Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Spacebump posted:

Was Harrison Barnes the 2nd best signing of the offseason? (Off the top of my head another contender for this is Dwight)

Eric Gordon has an argument if we are factoring in cap hit, maybe. Barnes has been fantastic though, no question

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Walker scored a lot more points than he deserved to is what this data is telling me. 15647 is a lie I refuse to believe it.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

EvanTH posted:

Although the Knicks will probably stay worse than the Nets.

It's not the KNicks faults that somehow the Nets have been motivated to play like a kid's league promised a trip to Pizza Hut if they win.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I suppose it must be all the "next LeBron" hype but a lot of fans around the league seem weirdly pessimistic about Wiggins. He's still only 21, came into a pretty rough situation, is steadily improving, can already score like an All-Star, and has all the tools necessary to eventually be a great defender. His shot is looking good and he's way more comfortable handling the ball (his biggest weakness at KU). He is kind of a black hole right now but I suspect that'll improve as well.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

I don't think enough people are talking about the hidden potential of former 1st round pick Anthony Bennett

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Spacebump posted:

Was Harrison Barnes the 2nd best signing of the offseason? (Off the top of my head another contender for this is Dwight)

Depends what you rate. I still think Cole Aldrich was a goddamn bargain for the Timberwolves and it hasn't been at all dissented from that. Tim Frazier's looking incredible for what is 2 years/4 million.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Rick posted:

It's not the KNicks faults that somehow the Nets have been motivated to play like a kid's league promised a trip to Pizza Hut if they win.

It's never been even a question that the billionaire Russian nickel oligarch is a more effective business manager than the guy who inherited the media company from his dad. It was just a matter of how long it would take the Nets to recover from Prokhorov's original misapprehension of the league's workings when he thought he could buy a championship team.

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Criminal Minded posted:

I suppose it must be all the "next LeBron" hype but a lot of fans around the league seem weirdly pessimistic about Wiggins. He's still only 21, came into a pretty rough situation, is steadily improving, can already score like an All-Star, and has all the tools necessary to eventually be a great defender. His shot is looking good and he's way more comfortable handling the ball (his biggest weakness at KU). He is kind of a black hole right now but I suspect that'll improve as well.

That's pretty universal for intriguing young players on bad teams. Wiggins will probably ride the overrated/underrated roller coaster for another season or two until the Wolves are good enough to actually get national games on a regular basis and fans can draw opinions somewhat based in fact.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I don't think Wiggins ever really got "next Lebron" hype, and he certainly plays a very different type of game. He's never going to be putting up rebounding or assist numbers anywhere near what LeBron does, for example.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

IcePhoenix posted:

I don't think Wiggins ever really got "next Lebron" hype, and he certainly plays a very different type of game. He's never going to be putting up rebounding or assist numbers anywhere near what LeBron does, for example.

Wiggins 100% got the next Lebron hype
http://www.businessinsider.com/andrew-wiggins-next-lebron-2013-5

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

IcePhoenix posted:

It would be more accurate to say "best prospect since LeBron" which was the hype on him out of high school

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

CP3 has started the season so strongly that he's jumped into the #1 WS/48 of all-time slot:

code:
Rank 	Player 			WS/48
1. 	Chris Paul 		.2511
2. 	Michael Jordan 		.2505
3. 	David Robinson 		.2502
4. 	Wilt Chamberlain 	.2480
5. 	Neil Johnston 		.2413
6. 	LeBron James 		.2402
7. 	Kareem Abdul-Jabbar 	.2284
8. 	Magic Johnson	 	.2249
9. 	Charles Barkley 	.2163
10. 	Kevin Durant 		.2148
Curry, Thompson, Durant all scored 29+ points last night. That's not too common.

IcePhoenix posted:

I saw that yesterday and I still want to know where that drat music is from

Gremins 2: The New Batch on the NES:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAbSoFUBsMk

Some of my favorite 8-bit NES music.

Batman: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTHHh9EB53A

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEA8cievfUE

The Legend of Zelda: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHIQTyBaGhw

That channel has a ton.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Wasn't Antoine Walker actually pretty good?

Pretty good at shooting his teams out of any game. He has a career TS% of 48% which is awful for his era.

He was the worst NBA shooter in 1997 and 2003.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Nov 14, 2016

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Yeah especially in Canada, the hype for Wiggins was unreal. Dude was getting feature GQ articles on him, Stephen Harper was tweeting about him while he was in high school, he absolutely was getting hyped an insane amount. Canadian sports networks were showing pretty much every Kansas game (we normally consign college basketball to obscure sports channels but he got Kansas onto primetime TV). It actually slowed down after his decent but not exceptional college career, most of the hype was from when he was still in high school. Normally I don't even pay attention to high school players but it spilled over everywhere. Anecdotally Canadians wrote off the entirety of 2013 draft (for uh, probably good reason) but "Wiggins is better than everyone in the draft, just you wait till next year!!!!!" was a pretty common thing to hear in the immediate aftermath of the 2013 draft.

However, googling about this brings me the even better Harper tweet where he confused Lowry and Anthony Bennett.
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/basketball/stephen-harper-s-tweet-mistakes-anthony-bennett-for-kyle-lowry-1.3000839

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
https://twitter.com/JLew1050/status/798222248029065216

Demar: So what are you telling me, that I'll be able to make threes?

Casey: No Demar, I'm saying that when youre ready, you wont have to

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Wiggins complete college season toned his hype down a little but yeah he was definitely getting Lebron level hype coming into school and it didn't go away even after it started.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Crazy that Kansas had both Wiggins and Embiid, didn't do much with it although Embiid I think was hurt for the tournament

Sharparoni
Jan 11, 2004

THE MOST EXCITING MASCOT IN THE LAST 4000 YEARS OF COLLEGE SPORTS

Spacebump posted:

After Wade, yeah, probably.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Spacebump posted:

Boban

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

MourningView posted:

The season is like a month old maybe give it a bit before assuming that Wiggins is actually a good outside shooter now

I still fondly remember the first half of Brandon Jennings rookie year

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Zogo posted:

Gremins 2: The New Batch on the NES:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAbSoFUBsMk

Some of my favorite 8-bit NES music.

Batman: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTHHh9EB53A

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEA8cievfUE

The Legend of Zelda: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHIQTyBaGhw

That channel has a ton.

I'm actually kind of terrified that you knew this but thank you all the same

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Zogobot dropping the 8 bit jams, I love it

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
https://twitter.com/BillWalton/status/798238655059894272
Him name walton yellow bike

https://twitter.com/BillWalton/status/798248439335174144

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
"Are you going to email my bike" is a decent thread title.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Gynecolojustice posted:

Crazy that Kansas had both Wiggins and Embiid, didn't do much with it although Embiid I think was hurt for the tournament

Thats what happens when you have a college coach who refuses to change his system to fit his players.

"Yeah, Wiggins is definitely being used well by spending 95% of his time playing offball"

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
updating my list

A comprehensive list of things that have caused Bill Walton to lose his temper
1) Hawaiian Airlines
2) Rasheed Wallace
3) Trailblazers medical staff
4) Pac-10 Refereeing
5) The war in Vietnam

Smellyhead
Jun 20, 2003
Cabbages smell funny too.

The greatest part about this is that it lead me to check out his twitter feed which is literally just him indivdiually replying "thanks" to hundreds of people saying "I hope you get your bike back" messages.

That TMNT 8 bit soundtrack was so good!

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

lol drat

:siren: ! :siren: ! UPDATE:
https://twitter.com/BillWalton/status/798326342685102081

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Gynecolojustice posted:

They only started to gel in a way that you'd think for about three games before Embiid hurt his back and was basically done for the season. But in that moment I saw the glory.

By the way, Wiggins set the Kansas freshman scoring mark (Wilt didn't play his freshman year) and scored in double figures in 29/35 games including 41, 30, 22 and 19 in his last four games before the Stanford debacle.

It pisses me off when people say he had a pedestrian college career, freshmen don't do that at KU.

The Glumslinger posted:

Thats what happens when you have a college coach who refuses to change his system to fit his players.

"Yeah, Wiggins is definitely being used well by spending 95% of his time playing offball"

Wiggins was a 3 with a bad handle but you think they should have run the offense through him? So he can develop and the team can lose?

kiimo fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Nov 15, 2016

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I thought they didn't play him in the post at all at KU, which was probably a mistake as he was pretty good at that at the NBA level right away. His handle was also not that bad coming into the NBA, enough that I think letting him try to penetrate on a dribble drive would be a bad idea.

I didn't watch the college game, so I'm basically going off announcers complaining he should have been used differently in Kansas.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I know people hated the Derozan thing, but Wiggins at the 2 really abused the poo poo out of the Lakers when he kept posting up on their smaller wings, and basically fouled out Mosgov in 3 quarters. I wonder if Thibs will try to do something like Cole Aldrich/KAT line-ups with some combination of wiggins/lavine/bjen at the wing since there would be enough shooting.

And it's not like Wiggins doesn't try to pass like prime Nick Young. He was trying really hard to pass out of double-teams in the post but got turnovers instead, which is what he needs to work on next.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Lockback posted:

His stroke was always pretty good with a very high release, and he has the right skillset to create space as well as elevate on his shot. He certainly won't be the, or even one of the, leaders in 3pt % by the end of the season but a lot of people were pretty sure his outside shot was going to catch up to him, and this hot start is a pretty good sign.

He's been hitting a lot of really tough shots during this run so either he will regress pretty soon or he's the next Jordan/Kobe.

I dunno, he was regarded as an iffy shooter coming out of high school, was a good but not great shooter in college, and then was really bad his first two years in the NBA. Obviously it is a skill you can improve, i just want to see him do it for awhile before I go crazy about him and people who were critical of his game

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Lockback posted:

I thought they didn't play him in the post at all at KU, which was probably a mistake as he was pretty good at that at the NBA level right away. His handle was also not that bad coming into the NBA, enough that I think letting him try to penetrate on a dribble drive would be a bad idea.

I didn't watch the college game, so I'm basically going off announcers complaining he should have been used differently in Kansas.

Self doesn't know how to coach wings

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Someone brought up that Paul/Griffin/Jordan is the longest tenured starting core in the league. It's been what, 5 years? Am I missing some other starting group?

Sandeep
Mar 27, 2002

I should be working on Summoner 3 instead of engaging in political discussions

Tae posted:

Someone brought up that Paul/Griffin/Jordan is the longest tenured starting core in the league. It's been what, 5 years? Am I missing some other starting group?

Gasol zbo conley?

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Uhhhh this thing lists Denzel Valentine as the #41 "franchise player" in the NBA while saying his best case scenario is Kirk Hinrich

How could you format your article so that's the first data point people see

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Metapod posted:

Self doesn't know how to coach wings

False.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

xbilkis posted:

Uhhhh this thing lists Denzel Valentine as the #41 "franchise player" in the NBA while saying his best case scenario is Kirk Hinrich

How could you format your article so that's the first data point people see

I forgot the bulls drafted denzel

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Tae posted:

Deandre Jordan has played the second most games in Clippers history or something lol

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Giannis is averaging 21/8/5 :monocle:

If he could shoot threes at all he'd be the complete package. He seems like the only likely heir to Lebron's point forward throne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
https://twitter.com/weloverobdyrdek/status/795864933779042304

• Locked thread