Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Beginning to feel the time-sucking factory-building itch again. Maybe this time I'll actually turn off peaceful and actually launch a rocket :v:

Sort of feel like playing as close to vanilla as possible, with the exception of QoL mods and RSO (because without RSO there's like no point to trains still, right). We'll see what turns up.

Could you list what mods you end up using? I want to do the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
This game has broken me. Apparently I have 50 hours into this file now and I haven't even researched Rocket Silo yet. But that's in part because rather than collecting alien goo for purple tech...

...I spent a lot of time making sure I have an OSHA-compliant, well-lit, clearly demarcated path through my main base so I can drive through it without accidentally slamming into any assemblers or power lines.

...Cleaning up my receiving bay and getting rid of all my coal belts since I'm now 100% on electric trains. (Still a work in progress, since there's still some gross natural greenery infecting my industrial hellscape.)

...And making a new iron smelting facility with 480 electric furnaces.

I'm not sure how quickly I can chunk out rockets with this setup but I'm pretty positive the answer will be "not quickly enough." :(

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Has anyone managed the rocket a minute here? Wondering about biters, mining outposts and oil. I assume biters are disabled (I tried robot army but it's not good enough), building/replacing mining outposts eats up 75% of your playing time and oil patches are modded to never deplete because otherwise :stare:

edit: ^^^ that's a cool base with a cool road. Training copper cable, though? ^^^

seravid fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Nov 12, 2016

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I produce iron plate, iron gears, steel, copper plate, copper cable, green chips, plastic, sulfur, and batteries away from my main base, and train it in, because trains are cool.

And since I do have 160 assemblers making red chips on-site, that's a lot of copper cables.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

seravid posted:

Has anyone managed the rocket a minute here? Wondering about biters, mining outposts and oil. I assume biters are disabled (I tried robot army but it's not good enough), building/replacing mining outposts eats up 75% of your playing time and oil patches are modded to never deplete because otherwise :stare:

edit: ^^^ that's a cool base with a cool road. Training copper cable, though? ^^^

I started doing the math for 1 rocket/minute and got really intimidated. For example, without using any productivity or speed modules, you need 692 crude oil per second to create enough 489 petroleum gas/sec and 167.25 light oil/sec (to turn into solid fuel). (Which is slightly more than you actually need, but the math works out.)

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
You could feed all 160 red circuit assemblers with only 20 wire assemblers. Train capacity is a wash, because the 4000 copper plate you can put into a train car turns into 8000 copper wire which will also fill a train car. But you're taking up twice the belt space and requiring twice the grabbing. Copper Wire is the only thing where the output creates more objects than the input, so you shouldn't belt it. This is my red circuit plant:

BTW I've got 34 sets of the 4 copper wire -> 32 red circuit plans, so 1088 factories.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Thanks for letting me know, now I'm even more sidetracked. :sigh:

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
Can anyone tell me how to load a specific amount of a resource into the train cargo? I am using vanilla game.

I started playing with trains during my last game but would use a new cargo car for each resource (empty oil, full oil, misc). In my new game, I want to be able to load iron plates, copper plates, etc from off-site and train them in using a single train.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
You could use a separate car for each item, and then you can limit the available stacks in them the same way you can limit chests.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Solumin posted:

I started doing the math for 1 rocket/minute and got really intimidated. For example, without using any productivity or speed modules, you need 692 crude oil per second to create enough 489 petroleum gas/sec and 167.25 light oil/sec (to turn into solid fuel). (Which is slightly more than you actually need, but the math works out.)

Building who knows how many mining outposts will be a pain in the rear end, but at least each one provides a couple million ore (on average, with RSO). Even if I surround every pumpjack with beacons, I'll need hundreds of them, thousands of beacons and twice as many modules.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005

RyokoTK posted:

You could use a separate car for each item, and then you can limit the available stacks in them the same way you can limit chests.

I meant I want to use 1 car and designate it to always be loaded to, for example, 500 copper plates and 300 iron plates and 300 gears before it leave the station

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

seravid posted:

Building who knows how many mining outposts will be a pain in the rear end, but at least each one provides a couple million ore (on average, with RSO). Even if I surround every pumpjack with beacons, I'll need hundreds of them, thousands of beacons and twice as many modules.

Another option is to have the factory for doing 1 rocket/minute, but not the resources. Have the whole thing turned off, accumulate the required resources (like ~41,500 crude oil), and then turn the whole factory on. I'm not sure it's even possible to get enough resources to sustain 1 rocket/minute...

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

sharkbomb posted:

I meant I want to use 1 car and designate it to always be loaded to, for example, 500 copper plates and 300 iron plates and 300 gears before it leave the station

you can set filters for train slots the same way you can for your quickbar

middle-mouse click* an empty-slot, or on a spot that has the item you want to reserve for that slot only

* - I changed this to alt+left click, since my middle-mouse button is wonky - so I not sure if this is the right command or not

Zetsubou-san fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Nov 12, 2016

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Solumin posted:

Another option is to have the factory for doing 1 rocket/minute, but not the resources. Have the whole thing turned off, accumulate the required resources (like ~41,500 crude oil), and then turn the whole factory on. I'm not sure it's even possible to get enough resources to sustain 1 rocket/minute...

The factory shall never sleep and the rockets never stop. Kessler be damned.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

seravid posted:

The factory shall never sleep and the rockets never stop. Kessler be damned.
There is no way to autolaunch rockets is there?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

ShadowHawk posted:

There is no way to autolaunch rockets is there?

With the Launch Control mod, sure.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

a7m2 posted:

Could you list what mods you end up using? I want to do the same.

Right now I'm using something similar to the mods used in this playlist, check the description.

I want to kinda just remove biters from the game entirely, though. Any mods that do that/change how purple science is made? I find they add nothing to the game for me, even on peaceful.

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Right now I'm using something similar to the mods used in this playlist, check the description.

I want to kinda just remove biters from the game entirely, though. Any mods that do that/change how purple science is made? I find they add nothing to the game for me, even on peaceful.

Alien Science or Alternate Alien Science.

Diabl0658
Dec 10, 2008

These are the games we play.
So how is this game as far as multiplayer goes? Do you guys regularly play it multiplayer or mostly single player?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Diabl0658 posted:

So how is this game as far as multiplayer goes? Do you guys regularly play it multiplayer or mostly single player?

MP is a lot of fun. It's neat seeing other peoples designs and its very nice not needing to set up e.g. automating assemblers for the hundredth time yourself.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Ambaire posted:

With the Launch Control mod, sure.

I find this mod much nicer: https://mods.factorio.com/mods/binbinhfr/ScoreExtended (it autolaunches rockets as well)

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'm having trouble with my train cargo: I've got a train wagon fully filtered out to accept certain items to a certain amount. The problem is, my requester chests have all the items needed to fully stock the wagon, but the inserter emptying items from the chest to the wagon freezes because it still has an extra item or two in it's hand and physically can't put it in the wagon due to the filter preventing it from going to any other square.

What can I do to solve this, other than leaving a few squares unfiltered (which wouldn't even fix it, eventually it'd get frozen again). It's one of the downsides to having the stack inserter bonus.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

There really isn't an easy way. You can make each inserter pull from a unique requester chest you filtered, but that's not elegant. There should be either an individual inserter, or a "filler" inserter that will put things back if it can't put it down, but that would be hard to design.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Loopoo posted:

I'm having trouble with my train cargo: I've got a train wagon fully filtered out to accept certain items to a certain amount. The problem is, my requester chests have all the items needed to fully stock the wagon, but the inserter emptying items from the chest to the wagon freezes because it still has an extra item or two in it's hand and physically can't put it in the wagon due to the filter preventing it from going to any other square.

What can I do to solve this, other than leaving a few squares unfiltered (which wouldn't even fix it, eventually it'd get frozen again). It's one of the downsides to having the stack inserter bonus.
The fix for this is a bit complicated. Here's what I did:

1) Have as many requester chests as you can with different (even overlapping) requests loading onto the train
2) Connect all those inserters by circuit, and "read hand contents"
3) Have a filter inserter pulling items OUT of the train based on what's in circuit. That way when the loaders jam the filter inserter will remove the jamming item.
4) Have these items go into an active provider chest so they rotate right back to the requestor chests or storage (which is hopefully nearby)

I think you can also set the removing inserter to read hand contents on a different circuit network, then multiply that by negative one, then add that into the original circuit network. That way the remover won't take out as many as it can, but only what is needed to unjam.

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?
I use a requester chest for each item type, and by using long-handed inserters I can stick up to 12 different items into a wagon, i.e.

(R=Requester chest, I=Long-handed inserter, W=Wagon)
code:
RRRRRR
RRRRRR
IIIIII
IIIIII
WWWWWW
WWWWWW
IIIIII
IIIIII
RRRRRR
RRRRRR

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Why would you use red inserters for that?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

RyokoTK posted:

Why would you use red inserters for that?

Because you can stack them two deep on each side?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Oh I see, yeah I should look at the entire picture at once. I need my coffee :shobon:

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

I'm using a digital ocean $10/month droplet to host Factorio for 2-5 people concurrently on. I'm seeing some hitches on it when a big attack comes in or lots of drones are out. I have about 3k drones at the main base and rising right now. We haven't launched a rocket so it isn't in a large base with a bunch of trains running or anything. Is there any tweaking I can do to the game / instance to help stabilize it out as we grow or do I need to save the map down and move over to an AWS compute optimized instance before it all goes pear shaped?

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
has bob removed all the different inserter types from his mod?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Is there any way to mitigate the persistent slowdown in-game? I'm trying to scale up more but the larger my factory and facilities get the slower the game runs. Is that a byproduct of running mods, or just inherent to the game? It's taking me forever to do anything now because even with three exoskeletons I'm moving more slowly than the base guy at the start of a new game.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Aside from upgrading your PC system? Probably not.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

RyokoTK posted:

Is there any way to mitigate the persistent slowdown in-game? I'm trying to scale up more but the larger my factory and facilities get the slower the game runs. Is that a byproduct of running mods, or just inherent to the game? It's taking me forever to do anything now because even with three exoskeletons I'm moving more slowly than the base guy at the start of a new game.

Part of it is unavoidable. Depending on the mods you're using, it could very well be mods (many mods are coded like poo poo).

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Factorio is mostly a single threaded app and eventually you just hit a CPU wall. Sounds like in .15 it's going to be multi-threaded which is going to do wonders for performance. But basically the only answer is to put up with it and wait for them to improve the engine.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Tenebrais posted:

I'm glad they're changing the boilers. It always bugged me that steam engines not only work on sub-boiling water, but that temperature is actually capped at 100C. If nothing else it'd make more sense to have a much higher cap and have boilers start working at 100...
It was a decent hack because its simple to assume you're a spaceman with sci fi heat engines. Specifying it more by turning it into a classic steam engine semi-closed loop is cool but is also the amount of specification where I come back from beyond the pale and can complain about 50 psi steam needing very different pipes and turbines from 800 psi steam.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Zetsubou-san posted:

has bob removed all the different inserter types from his mod?

Sort of. Hit shift+e while hovering over an inserter.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Oh my god this crack. This crack you guys. I got this game on Saturday. HOW DO I ALREADY HAVE FORTY-TWO HOURS.

I finally got the Silo built but I'm going to have to tear down and rebuild the entire loving factory, AGAIN. It's never really worked right; some beautiful layout work in it but the ratios have always been hosed and it's really become murderous at this point.

The good news is, it's going to be SO much easier than last time now that I have robots. Plus, with all my defenses being gatling cannons, so long as I don't mess with the supply belt I shouldn't have to worry about attacks while I'm rebuilding.

The BAD news is, I have no idea what the proper ratios for anything are.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Never tear down.

Never Ratio.

Just always build more and let it run ad-infinum.

Embrace the belt spaghetti and come to love the beast. Eventually you'll be on your n-th factory and it will look good to everyone but you as you keep trying to OCD correct inserter and power pole placement.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Oh I do that already. This game was made for me.

My problem is that I didn't scale up the foundationals (namely, microchips) nearly enough for the later-grade stuff, which is already built deep into the design. So I'm constantly having to staple new complexes on the side and I'm running out of accesses to my main resource belt.

Red and Green science have always run just swimmingly, but I have NEVER been able to get the mix right on Blue. Usually I'm short on purple arms but never once have I had adequate amounts of everything. So I have to constantly tweak the inputs, turn the gear machine on and off to keep it from choking the sorter, manually feed in microchips to the later parts of the belt...

It's aggravating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Build wider, not taller, friend