Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

I like the concept a lot, but after playing a few games in the new version I think it's best to revert. I don't think they've given up on overhauling forts, but the system was incredibly counterintuitive and confusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Does this mean I can sell provinces with a fort to the AI again to make them go bankrupt while at the same time giving me easy warscore in the next war against them?

No I would never exploit AI issues in EU4, why do you ask?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The new system works really well if your country is fuckhuge or has a lot of weirdly shaped fronts to defend. In my Qing game just now I love it, I had super messy borders while I ate a dozen Chinese minors over the course of a hundred years so I'm glad I didn't have to constantly be moving forts around to deal with that - just make sure every state is fortified and you're good. The problem is that EU4's depiction of the world isn't granular enough for the system to make sense on a smaller scale, and pretty much every scale in the game is smaller than a Chinese campaign.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Tahirovic posted:

Does this mean I can sell provinces with a fort to the AI again to make them go bankrupt while at the same time giving me easy warscore in the next war against them?

No I would never exploit AI issues in EU4, why do you ask?
That sounds a little bit convoluted to be practical in most cases. :v:

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
It depends on your AE management but it can be funny to do, it's also how I think I'll get my "pay 1000 gold debt" achievement.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Tahirovic posted:

It depends on your AE management but it can be funny to do, it's also how I think I'll get my "pay 1000 gold debt" achievement.

I just randomly looked at Russia in my Prussia game, figured I could do without 1/20 of my wealth for another achievement that run.

I did get Russia under a PU that game, holy crap. :eyepop:

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I got My True Friend but not Viva la Revolución! after winning a support rebels war. According to the wiki I should be able to get them both at the same time and I'm confused as to what the difference in triggers is.

Am I not supposed to declare war for the other one?

e: nevermind, got it. i just kept supporting rebels until eventually they won without my help.

Xinder fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Nov 16, 2016

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
I know it's not going to matter soon, but I really don't get forts.

I occupied the fort in Shaam before any of these Otto units got here, but they just walked over it. And now the fort I control in Cairo isn't stopping them from marching right past it (As-Suways to Ras Gharib) :argh:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

The Little Kielbasa posted:

I know it's not going to matter soon, but I really don't get forts.

I occupied the fort in Shaam before any of these Otto units got here, but they just walked over it. And now the fort I control in Cairo isn't stopping them from marching right past it (As-Suways to Ras Gharib) :argh:
As far as I know, forts in enemy territory that you occupy dont exert any zone of control.

Your fort in Cairo does not exert zone of control into Al-Suways because it is across national borders, even if the land across the national border is occupied by you. Thus the enemy can walk from their territory (that you are currently occupying) into any adjacent provinces (Cairo or Ras Gharib).

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I have definitely played games where my winning strategy was to capture enemy forts and then hide behind them whenever their much larger armies came down to unsiege them. Enemy forts won't give you ZoC in the sense they'll siege/unsiege provinces for you, but they definitely should prevent the enemy from moving past the fort.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Tsyni posted:

Not just your trade city, but your actual capital. Move it to the low countries to avoid revolts later. If you have Antwerpen and Holland, you'll rake in the dough. Transfer trade power from Lubeck to English channel.

hey what's all this about. does it matter which province and does it just completely negate the 35k+ rebels

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

oddium posted:

hey what's all this about. does it matter which province and does it just completely negate the 35k+ rebels

It has to be somewhere in the Low Countries region/area (I always forget which of these is which). The idea is so you don't get the Dutch revolt events if your state is based in the Netherlands, only if it's an imperial power ruling them from somewhere else. So no rebels except for any normal unrest based ones you happen to have.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I dunno, I tried that as Westphalia and still got rebels. Netherlands existed (owning some provinces around Hainaut), it's around 1620, I put my capital in Holland, and still get 30,000 rebels every year or so. So I've begun culturally enriching the Low Countries but it's a long process.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Looking over the event conditions, you might also need to culture shift to Dutch/Flemish.

Bretzman
Jun 3, 2013

I've got to say, I've been playing EU4 intermittently since it came out (I was a big EU3 fan back in the day) and it's really nice to see a world map that looks fairly historical (no Bohemian snake across Russia) and with nice borders. The series has came pretty far.

Bretzman fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Nov 16, 2016

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Qing?? :wtc: not only Qing, but one that's actually conquered a chunk of China??? holy poo poo

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Go go Alodia

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
bahmanis are doing a pretty nice mughal impression, even.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I'm the migrating Vietnam.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I'm in the late 1600s and wondering if I should hang onto my 20,000 cavalry. I noticed in the ledger that most nations don't even have 10,000. Should I halve my numbers and add more artillery and infantry? I'm currently 35,000I/20,000C/19,000A.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

snoremac posted:

I'm in the late 1600s and wondering if I should hang onto my 20,000 cavalry. I noticed in the ledger that most nations don't even have 10,000. Should I halve my numbers and add more artillery and infantry? I'm currently 35,000I/20,000C/19,000A.

I usually have a bit less cavalry, and a lot more artillery. Depends who you're playing a bit. If you have NIs that give you cavalry power then you could make an argument to have more. I usually have the same amount of artillery as infantry. 30,000/14,000/30,000 would be reasonable imo, or at least how I normally have things, with 50% of infantry being mercs.

I have traditionally had even less cavalry, but upping it a bit lately.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Bretzman posted:

I've got to say, I've been playing EU4 intermittently since it came out (I was a big EU3 fan back in the day) and it's really nice to see a world map that looks fairly historical (no Bohemian snake across Russia) and with nice borders. The series has came pretty far.

Timurids exist though :flaccid:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

snoremac posted:

Unless you have really good cavalry bonuses then get rid of them and use the maintenance they free up to add more cannon. For 17th century 8/2/4 is a reasonable ratio for armies, but in the late game artillery gets really strong so you pretty much want to be heading towards 8/2/8 ratio or something like it.

Bretzman
Jun 3, 2013

Koramei posted:

Qing?? :wtc: not only Qing, but one that's actually conquered a chunk of China??? holy poo poo

Yeah, I hadn't paid attention to anything east of Russia the entire game and then I decided to check out the entire world and I was floored to see an actual Qing. Thing of beauty.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
It's crazy, I actually thought it wasn't possible. I've seen an AI Qing once in 1000 hours of this game, and that was back before Wealth of Nations.

hotfix for the beta out today, reverted the forts but also:

development map scales with the development in the world at the time. :eyepop: the mapmode is actually really good now

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Sorry if this is an often asked question.

I have the base game but no DLC. How much is it playable vs how much should I wait until the DLC goes on sale before I start playing? New to EU4. From what I can tell the big ones are Common Sense and Art of War.

Other question: must have mods? I am a newbie to any EU, played a bit of CK2 a while ago.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Pretty much all of the expansions have something worth getting and I honestly can't recall what the base game looks like anymore. But I'm sure you'll be fine playing a bit without them.

As for mods, I don't use any. Every time I find one interesting the next patch breaks it and the creator never updates it so I just gave up. The game is great without mods anyway.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Chin Strap posted:

I have the base game but no DLC. How much is it playable vs how much should I wait until the DLC goes on sale before I start playing? New to EU4. From what I can tell the big ones are Common Sense and Art of War.

Other question: must have mods? I am a newbie to any EU, played a bit of CK2 a while ago.

The base game (no DLC or mods) is perfectly fine. I'd recommend messing around in it to get used to things if you feel like playing.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Great thanks! I'm following Arumba's tutorial series so I'll get his key bindings but that's all.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Chin Strap posted:

The base game is enough for you to play it a bunch to get a feel for the game enough to decide if buying DLC when it is on sale is worthwhile.

There are no required mods because the base game is robust enough that no gameplay mods are necessary. There are tons of mods that do visual things like changing the font/colors/line thickness on the map that are interesting and dont usually stop you from doing Ironman, if that is your thing.

Dont be afraid to ask us questions about gameplay once you start playing; the learning curve can be kinda steep. I personally recommend starting off as a larger power on the edge of Europe like the Ottomans or Muscovy who can push around their neighbors and do not have an immediate eminent threats, or an isolated power like Portugal who is smaller and can colonize while doing diplomacy and trade stuff while not necessary getting involved in large land wars in Europe.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

The base game is enough for you to play it a bunch to get a feel for the game enough to decide if buying DLC when it is on sale is worthwhile.

There are no required mods because the base game is robust enough that no gameplay mods are necessary. There are tons of mods that do visual things like changing the font/colors/line thickness on the map that are interesting and dont usually stop you from doing Ironman, if that is your thing.

Dont be afraid to ask us questions about gameplay once you start playing; the learning curve can be kinda steep. I personally recommend starting off as a larger power on the edge of Europe like the Ottomans or Muscovy who can push around their neighbors and do not have an immediate eminent threats, or an isolated power like Portugal who is smaller and can colonize while doing diplomacy and trade stuff while not necessary getting involved in large land wars in Europe.

I personally recommend pursuing the Raja of the Rajput Reich achievement: Conquer all of Germany as Nagaur. A trial by fire will forge you into the greatest EU4 player of all.

never actually do this

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Chin Strap posted:

The only must have mod is the Thicker Borders and Recoloured Water (TBARW) Extra, Transparent Political Mapmode. Does exactly what it says, and it makes the game way prettier. The base TBARW options are more hit and miss.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Mupta is a hella fun start, you're a vassal but it's easy to break free and then you're richer than god with gold provinces coming out of the rear end and your NIs are really good. It's fun turning all your gold provinces into huge metropoli to get your instituitons running.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

I'm halfway glad they reversed the fort changes and promised to fix the AI's pathfinding to not walk through ZOC. But I wished they kept the halved price for forts.

Have there been any word on a fix for native americans gaining institutions insanely fast, making the permanent causus belli on primitive useless?

and any word on the weird AI army movements? I'm a bit tired of seeing my allies moving back and forth between two provinces and/or stacking all their armies in one province while the enemy sieges all their provinces.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Atreiden posted:

Have there been any word on a fix for native americans gaining institutions insanely fast, making the permanent causus belli on primitive useless?
Yes. It is gone.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
As in the CB is gone.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Lol guess I'll keep seeing native americans until the end of each campaign then. But it does makes religious ideas even better.

Also just lost a war against ottomans, since my allie France chose to keep 75% of it's army stationed in brittany.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Atreiden posted:

Lol guess I'll keep seeing native americans until the end of each campaign then.

Historical, at least in NA...

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Xinder posted:

As in the CB is gone.

They replaced it with the ability to fabricate claims in colonial regions, which accomplishes pretty much the same thing regardless of how technologically advanced the natives are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Thinking about going for Quin. I've never even played a horde. Any hints?

• Locked thread