Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

CelticPredator posted:

The doctor who said that is a hack and idiot.

Was he really? Because Dr Strange relied upon him to help save the Ancient One, didn't he?

Would Dr Strange let a hack and an idiot operate on someone he cared about>?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

He was presented as being inferior to Dr. Strange, sure, but I got the impression that the hospital was some super top of the line hospital with elite doctors. Dr. Strange was supposed to be the best of the elite, which is why he got the perk of being able to pick and choose his patients.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

DorianGravy posted:

I enjoyed the movie a lot. Very fun visually, but I wish it has more emotional resonance. Fleshing out Dr. Strange's gradual change of heart and his asking for forgiveness would have helped. The only part of the movie that really fell flat for me was at the end, when Dr. Strange essentially sentenced the antagonists to eternal suffering. This was especially odd considering the remorse he showed at killing the other guy. The antagonists seemed more misguided than plain evil and, if they really believed what they said, they were the sort of "greater good" bad guys. They did murder a number of people, but I still would have much preferred Strange to try to reach out them rather than essentially sending them to hell while quipping about it. Other than that, fun movie.

I thought he was reaching out to them when he was talking to the one after putting him in the weird cage vice thing. He also wasn't actually killing them, and they really seemed to want it, so he just gave them what they wanted. It's also playing off of the earlier scene when he told Christine that his work was saving thousands, and he'd be wasted in an ER. It's a greater good kinda thing.

I thought it was a great movie if only because, for once, it's a marvel movie where the answer didn't involve punching stuff until you get what you want.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Detective No. 27 posted:

He was presented as being inferior to Dr. Strange, sure, but I got the impression that the hospital was some super top of the line hospital with elite doctors. Dr. Strange was supposed to be the best of the elite, which is why he got the perk of being able to pick and choose his patients.

You're exactly right.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The other doctor is a villain in the comics so if they do end up going that route I guess you could say retroactively that the bad guy doctor is not how most doctors are.

I doubt they're going that route though, based on how the movie played out and because there are way bigger villains to get through before getting to him.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Codependent Poster posted:

Strange does not have contempt for his work. He's arrogant, yes, but the movie clearly shows that Strange wants to save lives. He doesn't do anything to jeopardize the patient, it's that he's that good that he can do the surgery while BS'ing around.

When it's serious, like the bullet he removes from the guy's neck, you see that Strange is determined to save the person and he cuts out the BS.

You're misunderstanding. Strange wants to save lives, but he only wants to save the lives he thinks nobody else can save. On those occasions where he has to take on a job that he considers beneath his talents, he dicks around because it means nothing to him. That's what I mean by holding the work in contempt.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Jedit posted:

You're misunderstanding. Strange wants to save lives, but he only wants to save the lives he thinks nobody else can save. On those occasions where he has to take on a job that he considers beneath his talents, he dicks around because it means nothing to him. That's what I mean by holding the work in contempt.

What scene in the movie shows him acting carelessly and endangering the life of a patient? The one where he talks to other doctors at the tail end of his first surgery?

Not about him picking and choosing his jobs that he discusses during the car drive. If that's the scene you meant, that's not the scene anyone was talking about during your last post.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Jedit posted:

I think they had to make a fine line here because in the comic origins Strange is not sympathetic at all before his accident. (But his origin story doesn't come up until after he's been established firmly as a character, so there's less of the 'oh, this guy is actually a dick.') At most you can say 'well, he's not HURTING anyone much...'

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Drifter posted:

Was he really? Because Dr Strange relied upon him to help save the Ancient One, didn't he?

Would Dr Strange let a hack and an idiot operate on someone he cared about>?

I swore he called him a hack, but I could be misremembering.

If not, then forget what I said.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

If Strange called him a hack it's because he is brilliant to the point of being arrogant and pompous. Everyone is inferior to him. This is something reaffirmed when he is looking at his hands after the accident. Christine says they did the best they could after the time it took to get him to the hospital, which leads to Strange lamenting "I could have done better..."

...and even if Stuhlbarg's doctor was woefully incompetent, it doesn't change my point that they just shouldn't have mentioned that the patient was an organ donor.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Nov 14, 2016

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Just caught this last night. I enjoyed it a lot because it was so weird for a superhero movie (I haven't seen any Phase 1 MCU movies except Avengers, and no other MCU movies besides Ant-Man and Deadpool) and it was an origin for someone I'd never heard of.

My biggest complaint (besides some weak writing) was Cumberbatch's accent. There was NO reason to make him do a lifeless American accent and I thought it really detracted from all his quips and wit. Cumberbatch is a fantastic cocky prick in Sherlock and would translate so well to Strange, but they made him strip all the poetry out of his voice. I'm sure it's some "B-b-but in the comics he was American!" nonsense, but his American-ness has nothing to do with the plot and the accent ruined her performance, so they should've made a different choice.

Still, solid time at the movies, visually stunning, and actually made me mildly interested in Thor: Ragnarok so call it a win.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The accent thing is crazy to me - a huge part of the actor's popularity is his crazy voice.

mary had a little clam posted:

NO reason to make him do a lifeless American accent and I thought it really detracted from all his quips and wit. Cumberbatch is a fantastic cocky prick in Sherlock and would translate so well to Strange, but they made him strip all the poetry out of his voice. I'm sure it's some "B-b-but in the comics he was American!" nonsense, but his American-ness has nothing to do with the plot and the accent ruined her performance, so they should've made a different choice.

Still, solid time at the movies, visually stunning, and actually made me mildly interested in Thor: Ragnarok so call it a win.

I'm no comic book expert, but no one liked Dr. Strange enough to care if he was English in the film. He's always been less popular than others - easily below Daredevil or Iron Man, before their recent adaptations. The care factor would be below Black Nick Fury, below Tall Wolverine, below Dead CIA Jimmy Olsen and probably below whatever happens on Agents Of Shield.

Ragnarok got me hyped because of Waititi's involvement - What We Do In The Shadows is one of my favourite comedy movies. Check out his reddit ama - he's got big plans and none of them seem to involve the average films that Ragnarok succeeds. It's hard to see what he's joking about, but:

quote:

Jeez. I better see Winter Soldier... no joke.

quote:

I made an effort to ignore the fact there are other Thor films.

When asked 'How difficult was it to fit your vision for Thor: Ragnarok into the existing continuity of the MCU?'

quote:

I didn't bother trying.

well why not fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Nov 14, 2016

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They should have gotten Steven Rattazzi to dub over Cumberbatch.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

NmareBfly posted:

The problem to me is that's NOT the moment he makes the transition. He basically does that off-screen. We have the moment on Everest when he I guess figures out how to overcome his pride by waving his hands in a circle, but even then the moment of success isn't shown -- we cut back to A1 and Mordo and Strange just falls out of a hole in the air ready to be the sorcerer supreme. There's stuff about his eidetic memory and being able to read and remember lots of books very fast but none of his magical talents feel earned in any real way.

The unclear timeline makes this worse, especially because we have a solid tie-in to the rest of the MU with the line about helping a soldier with a crushed spine right before Strange gets into his car accident. From that alone, we know that the ENTIRE movie takes place after CW

A big part of Mordo's comic book motivations revolve around how Strange is destined to be sorcerer supreme despite Mordo dedicating his life to magic, so they are probably just setting that up.

As for the second bit I snipped out: Watch Iron Man 2 again (Also the directors have stated that it's not Rhodes that he could have been operating on). More than likely the soldier with back injuries piloting a suit of experimental armor was the test pilot of the Hammertech armor.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

mary had a little clam posted:

Just caught this last night. I enjoyed it a lot because it was so weird for a superhero movie (I haven't seen any Phase 1 MCU movies except Avengers, and no other MCU movies besides Ant-Man and Deadpool) and it was an origin for someone I'd never heard of.

My biggest complaint (besides some weak writing) was Cumberbatch's accent. There was NO reason to make him do a lifeless American accent and I thought it really detracted from all his quips and wit. Cumberbatch is a fantastic cocky prick in Sherlock and would translate so well to Strange, but they made him strip all the poetry out of his voice. I'm sure it's some "B-b-but in the comics he was American!" nonsense, but his American-ness has nothing to do with the plot and the accent ruined her performance, so they should've made a different choice.

Yeah this was the big distraction to me. I found him to be mush-mouthed, and the times he approximated an accent well, I was left wondering why that had to be an issue when he could have easily used an English accent and used some of the cool notes found in it, some ice cold burns in a upper class English brogue would have been tight.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I really liked Mordo, thought he had the most coherent throughline of any character in the movie.

He's like an alcoholic who comes from a dark place, the ancient one is his sponsor who cleans him up and gives his life purpose, only to find out his sponsor has actually been drinking constantly and no one else actually thinks the spiritual rules are that important, it totally breaks him, and Eijiofor conveys a real sadness.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I'm not entirely sure, but wasn't Mordo more along the lines of "if you're using Dark Arts for personal gain, however small, then you need to be put down."

Like, he didn't try to ruin Strange when he saved the universe. He was just pissed at the Ancient One for using it to extend her life.

I'm probably just creating a narrative, however. I'm not sure what I'm saying here is actually true.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

He's pissed for a number of reasons. The Ancient One was using the power of the Dark Dimension to prolong her life while making the act of drawing power from the Dark Dimension verboten so she's a big hypocrite, and a selfish one if you don't believe she was doing it for good reason. Using the Dark Dimension also had the potential of drawing Dormammu to Earth, and Mordo explicitly lays this blame of Dormammu's arrival on the Ancient One. "Natural law" is a strange phrase because clearly Mordo does not have a problem with sorcery generally loving with physics or space, but screwing with time is way beyond normal sorcery and will supposedly have grave consequences, so he's pissed at that. Strange used time to win the day but wouldn't have had to unless the Ancient One inadvertently led to Kaecilius' betrayal and Dormammu's arrival so it's all intertwined.

I think what Pangborn was doing was ok at first, but Mordo realizes that no sorcerers other than him can be trusted and so Pangborn has to go. Having fewer sorcerers will open up Earth to other threats, but he believes that Earth was almost lost to the Dark Dimension because of the Ancient One and her disciples so getting rid of them doesn't seem any more dangerous than having them around.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

greatn posted:

it totally breaks him, and Eijiofor conveys a real sadness.

Chiwetel is so good at that. I still think he should have won an Oscar for 12 years a slave.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

twerking on the railroad posted:

Chiwetel is so good at that. I still think he should have won an Oscar for 12 years a slave.

The literal saddest utterance of "I'm sorry..." in movie history.

nowthatyouasked
Oct 30, 2016
Holy poo poo, I didn't even notice his accent, and I'm a fan of his. Then again, the only time an accent has really bothered me was Emma Watson in Perks of Being a Wallflower.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
It seemed super cheap and silly but holy poo poo did I crack up at the exchange

- Mister ...
- Doctor.
- Mr. Doctor.
- My name is Strange.
- Well, who am I to judge?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
movie was brilliant

I'm a fan of Mage the Ascension and they made a pretty good mage film (Mikkelsen played a brilliant low wisdom Ladder falling to the Abyss)

also nice House MD nod to the setup of the time solution, he even had two sidekicks with him that he could leave dumbfounded!

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Detective No. 27 posted:

I liked how that tied into him never trying something that he thought he'd fail at, actually. Fun little personality note, just like the reason that he knows the inside of a broom closet in his hospital so very well.

And maybe I misread how he set up that (ending) time loop, but I didn't think he was abusing "save-states" or anything like I'd thought he would. Instead, I read it as a loop that Dormammu percieved that Strange couldn't, so as far as the Strange at the end of the movie knows, he walked into Dormammu's realm, heard Dormammu scream about making it stop, and knew that his plan had already succeeded over the multiple loops. So end!Strange didn't actually die brutally over and over again, but he did know that all of the other Stranges that existed in that time loop had. Does that make any sense?

Also, joking and chatting during surgery is really common, guys. Most med schools have a program to literally get your MD and PhD at the same time, so that being presented as proof of his supergenius made me giggle a bit.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

I liked this movie. It was fun but felt the last act felt a bit rushed. Dormamu seemed a bit too goofy CGI and reminded me of the hell scenes from Spawn mixed with the MCP from TRON.

Sassy magic mads deserved a better and prouder defeat.

Cumberbatch was alright as well, not fantastic, but the only person who could have done Steven Strange right was Andrew Prine in the 70s and there's no cloning technology capable of making that work in 2016

https://youtu.be/Fax1uhZxvEA

G-III fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Nov 15, 2016

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

G-III posted:

I liked this movie. It was fun but felt the last act felt a bit rushed. Dormamu seemed a bit too goofy CGI and reminded me of the hell scenes from Spawn mixed with the MCP from TRON.

Cumberbatch was alright as well, not fantastic, but the only person who could have done Steven Strange right was Andrew Prine in the 70s and there's no cloning technology capable of making that work in 2016

https://youtu.be/Fax1uhZxvEA

Think you mean Vincent Price in the 1960s.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ravenfood posted:

And maybe I misread how he set up that (ending) time loop, but I didn't think he was abusing "save-states" or anything like I'd thought he would. Instead, I read it as a loop that Dormammu percieved that Strange couldn't, so as far as the Strange at the end of the movie knows, he walked into Dormammu's realm, heard Dormammu scream about making it stop, and knew that his plan had already succeeded over the multiple loops. So end!Strange didn't actually die brutally over and over again, but he did know that all of the other Stranges that existed in that time loop had. Does that make any sense?

Mostly. Kind of like how in The Prestige, the Strange who succeeds is not the one who has to deal with any of the pain or death of the process but I think it's a bit misleading or confusing to say "all of the other Stranges". If this is a time loop, it was only ever the one Strange and he did die over and over again but without remembering it because the experience and memories were reversed/erased. I think Dormammu would be like the viewer of a movie who sees an actor walk through a door. If Dormammu keeps rewinding over and over, he sees time reverse and replay out the same way but the actor only ever perceived walking through the door once but he's aware that home viewers might endlessly rewind and replay his performance. Except in this case, the actor is the one who chose to make the movie rewind. Dormammu's dimension is like how our dimension exists outside the dimension of a movie.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

greatn posted:

Think you mean Vincent Price in the 1960s.
I'll stick with my choice of 70s andrew prine, thank you.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Then you give me no choice but to make Dr Strange starring 1930s Lon Cheney Jr.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Ravenfood posted:

That's not the way I read it. Strange's delivery of the "I've come to bargain" line seemed to get more confident with each iteration even after the first one or two, and Dormammu said that he'd make him suffer for all eternity, and Strange seemed to accept this as the tradeoff he'd gambled on. The one wielding the Eye seems to be a little apart from time, and that's how the reverse-time fight in Hong Kong was possible anyway. Fortunately Dormammu, having no experience with time as such, couldn't do what Kaecilius did.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

That's not the way I read it. Strange's delivery of the "I've come to bargain" line seemed to get more confident with each iteration even after the first one or two, and Dormammu said that he'd make him suffer for all eternity, and Strange seemed to accept this as the tradeoff he'd gambled on. The one wielding the Eye seems to be a little apart from time, and that's how the reverse-time fight in Hong Kong was possible anyway. Fortunately Dormammu, having no experience with time as such, couldn't do what Kaecilius did.

Yes, definitely this. He's remembering each iteration, which comes across in Cumberbatch's performance, if not necessarily the dialog.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

G-III posted:

Sassy magic mads deserved a better and prouder defeat.

I'd buy 100 tickets if the sequel was Hannibal Eats The Marvel Universe.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Hopefully every MCU movie from now on ends with Strange showing up at the climax and rewinding the whole movie so nothing bad ever happens.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Electromax posted:

Hopefully every MCU movie from now on ends with Strange showing up at the climax and rewinding the whole movie so nothing bad ever happens.

"Clean escapist fantasy"

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I, personally, would have liked to see Dave Chappelle as Dr Strange.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Actually how about the best Actor in American history, John Wilkes Booth?

Don't agree with his politics but holy poo poo what a performer.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
So its been a little while since I saw it, here are some random thoughts.Spoilers.

-The car crash was ridiculous. That would kill any human being. But Hollywood, so whatever.
-Rachel McAdams was given no opportunity to shine as a character because she was ancillary to everything that happened. I think the main reason Tilda Swinton was cast as The Ancient One is so people didn't raise a gender poo poo storm. If the Ancient One was cast true to the comics, McAdams would have been the only woman in the movie really.
-Some of the humor was good, the wifi password thing would have been great if it hadn't been in every preview, but often the humor was too extended or came at terrible times, like immediately after the death of a character. This, and every Marvel movie, seems to think that if you aren't laughing, you aren't having fun. If I could change one thing, it would be to pull back on the 'comedy' in this movie by about 50%.
-At the end, shouldn't Strange have just stayed in the loop? By sacrificing just himself, he could have kept Dormammu, the greatest evil Strange knows to exist in the universe, locked out of the game forever. Or alternatively, why wouldn't Dormammu just ignore Strange and go about his business. To what degree does the Time Gem lock time, especially in Dormammu's realm? It's all a little vague.
-Wish I had seen it in 3D and high. I feel like if ever there was a movie to see stoned, this was it.

Speaking of the time gem, that poo poo really confused me. When activated, does it rewind time/entropy in a local area, or across the entire universe? It seems to be local, as with the apple. So what happens if someone walks into a room and Strange rewinds time in the room to a time before they walked in? That would expel them from the room, but would they then be in the future relative to when they entered the room, or in the past about to walk into the room again?

Overall, it was OK. Nothing ground breaking, but clearly Marvel isn't going for art, they just want to push out 2 hours of entertainment and make a few hundred million.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Benson Cunningham posted:

Speaking of the time gem, that poo poo really confused me. When activated, does it rewind time/entropy in a local area, or across the entire universe? It seems to be local, as with the apple. So what happens if someone walks into a room and Strange rewinds time in the room to a time before they walked in? That would expel them from the room, but would they then be in the future relative to when they entered the room, or in the past about to walk into the room again?

My impression is that it's not like Mordo's boots, which have a specific power. Instead, it grants broad control over time that can be applied at different scales with different effects according to the manipulations of its operator. Those sorts of contradictions you're talking about are presumably the sort of dangers that Wong warns Strange about.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
There's already implied weirdness when he uses magic to restore the page of the book that was stolen - it doesn't retroactively prevent the bad guys from learning its contents or really affect much outside the book itself.

So I'd guess you'd end up outside the room, in the future relative to when you entered the room, because time passed outside the room as normal and it was only a local rewinding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I got the impression that Strange set up a time limit on his loop, giving himself X minutes to find and talk with Dormammu. If Dormammu killed Strange or just turned around and went about his business, he'd find himself back where he started Groundhog Day-style once Strange's loop expired. Only Strange, with control of the Eye, could stop the loop. It wasn't an active thing that Strange had to maintain otherwise it'd be broken as soon as he was attacked or killed. He programmed a loop in the universe's code.

• Locked thread