Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Sagebrush posted:

I didn't spend half an hour last night putting this together to get it overlooked :mad:

Yo heads up. You can run FFMPEG from the console to do this in a couple of seconds without having to reencode anything:
code:
ffmpeg -i myfile.mp4 -c copy -ss 00:01:30 -to 00:03:00 newfile.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Remote Viewer
Jul 9, 2001
Isn't the fact that Delores is the one that awakened Maeve a pretty good argument against 2 timelines?

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
Just checking - I suspect that Bernard heard Abernathy say violent delights have violent ends. I wonder if this could be enough to wake him up.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

The Remote Viewer posted:

Isn't the fact that Delores is the one that awakened Maeve a pretty good argument against 2 timelines?

It could be argued that we don't know what Dolores is actually doing in the modern timeline.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

Junkfist posted:

Ford was loving pissed during that scene because as Bernard said he immediately saw that the whole thing was a setup and a poorly executed scam.

Like he was pissed and also surprised as how brazen and stupid these people were for thinking this would work on him, he was probably thinking about how elaborately to gently caress them over.

This is how I saw it too. As soon as Theresa was sent, he had all the bots Theresa interacted with, especially Bernard, observe her closely enough so that he could make a host of her should he need to kill her. Then, when Bernard found out Theresa was responsible for the attempted leak, Ford started to make her host body. But there was still a chance he wouldn't have to do anything if they didn't go through with anything else. Theresa and that board member had that conversation in front of Hector, but it's possible they didn't engage in a full explanation of their plan in a place Ford could see. Then they execute THAT plan, and Ford can hardly believe these idiots think he's either dumb enough to fall for it or powerless enough that he can't stop it even if he doesn't believe it.He knows he's going to have to go through with his plan to murder Theresa, but her body isn't ready yet so things will be dicey.

I really don't think Board Lady is a host. The 'blood sacrifice' she was talking about wasn't Theresa, it was Bernard. They would have to frame the host's programming to be so bad that Bernard would get fired over it and Ford would lose influence. They would rather keep a, from their perspective, honest, hard-working, and talented programmer like Bernard. And Theresa had a strong relationship with them. But they would have to axe Bernard to get to Ford, hence, blood sacrifice. Ford just used that term in front of Theresa to show his power and freak her out. If Board Lady were a host, she would probably just be advocating for Ford to stay in control of the park since he is so smart and handsome.

Earlier someone argued that whoever took Elsie must be someone higher up if they can mark her down as "on leave" instead of missing. But there's another person who can presumably mark her down as on leave--Elsie herself. She could have either been forced to or convinced to suddenly go "on leave" to cover her disappearance. So it could still really be anyone who took her.

I really liked the Bernard reveal, because it wasn't just "Bernard is a host DUN DUN DUNNNNN OH MAN WHO WOULDA THOUGHT" which a lesser show would have probably used as an end-of-episode stinger. Instead it was just part of a series of larger reveals and it also went into the implications right away. If Ford can presumably kill Theresa and have her replaced, he has probably done so in the past. The robots' programming to not harm humans can be broken. The camera has been and will likely continue to be an unreliable narrator. Ford can make hosts so convincing that a person can know one for a long time and not even suspect they are a host.

This also gets into what the Board wants with the host technology. An army of robots is alright or slave workers is alright. But what about having a Host that looks like the President, assassinates and then becomes a puppet president? Then do the same for some other world leaders. You could even do the same for the leaders of rival corporations.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

KoRMaK posted:

But, breaking bad never used semi-charmed kind of life so maybe there's some taste there to not be so on the nose.

Like not using Paranoid Android and instead going with No Surprises?

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

Just checking - I suspect that Bernard heard Abernathy say violent delights have violent ends. I wonder if this could be enough to wake him up.

I looked for a scene where he may have heard this and I don't think there is one, but it could be offscreen.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

santanotreal posted:

Speaking of Logan, I think part of the two timeline is that after getting captured by the Confederados, Ford turns Logan into a host. (Yes this is not only a two timeline post, it's also a "who else is a host" post.)

Ford knows everything about his guests, so he knows who Logan is, knows well probably that his lawyers are looking into the park, and can now use robot Logan to allow Logans family's company to buy the park and have someone on the inside. It also supports the idea from the past few pages that part of the board may be turned host.

Somehow finding this out is part of what helps change Will into the MiB.

And the more I type this out the dumber some of it sounds so I'm gonna just stop there.

yo this post from a newbie avatar is tickling my senses

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

Zaphod42 posted:

This is so well done. Definitely have some unreliable narrator going on in this show, as if we weren't already sure. This is some possible evidence for 2 timelines thing too, although also not necessarily.

I've been saying from the beginning that we're perceiving things mostly from the hosts' point of view.

Megaspel calls it again

Megaspel posted:

I'm just going to make sure and call the ending ahead of time here. Please don't reveal the spoiler unless you want the final twist of the show to be spoiled for you. The person who we think is the human but turns out not to be is definitely going to be you, the viewer.

Feeling pretty confident with that. I'm going to have to remember to bookmark this post number so I can find it when the series ends.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Like not using Paranoid Android and instead going with No Surprises?
i am so glad that i shared and that somoene else picked up the ball and moved it forward. I overlooked that.

Also, that reminds me, the martian never used bowies major tom.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

KoRMaK posted:

It's mostly based on similar looking actors but sure.

Megaspel posted:

Megaspel calls it again

There's actually a narrator dictating time jumps but we've been programmed not to hear him.

Fooz fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Nov 15, 2016

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

KoRMaK posted:

what im getting at is that, i think sagebrush posts on reddit. or copy/paste reddit posts as his own

lol. yospos buddies, bithc

hey gently caress you rear end in a top hat

i certainly do NOT post on Reddit or c/p that garbage

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

KoRMaK posted:

Not sure I'm missing the point of your post, but you joined SA just a few months before me

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Yea man, so loving time to upgrade to a cool avatar dont you think?

But also, i was here before I got this account so that reg date isnt my real SA brithdate

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Metropolis posted:

This also gets into what the Board wants with the host technology. An army of robots is alright or slave workers is alright. But what about having a Host that looks like the President, assassinates and then becomes a puppet president? Then do the same for some other world leaders. You could even do the same for the leaders of rival corporations.

That's what I think the Board's end game is, installing hosts as replacement puppet dictators and jobs like that. As soon as negotiations get dicey you get hosted.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Seems like Delos's goal. Or soldier-bots if those aren't a thing outside. Ford may be in the right by murdering to ensure that the world's most insidious tech is used only as a pastime.

KoRMaK posted:

I rarely even read names I just see horse doctor, virtual face, neon get out, etc.

Fooz fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Nov 15, 2016

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

oops double post

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
So I'm wondering just how big the park actually is. They were on that train for like 36 hours. That's over 700 miles.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

ozmunkeh posted:

So I'm wondering just how big the park actually is. They were on that train for like 36 hours. That's over 700 miles.

Just read some stuff, over 500 square miles.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

TommyGun85 posted:

If Will and Dolores are in the past and Will is MiB, then why are the robots just as lifelike back then as they are in the present when we've clearly seen that the old models were drastically less realistic?

If you're referring to Old Bill, we are never told he made public release. They do however tell us that they worked on the technology for awhile before being confident in opening.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

KoRMaK posted:

i am so glad that i shared and that somoene else picked up the ball and moved it forward. I overlooked that.

Also, that reminds me, the martian never used bowies major tom.
I mean, the opening scene with Maeve in episode 6 is set to Fake Plastic Trees. That's not exactly subtle.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

I suppose, in a way, a host and a human are already the exact same in terms of consciousness, from an outsider's perspective. I will never experience your consciousness, so to my world, and my consciousness, it doesn't exist, the same applies to a host.

The only way anyone besides me isn't a philosophical zombie, to me, is if consciousness is more of a fluid thing and it's possible to combine different sentences so that it's possible to observe another conscious mind directly. I'll be very interested if it turns out that all the hosts are being operated from one central mind with multiple personalities and the show explores some Buddhist ideas on God.

Arglebargle III posted:

A study just came out on deja vu. Turns out its the feeling you get when a memory comes up with a partial match, the brain does some error checking and you're left with a feeling of recall but no actual memory that matches the trigger.

For example, in this experiment people were read lists of words that pertained to a certain thing or activity, but left out an obvious word. Then they read off words to the participants and asked them whether that word was on the list they'd heard. Words that were not on the list but in the category of the list elicited a sense of deja vu.

For example, you might hear a string of words having to do with car travel, but not hear the word "car." When asked whether you heard the word "car" you'd have a sense of deja vu. You never really heard the word car, but those memories are associated with the word car, and you get some mental error checking that elicits the feeling.

Memory is a complex beast that is much more an active process in humans than in computer systems. In meat brains memories are more a set of cues than complete information and there's a lot of mental horsepower that kicks in to realize a memory when you need it and only when you need it. It's imperfect but incredibly energy-efficient. The human brain runs on about as much energy as a compact fluorescent bulb.

Well it used to be incredibly energy-efficient, now cell phones are running on just a watt or two. Your cell phone would still lock up trying to run a human body though. Just getting the limbs to work right chews up a ton of processing power.

I always heard that it was your brain messing up by confusing a short term memory with a long term memory, but this is very interesting. It's also the same reason eye witness testimony is not gospel in court, people can believe they've seen things they haven't, human memory is unreliable. False memory experiments are very creepy. So much stuff can affect how you recall situations and predict the future, like if you're depressed, you're more likely to see your own failure and exaggerate it in your thoughts, you twist your own memories and dreams with pessimism.

Sagebrush posted:

It doesn't even have to be a disorder -- your brain fills in gaps all over the place every moment you're awake. For instance, both your eyes have a blind spot (where the optic nerve connects to the retina) that is constantly painted over with the stuff around it, just like the Photoshop clone tool.

Try it:

Close your left eye and stare at the crosshair on the green background. Slowly move your head forwards and backwards. Keep staring at the crosshair but watch the black spot out of the corner of your eye. At some point, the spot will just disappear. This is when the image of the spot coincides with your eye's blind spot, and your brain assumes that the yellow field continues. The reverse works as well with your other eye. This works even if you know that the spot is supposed to be there -- it's totally unconscious and automatic.

I assume the hosts' "it doesn't look like anything to me" works the same way.

This is really cool. I've done the blind spot thing before, but this time I moved my head around more so I could actually see the shape of my blind spot which is pretty weird.

All of our senses are basically an approximate reaction to external forces that our brains then have to do gymnastics to figure out anything meaningful. It's really interesting to see neural networks being developed that have all these layers of outline detection, shape detection and object detection. Nothing has made me think AI could be possible in the future as much as Google's deep dreaming stuff has.

Disorders and disabilities are really telling of the flaws in our systems. The paranoia that comes from PTSD makes you think things that may not necessarily be reflected of reality, as I'm sure a lot of other disorders like schizophrenia can do. We make the best guess we can from our experiences and from the tools in our heads that maybe we've had a hand in generating, hopefully at least in some small way.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

KoRMaK posted:

But also, i was here before I got this account so that reg date isnt my real SA brithdate

Look at these losers.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

ozmunkeh posted:

Nah, the train is just for loading new areas. It's on a treadmill and the outside is projected.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Both of the musical interludes with Maeve in episode 6 were loving soul destroying by the way. Especially the tour of the production facilities set to Motion Picture Soundtrack. Maeve's story is so compelling to me because she comes to conciousness by accident. No game, no grand plan, just awareness and the pain it brings. And now that she understands the injustices of her world, she will stop at nothing to escape it.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

tviv is the worst, but this is good

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGQmdoK_ZfY

The human brain is really good at not seeing things.

Haha, motherfucker. I tried this ages ago and was so smug when I spotted the gorilla this time, only to fail to notice the two other details.

curse of flubber fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Nov 15, 2016

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

quote:

I suppose, in a way, a host and a human are already the exact same in terms of consciousness

There's also conciousness/free will-as-an-illusion but it's kind of a narrative dead end.

Re: blind spot

There's also a mess of veins on top of your fovea for some reason that should be very visible, but they get trained out of vision in infancy. You can still notice them in the blue field entoptic phenomenon:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_field_entoptic_phenomenon

Fooz fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Nov 15, 2016

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

Spoiler that poo poo

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

The Remote Viewer posted:

One of many.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Nah, the train is just for loading new areas. It's on a treadmill and the outside is projected.

hrnnnghhhh

yea, why not

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

It could be argued that we don't know what Dolores is actually doing in the modern timeline.

IIRC there's an extremely weird shot in the last Will/Dolores scene of the Pariah episode after they hop onto the train with Lawrence; Will and Lawrence sit down in the car near her and Lawrence offers Will a flask, then there's a cut and Dolores is standing there in the same clothes in the same car alone

The only two reasons I can think of for that shot are to tell us that Dolores remained in the car in some sort of reverie for a very long time (staring at the design of the maze on the lid of the coffins or w/e), or that we just cut to the modern timeline, in which case Dolores is repeating the same journey she went on with William to the same terminus alone; Lawrence is missing from the train this time because the MIB (who's almost definitely Will, if two timelines is true) jacked him up

In fact, if two timelines is true, and I'm not saying I'm convinced, I think the big thing we get in episode 10 is going to be a confrontation between Dolores and Will as they reconvene in the present at the same place where their journey together ended 30 years ago

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

wizard on a water slide posted:

IIRC there's an extremely weird shot in the last Will/Dolores scene of the Pariah episode after they hop onto the train with Lawrence; Will and Lawrence sit down in the car near her and Lawrence offers Will a flask, then there's a cut and Dolores is standing there in the same clothes in the same car alone

The only two reasons I can think of for that shot are to tell us that Dolores remained in the car in some sort of reverie for a very long time (staring at the design of the maze on the lid of the coffins or w/e), or that we just cut to the modern timeline, in which case Dolores is repeating the same journey she went on with William to the same terminus alone; Lawrence is missing from the train this time because the MIB (who's almost definitely Will, if two timelines is true) jacked him up

In fact, if two timelines is true, and I'm not saying I'm convinced, I think the big thing we get in episode 10 is going to be a confrontation between Dolores and Will as they reconvene in the present at the same place where their journey together ended 30 years ago
It's hard to take anything involving Dolores's perspective as evidence because it's been shown to be seriously flawed at so many points. She may just not perceive anyone else at that point.

If anything is taking place in the past, then "Bernard" interviewing Dolores while she is clothed is, because that is actively out of character for Bernard.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Ein Sexmonster posted:

If anything is taking place in the past, then "Bernard" interviewing Dolores while she is clothed is, because that is actively out of character for Bernard.
Doubly so since by all appearances those interviews are taking place in the same secret lab that Bernard can't even see the door to.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The human eye is such a great argument for evolution; it's total garbage from an engineering perspective. There's blind spots, the light sensors are installed backwards, it doesn't capture light well, and the lenses are almost always faulty.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

Ein Sexmonster posted:

If the idea of the photo from Ford's desk is Arnold being on the right and not seen by Bernard because he is a physical replica of Arnold, then maybe those scenes where Dolores is being interviewed clothed in the basement is Arnold, not Bernard?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Yeah that gold thing in the glass case is definitely a peacock statuette.
he took a shot for you and you can't even acknowledge him

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Arglebargle III posted:

The human eye is such a great argument for evolution; it's total garbage from an engineering perspective. There's blind spots, the light sensors are installed backwards, it doesn't capture light well, and the lenses are almost always faulty.

But from a technician's perspective, it works well enough to let you survive to sexual maturity, so who really cares?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Nill posted:

Doubly so since by all appearances those interviews are taking place in the same secret lab that Bernard can't even see the door to.

It's almost definitely one of the hidden labs throughout the park but it isn't the same room. Look at the support pillar behind Dolores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

What was Bernard's son trying to tell Bernard in his dream?

• Locked thread