Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
i can't figure out how to
This poll is closed.
remove 69 3.49%
the 420 21.24%
poll 1488 75.27%
Total: 1977 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
buzzfeed said bryan is a vegetarian and environmentalist so that's what I went with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

That makes a lot more sense.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
My wife's cousin had a kid six months ago, and just changed his name. I don't care and it's harmless but it's also really bizarre.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
vyelkin did you see Jose's POOR MARKING on Mexico's second goal?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

pangstrom posted:

My wife's cousin had a kid six months ago, and just changed his name. I don't care and it's harmless but it's also really bizarre.

is the new name more or less weird than the old one?

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

outlawing kalstrams will only make him more dangerous
it was my plan all along

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
can you really just like change a kids name after birthing it? i thought it would be a lil more complicated than that, considering a baby is still a person and everything.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

vyelkin posted:

is the new name more or less weird than the old one?
I mean, I am name agnostic other than I have a mild dislike of names that sentence your child to correcting spelling and/or pronunciation for the rest of their life ("Kaytlan" etc.), but I guess if you forced me to decide I would say it was an improvement (Brett to Ian).

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I like kalstrams he is an overachieving balt trying to learn the ways of our superior american culture while pretending to be disdainful of it.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

That's totally something that'd happen to an Ian

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

vyelkin posted:

all you'll be doing is punishing responsible kalstrams owners

no such thing

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

pangstrom posted:

I like kalstrams he is an overachieving balt trying to learn the ways of our superior american culture while pretending to be disdainful of it.

Have you heard his opinion on napkins?

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Gin and Juche posted:

Have you heard his opinion on napkins?
haha no I have not. I was not even aware that napkin opinions were possible.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
my two breasts merge into one and it starts swooping you like a magpie

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Gin and Juche posted:

no such thing

i think weve all owned kalstrams at one time or another

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Swan Oat posted:

can you really just like change a kids name after birthing it? i thought it would be a lil more complicated than that, considering a baby is still a person and everything.

Legally it's yours to do as you want so long as you don't get caught being abusive or neglectful in the right states.
Just pay the fee and fill out the forms. Kid can't sign for poo poo so go ahead and change their name every six months. See if you can really screw them up.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

vyelkin posted:

i think weve all owned kalstrams at one time or another

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

bad rear end

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

now that the election is over i can really enjoy this guy's foibles

https://twitter.com/SeanMcElwee/status/798276139219374081

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I have bad social skills but one skill I think I'm pretty good at is seeing where a conversation is going and shutting it down, especially boring fellow-parent conversations. Kid name conversations are the worst and if you want to nip them in the bud say "names become invisible after you meet a person a few times, I mean if after meeting them a few times they must have zero personality or even features or quirks if I still have an opinion about their name" AND THEN EVERYONE WILL STAND UP AND CLAP. They won't but at least they will dislike you for being a smug contrarian which is what you deserve.

pangstrom fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Nov 15, 2016

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

pangstrom posted:

I have bad social skills but one skill I think I'm pretty good at is seeing where a conversation is going and shutting it down, especially boring fellow-parent conversations. Kid name conversations are the worst and if you want to nip them in the bud say "names become invisible after you meet a person a few times, I mean if after meeting them a few times they must have zero personality or even features or quirks if I'm still have an opinion about their name" AND THEN EVERYONE WILL STAND UP AND CLAP. They won't but at least they will dislike you for being a smug contrarian which is what you deserve.

i get tons of compliments both on the fact that my child is supernaturally beautiful but also my excellent name choosing skills. in 6-7 years there will be a bunch of my kid's name running around

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Badger of Basra posted:

now that the election is over i can really enjoy this guy's foibles

https://twitter.com/SeanMcElwee/status/798276139219374081

Hmm, yeah, sure

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

michael tracey should bring back his old avi the new one sucks

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

please stop doxxing me

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

I think lily is the only little girl name I've run into that doesn't make me want to put a spike in someone's brain or invoke the image of a stuffy Victorian.
Ava is neat but it'd take the right kind of person to pull it off

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

boner confessor posted:

i get tons of compliments both on the fact that my child is supernaturally beautiful but also my excellent name choosing skills. in 6-7 years there will be a bunch of my kid's name running around
Yeah, most parents end up chasing the same names, it's weird. We know tons of Henrys (though only a few Deans).

We have an acquaintance who named their dog Henry after we named our kid Henry and that was kind of weird. But like I said I really don't think this stuff matters.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

It's very important to choose a good name for your child that they grow to hate anyways

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
https://twitter.com/lorde/status/798324173034528768

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

the paradigm shift posted:

It's very important to choose a good name for your child that they grow to hate anyways

i like my name

everyone knows how to spell it and it has the weight of family history

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
https://twitter.com/crushingbort/status/798342892842405888

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/798376254470782976

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/AlecMacGillis/status/798369558021206016

quite

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

bullshit. those people love heroin

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Unless the intent was to keep out Mexican tar heroin and try to increase the stuff coming from Europe but that's just silly. Europe can't possibly keep up with demand

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

rack em

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I'd vote for the Rock but only if he is listed on the ballot as "the Rock."

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
wall is built

oh no why are our communities still overrun with heroin

ignores boats and planes

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Oh phew. I'll spread the word around SoCal; the vulnerable families will be so relieved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

uber_stoat posted:

I'd vote for the Rock but only if he is listed on the ballot as "the Rock."

in Texas a few years ago the greens got a candidate on the ballot as firstname "Spicybrown" lastname, so it's possible!

• Locked thread