Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Better
This poll is closed.
John Zandig 107 75.35%
DJ Hyde 35 24.65%
Total: 142 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Junpei Hyde posted:

Did he say anythign partticularly dumb during KOT or was he just poo poo

I haven't finished it so I can't speak to night 3 but he's just a lovely announcer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

When he was calling ECW's shitshow, he was a solid fit. But once you get him away from that smoke poo poo out of lightbulbs crowd, his ability to communicate is limited. I thought he did well during his WWE run simply because he paid attention to the action(neither JR/King/JBL/Cole/whoever were that interested at that point).

What I'm saying is Joey might be able to get away with ruining IWA-MS's shows and not have any effect on their bottom line. Even CZW wouldn't let him have a live mic.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
While it is up https://twitter.com/TJHawke411/status/798337657327722496

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Wow, that actually IS worse.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/Kimber_Lee90/status/798349107056103424

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Joey Styles and Matt Striker are the best argument in favor of WWE homogenizing its announcer style. Because when left to their own devices, they're the most insufferable smarks and that kills the product they're trying to put over.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Indie wrestling has a large problem with commentary in general. A handful have commentary that at the very least doesn't take away from the rest of the show but most companies, even some of my favorites, have commentary working against them the entire time. It certainly doesn't help that some of the more visible names in freelance commentary are chodes like Matt Striker and Joey Styles, who have never added a single eye to a company but get work solely for being WWE/ECW alumni

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
CZW should hire Joey Styles.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Say what you will about Joey Styles, but he did punch out JBL.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

oatgan posted:

Indie wrestling has a large problem with commentary in general. A handful have commentary that at the very least doesn't take away from the rest of the show but most companies, even some of my favorites, have commentary working against them the entire time. It certainly doesn't help that some of the more visible names in freelance commentary are chodes like Matt Striker and Joey Styles, who have never added a single eye to a company but get work solely for being WWE/ECW alumni

I out and out like PWG's, Corino is great on colour for ROH, and AAW is mostly tolerable. That's it for me.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Excalibur and Chuck Taylor should just commentate every Indy show, and wwe too.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Brosef Joe Brody is the best indie commentator

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

The_Rob posted:

Excalibur and Chuck Taylor should just commentate every Indy show, and wwe too.

this post is un-be-lievable!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

this post is un-be-lievable!

*makes off the cuff remark about hating that everybody does cooler flips than I do*

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

El Gallinero Gros posted:

*makes off the cuff remark about hating that everybody does cooler flips than I do*

Adam Cole is a doughy gently caress

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

*shrieks at a crazy spot*

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
If Chuck would cut out the occasional casual racism PWG's commentary would be pretty much perfect. I know some prefer the commentary to be a little more serious but it fits the overall tenor of shows in Reseda imo. Chris Hero strikes a good balance of having great jokey banter with Excalibur while still putting over the serious moments of the match, which I assume is why he usually handles the main event matches (when he's not involved in them, of course). Chuck's there to goof around, openly laugh at guys who take insanely unsafe bumps for no good reason, and shriek like a girl at crazy spots. That's part of the reason I think PWG shows this year have been suffering from the lack of spotfest multiman matches outside of BOLA weekend, it gives Chuck less opportunity to shine on color.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Joey Styles posted:

AN OPEN LETTER FROM JOEY STYLES

Friday night, I panicked on camera during the live broadcast of Evolve 72 on FloSlam when I realized that heel manager, Stokely Hathaway and I would be doing our promo at ringside and not in the ring with ring announcer, Joanna Rose as I had anticipated.

I told Joanna before the show that during my promo with her and Stokely in the ring, I was going to ask her about English tailoring so we could compare my suit with Stokely Hathaway's suit.

I had no idea what to say when Stokely Hathaway and I were at ringside about to trade promos and I didn't have Joanna with us to ask about English tailoring.

I panicked and I did exactly what Gabe Sapolsky told me not to do earlier in the week and made a political joke. The joke included a partial quote from the President-Elect that was meant to mock him and then, in-turn, my scripted nemesis, Stokely Hathaway.

I started the joke and stopped quoting the President-Elect without using the offensive word.

Again, I did not utter the offensive word.

I then turned to Stokely Hathaway and said "the word that I will not use, brings me to you."

As the veteran, I should have walked through the promo segment with Stokely Hathaway and Joanna Rose before the event so that there was no possibility of me putting myself in that position.

Gabe was justifiably furious at me and thought that I had endangered his relationship with FloSports.

After the event, I looked Gabe in the eye, apologized to him, and as not as to put him in the awkward position of having to fire someone he has known for 20 years, told him to fire me publicly and then shook his hand.

I apologized to Joanna who said she said she wasn't upset because she knew it was a joke about the President-Elect. It didn't matter if she was upset or not, therefore I apologized to her again, repeatedly.

I apologized to Jeremy Botter, the representative from FloSlam who was at the event, and he wasn't upset. It didn't matter if he was upset or not, therefore I apologized to him again, repeatedly. I also told him that Gabe and EVOLVE had no knowledge of what I was going to say and my actions should not be held against EVOLVE.

I apologized to the locker room and the wrestlers weren't upset. It didn't matter if they were upset, therefore I apologized to the wrestlers again, repeatedly.

While apologizing to the wrestlers, I saw that Timothy Thatcher obviously had a very serious concussion.

Timothy Thatcher's main event opponent, Drew Gulak also recognized that it was a very serious concussion and said that Timothy needed to go to the hospital.

I went to the hospital with Timothy and Larry Dallas. Gabe arrived at the hospital shorty after we did. We were cordial to each other, because I had already apologized to him and he had already fired me publicly. All that we were rightly concerned about by that point was Timothy Thatcher's condition.

Larry and I stayed at the hospital with Timothy until he was released at 1:30 AM into Larry's care to recover at Larry's home in NY until he is well enough to fly home to California.

While at the hospital watching Timothy struggle to regain his memory of what happened and even remember my name, I made the decision to stay quiet about EVOLVE 72 until today so as not to take attention away from EVOLVE on FloSlam on Sunday night.

In summary, I panicked on a live broadcast, ad-libbed by telling bad joke, apologized to Gabe, told him to publicly fire me to protect himself and then apologized sincerely and repeatedly to everybody involved including Joanna Rose, Jeremy Botter from FloSlam and the wrestlers in the EVOLVE locker room.

In conclusion, I'd like to thank FloSlam for editing out the segment from the EVOLVE 72 replay on FloSlam so fans can enjoy the historic event forever without it being marred.

Joey Styles

What a piece of poo poo.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Well trying to pivot by repeatedly bringing up Thatcher's injury is one tactic that I'm sure isn't going to get even more people pissed off with him.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
nick loving gage

is

back

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

screaming right now

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Nick Gage needs to go to jail more often because everytime he gets out, its like loving christmas.

E: "I told GABE to fire me!" yeah I don't think he needed much prompting on that one, champ.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

https://m.facebook.com/mickieljames/posts/1640214492670850

"you CAN NOT fire an independent contractor" is my one big takeaway here

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

oatgan posted:

lovely opinions but I kinda love how she references her own murder.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

oatgan posted:

Someone needs to tell Vince before the lawyers of everyone he has fired find out!

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Vice's documentary about Tournament of Death is up

https://twitter.com/vicecanada/status/798571296715993089

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

oatgan posted:

my big takeaway is Mickie's been hit over the dang head too much. Paragraphs, ma'am, we use them in the adult world.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Grozz Nuy posted:

If Chuck would cut out the occasional casual racism PWG's commentary would be pretty much perfect. I know some prefer the commentary to be a little more serious but it fits the overall tenor of shows in Reseda imo. Chris Hero strikes a good balance of having great jokey banter with Excalibur while still putting over the serious moments of the match, which I assume is why he usually handles the main event matches (when he's not involved in them, of course). Chuck's there to goof around, openly laugh at guys who take insanely unsafe bumps for no good reason, and shriek like a girl at crazy spots. That's part of the reason I think PWG shows this year have been suffering from the lack of spotfest multiman matches outside of BOLA weekend, it gives Chuck less opportunity to shine on color.

Kinda curious to see how Hero and Taylor would do, doing commentary together.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

oatgan posted:

Vice's documentary about Tournament of Death is up

https://twitter.com/vicecanada/status/798571296715993089

I had no idea the dude from hosed Up was doing stuff for Vice now. And he looks like he's lost a lot of weight. That's great.

Durk Hendrunkqs
Dec 12, 2006

It's useless.
That was a fun documentary. Didn't know the drone was theirs.

Durk Hendrunkqs
Dec 12, 2006

It's useless.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrplMKnSxEE

Evil Uno smashes the poo poo out of SMASH's tv.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

TV Zombie posted:

Kinda curious to see how Hero and Taylor would do, doing commentary together.

I think they called a few matches for Chikara. Fun but, not really additive to the match tho.

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
that viceland doc doesn't address czw's historical connection to roman gladiators
re: all the warriors being fat so they bleed more

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I haven't seen CZW or deathmatch wrestling in awhile. :barf:

Does Ruckus still wrestle? I think that was the first time that I've seen him in ages.

Durk Hendrunkqs
Dec 12, 2006

It's useless.

mariooncrack posted:

I haven't seen CZW or deathmatch wrestling in awhile. :barf:

Does Ruckus still wrestle? I think that was the first time that I've seen him in ages.

Nah. Little to none these days.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Huge lmao at the massively sympathetic light DJ Hyde gets painted in. Watch that doc for real

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

NickRoweFillea posted:

Huge lmao at the massively sympathetic light DJ Hyde gets painted in. Watch that doc for real
Love the stock crowd noises too

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

NickRoweFillea posted:

Deej is a tragic hero

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/WWEDawnMarieECW/status/798784504961724417

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

lol