Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So I turned into a werewolf to fight a blood dragon, which would be great, if in twenty minutes the loving thing ever landed, and if Delphine ever stopped shooting me. And if the quicksave didn't start me half-dead and getting hit by a spell which wasn't there when I saved, so I've been at 1% hp trying to rest for ages, except it won't heal me, because Delphine interrupts it.

e: Sprinting in a single direction for a few minutes it finally lets me rest and revert back so I fight it with my warhammer- except it landed partially in water, so it disables my ability to attack, and it instantly kills and eats me.

I guess I learned my lesson about trying to play as a werewolf.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Nov 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Can anyone confirm they've been able to buy land from the Jarl in Falkreath? I did his kill the bandit quest and every quest in town but I still don't have the option to purchase land. I wanna dump all my poo poo and start working on this house damnit.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Popete posted:

Can anyone confirm they've been able to buy land from the Jarl in Falkreath? I did his kill the bandit quest and every quest in town but I still don't have the option to purchase land. I wanna dump all my poo poo and start working on this house damnit.

I was able to in the vanilla version, pretty low level too.

Col. Roy Campbell
Dec 19, 2008

Popete posted:

I know you gotta talk to the steward to actually buy the property.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Popete posted:

Chillin' in my fine Falkreath house right now.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Yeah sorry this is for the Enhanced Edition. I completed every quest in town I could find and even went around dropping armour in front of townspeople so they would take it to up my standing. Still no option from the Jarl or Nenya to purchase land. I hope it's not weirdly bugged out but I can't think of what else to do.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Wasn't that region notoriously bugged to poo poo in the non-SE version too?

E: Cross-posting from the Cosplay thread because loving :lol: this is too drat funny.

Snatch Duster posted:

The first lady is a dirty High-Elf from morrowind.

Synthwave Crusader fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Nov 15, 2016

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

I've been playing Oblivion recently (Setting the difficulty lower to overcome the hp sponges) (Wish I knew about the +5 mod) and I ran into Black Rock Caverns and had a really fun time in that dungeon. It had a secret third zone and it was fun stumbling upon it. Is there any other dungeons in any of the games like this? (Preferably not quest related, of course)

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I think I had to do three or four quests for the jarl before I got my house, keep trying I guess

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Popete posted:

Yeah sorry this is for the Enhanced Edition. I completed every quest in town I could find and even went around dropping armour in front of townspeople so they would take it to up my standing. Still no option from the Jarl or Nenya to purchase land. I hope it's not weirdly bugged out but I can't think of what else to do.
There's a quest that causes the Jarl's disposition to you to drop too low for you to buy the land.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

Popete posted:

I bought the land but can't get the housecarl. I did all the quests in town yet it still says "Help the people of Falkreath 1/3" in the quest menu.

Edit: Also, I killed that piece of poo poo Lemkil so I could adopt Sissel and apparently I don't have enough room for her, even though I built an extra bedroom and have like 6 beds in my house.

Castor Poe fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Nov 15, 2016

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Castor Poe posted:

I bought the land but can't get the housecarl. I did all the quests in town yet it still says "Help the people of Falkreath 1/3" in the quest menu.

Edit: Also, I killed that piece of poo poo Lemkil so I could adopt Sissel and apparently I don't have enough room for her, even though I built an extra bedroom and have like 6 beds in my house.

You need to build the chests for the kids too. If you have two beds you need two of them before you can adopt one. Yes, it's stupid.

quote:

I just looked it up and wow is there actually a quest to hit a child for an abusive parent wtf.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Man, the mages guild quest kind of... sucks. It was really just two comically large dungeons and a bad puzzle.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

All of the guild quests in Skyrim suck. Even the Bard's College has you going into some fuckin' crypt. I didn't even get to play a lute!

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Paul Zuvella posted:

Man, the mages guild quest kind of... sucks. It was really just two comically large dungeons and a bad puzzle.

I'm playing through it now for the first time and yeah it's real bad. But as noted all guild quests are real bad.

In fact the quests in general are real bad. That's not really why I play TES games though.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Jordan7hm posted:

I'm playing through it now for the first time and yeah it's real bad. But as noted all guild quests are real bad.

In fact the quests in general are real bad. That's not really why I play TES games though.

I don't find the 'main' guild quests that bad. But I really wish it would shove any radiant quests into a separate category on my quest page, and make it clear that yes, this doesn't matter. Also, I hate radiant quests. I wish that guild quests were sort of like the Dawnguard quests, so as you complete them the guild hall gets fancier and more NPCs move in with different services to offer. It would make it feel like you were actually doing something mildly important.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I think that the main guild quests are bad in the sense that you can tell they had to cut a lot out. Granted in some cases you can tell there's nothing that could be done to save it (I'm looking at you Thieves' Guild) but for others the wasted potential is palpable. The College of Winterhold, for example, could have been REALLY GOOD if it had been fleshed out more.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Gully Foyle posted:

I wish that guild quests were sort of like the Dawnguard quests, so as you complete them the guild hall gets fancier and more NPCs move in with different services to offer. It would make it feel like you were actually doing something mildly important.

The Thieves Guild questline does that, which is nice. Of course it's the only nice thing about the TG questline...

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

i am tim! posted:

I think that the main guild quests are bad in the sense that you can tell they had to cut a lot out. Granted in some cases you can tell there's nothing that could be done to save it (I'm looking at you Thieves' Guild) but for others the wasted potential is palpable. The College of Winterhold, for example, could have been REALLY GOOD if it had been fleshed out more.

Yeah the main problem with any of the (non-thieves) guild quests is how incredibly short they are. Two dungeons and a MacGuffin and you're Arch-Mage. Two sets of contracts and you're the Listener. You find out the Companions are werewolves on the first goddamn quest. They're all so... abbreviated. Like someone was given a rough outline of the guild story and thought it was supposed to be the whole thing.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

All this talk about the thieves guild questline is making me question if I should bother with it or not....

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Paul Zuvella posted:

All this talk about the thieves guild questline is making me question if I should bother with it or not....
Gameplay-wise it's not any worse then the Mages Guild questline. It does have the dubious honor of featuring the worst writing in the game. You can do neat drinking game with it. Take sip every time the writers are patting themselves on the back over how clever they think they are.
That said: The Nightingale armour set is cool and appeals to my inner 12 year old. If you like dressing up as a ninja, go for it.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
I think the designers were expecting the player to do a lot of other little side-quests in between doing guild quests. Unfortunately, a lot of the guild quests have a sense of urgency to them that makes it kind of hard for me to distract myself with other quests.

I don't really mind radiant quests though: they point me to a dungeon and give me a little bonus for clearing it. They also guarantee that the dungeon I'm about to check out doesn't have another associated quest involved in it.

Mr.Grit
Jul 16, 2006
As bad as they are, I still find the thieves guild and companions quest lines the most rewarding to me overall. More of a feeling of camaraderie I suppose.
The dark brotherhood and castle volkihar quests and locations always leave a bad taste in my mouth. They're slobs.
I do prefer being a vampire though... The werewolves always feel so weak.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The quests are all: go to dungeon, complete dungeon, probably bring back X (sometimes just kill Y). They have no connection to the guild you're supposed to be doing this stuff for. The thieves guild's are defiitely the worst but the mages guild isn't much better. You can do the thieves guild without stealing and the mages guild without spellcasting, and that's dumb.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Walrus Pete posted:

Yeah the main problem with any of the (non-thieves) guild quests is how incredibly short they are. Two dungeons and a MacGuffin and you're Arch-Mage. Two sets of contracts and you're the Listener. You find out the Companions are werewolves on the first goddamn quest. They're all so... abbreviated. Like someone was given a rough outline of the guild story and thought it was supposed to be the whole thing.

I thought the DB line was one of the better ones all around, and really it's biggest issue is that it's obviously trying to ape the success of the Oblivion DB quest. It's a working story and they do at least justify why you're in charge, what with the previous leadership slaughtered leaving a power vacuum, your character pulling off the biggest assassination of the Era and the closest thing they have to a Divine Prophet dubs thee the Chosen One. I can understand why the established members would look at all that and say "OK, you're in charge."

This is as opposed to the Companions, where they put you "in charge" of this ancient organization over all the other members who had been there much longer than you and were working just as hard on the main quest's as you. Or the College of Winterhold where most everything can be summed up as "A Psijic Monk did it."

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The main questline for the faction is kind of dumb, but there's still plenty of fun sneaking around to do. Just be sure to complete the optional side quests so that you get to see the Thieves HQ develop with better furniture, more NPCs, and tacky trophies.
http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Thieves_Guild_(faction)#Quests

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

One of my mandatory mods from Oldrim was one that just let you be like "Uh, no, I don't wanna be Archmage, how about you give that poo poo to Tolfdir, the guy who actually knows what the gently caress he's doing. I've been taking classes for like a week, tops."

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

What I'd really like to see out of Guild-type questlines in the future is some kind of acknowledgment that when I am the Arch Mage/Guild Master/etc., that I am in charge of the drat thing. I should be able to give out assignments, collect a cut, and manage things in some sense. If I felt like doing a mission on my own, that'd be my business, but I should be able to tell an underling to do it for me.

Similarly, I really wish that as part of the Civil war questline, you got put in charge as Jarl of either a newly created city/town, or you were given an existing hold/Jarldom after the old Jarl was removed for being on the wrong side of the war.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
I remember in Morrowind when you reached the top of the factions, everyone under you would at least acknowledge you as the leader. Not sure if Oblivion did this though, haven't progressed far enough in Skyrim to remember that either.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Lunethex posted:

I remember in Morrowind when you reached the top of the factions, everyone under you would at least acknowledge you as the leader. Not sure if Oblivion did this though, haven't progressed far enough in Skyrim to remember that either.

People at the college refer to me as arch mage, not sure what its like outside.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Considering noone in Skyrim gives two shits about magic (except maybe the court jes, I mean mages), I wouldn't imagine they really cared.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
You can introduce yourself as the archmage of the college when you adopt a child from the orphanage. Along with pointing out you're the harbinger of the companions or that you're the dragonborn, it's one of the options that leaves Constance dumbfounded.

Nobody else outside the college gives a gently caress, however.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I would play the hell out of Mount and Blade: Skyrim. I want to shout hundred people attacking my castle off the walls.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Crappy Jack posted:

One of my mandatory mods from Oldrim was one that just let you be like "Uh, no, I don't wanna be Archmage, how about you give that poo poo to Tolfdir, the guy who actually knows what the gently caress he's doing. I've been taking classes for like a week, tops."

And really, it should be Urag gro-Shub!

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

I'd love to know if he's as old as his dialogue suggests.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
At least as Master Thief you can collect your cut of the earnings every few days from a treasure chest in the cistern. I can't think of any other benefits of being top dog of the other factions though. Morrowind had the same problem too.

That was something Oblivion did pretty well. If you were in charge of the Dark Brotherhood or Fighter's Guild you would get a weekly cut. If you were Arena Champion, you could fight random monsters every week to get some extra dough. I don't remember anything in particular like that for the Thieves Guild, but you got the sick-nasty Gray Cowl. That thing was dope.

It was kind of sad to see Skyrim revert in that regard. Factions were my favorite part of Morrowind, and it's a shame they never figured out how to improve on the idea.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

For all the crap in the main story, I really did appreciate (after I installed the mod that lets me pick what hold the job is in) that they made you actually go out and be an accomplished thief before they hand you the reigns.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Paul Zuvella posted:

http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=14422

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Personally, I would've liked faction conflicts. Completing two questlines triggers a special conflict quest and you have to pick a side.

Jordan7hm posted:

The quests are all: go to dungeon, complete dungeon, probably bring back X (sometimes just kill Y). They have no connection to the guild you're supposed to be doing this stuff for. The thieves guild's are defiitely the worst but the mages guild isn't much better. You can do the thieves guild without stealing and the mages guild without spellcasting, and that's dumb.

I think a lot of problems were due to the devs not wanting to limit players. Forcing players to use the guild's skills would've been too limiting to players to them, as would mandatory breaks between guild quests. To the detriment of overall quality.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

The College does have some neat quests for mastering each magical skill though, if you're willing to grind them all.