of Being Dumb as a Sack of Doorknobs

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

zegermans posted:

It's OK though, she didn't mean to be racist.

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013

zegermans posted:

:cry: I want a first lady who I'd wanna gently caress :cry:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

FourLeaf posted:

There was a really interesting article that explained how Congressional midterm elections are less about the actual candidates running and more like a referendum on the current President. If Trump utterly fails to keep his promises AND the economy shits itself again, which seems likely, then the Dems could have an opportunity to take back Congress in 2018.

Facebook, Breitbart exist. Nothing factual ever need bite Trump in the rear end ever again.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Potato Salad posted:

Facebook, Breitbart exist. Nothing factual ever need bite Trump in the rear end ever again.

Oh lol. I do love the liberals who really think that everyone is stupid and their the only ones that get the world. If things are lovely and your guy is in charge it rapidly decreaces the chances you'll turn out, which actually happened in 2006. Its also happened to the dems both in 2014, and in 2010.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Covok posted:

Sweet child, you have a lot to learn. Their fake news sites will convince them the democrats/muslims/jews/Russians/etc. did it and they will learn nothing. Then, they will die in their 30s with nothing to leave behind to their deformed, malformed children.

I'm not so sure about that. Like you said at least some of them are calling him out on lying about coal jobs, and if by 2020 there's no new jobs, no wall, and life in the Rust Belt still sucks (and possibly sucks even worse) a portion of the people are going to realize they've been used and abandoned.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

I'm not so sure about that. Like you said at least a some of them are calling him out on lying about coal jobs, and if by 2020 there's no new jobs, no wall, and life in the Rust Belt still sucks (and possibly sucks even worse) a portion of the people are going to realize they've been had used and abandoned.

this would require people admitting they were wrong and had been had, which is something people really hate to do

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

OK, I get racism, but at this point someone going down this route has to be self aware of how stupid their racism is, right?

Before I continue, let me state that I personally have no problem with Melanie's prior nude modeling.

But, diving into the mind of those dumbest white women featured in that article, they must have some metric they are measuring the first ladies with, right?

I mean, Michelle's education, her professional career as a lawyer, her time working on various kids and school programs as First Lady...

...compare that to Melanie's time as a model whose big speech was about mean Internet comments.

I mean, this is going to be the first First Lady that the nation has seen fully nude. That is by their very definition the opposite of dignified.

You would think at some point idiotic racism would meet reality but I guess not.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

boner confessor posted:

this would require people admitting they were wrong and had been had, which is something people really hate to do

They don't have to admit they're wrong, they just have to not vote for him. Which is pretty easy to do if you're feeling angry and betrayed.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Mister Adequate posted:

Hillary should have won in a blowout. She ran a shockingly bad campaign if she just barely broke even with literal HItler.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

boner confessor posted:

Yeah, part of why the rural former mill towns of the rust belt are such a pain in the rear end to reach out to. You can't just go and tell hundreds of thousands of people they got duped and have been getting duped over and over for decades by the GOP who robbed them blind for the exclusive benefit of the upper crust of the international capital class and blamed regulations, taxes, "welfare queens," and "urban youths."

There's a reason a shitton of advance fee fraud goes unreported in the consumer finance industry. Nobody wants to admit they got fooled.

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013

Crowsbeak posted:

Oh lol. I do love the liberals who really think that everyone is stupid and their the only ones that get the world. If things are lovely and your guy is in charge it rapidly decreaces the chances you'll turn out, which actually happened in 2006. Its also happened to the dems both in 2014, and in 2010.

True but at the same time it is very difficult to say what will happen for sure. The media landscape is incredibly different from what it was a decade ago or even two years ago. The right has developed the most effective propaganda machine possible in a liberal democracy I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

I'm not so sure about that. Like you said at least some of them are calling him out on lying about coal jobs, and if by 2020 there's no new jobs, no wall, and life in the Rust Belt still sucks (and possibly sucks even worse) a portion of the people are going to realize they've been used and abandoned.

Like how they turned on Reagan?

• Locked thread