Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The preview shows Bernard confronting Ford. So he didn't get the knowledge he's a bot wiped? So has this kind of murder actually happened before? Is bernard just one in a line of murderbots Ford keeps around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poopy pee pee
Feb 13, 2012

I'm a nice guy, hoping to have some fun on these forums, Lol
If the livestock guys are robots why was one of them programmed to be an rear end in a top hat

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Kinda bugged me that Dolores was in the rear during the chase. William, you idiot, keep yourself between her and the bullets.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Because the plot demands them to be dumb as gently caress.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Lycus posted:

Kinda bugged me that Dolores was in the rear during the chase. William, you idiot, keep yourself between her and the bullets.

He clearly didn't read the gamefaqs before coming to the park.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

The preview shows Bernard confronting Ford. So he didn't get the knowledge he's a bot wiped? So has this kind of murder actually happened before? Is bernard just one in a line of murderbots Ford keeps around?
Might be Ford doing his own analysis session on Bernard but his waking mind has the memory blocked?

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

I wonder who the woman who bernard was skyping a few episodes ago. Is he a copy of a real man who had a real wife? Does she think she's talking to the man she knew? Was it all just going on in his head?

Nolan can be a bit unreliable, but he mentioned how the woman basically prompted him to talk about his inner state, and he does. Could be a substitute for the host interview drill.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Lycus posted:

Though the hosts are unable to produce the amino acid lysine, and it must be supplemented in their food.

So? Humans can't synthesise lysine either, it's one of the nine essential amino acids we need to get from our diet.

quote:

The nine amino acids humans cannot synthesize are:
phenylalanine, valine, threonine, tryptophan, methionine, leucine, isoleucine, lysine and histidine

That always annoyed me about Jurassic Park; needing amino acids from your environment is something basically every animal is subject to.

Quoting myself from earlier:

Memento posted:

Is anyone keeping a record of which songs get the player piano treatment every episode?

Anyone? Not having a lot of luck googling.

Memento fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Nov 15, 2016

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Memento posted:

Anyone? Not having a lot of luck googling.

This guy seems to be keeping track, but the songs on that playlist are not the WW versions.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lycus posted:

I took it as an implication that Ford spied on them via Hector.

Ah, yeah, of course. Obvious, I just sort of forgot about it.

Goddamn is Anthony Hopkins amazing in this. I feel like they're probably going to write him out at the end of the season and I am going to miss his acting a lot.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

If Maeve is immune to the shutdown commands, I wonder, can she give commands? I have this picture in my head of her down in the room for decommissioned robots and just saying "Bring yourselves back online" to start some poo poo and launch her escape plan.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Gordon Shumway posted:

If Maeve is immune to the shutdown commands, I wonder, can she give commands? I have this picture in my head of her down in the room for decommissioned robots and just saying "Bring yourselves back online" to start some poo poo and launch her escape plan.
I would guess that hosts would only respond to commands from humans. But since we just were shown that flagging hosts as 'human' iswithin the capabilities of the staff, it's a definite possibility.

I Am A Robot
Jul 1, 2006

Hand Row posted:

I am having a hard time believing Bernard is Arnold, at least by appearances. There are absolutely no images of someone who should be rather famous, no matter what kind of hermit he was? Such an unnecessary risk for Ford to take.

Perhaps but otoh it would explain Dolores's memories of her chats with Bernard and Ford's warning to Bernard to not fall into the same trap that Arnold fell into.

It's too perfect for him not to be Arnold.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

That thing on ford's desk is still bugging the hell out of me. It's Chekhov's out of focus visually confusing sentimental artifact.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

I Am A Robot posted:

Perhaps but otoh it would explain Dolores's memories of her chats with Bernard and Ford's warning to Bernard to not fall into the same trap that Arnold fell into.

It's too perfect for him not to be Arnold.
I am on board with the BernArnold hypothesis too. It's thematically appropriate, would explain the clothed Dolores interviews, as well as the complete silence on who Arnold was/ what he looked like. Also the image with the absent person.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Ein Sexmonster posted:

I am on board with the BernArnold hypothesis too. It's thematically appropriate, would explain the clothed Dolores interviews, as well as the complete silence on who Arnold was/ what he looked like. Also the image with the absent person.

Bernard also had a weird line when he saw Ford's Dadbot asking if he was Arnold or that he looked like Arnold or something which is more evidence of the picture being something.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Megaspel posted:

If he doesn't get fired, it could be an interesting look into how the future society has progressed. We already know that rich people openly go to 'gently caress and shoot mountain' to gently caress and shoot mountains or whatever. Maybe in a world of hedonistic inhibition, no disease, and free cleaners, pissing onto a table is seen more as a whacky/douchey thing to do rather than what we would see it as today.

Megaspel calls it. Society has progressed to the point people piss and sex up the place in even when they have work mates coming over.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Tree Dude posted:

Bernard also had a weird line when he saw Ford's Dadbot asking if he was Arnold or that he looked like Arnold or something which is more evidence of the picture being something.
There's some fun parallels here too. Arnold and Ford can both be seen as the hosts' parents, as Arnold gave them life, but Ford has been managing their lives as a sort of stepfather.
Ford's modifications of his father to be more realistic, abusive and flawed is also reflective of how the viewer's understanding of Ford has evolved.

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Fooz posted:

That thing on ford's desk is still bugging the hell out of me. It's Chekhov's out of focus visually confusing sentimental artifact.

Wasn't it a bonsai tree in a glass bottle? something like that?

Ford's perfect little artificial world etc

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

El Jeffe posted:

Alright so this is the photo of Arnold that Ford showed Bernard.

Isn't that Ford's host-Father or am I face blind? Makes me wonder if Arnold is supposed to be on the right side of the photo, and he's actually a figment of Ford's imagination... A long shot, I know.

edit: HMMMMM

With all the Greek tragedy poo poo going down I'm pretty sure they're going full-on Romulus and Remus, and Arnold is Ford's brother - ford wasn't in that photo at all. Neither of the people in that photo look like a young anthony hopkins (he sort had a jack nicholsen/vigo mortenson thing going)

Argus Zant posted:

The dog spent its whole life chasing after that bit of felt

and when it finally caught it, the dog had no idea what to do with itself
It gets beat to death with a rock by a child who doesn't understand morality. Problem solved for that poor dog

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Nov 15, 2016

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I still think the dog is Ford btw.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

coyo7e posted:

With all the Greek tragedy poo poo going down I'm pretty sure they're going full-on Romulus and Remus, and Arnold is Ford's brother - ford wasn't in that photo at all. Neither of the people in that photo look like a young anthony hopkins (he sort had a jack nicholsen/vigo mortenson thing going)

It gets beat to death with a rock by a child who doesn't understand morality. Problem solved for that poor dog

No, the framing is a crystal clear suggestion that there was a third person in frame who Botnard can't see.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Arglebargle III posted:

No, the framing is a crystal clear suggestion that there was a third person in frame who Botnard can't see.

I flat out never noticed the conspicuous amount of empty space to the right.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

coyo7e posted:

It's not supposed to look like a young anthony hopkins, it's supposed to look like a young ford whom we see a minute later in a flashback.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Lycus posted:

I flat out never noticed the conspicuous amount of empty space to the right.

Anyone have a screenshot of this for those of us who don't recall the photo?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Memento posted:

Anyone have a screenshot of this for those of us who don't recall the photo?

it's like 5 post above you

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Lack of Gravitas posted:

Wasn't it a bonsai tree in a glass bottle? something like that?

Ford's perfect little artificial world etc

I dont think so, there's a few blurry close ups of it and I don't think it matches.

Here's a set pic, not from the show, but it's just about as clear as it's ever shown. Seems like some sort of molten gold type thing, but it's never clearly visible and often either totally framed around, or large in the frame but totally out of focus.

Also they blacked out that picture next to it, and it's also impossible to see clearly in the show.

I'm guessing it's either something of Arnold's, or something ford used to end up in his position of power.

Fooz fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Nov 15, 2016

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

coyo7e posted:

it's like 5 post above you

Sorry, only saw it before your edit.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

that thing made me think of what it looks like if you pour molten metal down an anthill

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Friendly reminder that not everyone watches the previews so please use spoilers when discussing them.

Not that I'm one of those people, I frame by frame that poo poo to see things like the MiB getting hip tossed by a Nazgul.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Yeah the anthill thing looks close.

I just went back to Ep.3 to look and I found this shot:

Where it looks like it's in a rule-of-thirds composition with those two, and may appear to be a bizarre android head facing right. If it's nothing this is classic delusion on my part though.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

wizard on a water slide posted:

My religious read is more that Arnold's God and Ford's the Devil. The Man In Black really got to Ford when he suggested that Arnold was the real brains behind the park, and it's completely possible that Arnold has somehow ascended by putting his mind in a host's body or on a computer somewhere. Ford is nothing if not vainglorious, but Arnold is immortal, and he's playing a game even Ford can't figure out.

In Gnostic theology, the world was created by the demiurge, a lesser creator god that is an illusion or emanation from the one true god. The demiurge is variously depicted as imperfect or even evil, or as a fallen angel of sorta.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Megaspel posted:

Megaspel calls it. Society has progressed to the point people piss and sex up the place in even when they have work mates coming over.

What kind of up tight workplace are you at where nobody's ever pissed on the boss's desk before

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Fooz posted:

I dont think so, there's a few blurry close ups of it and I don't think it matches.

Here's a set pic, not from the show, but it's just about as clear as it's ever shown. Seems like some sort of molten gold type thing, but it's never clearly visible and often either totally framed around, or large in the frame but totally out of focus.

Also they blacked out that picture next to it, and it's also impossible to see clearly in the show.

I'm guessing it's either something of Arnold's, or something ford used to end up in his position of power.

It's a gold peacock, in reference to melek taus the peacock god

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Well never mind about the android face, it's much clearer in ep 6 but still weird looking. Anthill sorta fits, or a bonzai if you dipped it in molten gold or something.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

Quick Draw McGraw posted:

In Gnostic theology, the world was created by the demiurge, a lesser creator god that is an illusion or emanation from the one true god. The demiurge is variously depicted as imperfect or even evil, or as a fallen angel of sorta.

I get a demiurge vibe from Ford but the Ford/Arnold relationship seems more dualistic to me. It would be as if God (Arnold) created everything but then died and Satan (Ford) was left to run the show. Ford can refashion but can't create and though he hoped create meaning through his grand narrative, all he is really doing is trying to get out of the shadow of Arnold and failing. The great irony of Milton's Satan (which has shaped modern views of the devil more than any other source) is that for all his perceived elegance, he's merely an imitator, and a poor one at that. Ford has all the control of a god but apparently, none of the "fiat" of one. He doesn't understand Arnold's code so he hordes it to to himself.

Of all things, what it reminds me the most of is the two coaches in The Waterboy. The one aggressive one that steals Henry Winkler's character's playbook and uses it for 20 years with great success. However, the bully coach didn't create it and doesn't have any originality himself. He can only use it and it takes the Winkler character coming up with new plays that ultimately beats his rival.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

DoctorGonzo posted:

Maeve and the two stupid butchers is still the worst part of the show.

Have to agree. Maeve is cool but she's moving really fast and the butchers are just kinda letting her. I'm cool with a few of the changes she made. But when she gets to where she's saying she wants out, and they're scared shitless, and she threatens to kill them... why not just lie to her and then quit?

That's the obvious answer to me. "Okay Maeve, I'm gonna go get the wrench-thingy I need to help you escape, be right back---hey boss, I can't do this job anymore, gotta go home sorry bye."

I guess there's a small possibility she escapes from the facility, tracks you down, and murders you back in the old world, but I'd take that risk over trying to sneak her out of Delos right under their noses.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I keep harping on that transition between mehcanical terminators and flesh/bone hellscience and maybe it was an advanced mechanical host that came up with the milk dip method, discovering it would be easier for him to control us, than the other way around. He kills Arnold AND Ford in the park and re emerges as flesh/bone SimFord, being the more level headed of the two in the eyes of the board.

Also non theory related Board Lady says "when the board arrives you and I have to be sure we're ready for that transition(eg.firing Ford)" So the rest of the board will be showing up eventually. To Ford's haunted wax museum.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

I like how we literally can't see a door until it's pointed out.

This is so well done. Definitely have some unreliable narrator going on in this show, as if we weren't already sure. This is some possible evidence for 2 timelines thing too, although also not necessarily.

I've been saying from the beginning that we're perceiving things mostly from the hosts' point of view.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Fooz posted:

Well never mind about the android face, it's much clearer in ep 6 but still weird looking. Anthill sorta fits, or a bonzai if you dipped it in molten gold or something.

It's one of the robot brains.

Also, it seems more and more plausible that Bernard is a copy of Arnold, but if that's the case I still don't understand how no one at the park has any idea what one of the two co-founders looked like. I mean come the gently caress on, even in 2016 cameraphones are everywhere and everyone probably has a hundred photos of themselves on the internet that they don't even know about. There's no way that no one would have thought "uhh wow the head of Behavior looks a LOT like this guy in all these old archive photos"

• Locked thread