Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Tony Doughnuts posted:

So that definitely settles it. Going to pick up the makita kit with recipro. And the at a later date I'll grab the impact wrench. I use it a lot at work and it's pretty much an essential to me. I can finally get rid of my lime green ryobi tools. Not bad tools by any means but I need more powah and reliability.

Probably pick up a rat tail too when I can. Might just wait for my dewalt to die , we'll see.

From what I've heard of bench presses you might as well just go with the HF one and save a few bucks
At that size They basically all come out of the same factory and you're paying for the paint job.

I use the cordless circular saw more than anything, that'd be quite high up on my recommendation list. The 3 speed smaller impact wrench is great too, the portability and and built in torque(speed) limiter makes it so much more useful than the extra foot pounds of torque. Battery life is great on the recip saw, and the work light is great as well. Angle grinder is less useful because of low battery life, but it's great for quick portable cuts.

To all the haters of oscillating multi tools, they're actually pretty useful, and downright indispensable in the right situation. Such as cutting through plaster and lathe--a drywall saw is worthless on lathe and a recip saw with vibrate poo poo to pieces. Or cutting out rotten tongue and groove porch floor boards to replace one piece. Or cutting nails holding old boxes in, etc. Definitely a fantastic tool if you live in an old house. On top of that, my makita cordless multi tool is world's apart in functionality than my old corded craftsman one. In comparison, the craftsman is worthless junk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Doughnuts
Aug 12, 2016

There are, in fact, still motherfuckers who gotta ice skate up hill
Ive lost faith in cordless grinders. Every time i need a grinder and i grab the cordlese, it dies 1 cut before im done and then the battery has to cool down and charge. I'm just going to stick with corded.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Any recommendations for a corded worm drive circ saw? I have a panel saw rig I acquired, just needs an actual saw to mount on it. Bonus if the control can be rigged up in a relatively ergonomic way, i.e. I don't have to do contortions to turn it on while cutting.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Tony Doughnuts posted:

Ive lost faith in cordless grinders. Every time i need a grinder and i grab the cordlese, it dies 1 cut before im done and then the battery has to cool down and charge. I'm just going to stick with corded.

What brand and battery size/age do you have? Angle grinders are a worst case for battery drain and if you own portable tools and only 1 battery I've some advise...

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

Any recommendations for a corded worm drive circ saw? I have a panel saw rig I acquired, just needs an actual saw to mount on it. Bonus if the control can be rigged up in a relatively ergonomic way, i.e. I don't have to do contortions to turn it on while cutting.

I got a Mag77LT and it's pretty loving great, tons of power and it's fairly light. I mostly use it for framing work and ripping sheets.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Skil-15-...LT-22/204100988

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Tony Doughnuts posted:

If you're grinding, like legit grinding, then a corded is the only way to go. I use my cordless with a cutoff wheel for cutting uni strut, shelf brackets or wire shelves, slicing spot welds, or maybe some flat bar. Otherwise, it's a corded grinder and extension cord. They're not equivalent.

coathat
May 21, 2007

I want to play around with one of the new cordless metabo 9 inch grinders.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Tony Doughnuts posted:

This is me with circular saws. They always seem to hold a little less charge than I need for a single project/days work.
If I ever buy another circular saw it's gonna be corded for sure.

I have my Grandfathers old corded one from the 70s as backup, but god drat that thing sounds like a jet engine.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

keep it down up there! posted:

This is me with circular saws. They always seem to hold a little less charge than I need for a single project/days work.

I have my Grandfathers old corded one from the 70s as backup, but god drat that thing sounds like a jet engine.

Huh, I've had exactly the opposite experience with my cordless circular saw. It's been nothing but great, and my batteries are just as good as the day I bought them almost two years ago now.

I completely agree that a cordless grinder is pretty meh except for quick cuts, but on the cordless circular saw, my 3 amp hour 18v lithium batteries work great for cutting stuff like sheet goods. Hell, last year I reframed a small part of my house with nothing but a chop saw and cordless circular saw, and I don't see myself ever needing more than that for a project. I can't even think of the last time I used my corded circular saw to be honest.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

My only complaint about corded circ saws is the dang plug end where it meets the ext.cord is always JUUUUUUST long enough to get caught on the edge of the sheet of plywood you're cutting about 6" from the end of the rip.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

TheDon01 posted:

My only complaint about corded circ saws is the dang plug end where it meets the ext.cord is always JUUUUUUST long enough to get caught on the edge of the sheet of plywood you're cutting about 6" from the end of the rip.

I tore my circular saw apart and made the cord 15 ft long more or less exactly because of that. It's super easy to do if you have even the slightest clue what you're doing, and cost me like $15 in wire and plug end bits. Plus I can avoid using an extension cord entirely on stuff that I'm cutting outside on the tailgate of my truck.

Tony Doughnuts
Aug 12, 2016

sidewalk gum posted:

What brand and battery size/age do you have? Angle grinders are a worst case for battery drain and if you own portable tools and only 1 battery I've some advise...

3 batteries for an 18v dewalt, xrp batteries. When I need a grinder it's almost never just for one little cut or touch up

Picked up the makita set with the recipro today. Went with the full size recipro. The compact seems newt but holy hell is it awkward on the hands and the trigger lock is a self locking so yoy have to press it every time you want to pull the trigger

Tony Doughnuts fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Nov 11, 2016

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Bad Munki posted:

I bought a demo Makita hypoid (which I think is just angle gears instead of a true chain drive with oil and all that mess) when it first came out like 25 years ago. I built a monstrous deck with that thing that was bigger than a lot of peoples' houses. It's a lot lighter, and has their built in reverse winding brake. I could not fathom why Milwaukee and those folks didn't put that in. Circular saw is a lot of horsepower in a small tool, dangerous. Saw still saws.

keep it down up there! posted:

Nice thing about a cordless circular saw is you can straightline cut plywood accurately without having to fight that sumbitch. Sometimes less is more.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Mr. Mambold posted:

Nice thing about a cordless circular saw is you can straightline cut plywood accurately without having to fight that sumbitch. Sometimes less is more.
This has not been my experience at all but thats what makes me a poo poo woodworker i guess.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

You are correct, when dealing with lithium ion cells the difference between 20V and 18V is basically the difference between fully charged and 'nominal' voltage. They're all "5SxP" packs, meaning some combination of at least five cells in series, and one or more sets in parallel. Compact packs are 5S1P, most standard packs are probably 5S2P, some of the monsters AvE has been taking apart look like they're 5S3P. Nominal is 3.7V per cell, so 5x3.7 = 18.5. Fully charged is around 4.1-4.2, so you end up with 20V.

Rnr posted:

So, to be blunt, yes, it's complete marketing wank and pretty distasteful.

It's not just marketing wank, it was also a way to clearly differentiate between their 18V NiCad tools and the newer 18V LiIon tools. Now there's an adapter but at the time they were released it was a lot less confusing to have 18V and "20V Max" alongside each other than 2 different sets both labelled 18V. I always get a kick out of people bashing Dewalt's marketing decision as puffery or "marketing wank" when it was actually an excellent decision from a marketing standpoint. The alternative was creating their new Lithium batteries in the dated, less compact post-style form factor and potentially having customers buy "18V" tools and batteries alongside each other that aren't compatible.

Tony Doughnuts posted:

From what I've heard and seen the oscillating multitools are pretty junk across all brands. I don't personally have any interest in getting one.

Lol. Oscillating tools are loving awesome. I got one for free last Christmas with the usual Dewalt free tool deal and have put a lot of hours on it. I flip houses for a living and basically find a use for it every day, mostly I'd say for drywall work without the effort of a jab saw, but it's got a trillion other uses. I bought Dewalt's version of the Rotozip around the same time but that's been sitting basically unused. The oscillating tool works great for grout removal, cleaning up cuts from a circular saw in lumber or laminate flooring, cutting into drywall, door jambs, just everything. Dewalt makes a fantastic OMT and I've heard the Ridgid one is okay too. Fein obviously makes the best, and their blades are awesome.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Is there a cheap substitute for a swaging tool? I want to put ferrules on some 1/16 inch wire and I don't anticipate having to do so again in the foreseeable future. The closest things I have available are bolt cutters and a vice.

EDIT: Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

eatenmyeyes fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Nov 13, 2016

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

eatenmyeyes posted:

Is there a cheap substitute for a swaging tool? I want to put ferrules on some 1/16 inch wire and I don't anticipate having to do so again in the foreseeable future. The closest things I have available are bolt cutters and a vice.

That seems to be about the same diameter as bike cables. At least on a bike application you could get away with a pair of pliers or the vice.

Tony Doughnuts
Aug 12, 2016

Robawesome posted:

Lol. Oscillating tools are loving awesome. I got one for free last Christmas with the usual Dewalt free tool deal and have put a lot of hours on it. I flip houses for a living and basically find a use for it every day, mostly I'd say for drywall work without the effort of a jab saw, but it's got a trillion other uses. I bought Dewalt's version of the Rotozip around the same time but that's been sitting basically unused. The oscillating tool works great for grout removal, cleaning up cuts from a circular saw in lumber or laminate flooring, cutting into drywall, door jambs, just everything. Dewalt makes a fantastic OMT and I've heard the Ridgid one is okay too. Fein obviously makes the best, and their blades are awesome.

I guess I should rephrase. There's nothing I would use one for that i don't already have a tool for or just don't do. I'm not w contractor so I don't really ever deal with drywall and the rare occasion I do I have a drywall saw that works just fine. 2x4s and the like im either hacking into small pieces to toss out or using a circle/miter saw. My most used tools are (in order) drill, impact , grinder, and recipro. Anything else I can afford to either use a handtool or whatever old one I have lying around or can borrow/rent

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person

Tony Doughnuts posted:

Picked up the makita set with the recipro today. Went with the full size recipro. The compact seems newt but holy hell is it awkward on the hands and the trigger lock is a self locking so yoy have to press it every time you want to pull the trigger

Incidently I've found out that the blades I use the most on the makita recip saw are dewilt ones: http://www.tools-n-hardware.com/dewalt-reciprocating-blade-wood-with-nails-p-400.html?osCsid=19c5om704dj4bln5o0unq6n2l0
They last surprisingly well and are very versatile.

Tony Doughnuts
Aug 12, 2016

Those dewilt wood w/ nails blades are also actually really good at cutting through angle iron. :grin:

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

Any suggestions for a cheap but decent chop saw? It'll be mostly used for case and base moulding work, maybe building some shelves and work benches- nothing super technical. When I look at that $130 Ryobi at HD it seems decent, but I also don't want to find that it makes super sloppy cuts once I get it out of the box.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

stupid puma posted:

Any suggestions for a cheap but decent chop saw? It'll be mostly used for case and base moulding work, maybe building some shelves and work benches- nothing super technical. When I look at that $130 Ryobi at HD it seems decent, but I also don't want to find that it makes super sloppy cuts once I get it out of the box.

Lowes will often put the Hitachi 10" on sale for around $99. It's a great little saw for the money if you don't need to cut anything too big.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Falco posted:

Lowes will often put the Hitachi 10" on sale for around $99. It's a great little saw for the money if you don't need to cut anything too big.

I bought the Hitachi, it works pretty well. My only wish is that it had a laser for alignment... but that's just because lasers are cool.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

stupid puma posted:

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
I feel like I should post this here. You'll have to order online to use your code(s), but $15 of $50 is a really good discount and it beats buying coupon codes off eBay.

http://lowes-code.duckdns.org/

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Is there a flyer up anywhere for the Home Depot sales that start tomorrow?

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

wormil posted:

Is there a flyer up anywhere for the Home Depot sales that start tomorrow?

http://toolguyd.com/home-depot-black-friday-2016-tool-sale-heads-up/

Not a flyer but has details on some of the deals

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

They had a bunch of stuff out already, none priced, and a guy told me I was free to buy anything. He scanned a Makita cordless combo kit for me, the price was $379. I was coveting it hard but they also had Ridgid and Dewalt miter saws, don't know the price. Might go by in the morning and check prices again.

Tony Doughnuts
Aug 12, 2016

wormil posted:

They had a bunch of stuff out already, none priced, and a guy told me I was free to buy anything. He scanned a Makita cordless combo kit for me, the price was $379. I was coveting it hard but they also had Ridgid and Dewalt miter saws, don't know the price. Might go by in the morning and check prices again.

I literally just picked up the makita drill and driver brushless combo for 299 with a free reciprocating saw at Home Depot 2 days ago

Tony Doughnuts fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Nov 14, 2016

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I was looking at the 5 tool kit. Thing is my Porter Cable kit is still fine but the batteries are $90 and they don't make them anymore. I'm down to one lion battery and $90 would be a good investment in a better kit. But I could use a miter saw more and I have about $350 to spend right now. The Hitachi 12" is $250 all the time so I can't see spending $300 on the Ridgid, is there a reason it's worth $50 more?

Dr. Habibi
Sep 24, 2009

I don't know if this is the right thread, but it's one I've lurked for a long time and I think I've seen discussion of snowblowers here.

I don't know jack about them, other than the sizes/amperage ratings seem vaguely confusing for electric ones. This might be a "let me google that" issue, but are there any recommended brands/types for just light residential use (a driveway, mainly)? Thanks for letting me be stupid.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Dr. Habibi posted:

I don't know if this is the right thread, but it's one I've lurked for a long time and I think I've seen discussion of snowblowers here.

I don't know jack about them, other than the sizes/amperage ratings seem vaguely confusing for electric ones. This might be a "let me google that" issue, but are there any recommended brands/types for just light residential use (a driveway, mainly)? Thanks for letting me be stupid.

I've never used one so I can't comment, but I do know that there's a small engine thread over in AI. You might want to try there.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

wormil posted:

I was looking at the 5 tool kit. Thing is my Porter Cable kit is still fine but the batteries are $90 and they don't make them anymore. I'm down to one lion battery and $90 would be a good investment in a better kit. But I could use a miter saw more and I have about $350 to spend right now. The Hitachi 12" is $250 all the time so I can't see spending $300 on the Ridgid, is there a reason it's worth $50 more?

There's dudes around here who repack spent batteries; you might check around your area. They list on CL sometimes here. That $90 per is why I dumped my DeWalt set years ago. and those were the old style.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Dr. Habibi posted:

Never messed with an electric one but my advice is just to be sure you get a 2-stage, don't screw around with the single-stage blowers, they're weaksauce by design. I have a 28" troybilt I bought during blizzardgeddon in PA a few years back and it has been absolutely fine, no complaints. I can get the model for you if you're interested. I used it for cutting both fresh and frozen-in snow on my ~40x30 paved driveway, and the plow berm at the street that I would often neglect for a couple days until it had been compacted and frozen up solid. Would also occasionally clear my old-as-dirt neighbor's 80x15 driveway under similar conditions, no sweat.

Is there a budget here, or...?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I went back to HD today and was looking at the Makita kit again. It was $379 last night, $299 today. Woman came up and offered me extra $50 off if I fill out a credit app, $249, "Tempting but I don't neeed it," I said and started walking away. Some guy says, I'll give you an extra $100 off. I stopped cold in my tracks. When it was said and done, I got an extra $125 off.

Subtotal : $191.34

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The best time to shop at HD is when both the Bosch and Makita reps are there. The Makita reps are super rare, while the Bosch reps are usually there nearly all open hours.

They'll get into wars with each other over customers.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Dr. Habibi posted:

Where are you located? Are you looking at lots of smaller snowfalls or gearing for a blizzard?

I've used both the single-stage "hungry hippos" style blower and nice two-stage auger design, each gas powered. Both can do work but the former have drawbacks with wet or previously thrown snow that the latter better overcomes. Two-stage is significantly more complicated and will require actual maintenance and a bit of fix-it know how if you use it much (stock spare shear-pins).

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person

Robawesome posted:

It's not just marketing wank, it was also a way to clearly differentiate between their 18V NiCad tools and the newer 18V LiIon tools. Now there's an adapter but at the time they were released it was a lot less confusing to have 18V and "20V Max" alongside each other than 2 different sets both labelled 18V. I always get a kick out of people bashing Dewalt's marketing decision as puffery or "marketing wank" when it was actually an excellent decision from a marketing standpoint. The alternative was creating their new Lithium batteries in the dated, less compact post-style form factor and potentially having customers buy "18V" tools and batteries alongside each other that aren't compatible.

I guess if you like being abused that's a-ok. Conceivably they could have named it something not misleading in order to differentiate it from their NiCad line?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I live in Minnesota. Unless you've got like a 50 yard driveway or are 60 years old, buy a good shovel and get t'work, you wuss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!

Dr. Habibi posted:

I have a similar need, and have already invested in extension cords to reach my entire property. A snow Joe plug in single stage is plenty for me.
I don have to move any snow more than 20 feet, and I can clear the plow wall with a shovel.