Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
arik is gazing so raptly into his eyes, it makes me moist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Kim Jong Il posted:

This is demonstrably false. He's a gigantic joke but you are literally describing Bill Kristol and his ilk and no they loving didn't.

No, I'm talking gabout the Jewish right, in both Israel and the US. Have an example.

http://www.jewishpress.com/indepth/opinions/the-politically-foolish-american-jews-get-it-wrong-again/2016/10/20/

quote:

I can’t believe that I’m finding myself passionately defending U.S. Republican candidate Donald Trump and hoping (probably in vain) that he wins. I even decided to cast my vote, although I wavered back and forth about it so many times over the past several months. Trump has flaws, no doubt, but the vicious campaign against him is so disgusting that I can’t stand it, and the mainstream Jewish community is as stupid as ever.

I keep telling myself not to be so obsessed, it takes up too much time and energy, but something always happens that gets me to the core. This time, after Shabbat ended, when I saw all the hysteria about his comments regarding Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton and the “international bankers” – hysteria instigated by the likes of the agenda-driven ADL, spread by the left-wing media and swallowed by the gullible masses – I was so furious. He never mentioned the word “Jew.”

Instead, they should be worried about the Nazis of THIS generation, the Radical Islamists, and the fact that the White House has so many ties to the Muslim Brotherhood. They’re acting exactly as they did during WWII, when American Jews worshiped FDR, who was an anti-Semite, and ruined any efforts by groups like the Bergson Group, which tried to save Jews but were foiled by leading Reform Rabbi Stephen Wise and the mainstream Jewish organizations. If you don’t know what I’m talking about, check out sources like the Wyman Institute for Holocaust Studies (wymaninstitute.org).

Trump is definitely not an anti-Semite. It’s lucky he has Jewish grandchildren (unlike many of the mainstream Jews who no longer do), because if he didn’t, he could become an anti-Semite only because of all the unwarranted vicious attacks.

So many otherwise intelligent people fall for Michelle Obama’s eloquent denunciation of Trump while ignoring all of the equally repulsive information about the Clintons.

To those who worry about the likes of KKK supporting Trump, there are plenty of vicious anti-Semites on the Clinton side – modern-day anti-Semites – such as the actively anti-Israel Black Lives Matter movement and the violent anti-Semites across U.S. campuses.

I’m seriously worried about the future of America. If either of the main candidates has dictatorial tendencies, it has to be Hillary, who, for example, was involved in stealing so many votes from her Democratic competitor, Bernie Sanders. I’m no fan of Sanders, to say the least, but the American people have the right to vote for the candidate of their choice. How amazing it is that there was no uproar when that scandal broke.

The Islamic threat today is probably the most threatening situation facing not only Jews, but Western civilization, since the 1940s. The American Jewish establishment – admittedly – failed back then. But it seems they haven’t learned their lesson.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

So, uh, is it still a :godwin: to compare someone to George Lincoln Rockwell instead of Hitler?

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

I'm guessing the reason mainstream establishment jewish people just take the whole "islam is bad because 9/11 happened" and just ramp it to 11 because palestinians are arabs? It just comes off weird to me how of all the things to single out as an insolvent danger to 'western civilization' you don't pick actual threats.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/BarakRavid/status/797864777389404160

I see they're not wasting any time

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

What about Steve Bannon being Chief Secretary though?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Netanyahu himself is opposed to this legislature, it's just grandstanding by the Jewish Home as this law is guaranteed to get struck down by the supreme court.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Netanyahu himself is opposed to this legislature, it's just grandstanding by the Jewish Home as this law is guaranteed to get struck down by the supreme court.

What makes some settlements legal and others illegal in Israeli law?

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Aliquid posted:

- more lebensraum for us
- gently caress you

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

HorseLord posted:

- more lebensraum for us
- gently caress you

That contradicts the poster I was quoting, but this is more what I had in mind tbh

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Aliquid posted:

Typically, the distinction is whether they were built on privately owned Palestinian land. Not "Palestinian land" in terms of Palestinian territory, but "Palestinian land" in the sense of "an individual Palestinian is able to prove that they personally own that exact plot of land". It's a matter of personal property rights.

If the land was bought legally by Israelis, or if it is determined by the state to belong to no one, or if the land was expropriated from its owners by the military, then the settlement is legal by Israeli law. Theoretically, building that isn't approved by the government is supposed to be illegal, but the government can give retroactive approval for building and does so any time that becomes an issue.

Sometimes, however, settlers don't even do one of those things, they just engage in straight-up theft or fraud without government support. When a settlement is declared to be illegal by the High Court, it's typically because the land has an identified Palestinian owner who is able to prove that they own the land and prove that they never sold it. Usually, it turns out that the settler organizations actually forged sale and ownership documents, and worked with developers to perpetuate the fraud and straight up steal land.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

Main Paineframe posted:

Typically, the distinction is whether they were built on privately owned Palestinian land. Not "Palestinian land" in terms of Palestinian territory, but "Palestinian land" in the sense of "an individual Palestinian is able to prove that they personally own that exact plot of land". It's a matter of personal property rights.

If the land was bought legally by Israelis, or if it is determined by the state to belong to no one, or if the land was expropriated from its owners by the military, then the settlement is legal by Israeli law. Theoretically, building that isn't approved by the government is supposed to be illegal, but the government can give retroactive approval for building and does so any time that becomes an issue.

Sometimes, however, settlers don't even do one of those things, they just engage in straight-up theft or fraud without government support. When a settlement is declared to be illegal by the High Court, it's typically because the land has an identified Palestinian owner who is able to prove that they own the land and prove that they never sold it. Usually, it turns out that the settler organizations actually forged sale and ownership documents, and worked with developers to perpetuate the fraud and straight up steal land.

...at which point the military shows up and expropriates the land and the former outpost colony full of radical zionists becomes another "neighbourhood" in the Greater Jerusalem area.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So saw this in the USPOL thread:
https://twitter.com/markmackinnon/status/798096114868244480?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

This Bannon guy...I didn't believe it at first. I knew Breitbart were lovely but holy hell. I thought the fact the actual Neo Nazis rejected Milo meant Breitbart wasn't that bad.

But no, they are white supremacists anti-Semites too.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Svartvit posted:

...at which point the military shows up and expropriates the land and the former outpost colony full of radical zionists becomes another "neighbourhood" in the Greater Jerusalem area.

Nah - usually the court rules that the settlement must go, the politicians ignore the ruling completely, the Palestinian owners of the land go to court again to pursue the failure to comply, the politicians scramble for excuses to ignore it, and so on. Amona has been known to be illegal for nearly two decades, but every time there's an order to evacuate or demolish it, the settlers make a big fuss, the government delays and dodges in court as long as possible, it eventually makes some token move, the right goes into a total uproar, and then they stop. The one tine they did try to evacuate Amona, back in 2006, right-wing protesters gathered there in droves to resist it by force and hundreds were injured in the resulting riots; in the aftermath, the government backed down. Unfortunately, such a halfassed approach has only emboldened the settlers.

Now the pro-settler elements in the Knesset are pushing a bill to legalize Amona and other such outposts in spite of the fact that they were built on privately-owned Palestinian land. The Attorney General has stated the bill is likely unconstitutional and that he will refuse to defend it in court should it be challenged, but that just draws the usual responses about activist judges legislating from the bench at the behest of sinister far-left NGOs. Bibi himself seems to oppose it, or at least is publicly acting as if he opposes it, but most of Likud is ignoring him and supporting the bill anyway.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth
As far as I know, no colony in the West Bank can be legalized without the IDF formally taking possession of the land through one scheme or another? Reasonably, this has happened in every contemporary settlement? There are only a few radicals living in illegal outpost colonies as far as I'm aware, and the fuss over them is a little exaggerated compared to those who have already been legalized.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Why is it such a problem for Israelies to flip houses in Palestine? If the house is a bombed out shithole, why not let them re-furnish it?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

LeoMarr posted:

Why is it such a problem for Israelies to flip houses in Palestine? If the house is a bombed out shithole, why not let them re-furnish it?

The overarching context of a slow campaign of ethnic cleansing?

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

LeoMarr posted:

Yeah man, you can't, like, own land!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

LeoMarr posted:

It is my sincere wish that a Palestinian family ejected from their land by Israeli settlers somehow arrive to your city and just take over your house, since you don't see the problem with that.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

This Bannon guy...I didn't believe it at first. I knew Breitbart were lovely but holy hell. I thought the fact the actual Neo Nazis rejected Milo meant Breitbart wasn't that bad.

How could this come as a surprise? Bannon was his campaign manager. Although I guess I never understood why they supported the crazy guy rising to power on a new wave of antisemitism over the politician who has been very consistently pro-Israel.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
shut up and listen to me you idiots, for my words come straight from g-d in heaven.

the mad king trump will not survive a term. he will die in his sins. they'll cut his body up into several pieces and feed his head to the bald eagles, his legs to the poor, his innards to vladimir putin and the rest will be flung into the sea except for his puce manhood, which will be diced into small pieces and distributed on the black market as a keepsake. in his wake will rise the scoundrel pence, hater of gays, enemy of the jewish people. when that happens you must all return to israel, for a great reckoning is coming.

as the traitorous witch-king pence purges the heretics and any unfortunate enough to be deemed an "unjustifiable burden" on the state, we will enter a period of great geological unrest. the earth's crust, disrupted by heat and by the unbearable weight of cities, will buck and throw off its oppressors. mountains will appear in the flatlands. suburbs built on once-fertile fields will drop into valleys of ruin. whole low-lying countries will be swallowed by the sea. at the same time a great dry will grip america. thousands will starve. (Israel will be fine due to their pioneering of arid-climate agriculture and relative wealth, allowing them to eke out a living.) as america's harvests fail and its lakes turn to beds of salt, the deceitful theocrats will point the finger of blame at the rest of the world. the great tyrant of the west will establish a global law that bends every weaker country to america's yoke. the entire world will be given over to the thankless task of feeding the kingdom as its citizens, deprived of basic birth control and fed from birth on a low-quality mash of corn syrup and the flesh of the lower classes and mexican citizens poached at the border by roving bands of nourishment officers, grow more numerous and grossly obese

at this point the war seems lost, but in fact it hasn't even started. from the vengeful heavens there will come a fall of burning cinders and choking, merciless ash onto the metropoli of america, which i assume will have another name by then but it wasn't clarified and i wasn't sure how to ask. a terrible plague will come from the north, freed at last from its prehistoric coffin of permfrost by the slow broiling of the earth. desperate to escape the eyes of g-d, pence and trump, who by then will have been reanimated as a hideous conglomeration of beautiful white children raised for the purpose, sacrificed and stitched together so they move as a seething many-legged mass the size of a coal steamer, will turn their attention to the ground. they will burrow deep into the wounded crust. with immense drills and picks and the hands of unpaid workers kidnapped from china they will establish a mighty network of tunnels deep into the heart of the planet, and the entire wretched nation will disappear from view

so i have seen it and so shall it be. a dreadful age has come upon us. amen

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
The prophet has spoken.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Grouchio posted:

What about Steve Bannon being Chief Secretary though?
Pro-settlement factions dgaf

NikkolasKing posted:

LOL they rejected Milo because he's a women-hating, brown-hating homosexual. No matter how pro-Gamergate he swings, he's never gonna swing the right direction for those folks as long as his dick swings toward man-butt.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Nov 15, 2016

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Svartvit posted:

As far as I know, no colony in the West Bank can be legalized without the IDF formally taking possession of the land through one scheme or another? Reasonably, this has happened in every contemporary settlement? There are only a few radicals living in illegal outpost colonies as far as I'm aware, and the fuss over them is a little exaggerated compared to those who have already been legalized.

As far as I know, from the perspective of Israeli law, all that's needed to build in the West Bank is legal ownership of the land, government approval, and the usual various construction and building and land use permits. The latter two are no big deal, since the government usually overlooks building violations and just issues retroactive permits and approval once the settlement is a done deal. Ownership of the land is the only real hurdle, since the Palestinian owners usually aren't interested in selling.

In the case of settlements supported by the government, that's easy enough to work around. As the Israeli-controlled areas of the West Bank are under IDF administration, the IDF has the authority to "temporarily" requisition land for reasons of "military necessity", and they use that power as a kind of eminent domain to take land from its Palestinian owners and put it in the hands of the settlers. That's not an essential part of the settlement process, though, it's just a simple way to get ownership of the property. If the settlers can get their hands on the land some other way, there's no requirement for the military to get involved in order for it to be legal (aside from basic construction permits and approval). Of course, in the case of Amona, it turns out they didn't own the land, which is why it's "theres a court order to demolish it" illegal rather than just "the government feels like pretending it wasn't built with their full support" illegal.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Avshalom posted:

shut up and listen to me you idiots, for my words come straight from g-d in heaven.

the mad king trump will not survive a term. he will die in his sins. they'll cut his body up into several pieces and feed his head to the bald eagles, his legs to the poor, his innards to vladimir putin and the rest will be flung into the sea except for his puce manhood, which will be diced into small pieces and distributed on the black market as a keepsake. in his wake will rise the scoundrel pence, hater of gays, enemy of the jewish people. when that happens you must all return to israel, for a great reckoning is coming.

as the traitorous witch-king pence purges the heretics and any unfortunate enough to be deemed an "unjustifiable burden" on the state, we will enter a period of great geological unrest. the earth's crust, disrupted by heat and by the unbearable weight of cities, will buck and throw off its oppressors. mountains will appear in the flatlands. suburbs built on once-fertile fields will drop into valleys of ruin. whole low-lying countries will be swallowed by the sea. at the same time a great dry will grip america. thousands will starve. (Israel will be fine due to their pioneering of arid-climate agriculture and relative wealth, allowing them to eke out a living.) as america's harvests fail and its lakes turn to beds of salt, the deceitful theocrats will point the finger of blame at the rest of the world. the great tyrant of the west will establish a global law that bends every weaker country to america's yoke. the entire world will be given over to the thankless task of feeding the kingdom as its citizens, deprived of basic birth control and fed from birth on a low-quality mash of corn syrup and the flesh of the lower classes and mexican citizens poached at the border by roving bands of nourishment officers, grow more numerous and grossly obese

at this point the war seems lost, but in fact it hasn't even started. from the vengeful heavens there will come a fall of burning cinders and choking, merciless ash onto the metropoli of america, which i assume will have another name by then but it wasn't clarified and i wasn't sure how to ask. a terrible plague will come from the north, freed at last from its prehistoric coffin of permfrost by the slow broiling of the earth. desperate to escape the eyes of g-d, pence and trump, who by then will have been reanimated as a hideous conglomeration of beautiful white children raised for the purpose, sacrificed and stitched together so they move as a seething many-legged mass the size of a coal steamer, will turn their attention to the ground. they will burrow deep into the wounded crust. with immense drills and picks and the hands of unpaid workers kidnapped from china they will establish a mighty network of tunnels deep into the heart of the planet, and the entire wretched nation will disappear from view

so i have seen it and so shall it be. a dreadful age has come upon us. amen

Hell, same.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4880028,00.html

Liberman says he spoke's with "Trump's people" and that they told him that Israel cannot annex new territories, that Israel may expand existing settlements within major settlement blocks, Liberman added that the dismantlment of Amona and the eviction of its settler population is "inevitable".

The shape of things to come?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
So it's a little too early to say for sure but it appears as though Dear Leader is involved in the biggest corruption scandal in the history of Israel - http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.premium-1.753626

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

So it's a little too early to say for sure but it appears as though Dear Leader is involved in the biggest corruption scandal in the history of Israel - http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.premium-1.753626
Wasn't he already involved in a scandal during the Panama letters affair? That ended up being a blip on the radar as well.

Also, don't link to subscriber-only articles.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Xander77 posted:

Wasn't he already involved in a scandal during the Panama letters affair? That ended up being a blip on the radar as well.

Also, don't link to subscriber-only articles.

What part of "too early to say" gave you the impression that this is certainly gonna develop into anything? The panama papers accusations originated on facebook and with Richard Silverstein; this story is backed by some actual journalism.

Also, I'll continue sharing from Haaretz over any other Israeli source, thank you very much, most people don't reach the monthly article limit and can read it without paying the subscription. Myself included.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Also, I'll continue sharing from Haaretz over any other Israeli source, thank you very much, most people don't reach the monthly article limit and can read it without paying the subscription. Myself included.
Perhaps there is some sort of geographical limitations on free articles, or something else along those lines. I don't get a monthly article limit at all, everything from Haaretz is always paywalled.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Rebel Blob posted:

Perhaps there is some sort of geographical limitations on free articles, or something else along those lines. I don't get a monthly article limit at all, everything from Haaretz is always paywalled.

Ok, well, I would've linked to a different source had Xander asked nicely: http://www.timesofisrael.com/netanyahu-in-deep-over-lawyers-possible-pay-for-play-submarine-deal/

It's a shame though cause Haaretz are the only one who have English version articles with the latest updates on the story: Moshe Ya'alon has confirmed the he and the upper IDF command opposed the purchase of these submarines, which corroborates Raviv Drucker's version (the journalist who originally broke the story), and now the attorney general has apparently called for an investigation.

Another interesting aspect of this whole thing is that a similar submarine purchase deal with the same german company is said to be one of the causes of the Greek financial crises, in that case there are allegations that the company bribed greek government officials in the process - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/10895239/Greece-sues-for-7-billion-euros-over-German-submarines-that-have-never-sailed.html

This could get interesting.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
I like Haaretz too, but it'd be nice if you could copy-paste the text from a Haaretz story if you link it, because at least in my experience, most Haaretz articles are paywalled.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

I like Haaretz too, but it'd be nice if you could copy-paste the text from a Haaretz story if you link it, because at least in my experience, most Haaretz articles are paywalled.

Yeah, that's what's generally meant by 'don't link to paywalled articles'. Give the rest of us some of that Haaretz love as well.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Speaking of Haaretz

http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/1.753975

quote:

President-elect Donald Trump has reportedly appointed an ambassador to Israel: Mike Huckabee, a former governor of Arkansas and a two-time presidential candidate.
The Daily Mail cited a presidential transition official as confirming the appointment. According to the report, Huckabee was set to meet Trump on Friday afternoon.
The British news site cited the source as saying that Huckabee will oversee the transfer of the U.S. embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem.
"That's going to happen," the official was quoted as saying. "Governor Huckabee is going to see it through."
read more: http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/1.753975

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Aside from being very pro-Isrsel, Huckabee runs the luxury tour business "Israel Experience With Mike Huckabee", a $5250 ten-day tour of Israel for evangelicals with highly qualified tour guide Mike Huckabee. This is absurdity

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Is this a sign that the two-state solution is going from "slowly evaporating" to "circling the drain"?

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i love israel

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Forgive me, I'm new to following a lot of news places but I've heard less than favorable things about the Daily Mail's credibility. And they are the source for this.

And this is...this might honestly be Trump's worst decision yet, which is saying a lot.

Could this be false?

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

NikkolasKing posted:

Forgive me, I'm new to following a lot of news places but I've heard less than favorable things about the Daily Mail's credibility. And they are the source for this.

And this is...this might honestly be Trump's worst decision yet, which is saying a lot.

Could this be false?

The Huckabee appointment is being widely reported. I haven't seen the embassy thing anywhere else so maybe its not true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

NikkolasKing posted:

Could this be false?
How is it his worst decision?