Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Chill la Chill posted:

I wish I could do that with infinity starters and 40k, but whenever I've tried to convert 40k fans they've said it was "too complicated." From 40k players. :stare:

yes I know they are either too committed and don't want to use proxies or obligatory "they can't handle an actual strategy game" snark

Infinity has a poo poo ton of special rules though. Like, drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

spectralent posted:

If your friends aren't cool with wolfenstein nazis in their WW2 movie games then they can gently caress right off.

I'm having GI Joe Team Yankee US and nobody can stop me :colbert:

http://www.shapeways.com/product/SVEZNLF4M/gv06b-15mm-sentry-tank?optionId=6159974
http://www.shapeways.com/product/VTN9EFALX/ta08a-attack-gyrocopter-15mm?optionId=35886464

You are welcome friend. Also make sure to look into the old GI Joe Train Set Tyco made.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Leperflesh posted:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_novels_by_release_date

I'm gonna guess that the EU was garbage by some time in 1979, but I haven't read those books, so :shrug:

e. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Splinter_of_the_Mind%27s_Eye
Yup this looks to have been awful, so: the EU was awful from the very first star wars novel.

How could this be bad

"Luke Skywalker expected trouble when he volunteered to follow Princess Leia on her mission to Circarpous to enlist their Rebel underground in the battle against the Empire. But the farm boy from Tatooine hadn't counted on an unscheduled landing in the swamplands of Mimban…hadn't counted on any of the things they would find on that strange planet."

Is the clone wars and rebels cartoon EU? Those are both pretty good

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

goodness posted:

How could this be bad

"Luke Skywalker expected trouble when he volunteered to follow Princess Leia on her mission to Circarpous to enlist their Rebel underground in the battle against the Empire. But the farm boy from Tatooine hadn't counted on an unscheduled landing in the swamplands of Mimban…hadn't counted on any of the things they would find on that strange planet."

Those are both canon apparently. Lol at maul being alive but yeah Rebels is mostly good.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Can someone explain to me why anyone cares about Darth Maul? He didn't really do anything. Is it just because he has the only film version of a double-bladed lightsaber?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

He had the best dialogue of any character in the prequels.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Avenging Dentist posted:

Can someone explain to me why anyone cares about Darth Maul? He didn't really do anything. Is it just because he has the only film version of a double-bladed lightsaber?

I never understood why people liked him from the movies. He's at least a little interesting in rebels.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Avenging Dentist posted:

He has an interesting visual. Same reason anyone cares abut boba fett, boba fett does nothing and gets killed in a comedy scene by a blind guy mr magooing him.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Avenging Dentist posted:

Was the Star Wars EU ever good? If the Holiday Special is EU, it was doomed from the start. I don't think I ever read a Star Wars book that compared favorably to even Warhammer books.

Lost Stars is the only good book from the new lineup. Lando and shattered empire are tolerable comics. Lando is mostly good because of the ending.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

LordAba posted:

At least they aren't 50 variations of "special save on top of armor save" or "running slightly faster than everyone else." I will say that it needs a mansions of madness-like companion app.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

goodness posted:

I never understood why people liked him from the movies. He's at least a little interesting in rebels.

I'm hoping his severed legs somehow survived too and became a sith lord and they have to fight it.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

kingcom posted:

I'm hoping his severed legs somehow survived too and became a sith lord and they have to fight it.

Needs lightsaber knees.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

kingcom posted:

He has an interesting visual. Same reason anyone cares abut boba fett, boba fett does nothing and gets killed in a comedy scene by a blind guy mr magooing him.

At least Boba Fett has dialog. And putting him alongside Vader (an actual interesting villain) gave him a bit of a hook.

His death was dumb but then RotJ is dumb in general.

e: Ok apparently Darth Maul has some throwaway dialog in Episode I. I should stress that Boba Fett is pretty boring but he had a bit more potential given that Empire actually set him up to be a real threat. Darth Maul got killed off in the same movie he was introduced (much like Kylo Ren).

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Nov 15, 2016

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

spectralent posted:

If your friends aren't cool with wolfenstein nazis in their WW2 movie games then they can gently caress right off.

I'm having GI Joe Team Yankee US and nobody can stop me :colbert:

You'll be wanting some of these then

http://company-b-models-and-miniatures.myshopify.com/collections/pop-culture-decals/products/afv-decal-gi-joe

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

Needs lightsaber knees.

Lightsaber dong, how could you miss the obvious.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

goodness posted:

How could this be bad

I have read this book and will defend it as an interesting historical work. The author, Alan Dean Foster, allegedly ghost-wrote the original Star Wars novelization. As a book it is nothing special, but the ending has Luke and Leia "falling into each other's arms." The whole thing is like a weird failed prototype for The Empire Strikes Back. Internet strawmen that argue that Lucas had an overarching plan for Star Wars from the beginning beware.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

kingcom posted:

Lightsaber dong, how could you miss the obvious.

Because that joke was made (and done to death) before many posters were born?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I keep reading that title as Sphincter of the Mind's Eye and that sums up the EU pretty well.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

habituallyred posted:

I have read this book and will defend it as an interesting historical work. The author, Alan Dean Foster, allegedly ghost-wrote the original Star Wars novelization. As a book it is nothing special, but the ending has Luke and Leia "falling into each other's arms." The whole thing is like a weird failed prototype for The Empire Strikes Back. Internet strawmen that argue that Lucas had an overarching plan for Star Wars from the beginning beware.

I am legit interested in this book merely as a historical curiosity and all the behind the scenes stuff regarding it. I doubt the writing could be more stilted and hamhanded than GoT and everybody seems to love that poo poo.

But yeah, I spent too much of my childhood reading star wars EU paperbacks from the local library and they were all terrible.

On the topics of minis though, I really want to play Imperial Assault but I have no one to play it with. Please send help.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Four Score posted:

Because that joke was made (and done to death) before many posters were born?

Spaceballs is old, yeah.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The sand dude riding the Bantha is a really good mini.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

LordAba posted:

That's because they are all universal. I'm sure if you added up all the USRs and special rules for each model in 40k you'd get more special rules than in Infinity.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

But how many rules for shields does Infinity have? Hmmmmm???

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

Leperflesh posted:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_novels_by_release_date

I'm gonna guess that the EU was garbage by some time in 1979, but I haven't read those books, so :shrug:

e. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Splinter_of_the_Mind%27s_Eye
Yup this looks to have been awful, so: the EU was awful from the very first star wars novel.

Splinter of the Mind's Eye has a soft in my heart because:

1) it was the first and only star wars book I ever read, and I was 12 when I read it so I thought it was good (much like 12 year olds thought warhammer was good).

2) it was a novelization of the original script for the 2nd start wars movie. The script was written while A New Hope was still in production and they figured any sequel would have a dismal budget. When star wars was super successful and they got big cash for a sequel they made Empire and published the old script as a novel.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Chill la Chill posted:

Spaceballs is old, yeah.

I double-checked just to make sure it wasn't like a 90's movie or something, and it's '87 :corsair:

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Cinnamon Bear posted:

On the topics of minis though, I really want to play Imperial Assault but I have no one to play it with. Please send help.

I can send you a rope so we can both escape that sad fate. :negative:
(Seriously IRL friends, it's good!)

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Iceclaw posted:

I can send you a rope so we can both escape that sad fate. :negative:
(Seriously IRL friends, it's good!)

I live overseas so the number of IRL friends who can deal with text heavy games is very slim. But at least I can paint all these stormtroopers!

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Chill la Chill posted:

The sand dude riding the Bantha is a really good mini.

It's also super fun to play, it just stomps all over everything. Technically the dude on top has a gun but he's really just a cheerleader and pair of hands if the bantha needs to open a door.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Someone in the board games thread once proposed an Imperial Assault PbP and was ostensibly set to GM it, then fell off the face of the earth. It'd be a lot of work for the GM admittedly.

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
RE: star wars chat, for old EU I mostly only thought the X-Wing novels were good (and maybe the thrawn stuff, in limited quantities).
And even then it was mostly Allstone stuff, because the Wraiths books were where Star Wars didn't take itself seriously at all (except for the occasional emo bit) and suddenly it's good because it blatantly accepted that Star Wars is dumb.

On the other hand, I, Jedi is a book that (against all forms of common sense) exists and was published.
I've not read any of the New Jedi Order crap yet, but I'm sure it's going to be about as impressive as all the prequel novels, and the stuff that was published before Empire was a thing.

For new EU, I've not watched Clone Wars, but Rebels was pretty good (what I saw of it anyway), for a kids show.

Star Wars just needs to stop taking itself seriously, sort out the Force related stuff so it isn't written as bullshit as it has been, and then just run with it, and we'll suddenly have good Star Wars again. Especially if people read from the ESB playbook, rather than the RotJ one.
I doubt that will happen, of course, given recent trends, but I guess anything is possible and I might be pleasantly surprised.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

The old EU was mostly garbage but some of it was amazing. Like Lightsaber Knees Man.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

:vince:

Thank you, friend.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
another friend of a friend trying to get me into bloodbowl and 40k

jesus its annoying in 2016 people still think GW games are the only option

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Moola posted:

GW games are the only option!

Shame on you, Moola!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Moola posted:

another friend of a friend trying to get me into bloodbowl and 40k

jesus its annoying in 2016 people still think GW games are the only option

Well you live in the UK, dude. GW has their tendrils in there much deeper than here in the US, as I understand it. Here, GW space has gradually taken up fewer and fewer LGS space the last couple years. I suppose that's what GW wanted ever since they started aggressively opening shops right next to LGSs a decade ago.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
trying to stop him spending 120 loving pounds on a forgeworld Unclean one

that's like, 2 good board games and a poo poo/ok one

showed him this for a fraction of the price

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zombicide-...e+zombie+bosses

£30 for three models that imo are better sculpts too

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Get him to buy food chain magnate instead.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
loving coolaid drinkers are loving annoying

they act like 12 year olds in a candy store with no self control

"this model is so pretty though its totally worth £100 :iamafag:"

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

goodness posted:

He was very heavily marketed for months before TPM came out, and that kind of marketing can have quite an effect on the pre-teen mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
My friends and I were all pretty well resolved not to buy into the new Blood Bowl up until a few other people we never interact with at the FLGS said they wanted to pre-order. Then my friend cracked. I asked him why and he said, "I didn't want to miss out on all the fun." And my head exploded and showered him with bone fragments and alcohol scarred globs of my brain.

• Locked thread