Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Zoran posted:

Why do so many people want the Democrats to lose even harder

A martha/snoop ticket would get 600 electoral votes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Caithness posted:

Since holding prior office is apparently no longer a requirement, does anyone think Oprah or Martha Stewart could be convinced to run?

lmao if u think oprah wouldnt run the table

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

No on Martha, and a solid "maybe" on Oprah

Like, after the Trump thing worked out the way it did I can't really argue convincingly against Oprah, so gently caress it, yeah, go for it

The only thing I can think of is that I don't wanna be the kind of country that elects multiple no-experience TV people in a row but I also didn't want to be the kind of country that did that even once and the boat's kinda sailed on that one so

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

These are the same thing though? Obama won all those rustbelt states. Just Jill Stein's votes alone were enough to spoil all of them except Ohio. Field a candidate that doesn't lose so many votes to 3rd parties, and even if the people that voted for Trump stick with him in four years, you'll still win all those states back, at the very least. Field a candidate that motivates better youth turnout and once again states like NC and AZ are on the map.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Mental-Rectangle posted:

These are the same thing though? Obama won all those rustbelt states. Just Jill Stein's votes alone were enough to spoil all of them except Ohio. Field a candidate that doesn't lose so many votes to 3rd parties, and even if the people that voted for Trump stick with him in four years, you'll still win all those states back, at the very least. Field a candidate that motivates better youth turnout and once again states like NC and AZ are on the map.

Field a candidate that motivates ANY demographic and the Dems are back in 2020.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
Have Beyonce be the spokesperson for a New New Deal. Enjoy your House majority.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Fiction posted:

Have Beyonce be the spokesperson for a New New Deal. Enjoy your House majority.

This will only work if Taylor Swift is also on board.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
In real talk, as much as I may like the idea of certain people named in this thread, I think it's a bad idea to put all your eggs into one basket 8 years in advance. Don't know what would give me that idea.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Andorra posted:

In real talk, as much as I may like the idea of certain people named in this thread, I think it's a bad idea to put all your eggs into one basket 8 years in advance. Don't know what would give me that idea.

Well, if we play this right, we'll be putting all our eggs into one basket four years in advance :smug:

I mean I still take your point. This has mostly been an exercise intended to keep us from losing our minds with despair in the wake of the election.

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

Gabby :swoon: would be ideal but I'm sure she'll be swiftboated into oblivion over the Hindu thing and the DNC will nominate another shitlord like MOM.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Space Pussy posted:

Gabby :swoon: would be ideal but I'm sure she'll be swiftboated into oblivion over the Hindu thing and the DNC will nominate another shitlord like MOM.

With Keith as chair this might actually be possible.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Vox Nihili posted:

With Keith as chair this might actually be possible.

Because he's Muslim?

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

loquacius posted:

e: Michelle Obama is a very popular figure but has never held elected office. Based on a sample size of one (1) general election, she'd win in a landslide.

But _vegetables_ and _water_

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Andorra posted:

I think it's less about the eggs and more about what the basket is made of.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Ace of Baes posted:

I think it's less about the eggs and more about what the basket is made of.

the only baskets i know of are made of deplorables

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

Mental-Rectangle posted:

The gap between Trump and Clinton could only be covered by Stein voters in Michigan, and even if that wasn't true only 25% of Stein's voters said they would vote for Clinton if they had no other choices.

Democrats have being trying to shame left voters into being obedient serfs for decades now and it doesn't seem to be working. There are no spoilers, there are only candidates. If you want those votes you have to earn them.

edit: You could also try electoral reform, like score voting. But Clinton probably would have lost that too.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Fulchrum posted:

Because he's Muslim?

I mean the candidacy, not the attacks.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

Mental-Rectangle posted:

These are the same goddamn thing exactly! DC is full of morons. Get back to 65 million votes and Democrats are always going to threaten.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Freemason Rush Week posted:

If you want votes you have to earn them.

9 simple words for winning elections.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

Gringostar posted:

9 simple words for winning elections.

Abuela Sister Hillary doesn't work huh? Dang

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

menino posted:

Abuela Sister Hillary doesn't work huh? Dang

Look man, it's either 9 words or 14 words you need to win elections.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Gringostar posted:

Look man, it's either 9 words or 14 words you need to win elections.

Actually it's 4 words.

Make America Great Again

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Space Pussy posted:

She's been pretty pro-defense in the House. I don't think she's the progressive firebrand a lot of people wish her to be.

https://ballotpedia.org/Tulsi_Gabbard

tadashi has issued a correction as of 13:45 on Nov 15, 2016

feller
Jul 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/tulsigabbard/status/649615636088365058

https://twitter.com/tulsigabbard/status/649458891168714752

https://twitter.com/tulsigabbard/status/773357876735717376

Is this who you're all talking about?

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
Whoever gets the nomination in 2020 is going to lose, so any of the truly promising candidates should wait until 2024.

Mental-Rectangle posted:

Obviously a party would love to field a candidate that motivates youth turnout, and wins over those who went 3rd party - but it's not an easy task to find such a person. Remember, you still need a candidate who puts your older voters at ease, and who can raise money - something Democrats are at a major disadvantage in.

Becoming a party nominee, and succeeding in the general election is going to need a candidate to lay some groundwork ahead of time, and no Democrats have really done that. Without the 2004 DNC speech, there would be no Obama. Trump spent years playing to the Fox News crowd and flirting with a run.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

tadashi posted:

She's been pretty pro-defense in the House. I don't think she's the progressive firebrand a lot of people wish her to be.

https://ballotpedia.org/Tulsi_Gabbard

Considering the damage Trump is going to do to foreign relations she can just easily pivot to 'fixing donalds mess' and maybe run on a platform of 'make america respected again'.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Lawman 0 posted:

Considering the damage Trump is going to do to foreign relations she can just easily pivot to 'fixing donalds mess' and maybe run on a platform of 'make america respected again'.

Trump's mess is not going to undeniably clear to enough people until midway through a second term. You are not going to be able to run on fixing Donald's mess until 2024.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

She supports cutting the military and pulling out of Afghanistan, was one of a couple dozen to sign Barbara Lee's letter warning against unwise war in Syria, opposes the surveillance state, rails against regime change wars, and favors cutting the defense budget, but she is in favor of bombing ISIS and al-Qaeda.

I disagree with her on this last point because I feel that bombing campaigns are fundamentally incompatible with the goal of stopping terrorism: you're inevitably going to kill a lot of civilians and destroy many people's homes and livelihoods, and that just breeds more resentment.

Zoran has issued a correction as of 15:38 on Nov 15, 2016

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
I actually am not that worried about Cory Booker. He's like Chris Christie; he represents a philosophy and an ideology that is probably going to be old news by the time he runs in 2020.

At least I hope we don't run a too-polished technocrat.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
A decent question to ask might be: who are we going to be running against in 2020? There's a lot of reasons Trump might not be in the Oval Office by 2020, most of which are more likely for him than for most candidates in recent memory. They're obviously not all as likely as him sticking around and running in 2020, but they are possible:

(In order of possibility)

He could not run in 2020. He's a political rookie that is probably not going to enjoy the responsibilities and is definitely unprepared, so he might get burned out. We've seen younger, smarter, healthier, and more prepared presidents get worn down by the job, so I can only imagine the hell it's going to put that dumbass through.

He could resign. There's already reports that he's said he never expected to be in the race after 2015, so maybe, just maybe, he'll get bored and/or overwhelmed and simply quit, even before 2020.

He could die in office. Dude's 70, and in bad shape (despite his "doctor's" assurances).

He could be impeached. Extremely unlikely, given how stupid congress is ("He may be putting political enemies and reporters in prison with no trials, but damnit he's our guy!") but you never know. I wouldn't count on this in any real sense, but it's technically a possibility.

In any of these cases, you'd most likely have Mike Pence to run against. I think that changes the equation quite a bit, so it's a matter of figuring out how likely or realistic it is to count on Trump as a one-term president.

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

Railing Kill posted:

A decent question to ask might be: who are we going to be running against in 2020? There's a lot of reasons Trump might not be in the Oval Office by 2020, most of which are more likely for him than for most candidates in recent memory. They're obviously not all as likely as him sticking around and running in 2020, but they are possible:

He could not run in 2020. He's a political rookie that is probably not going to enjoy the responsibilities and is definitely unprepared, so he might get burned out. We've seen younger, smarter, healthier, and more prepared presidents get worn down by the job, so I can only imagine the hell it's going to put that dumbass through.

He could resign. There's already reports that he's said he never expected to be in the race after 2015, so maybe, just maybe, he'll get bored and/or overwhelmed and simply quit, even before 2020.

He could die in office. Dude's 70, and in bad shape (despite his "doctor's" assurances).

He could be impeached. Extremely unlikely, given how stupid congress is ("He may be putting political enemies and reporters in prison with no trials, but damnit he's our guy!") but you never know. I wouldn't count on this in any real sense, but it's technically a possibility.

In any of these cases, you'd most likely have Mike Pence to run against. I think that changes the equation quite a bit, so it's a matter of figuring out how likely or realistic it is to count on Trump as a one-term president.

If Trump is out by 2020, what's the possibility Pence faces a primary challenge? What's the likelihood he wins?

NumberLast has issued a correction as of 18:29 on Nov 15, 2016

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Democrazy posted:

I actually am not that worried about Cory Booker. He's like Chris Christie; he represents a philosophy and an ideology that is probably going to be old news by the time he runs in 2020.

At least I hope we don't run a too-polished technocrat.

I am curious to see if he shifts after this year. After John Kerry lost in 2004, it seemed like he came roaring back as a much more liberal version of the guy we saw in the campaign, possibly the guy he was all along (as Republicans put it, the most liberal politician in the Senate).

Cory didn't lose anything but the establishment he was pretty cozy with certainly did.

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost

NumberLast posted:

If Trump is our by 2020, what's the possibility Pence faces a primary challenge? What's the likelihood he wins?

That really depends on why he was out. If he quits, then pence is prob the assumed frontrunner. If he is out because large parts of his coalition turn on him(say, for not building the wall or when his tax cuts don't improve the economy immediately), then it could be another clusterfuck of a primary and who knows at this point how that would turn out.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

NumberLast posted:

If Trump is our by 2020, what's the possibility Pence faces a primary challenge? What's the likelihood he wins?

Pence is liked in conservative circles and can actually do the job. Normally I'd say he wouldn't face much challenge in the primary, but we live in a reality where Ted Cruz still stalks the Earth.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Railing Kill posted:

Other than the state taking a nose dive while he was in office, isn't this kind of why Ventura didn't run for re-election?

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
If it's Pence vs some dem in 2020 it's going to be full-on culture war.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Ace of Baes posted:

I think if Tulsi runs (assuming that means Bernie doesn't) shell end up becoming the first woman president. She already has the Bernie base behind her and being a vet will def help defer some of the misogyny a typical female candidate might face, same with Tammy Duckworth.

If the DNC pushes Corey Booker and gets him were hosed.

tulsi is a cultist weirdo who hates islam

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

Concerned Citizen posted:

Lol

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Concerned Citizen posted:

Tell me more about Hinduism CC just let it out hang out bro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Bernie old
Tulsi kinda crazy
Cory trying too hard to be obama

So what you're trying to say is... go Duckworth??

• Locked thread