Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asparagus32
Aug 16, 2015
This is the part when you get sucked into Ozma and have to beat its shade before doomsday hits.

I really love what they made of this encounter in FF14. They managed to preserve its signature attacks and made the fight challenging (for 24 player content, that is. It's still piss easy if you have a team of coordinated people).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO: "This is all because Kuja!" Gitan punched fist into air with angry. He was angry.

The random encounters in Pandemonium are assholes but TPKs are nothing I can't handle at this point.

For the boss gauntlet, the most important thing to have is wind immunity. Circlets and Ribbons and the Octagon Rod are the order of the day.

Second is thunder resistance. Adaman Hats and Coral Rings are key here. Ratchel and Tinhank don't get armors with wind or thunder immunity, so go with the Ribbons. The wind attacks are all-target and are at the start, and the thunders are at the end and single-target.

Besides that, Auto-Life on everyone, Locomotion if they can spare the stones.

uh

clicky for video!

This is about as effective as Silver Dragon gets.

It loves to use Aerial Slash and Twister, and that's what the wind protection is for. Its only real move is Shockwave, and it doesn't really have the time to use it.

See ya.

Next, Garland!

Soul Blade with the Butterfly Sword mutes him, which stops Stop and Flare. He usually gets a turn before Gitan, which is why Ratchel and Gitan have Locomotion. Carbuncle would help too.

After that, power moves.

He still has his single-target physicals. They are no big deal.

He has slightly over 40k HP but a dead pepper shaves off enough.

And lastly, Kuja.

Thundaga is about all he casts if no one has Reflect. Ratchel needed wind protection so she's the only person he can defeat.

Everyone else is immune to or healed by it. Demi can't actually KO anyone, and he's never tempted to use Flare Star.

Power moves take him out.

PLOT TWIST: Queen Brahne's the mother of Ratchel!

It's okay, if I press A along every wall of Phoenix Cave then he'll come back.

While there's no real new swag to get in disc 4, there are like nine new bosses. With Quale and Ozma that's eleven left.

Do you like the A-team? Good for you! It's what I use for five of them, which are all the hardest ones at that!

New items all over the place, but they're not many big changes.

The Rubber Suit gives Ratchel a thunder immunity besides her accessory, thank goodness.

My third Rosetta Ring is here. i have yet to turn in my stellazio for the 4th.

The Grand Helm gives her +1 speed. The Grand Armor has a cool name.

The Robe of Lords has +1 speed and a wind immunity. The defense would've mattered last disc, too! I also got my 4th Rosetta Ring and the Hammer.

Oh yeah, Knight's monster.

Gitan's strongest weapon, and its status effect is Sleep. It's more useful than you might think!

The Ninja Gear has a big speed boost and Shadow protection!

That was the fun part. Now for the not fun part. Bonus bosses give EXP, and Zombie won't cut it as its drawbacks besides post-battle rewards are rude! So we have to get Virus. If this were disc 3, Yans are our only option. This is lame for one notable reason:

Yans are loving fast and loving brutal. They tend to use Comet more than Virus Powder.

So let's go somewhere else and

wipe to disc 4 mistodons?

yeah ok that was some lame rng

Malboros have virus tentacle and appear all over the world.

They only use Virus Tentacle when flying, and they use Absorb a lot more frequently. Not much I can do about that besides, ironically, zombie.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeventually Virus lands on all four members.

gently caress that took way too long.

Let's go beat up Quale.

Reflect on Ratchel and Quark, and Bort and Gitan have immunities to the statuses that matter.

He casts Water and Aqua Breath but my pile of Ribbons (three now!) and Ratchel's Diamond Gloves completely nullify those. Well, and the two reflects.

He heals himself with reflected Waters but it doesn't really matter. 65355 HP is a lot but

Power moves.

Quale would give 65535 experience but Virus prevents that.

Quark using physical attacks besides causing petrify on Type As? Haha.

Anyway next time, the bonus boss that everyone has been waiting for.

REGISTER OF RESETS:
One to Tidal Flame Garnet for the hell of it; Unknown number lost to plant spiders spawn numbers; died to Flans without Flee; Untimely crit pushed Sealion to fatally Blizzara; less work to suicide on optional Type A fight than to win or reset; incredible number of resets for phoenix down RNG; and then again; Marcus gained levels; Snared by the Mandragoras leaving Quan's Dwelling; Only one on a pointless phoenix down rng; Antlion did not cooperate; Again, Antlion did not cooperate; Soldiers beaten too hard once; twice; thrice; Gitan lied Cleyrans died; Tinhank and Marcus didn't make it; bonus fourth Soldier beating; Alexandrian Gauntlet toll: Beatrix 3, Beatrix vs Bandersnatch 2, Beatrix vs Bandersnatch 1, Beatrix 3; Knuckleheaded death to Ralvuimago; Actually two of them; dunked by Hilgigars; Stroper sweepstakes; resources depleted by zombies; Stroper sweepstakes 2; ran out of magic tags; Stroper sweepstakes 3; Auto-Potion; Beaten to Bort; zombie-on-zombie violence; more zombie-on-zombie violence; Stroper sweepstakes 4; Stroper sweepstakes 5; Magic Elevator Ride zombies: Gitan striked, Roulette suicide, Roulette suicide 2, Gitan striked 2; Counter and Auto-Potion do not mix; Ramuh and Shiva insisted on sucking; Forgot the Forgotten chocobo tracks; got hosed up on the way; Epitaph; Epitaph; Epitaph; Epitaph grinding is risky; Desert Palace Random Encounters: Annoying, Dangerous, Random, Bullshit, gently caress, Dammit, Why; Bishop removed Zombie; Grand Dragon Thundaga; Yan'd; Friendly Yan'd; Why did the gargoyle die; these resets aren't alone: Abadon, Abadon, Abadon, Shell Dragon; Random encounter Mistodon wipe.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Kuja thundaga-healing Quina when they had a limit glove queued up was great.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zeikier posted:

Ozma is a baffling boss. Like it's weird and lazy that it's just a giant evil marble, but at the same time it does look intimidating from the perspective. I wonder what significance its name has. It reminds me of Legaia's main Ra-Seru; Meta, Terra, and Ozma, and my first reaction was thinking it was related to a third planet, in an Eidolon grave for whatever reason.
Late on this, but Ozma's name is probably a reference to project ozma, a 60s attempt to find extraterrestrial life.

My theory for Ozma's existence is that if Eidolons are born from legends and beliefs, then Ozma is an amalgamation of every minor myth that wasn't powerful or widespread enough to form a complete being, or maybe it's an eidolon whose legend faded from memory, thus its weird, amorphous form.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face

bluerocker posted:

Man, the more I see of XIV, the more I wish my computer wasn't a toaster that can barely run much of anything. It's so neat seeing all the shoutouts to the series in the game - and as someone else said, Ozma taking a Ramiel change in form was a really neat move. I like how it has that sort of ethereal/reflective effect when it changes shapes.

Also, since we're posting stuff from 14 involving Ozma, the poster for those music sections also caught a neat theme that plays involving Ozma as well (though I don't know the exact context, so fair spoiler warning for gameplay footage).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAIrh0040S4

It plays when you get sucked inside by black hole and end up in a Bayonetta level.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

bluerocker posted:

Man, the more I see of XIV, the more I wish my computer wasn't a toaster that can barely run much of anything. It's so neat seeing all the shoutouts to the series in the game - and as someone else said, Ozma taking a Ramiel change in form was a really neat move. I like how it has that sort of ethereal/reflective effect when it changes shapes.

Also, since we're posting stuff from 14 involving Ozma, the poster for those music sections also caught a neat theme that plays involving Ozma as well (though I don't know the exact context, so fair spoiler warning for gameplay footage).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAIrh0040S4

There's a lot of cool lore behind FF14's Ozma too. A long time ago there was the War of the Magi (another callback) between the city-states of Amdapor, Nym, and Mhach. The Mhachi were summoners, and they summoned Ozma from the void to devour the city of Nym (and indirect callback to Brahne using Atomos against Lindblum). The ruins you see in the singularity phase are what remains.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Party Boat posted:

I have never gotten Limit Glove to work in this game.

During the Antlion fight, I managed to get Quina down to 1 HP and got excited.

And then I remember I set Freya to use Rei's Wind, which kicked in right at that moment. :argh:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Party Boat posted:

At that point I was thinking really hard about why I had went Circlet/Coral Ring instead of Adaman Hat/Ribbon.

It didn't matter in the end because Kuja wasn't doing anything that worked, but it's those tiny little optimizations I could've done that keep me up at night.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I know, right? For shame, OFS. You'll never write a 2 MB plain text file on the perfect 2-hour, level 1 playthrough for GameFAQs with that kind of half-hearted attitude!

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Props for song usage on that boss rush video OFS.

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD
Fun fact: today is the 16th anniversary of this game's NA release! Where's the special anniversary update Mega64!?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Didn't have the time to get one out. I finished the game because I'm still trying to figure out how I'm gonna structure the last few updates, but then football happened and also I randomly became sick.

Next one should be in the next couple days hopefully. I'm ready to take another break and catch up on games and TV shows.

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD

Mega64 posted:

Didn't have the time to get one out. I finished the game because I'm still trying to figure out how I'm gonna structure the last few updates, but then football happened and also I randomly became sick.

Next one should be in the next couple days hopefully. I'm ready to take another break and catch up on games and TV shows.

I was joking, you don't owe us anything :v: Get better!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Ozma. At level 1.

Yeah, I have to see this.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Glazius posted:

Ozma. At level 1.

Yeah, I have to see this.

OFS will probably go into it in more detail, but the only real change from a regular run is that Curse is now a Game Over if you don't have Auto-Life. Meteor will probably kill your party anyway, Flare Star only does 50 damage, Doomsday can be nulled/absorbed, and the rest of his moveset only hits one character at a time.

It's easy enough to get Dragon Crest to do 9999 damage, and Thievery can get up to high damage as well if you want to put in the effort. Quina can stick at 1 HP for Limit Gloves, and you can bring Eiko for general revival and praying on Phoenix.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

It's kind of funny how Ozma is the same difficulty, no matter what level you are. Barring Curse, of course.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
mostly because its speed is 'my turn first' regardless of how slow you are

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

We've got a short update today, as there's a bit of build-up before we tackle the final dungeon proper.

Let's get things rolling!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KCDD6lC4lg

:siren: :siren:

It's apparently not going to be easy reaching the final dungeon.

There's freaking hundreds of those silver dragons assaulting us.

But we're not alone!

Uncle Cid!? Why...? How did he know to show up here?
Probably because of Baku... He loves big showdowns!

The Lindblum fleet is backing us up, but we're not out of it yet!

Luckily another familiar face is helping save the day!

You are a Pluto Knight! Now, act like one!

Quite a woman, you fell in love with!

Let it be known that Captain Adelbert "Rusty" Steiner has gotten a dig in on the princess. If that's not character development for the old stick-in-the-mud, I don't know what is.

With the fleet of dragons stymied...

...it's time for one last obstacle.

This is the Nova Dragon. It's similar to the Silver Dragon, but with a few more tricks.

McDragon points out a reference I missed but makes perfect sense in retrospect.

McDragon posted:

Also in references, the Nova Dragon is everyone's pal Shinryu but I guess the localization didn't realize that. Tidal Wave always confused me until I read that somewhere. Probably the final fantasy wiki.

I opt for Dagger/Freya/Amarant because after some off-screen grinding they're the only characters that still have abilities to learn.

This foe has a variety of attacks, like Tidal Wave, Aerial Slash, Twister, Shockwave, and even Garland's Psychokinesis. Of course, after all the prep I've done for Ozma and other bosses, these aren't very threatening.

Its biggest weakness is its vulnerability to Sleep, which the Ultima Weapon can inflict through Soul Blade. The fact that a decent number of the upcoming bosses are vulnerable to Sleep makes the Ultima Weapon as valuable as it is rather than the damage it does. Silence will also neuter a couple attacks if you're not blocking its elements. Otherwise, it's weak to Ice and Wind.

Its steals are a Remedy, Dragon Wrist, and Grand Armor. Nothing too exciting at this point.

Consider this a warm-up for the bosses ahead.

SILENCE

Is no problem! I warp in from outside before.

We find same magic field outside when we come back. I warp in when I step into magic field outside.
Alright... I guess it's no use worrying.

-----

What's wrong, Zidane?
Did someone just call my name?
No.
That's weird...
Maybe you're just hearing things.
I don't think so.

...I hear nothing.

Garland, what is this place?

Memories...?
Yes, your memories brought forth this place... Here, you shall witness the entire truth.

What are you talking about!?

...Zidane, what's going on?
You all heard me talking, right?

...Looks like I was the only one who heard him. I was just talking to Garland. He told me that our memories created this place. I don't know what the hell he's talking about...

Memoria's pretty unique from the game's other dungeons. I'll get into those things next update when I tackle this dungeon proper, but one big thing already is that this is the only time in the game you can switch Zidane out of the party. I still keep him in for bosses though because of steals and because I've stolen so much Thievery does insane damage.

At any rate, this is all of Memoria we're going to see today. I'd rather lump it into its own update since there's quite a bit to it, of course.

Instead, I'm going to show off the next-to-last side quest in the game. This one is really annoying.

For this, we have to leave Memoria and return to Lindblum.

After this, we return to Memoria and progress a bit.

And then we return back to Lindblum. Then back to Memoria...

...and back to Lindblum.

You see, there are checkpoints in Memoria that trigger new members of the Nero family. Usually they trigger when you fight a boss or watch a cutscene.

I'm throwing them all in here at the end of this update because it'd break the flow of the final dungeon showing things as I did them. There's some cool stuff in the final dungeon, last thing I want to do is break the mood with more dumb Nero family bullshit.

There's actually enough checkpoints that you can cycle through this quest twice, though the second time doesn't give a reward.

This quest is loving annoying because Memoria is a very long and linear final dungeon, so you have to do lots of backtracking through some rather annoying enemies. This quest alone ate up at least an hour, probably closer to 90 minutes.

Funny thing is, nobody knew this side quest even existed until a few years ago, likely because it's so drat out there.

After all that, we get another Protect Ring, which is kinda lackluster at this point compared to stuff like Ribbons and Pumice Pieces.

Next time, the final dungeon.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Nov 19, 2016

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

The dragon bit is excellent. The events are cool. The music is good. The boss is a little lackluster in terms of challenge, but he looks cool and the background is different.

Also in references, the Nova Dragon is everyone's pal Shinryu but I guess the localization didn't realize that. Tidal Wave always confused me until I read that somewhere. Probably the final fantasy wiki.

Memoria is an aesthetically wonderful dungeon and I will probably be saying that several times. I can never decide on a favourite screen because it's all good. Cool monsters too.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
I am 100% positive that Nomura put that quest in simply to gently caress with completionists. Holy poo poo.

Did the PlayOnline guide even mention this?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

And there's the best sequence in the game, bar none.

Along with the worst sidequest in the game! Steam crashed during a boss fight in Memoria, so I actually lost a bit of progress on it and had to redo four trips. Protect Rings are nice, but still. :argh:

Oh, and Garland is still alive somehow because why not?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Brunom1 posted:

I am 100% positive that Nomura put that quest in simply to gently caress with completionists. Holy poo poo.

It was made purely to mess with the guy who made that Excalibur II FAQ. :allears:

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Disc 4 is completely gorgeous. Easily one of the greatest looking things from the PSX era

Southhouse-
Oct 15, 2012
Of all the FMVs in this game, that one is my favourite. It just syncs up so well with the music which is a stellar track on its own, and I love how everyone shows that they have our backs even though the party decided to try and not get anyone involved.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
'How did Uncle Cid know?'

'Must be Baku, that man loves a showdown!'

'...So wait, how did Baku know?'

'Errrr.... coughcough OH HEY IS THAT THE RED ROSE OVER THERE?'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Brunom1 posted:

the quest wasn't found until like last year

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

What a dumb quest. Let's all try and forget about it by looking at this sprite of the Nova Dragon.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
It took four discs, but we finally, finally got to see the Lindbulm air force in action. They do not disappoint.

The dogfight in the skies leading to a world built of memories is one hell of a set up for the final dungeon.

Weed Wolf
Jul 30, 2004

Endorph posted:

the quest wasn't found until like last year

i believe that it was discovered when someone read the (japanese-only) Ultimania guide and in the 'secrets' section there was a quest he hadn't seen before

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
Is that the whole thing? Like they don't even say where they went or anything?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Memoria is one of my favourite final dungeons ever.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

Is that the whole thing? Like they don't even say where they went or anything?

Nope! That's all you get. If you really want to, you have enough checkpoints to loop that sidequest twice.

Don't do that.

Cercueil
Sep 21, 2006

I just came across the LP a couple of days ago, and binging through it has been a bright spot in a super depressing week.

Also, never knew that Ruby's hair was multicolored. I always thought the grey part looked like she was wearing a bonnet back on the PS1.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

:iiam: I am speaking only to you
:downs: Did you guys hear him!?
:confused: No
:downs: Guess he was only speaking to me

Good one there, Zidane.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

This dogfight more than made up for how clumsy the Terra sequence was. I remember when I got to this part being blown away by how good it still looked today.

Only problem I have with it is, as usual, they still had the compulsion to use the drat Boss Fight track instead of letting "Assault of the White Dragons" play through the fight...

Alxprit posted:

What a dumb quest. Let's all try and forget about it by looking at this sprite of the Nova Dragon.

...a mistake they carried over into Record Keeper, natch. They even have "Assault" play on the pre-fight menu and that's the only spot it plays!

It's weird cuz RK's version of Braska's Final Aeon has an anti-stumble; using a much better loop of "Otherworld" than any of the releases of FFX had since it's a full loop that isn't A) poorly compressed, or B) on way too short a loop.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

Brunom1 posted:

It did not. In fact, the PlayOnline guide ended up being useful for really only a few things.

A. A list in each new area, of all items you could possibly get, which helps players to have an idea of when they can stop scrounging around for more "!" map points.
B. The list of Blue Magics and which enemies you can eat to get each.
C. I once used my copy to pry my back off the wall, like a spatula (hot Texas summer, no air-conditioning, and playing a game for a few hours straight. Turns out these elements don't mix well.)
D. Roll it up and use it to swat flies, I dunno?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

AlphaKretin posted:

:iiam: I am speaking only to you
:downs: Did you guys hear him!?
:confused: No
:downs: Guess he was only speaking to me

Good one there, Zidane.

No, your language is the one that needs distinct second-person singular and plural pronouns.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
The one good thing I could say about the FF Bradygames guides is that the bestiaries were incredibly handy to have. That poo poo was both detailed and easy to read. This was especially useful for FF8. Have you seen the utter unreadable mess for the three monsters lists for FF8 on GameFAQs? Split Infinity's is by far the best, but his has the same failing that the other two have, that being NONE of them list enemy status ailment vulnerabilities. The Bradygames guide had full lists for what ailments each enemy was vulnerable to, including percentages detailing the chance of getting an ailment to stick. And of course easy lists of what spells one could draw and what items were dropped stolen at all potential level thresholds, what they could Card into, etc. I miss having that guide every time I try to replay FF8.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

ApplesandOranges posted:

'How did Uncle Cid know?'

'Must be Baku, that man loves a showdown!'

'...So wait, how did Baku know?'

'Errrr.... coughcough OH HEY IS THAT THE RED ROSE OVER THERE?'

I believe a later cutscene will shed some light on this, albeit not openly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bluerocker
May 30, 2013

Never trust anything with beady eyes and a knife. Especially if it offers hugs.

Bufuman posted:

The one good thing I could say about the FF Bradygames guides is that the bestiaries were incredibly handy to have. That poo poo was both detailed and easy to read. This was especially useful for FF8. Have you seen the utter unreadable mess for the three monsters lists for FF8 on GameFAQs? Split Infinity's is by far the best, but his has the same failing that the other two have, that being NONE of them list enemy status ailment vulnerabilities. The Bradygames guide had full lists for what ailments each enemy was vulnerable to, including percentages detailing the chance of getting an ailment to stick. And of course easy lists of what spells one could draw and what items were dropped stolen at all potential level thresholds, what they could Card into, etc. I miss having that guide every time I try to replay FF8.

I remember one of the earlier guides for FF7 (I don't remember much aside from it being black, having extra art inside, as well as a blurb in the beginning warning a player not to read ahead on account of spoilers) just said "Good luck!" when it came to fighting Sephiroths different forms (and do bear in mind I was a much younger child then without Gamefaqs).
The white strategy guide actually went into detail about all of those things, and a quick google determines that version was the Brady Games one. I understand why people give the FF9 guide a bunch of poo poo because of the play online crap, but they seemed pretty solid for other FF games. For example, I didn't even know Final Attack was a materia you could get a hold of - even the process to getting it was a little vague, something about betting on chocobo races.

EDIT: Also, "Assault of the White Dragons" is probably one of my favorite themes from FF9 now.

• Locked thread