Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Shadowhand00 posted:

My friend's trip report going to the LA Democratic Party meeting this week:

Holy gently caress why are they still forcing bad memes on us :negative:

Purge the centrists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Shadowhand00 posted:

The 2M number for LA democrats makes sense given that LA county has as many people in it as multiple states. I doubt that number would hold for most places.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

redneck nazgul posted:

The problem isn't triangulation, it's having an actual loving candidate. Quoting myself from somewhere else:

Bill absolutely triangulated, but he has charisma and ran on a message. "It's the economy, stupid" worked really well against a guy who had to walk back on the "No new taxes" pledge even if Perot played spoiler. Hillary ran as simply not being Trump and hoping the massive unfavorability of Trump would buoy her. It might have, if she had given anyone a reason to vote for her besides "I'm not Donald Trump".

Triangulation is the problem, because have some loving convictions and don't be a robot. (that's a general advice not just her)

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Venom Snake posted:

Trying to find a message that appeals to everyone is quite literally triangulation

Famous third-way proponent and pragmatic Democratic Party operative Bernie Sanders was famous for his triangulation tactics

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Venom Snake posted:

Trying to find a message that appeals to everyone is quite literally triangulation

Actually isn't triangulation about putting together a message that picks off just enough from different groups to get 50%+1 of the vote? So your overall message ends up being the sum of 100 different messages that each are directed towards .5% of the vote.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Zythrst posted:

Triangulation is the problem, because have some loving convictions and don't be a robot. (that's a general advice not just her)

I think the first time I actually went "... this isn't good" before the actual election day was the big rally in Philly on Monday. She had Bill, then Michelle, then Barack go. Michelle and Barack were getting a lot of enthusiasm from the crowd.

She was not.

Though, honestly, you can argue if that was a testament to how good the Obamas are at getting a crowd going.

Oh well, didn't matter in the end :smith:

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Venom Snake posted:

https://twitter.com/nowthisnews/status/793656884083339264?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

yeah explain this using what you just said.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Liz Warren saying what we all know to be the case to the rich donors of the Democratic party:

http://www.bostonglobe.com/news/pol...66DI/story.html

quote:

Fewer than 3 percent of Americans get their insurance through Affordable Care Act, she noted. The health law ultimately did not contain a “public option,’’ such as a Medicare-style federal plan that would have competed directly with private insurance companies on the health insurance marketplaces in each state.

Many liberals in Congress believed such an option would have vastly improved the health law, but centrist Democrats in the Senate ultimately scuttled it.

quote:

Democrats should have said: here are three big things that will impact the lives of working Americans that we will accomplish with the stimulus, she said, according to the attendees.

“It was a call for Democrats to fight with boldness and backbone so that voters don’t get conned into voting for someone like Trump again,” an attendee said.

Hopefully this message gets through to the donor class.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
So I know you all hate John Oliver, but he had a point about how people digest media and that bullshit internet stories stirred the pot for this election.

The question is, how do we fight that type of thing? How do we, hopefully as people who want to see the truth instead of bullshit, get real news out to people in a way that's as easy to digest as conspiracy theories on Facebook are? I always thought wikileaks might be a way to do this but gently caress them and everything they stand for at this point. It's going to be an important part of 2018 and 2020 - if Democrats/sane people can't find a way to get the message out it's going to be difficult to convince people.

I know going out and talking to people is the best way, but not everyone can attend rallies or meet people. Social media is unfortunately here to stay and the truth is always harder to swallow than echo chamber bullshit. So how do Democrats boost the signal on things that people might not want to hear as much as empty platitudes?

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

redneck nazgul posted:

The problem isn't triangulation, it's having an actual loving candidate. Quoting myself from somewhere else:

Bill absolutely triangulated, but he has charisma and ran on a message. "It's the economy, stupid" worked really well against a guy who had to walk back on the "No new taxes" pledge even if Perot played spoiler. Hillary ran as simply not being Trump and hoping the massive unfavorability of Trump would buoy her. It might have, if she had given anyone a reason to vote for her besides "I'm not Donald Trump".

What about Reagan/Mondale and Nixon/McGovern? What about those?

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

it's hard to run against an incumbent. ah wait poo poo

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

LegionAreI posted:

So I know you all hate John Oliver, but he had a point about how people digest media and that bullshit internet stories stirred the pot for this election.

The question is, how do we fight that type of thing? How do we, hopefully as people who want to see the truth instead of bullshit, get real news out to people in a way that's as easy to digest as conspiracy theories on Facebook are? I always thought wikileaks might be a way to do this but gently caress them and everything they stand for at this point. It's going to be an important part of 2018 and 2020 - if Democrats/sane people can't find a way to get the message out it's going to be difficult to convince people.

I know going out and talking to people is the best way, but not everyone can attend rallies or meet people. Social media is unfortunately here to stay and the truth is always harder to swallow than echo chamber bullshit. So how do Democrats boost the signal on things that people might not want to hear as much as empty platitudes?

Google is now banning those. Let's hope facebook does the same.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

AngryBooch posted:

Liz Warren saying what we all know to be the case to the rich donors of the Democratic party:

http://www.bostonglobe.com/news/pol...66DI/story.html

Hopefully this message gets through to the donor class.

Not just the donor class, but also the bootlickers of the donors. IIRC we had more than a few scuffles in the past regarding why exactly we could not have fought for fewer compromises and a weakening of our intents.

We were told by certain goon establishment backers that it would be political suicide to not cave in to republican demands. Also the ACÁ is amazing and how dare you try to smear obamas legcacy.

Thanks guys, let's try to never ever do this again, m'kay?

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

I mentioned Nixon/McGovern. Reagan/Mondale and Nixon/Humphrey were so forgettable in my mind that I didn't even mention it.

Nixon won against Humphrey as the law and order candidate while pointing to Vietnam as a debacle. He won against McGovern by a combination of the DNC being fractured and painting McGovern as too extreme for middle America.

If Reagan's margin of victory against Mondale isn't proof enough that sounding folksy and taking advantage of good feelings works, I don't know what to say.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Mutant Standard posted:

Highly doubt it, since fb now is just an advertising platform. It's actually quite strange being a leftist veteran win many conservative friends, the advertising algorithms don't know which message to stick to lol

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Mutant Standard posted:

Sv types like google, fb controlling information is honestly looking better every day

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I called the office of the Tennessee Democratic Party yesterday and expressed my support for Ellison. Lady at the other end seemed a little surprised by my call, so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'd call my representative, but as John Duncan is an establishment Republican, it won't do much good. So I'll be calling the offices of Steve Cohen and Jim Cooper, whatever good that may do.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

OhFunny posted:

I just got home.

I drove an hour to attend my County Democrat Meeting and got to speak during open forum.

I said I was there because I was angry. Angry that Donald Trump is President and Hillary Clinton. That I was also angry that labor had been ignored this election. That we lost Wisconsin and Michigan, the most union states, because we didn't speak to labor issues. Donald Trump spoke to workers about how he was going to bring jobs back from China. He's lying of course, but lies are better than silence. I said Democrats need to make labor the #1 priory going forward from the local to the national level and the strongest voice for that would be to support Keith Ellison as the next DNC chairman.

Everyone applauded and a woman came up to me later to thank me for speaking and that they needed more rabble rousers. :3:

I'm feeling pretty good right now.

Fuckin A dude.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

My students give me hope. They're all "gently caress Trump" and are super angry but not despondent. There's a few vacancies on our city's school board and I'm going to apply.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

OhFunny posted:

I just got home.

I drove an hour to attend my County Democrat Meeting and got to speak during open forum.

I said I was there because I was angry. Angry that Donald Trump is President and Hillary Clinton. That I was also angry that labor had been ignored this election. That we lost Wisconsin and Michigan, the most union states, because we didn't speak to labor issues. Donald Trump spoke to workers about how he was going to bring jobs back from China. He's lying of course, but lies are better than silence. I said Democrats need to make labor the #1 priory going forward from the local to the national level and the strongest voice for that would be to support Keith Ellison as the next DNC chairman.

Everyone applauded and a woman came up to me later to thank me for speaking and that they needed more rabble rousers. :3:

💓

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

It appears that the elephant is highly sensitive to the effects of LSD - a finding which may prove to be valuable in elephant-control work in Africa.

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

I called the office of the Tennessee Democratic Party yesterday and expressed my support for Ellison. Lady at the other end seemed a little surprised by my call, so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'd call my representative, but as John Duncan is an establishment Republican, it won't do much good. So I'll be calling the offices of Steve Cohen and Jim Cooper, whatever good that may do.

Iowa DNC told me they would pass my message along, then after I told them what I wanted they said that I actually needed the national office, that the state party has no say in who chairs the party nationally. A waste of my time and theirs, but the # you want is 202-863-8000

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

Venom Snake posted:

Not really. Triangulation is looking at the two "Major" arguments and planting yourself in the middle in the hope of keeping your side and taking some of your opponent's. We're hoping to reset the game pieces altogether.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I'm proud of Venom Snake.

jeb...

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

OhFunny posted:

I just got home.

I rate this trip report five stars.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Jeb!

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Shadowhand00 posted:

why do these idiots think millennials are dumbasses that only respond to memes?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
please put me on the memes committee. i have ideas.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Darkman Fanpage posted:

why do these idiots think millennials are dumbasses that only respond to memes?

I don't know, ask the Harambe voters.

:downsrim:

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

tadashi posted:

I don't know, ask the Harambe voters.

:downsrim:

Dicks out :patriot:

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Thoguh posted:

Actually isn't triangulation about putting together a message that picks off just enough from different groups to get 50%+1 of the vote? So your overall message ends up being the sum of 100 different messages that each are directed towards .5% of the vote.

"We need a message that appeals to everyone. Not just our own current base" has been one of the main topics of this thread. There isn't really anything wrong with building a message that appeals to everyone. In the context of the failures of the Clinton campaign it's that there was no message instead of one that was "Triangulated".

NumberLast posted:

Not really. Triangulation is looking at the two "Major" arguments and planting yourself in the middle in the hope of keeping your side and taking some of your opponent's. We're hoping to reset the game pieces altogether.

Fair enough.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

OhFunny posted:

I just got home.

wana grind this post up and snort it.

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014
I just want all y'all to know my ultimate hope with the Dem party is get some progressive organs in place while trying desperately to pass comprehensive electoral reform. :v:

It's a multi decade project, given how much of the American identity is wrapped up in how we vote, imv.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

I called Malloy's office but not sure who he is going to support. Also my DTC is hilariously absent from facebook since the election.

Although maybe I should finally bite the bullet and join the party, now during these dark times.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

NumberLast posted:

I just want all y'all to know my ultimate hope with the Dem party is get some progressive organs in place while trying desperately to pass comprehensive electoral reform. :v:

It's a multi decade project, given how much of the American identity is wrapped up in how we vote, imv.

I'm really excited to refight all the same battles as the 60s and the 70s.

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

tadashi posted:

I'm really excited to refight all the same battles as the 60s and the 70s.

Metric system!! Drinking age of 18!!

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I'm proud of Venom Snake.

I'm glad you could be with me Repetition. Here at the end of all things.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

Venom Snake posted:

I'm glad you could be with me Repetition. Here at the end of all things.

both of u suck

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Phyresis posted:

both of u suck

everyone sucks, friend, dobald tram is president. Hail Satan.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
Venom Snake is a punk-rear end snot-nosed little kid, should be beat up by jocks imo smdh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Phyresis posted:

Venom Snake is a punk-rear end snot-nosed little kid, should be beat up by jocks imo smdh

Molten take

• Locked thread