Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Oh gently caress me!

https://twitter.com/B0bduh/status/797099065775419392

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

My exact reaction when I saw that.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I just wanna say "holy freaking crap, the colors this episode!"

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

a kitten posted:

I just wanna say "holy freaking crap, the colors this episode!"

The mood lighting was absolutely incredible all through the memory sequence.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
They leaned on that orange and blue color scheme hard. But it worked really well!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/vestenet/status/797506975680647169

https://twitter.com/vestenet/status/797510255219449856

Completely missed this the first time around, but it's kind of hard to unsee now.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The Sakuga Blog (https://blog.sakugabooru.com/2016/11/12/flip-flappers-episode-6/) pointed out that this episode was storyboarded by the series director of Mob Psycho 100...

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the score when cocona and papika went to see auntie together at the end was very familiar did anybody else recognize anything there

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://twitter.com/kAi_m4a/status/797481072829157376

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Super No Vacancy posted:

the score when cocona and papika went to see auntie together at the end was very familiar did anybody else recognize anything there

i dunno, does it sound like another song to you? I know the song that comes with FLIP FLAP FLIP FLAP's single, Over the Rainbow, is arranged and used in the series (ep 1 when theyre playing in the snow) and in the web preview for episode 6, so there'd be precedent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ommszWkE40M
which, by the way, you should totally listen to.
It's sung by Cocona and Papika and it's quite sweet. Someone did their rough translation of the lyrics already.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
random cool thing: papika has a figure coming from medicos. their figures range anywhere from middling to 30k-yen ridiculously detailed.

random sad thing: screenwriter Ayana Yuniko, who has been credited with composition and screenwriting thus far, tweeted that she's only involved with the first half of the show. She says from here on she's watching as a fellow viewer. I dunno if something happened to her or what since apparently she was dropped from Flip Flappers and KinMoza Pretty Days at the same time back in January.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Great episode.

Speaking of things that can't be unseen now lol

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
The cacti also looks like his brain.

I wonder if we'll get an episode where Cocona has that same reaction of pure sanity snapping terror we see in the end credits.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

I loving love this show.

Curious to see how this whole thing with Iro pans out at Flip HQ. Seems like Cocona will have some questions at least.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

I love this show but the weekly 'wait you mean there are lesbians in this show?' is the real treasure.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

This episode cut super, super deep for me. This show is so good, I hope the new writer can keep it up.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm not super worried about the next half because while the first six episodes were great, they were also very in tune with oshiyama's style as a director and writer, so i doubt that's going to change. based on everything i've seen and heard about the guy, he's not the type to let his own work fall apart, so the only way i can personally see things going south is if this turns out to be something everyone on-staff was just absolutely unprepared for and production hits some heavy snags

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Nov 15, 2016

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll/status/798627132175880192

Wonder what's with Papika seemingly changing her fashion in this episode. The shot of Cocona falling and Yayaka looking down make me think there'll be at least some PI stuff - will Papika's new looks be a part of the Illusion, or just her playing around outside?

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Spiritus Nox posted:

https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll/status/798627132175880192

Wonder what's with Papika seemingly changing her fashion in this episode. The shot of Cocona falling and Yayaka looking down make me think there'll be at least some PI stuff - will Papika's new looks be a part of the Illusion, or just her playing around outside?

Maybe it's just me, but in that shot where she's holding Cocona by the cheeks, it kind of looks like Papika...

... Turned into...

... A BOY?!?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Command Ant posted:

Maybe it's just me, but in that shot where she's holding Cocona by the cheeks, it kind of looks like Papika...

... Turned into...

... A BOY?!?

...Hm. That'd be interesting. Especially given she dons at least two other extra-femmy looks in other shots. Sensing that Papika exploring her own identity a bit might be a theme for this episode. Would be nice, given how little we still really know about her.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Command Ant posted:

... Turned into...

... A BOY?!?
i think she just cut her hair in a very boyish fashion and is wearing a boy's uniform, her face seems to be drawn about the same

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Those names :allears:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

That episode.

Man.

Well, I was wrong about this episode being about exploring who Papika is - it was very much about exploring Cocona's confused but decidedly romantic feelings for her. The end of the episode made it pretty clear that the many Papikas Cocona encountered were just illusions - or projections, rather.

The direction and framing through the whole sequence was really something else. Felt like Evangelion at its most surreal and introspective.

Interesting that Yayaka didn't even appear to try to save Cocona there - despite that they still consider each other close enough to confide in each other to an extent.

So...my initial reaction is that Mimi is Papika's first, deceased partner. Sister? Salt's daughter perhaps?

What an episode. Lots to chew on.

These are all broken on my end.

Edit: Ah, works now. Yeah, that exchange was fantastic. I like that Cocona says 'You mean as a friend?' and then basically asks herself '...what sort of stupid question was that?'

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Nov 17, 2016

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Even when it's doing an introspective episode, this show is just... fun. I really like the imagery of the empty city too, I'm a sucker for stuff like that.

Also apparently the Coneheads don't think Yayaka is very good at this. It's a matter of perspective I guess. Makes it look like she's ready to switch sides.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Call me crazy here, you guys, but I'm starting to suspect that this show might just be a wee bit homoerotic.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Call me crazy here, you guys, but I'm starting to suspect that this show might just be a wee bit homoerotic.

Naw, I'm sure that 'fun thing' sexy devil Papika suggested was something totally innocent like video games, our heroine most certainly isn't thinking about banging her bestie, no sir

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i can't believe the best friends meme exists in-universe

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

StandardVC10 posted:

Also apparently the Coneheads don't think Yayaka is very good at this. It's a matter of perspective I guess. Makes it look like she's ready to switch sides.

There was another particular thing just after that. Didn't they call the twins something akin to "amorphous children"? Pretty much confirming they are homunculi or similar.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Mind you, the 'Papika is a separated half of Cocona' theory does continue to gain ground. Notice how the illusion of Papika only ever lasted long enough to let Cocona step outside her boundaries and accept some aspect of herself before vanishing. The realisation of her desires even had them framed as two halves of the same person. I'm increasingly doubtful that Papika will stick around long after Cocona has fully grown into herself as a happy, adventurous, self-confident girl who's comfortable with her sexuality... although the rest of her school's female population won't know what hit them.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Mind you, the 'Papika is a separated half of Cocona' theory does continue to gain ground. Notice how the illusion of Papika only ever lasted long enough to let Cocona step outside her boundaries and accept some aspect of herself before vanishing. The realisation of her desires even had them framed as two halves of the same person. I'm increasingly doubtful that Papika will stick around long after Cocona has fully grown into herself as a happy, adventurous, self-confident girl who's comfortable with her sexuality... although the rest of her school's female population won't know what hit them.

I really loving hope not, honestly. Even aside from shipping concerns that feels way too simple and predictable at this point. Also, I felt like the point of the episode was largely Cocona realising that she loves every aspect of Papika - but more than that she loves the unique synthesis of all those aspects. Papika is like a sister to her, to nurture and be nurtured by, but that's not all Papika is to her. Papika is someone to go out and get into trouble with, someone to explore spooky and strange places with, but that's not all Cocona likes about her. Papika is the object of Cocona's desire, but she's emphatically not just a sex object. Between how this episode focuses Cocona on understanding Papika and Cocona's feelings towards her specifically (Sexy Devil Papika asks: "Do you love me?" Cocona responds: "You're not the Papika I know" SDP: "Does it matter whether I'm the one you know?" Cocona can't answer, but there's a strong implication that she loves Real!Papika specifically), and some of the friction that's arisen between them previously, I'm still hoping Papika turns out to be more than just a Persona.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Nov 18, 2016

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
I'll be honest that was the weakest episode for me so far. This show's at its best when it's oozing creativity, and this one wasn't. Also all those papikas were really annoying.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

You're so wrong.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Pavlov posted:

I'll be honest that was the weakest episode for me so far. This show's at its best when it's oozing creativity, and this one wasn't. Also all those papikas were really annoying.

Younger Sister Papika I'll give you, but Delinquent Pompadour Papika was pretty great.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

StandardVC10 posted:

Younger Sister Papika I'll give you, but Delinquent Pompadour Papika was pretty great.

All bow before the might of the Papidour

Weed Wolf
Jul 30, 2004
I just wish that the directors would cut it out with the fanservice. I love the dynamic between the two MCs and the art style is phenomenal but putting in a loli sister bath scene (especially with two characters who already have shown romantic interest to each other) in the middle just felt skeevy

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
there's definitely fanservice to complain about in previous eps but the bath scene this ep honestly wasn't any worse than similar scenes in shows like yuru yuri or magic of stella, it was actually less creepy than the shower scene that happened a couple weeks ago

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, you couldn't really see anything scandalous and I felt like it was handled in pretty platonic (or, y'know, familial) terms. The henshin sequences are way more risque all by themselves.

The only thing I thought was really egregious about this episode was Cocona's joke vision of hell when Yayaka was messing with her about what that gate was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yeah, you couldn't really see anything scandalous and I felt like it was handled in pretty platonic (or, y'know, familial) terms. The henshin sequences are way more risque all by themselves.

The only thing I thought was really egregious about this episode was Cocona's joke vision of hell when Yayaka was messing with her about what that gate was.

they had the freakin triangles that were too far for English disgaea.

• Locked thread