Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

KieranWalker posted:

It's Elena, no H. The exact methods aren't ever brought up, but Elena has been proven time and again to be just as clever as Nathan. I'm sure he left a paper trail somewhere, and she followed it.

She spends all of U2 right on the heels of an internationally wanted war criminal with an army as his personal protection detail, who has eluded the efforts of all the regular enforcement agencies and found Nate in a random village up a mountain. In U1, she tracked down Nate in the middle of a jungle, twice. Let's just say that she's probably just as good — if not better — at finding people as Nate is at finding antique lacquer boxes.

And as has been pointed out time and time again, it's not like the brothers Drake leave leave no mark on the environment they're in… :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Geomancing posted:

Nathan is using his personal credit card and Elena's just watching the hotel bills, food charges, and 4x4 rental fees pop up on the account website.

"Why the hell did he get the one with the winch?"

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Really Pants posted:

If this might only be the second-biggest Naughty Dog set-piece, what's the other one?

Uncharted: Civil War

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I like how even when portrayed realistically as a mighty pirate, Guybrush still looks vaguely scrawny and weak.

I can't wait to see what terrible secret Libertalia hides.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I've heard it said that that chase scene may be the closest we get to translating Fury Road into cinema. I can't say I disagree with that notion, because it looks fun as hell to play.

And yeah, the sharp contrast between the chase and then Elena confronting Nate makes for some great storytelling.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
it was always funny to me that he says there are too many permutations in that puzzle. there are only 64 for the three-square variety and 256 for the one with four, and he could probably blow through them in like a minute each.

Dingwall
Feb 28, 2016
confirmed, we're finding the treasure of Big Whoop.

ending of video: well, there goes my heart, shattered into a million pieces.

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that
When I mentioned earlier in the thread that Emily Rose's acting in this game is really drat good, this is one of the cutscenes I was talking about. That type of drama could have been so hokey but they manage to do it in a subtle enough way that you're not rolling your eyes so hard they fall out of your head.

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

Can't wait to finally see Elaine!

Or.. Elena?

Oh boy

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

It got me the most when she fiddling with her wedding ring

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah. I thought for just a second she was gonna take it iff. Hell she thought she was gonna take it off but stopped herself. :(

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Sinners Sandwich posted:

It got me the most when she fiddling with her wedding ring

This was good. This was real good!

ishikabibble posted:

The question wasn't "did a Malaysia job ever exist", it was "was the Malaysia job ever even in the picture and you got sidetracked on this whole expedition, or was it just an excuse from the start?"

In that case, the answer would be yes to the former! She did tell him to take the malaysia job, even though he said gently caress that.

Maduo posted:

The 'correct' answer of "well yeah there was but I just used it as an excuse to go treasure hunting with my not-dead brother who I also never told you died or existed in the first place" isn't exactly as comforting as you might assume.

Elena is smart and Nate is kinda dumb, but I think he could have talked his way out of it by explaining the real reason he lied to her. Not that he was trying to protect her- which, to be fair to him, he was -or that he lied because he knew she'd freak out- which she would have, but probably not as bad as he was imagining given her enthusiasm about the malaysia job. He should have told her the truth before embarking on his world-spanning adventure, but he didn't because he's scared to face her. He's scared of ruining everything they have because he's caught between two impossible choices. Everybody in the room in that cutscene knows it, but he's got too much pride to admit it. If he had, I don't think their blowup would've been as bad.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Gorilla Salad posted:

Seriously, you'd think he'd at least bring Sam over for tea.

Just sitting around the table laying it all, "Look, I'm sorry but a drug lord has threatened to kill my brother unless we find this treasure for him. He's very powerful and incredibly scary and dangerous. He won't hesitate to kill all of us if we don't. I don't know what else to do. He's my brother."

Pretty sure he wanted to introduce them and then Sam was like "no, we need to leave right now because Alcazar wants to kill me there's no time for anything else"

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Elena is smart and Nate is kinda dumb, but I think he could have talked his way out of it by explaining the real reason he lied to her.
I don't know. In between Uncharted 2 & 3 Nate and Elena got married. But Nate's need to go on dangerous adventures instead of settling down with her caused them to separate. Maybe she would have been more okay with it if Nate introduced Sam immediately to her and explained the situation. But at this point I'm pretty sure that from Elena's perspective it's "Nate would rather go treasure-hunting then spend time with his wife" all over again.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Nov 14, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Raygereio posted:

I don't know. In between Uncharted 2 & 3 Nate and Elena got married. But Nate's need to go on dangerous adventures instead of settling down with her caused them to separate. Maybe she would have been more okay with it if Nate introduced Sam immediately to her and explained the situation. But at this point I'm pretty sure that from Elena's perspective it's "Nate would rather go treasure-hunting then spend time with his wife" all over again.

Well, remember that at the start of this game she was encouraging him to go on a dangerous illegal adventure (without her since it's not her job), one he wanted to go on too, but he said no because he was trying to convince himself that he's happy living the settled-down life. Which, really, he's not.

edit: And I think Elena would be upset at him if he admitted that, but the reason she's upset is not just because he's enjoying the chaos. I'm sure it's also partly because he told her he was happy and satisfied when he totally isn't. That's the kind of thing you can't just brush off when it comes up in conversation, but I think if he'd been smart about it he could've sidestepped the issue temporarily by opening up a little. But he didn't, so welp.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Nov 14, 2016

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
So, are the tile-star puzzle answers always the same? What happens if you get the first answer right when Nathan would normally say there are too many permutations? Chip only needed to move one tile one more turn when he came back to it, after all.

I suspect Elena may have gotten a bit suspicious and started checking around when Drake sounded like he didn't know it was monsoon season in Malaysia.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Zagglezig posted:

So, are the tile-star puzzle answers always the same? What happens if you get the first answer right when Nathan would normally say there are too many permutations? Chip only needed to move one tile one more turn when he came back to it, after all.

I suspect Elena may have gotten a bit suspicious and started checking around when Drake sounded like he didn't know it was monsoon season in Malaysia.

The game actually kicks you out if you get close to solving the tile puzzle without the right answers. That's when it tells you there are too many permutations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

It's an obvious trope, but I can't help but love the "I think we lost it. Oh come ON!" for the truck coming back.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
My reaction to everything in the video

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

It's going to really suck when they find the treasure but Alcazar still kills Sam because Nate counted as bad help.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
I'll admit to grinning like an idiot through the whole chase scene, and then tearing up through the Elena scene. That is some drat good storytelling.

The variety of locales present in the chase was the most impressive. We go through: a crowded market, dense downtown, water under a bridge, rice paddies, scattered shanties, and finally ending at a cargo dock. Astounding.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Really Pants posted:

If this might only be the second-biggest Naughty Dog set-piece, what's the other one?

It's sort of a combination of set pieces from past games, so it's hard to say which ones are bigger in terms of length or scale. The train level and cruise ship sinking are definitely huge in scale and the desert convoy from 3 is pretty similar to the latter half of this scene, but it's debatable which one takes longer to get through.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Are all of Shoreline's mooks South African? 'Cause that's a lot of dead South Africans.

I want to know how the ones without bullet-proof jackets felt when they weren't given them when they were handed out. I guess they were the "undercover" guys?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Also, how is a South African PMC gonna explain a running gunfight through the streets of King's Bay? Is Nadine just hoping to get all the money and then just flash cash or bullets to make problems go away?

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Something worth noting is that Shoreline actually fire warning shots first before they open fire on Nate and Sully. I do like that detail, although it does help a little problem I have with the game in that not enough is really done to make Rafe and Nadine seem like the bad guys and Nate doesn't come out smelling like roses. I'll cover it a little closer to the endgame for spoilers reasons.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
Is that end bit the first time Nate has ever called Sully "Sullivan"?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Funfact: If, after coming out of the tower and seeing the "that's definitely Sam's tower" cutscenes, you stand perfectly still for 30 seconds, you get a trophy.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Fedule posted:

Funfact: If, after coming out of the tower and seeing the "that's definitely Sam's tower" cutscenes, you stand perfectly still for 30 seconds, you get a trophy.

For those wondering the context: This segment right up to Elena's first line in the cutscene was shown at E3 2015... and the controller didn't work, meaning we got Nate standing there for thirty seconds.

Basically it's just Naughty Dog taking a shot at themselves over how the demo didn't work.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Bombogenesis posted:

Is that end bit the first time Nate has ever called Sully "Sullivan"?

He's been calling Sully 'Sullivan' occasionally for the whole game so far (he did it earlier in this very episode) and as dumb as it sounds it's actually been legitimately bothering me.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

GoneRampant posted:

For those wondering the context: This segment right up to Elena's first line in the cutscene was shown at E3 2015... and the controller didn't work, meaning we got Nate standing there for thirty seconds.

Basically it's just Naughty Dog taking a shot at themselves over how the demo didn't work.

Trophy name: Stage Fright

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
For the first few streets I was wondering if you could get out of the jeep and do the segment on foot, then it kept going... :stare: god drat, Nate.

I wonder where Elena is off to in such a hurry, did she come all this way just to make a sad scene and go back home?

Galaga Galaxian posted:

With any luck a treasure map.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
libertalia was in your heart all along

*cast coughs up countless pounds of solid gold*

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Galaga Galaxian posted:

One word: Bitdoubloons.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Really Pants posted:

One word: Bitdoubloons.

You jest, and yet.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Fedule posted:

You jest, and yet.

Liberlandia is my favorite comedy show. It captures the feeling of living in Liberland so well!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

So yeah Escape from the City is playing constantly during that chase.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Fedule posted:

You know, I'm watching that video, and it's really interesting seeing what made it into the game and what didn't...

... which is everything. Everything made it into the game. They pulled no shortcuts and made no compromises, and the fancy tech demo they showed off is completely intact in the real game.

Which is just mind-boggling. Like, how many games shown off at E3 actually live up to the hype they create? Look at Witcher 3, which is probably the best game to be released last year, and yet it's playable E3 demo from the year before had much more detail in animation, environments and effects. Or how about No Man's Sky, which had marketing basically creating a completely different game from the one that was actually released? Did Watch_Dogs deliver on any of the cooler tech and gameplay features of it's debut in it's final release?

It's just really easy to take for granted that games that show off really cool tech are mostly blowing hot air, and you can usually expect the final game to deliver a specific scripted sequence that looks like what was promised but not during live gameply.

Oh, I did make at least one catch; in the E3 demo, Sully gets to the car first, Nate hopes in just after him, and there's no transition cutscene between the jumping and driving. When Chip played that section, he arrived before Sully, and they had a little cutscene play for Sully to pop into existence and get in the car. Dunno how it would happen if Chip had let Sully get in first, maybe it would be exactly like the demo, maybe not.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

GoneRampant posted:

Something worth noting is that Shoreline actually fire warning shots first before they open fire on Nate and Sully. I do like that detail, although it does help a little problem I have with the game in that not enough is really done to make Rafe and Nadine seem like the bad guys and Nate doesn't come out smelling like roses. I'll cover it a little closer to the endgame for spoilers reasons.

In fairness, though, Shoreline hasn't exactly been acting responsible. I mean they did essentially start a small occupation of a portion of the Scottish coast with almost positively illegal weapons and orders to kill on sight.

Lynkericious
Nov 7, 2012

Super High-School Level Eating Machine

Jetrauben posted:

In fairness, though, Shoreline hasn't exactly been acting responsible. I mean they did essentially start a small occupation of a portion of the Scottish coast with almost positively illegal weapons and orders to kill on sight.

Not to mention plowing an armored truck through heavily populated areas while spraying bullets everywhere. They definitely murdered at least a dozen innocent people.

Then again, Nate didn't do much better when he kept plowing his vehicle through areas people were eating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Jetrauben posted:

While I'm sure Scotland has some sort of gun control laws, isn't that whole region supposed to be Rafe's private property? They were keeping out trespassers.

• Locked thread