Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Maarek posted:

People on SA might obsess over this poo poo but I promise you the people in Wisconsin, MI, and PA who made Trump president would not. They have bigger fish to fry.

well i sure as hell dont care, and, heck, even like Sanders more for having done it.

but man if you think that patriotic, love-it-or-leave-it middle America doesnt care about that kind of thing, youre waaay off the mark

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Your posts are really boring.

I don't think I've ever seen Covok contribute anything meaningful to a thread. All they do is white noise poo poo post for some reason.

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.
While yeah they did their best to put their thumb on the scale at the DNC the primary wasn't rigged. The primary system is set up in a way that makes it very hard for a Bernie Sanders to beat a Hillary Clinton in the first place. The demographics of the primary also skew older and favor establishment figures, especially when you take into account closed primaries. A majority of people who vote in Democratic primaries were almost certainly going to pick Clinton over Sanders, the problem is that those people don't get to the pick the President in November.

paranoid randroid posted:

well i sure as hell dont care, and, heck, even like Sanders more for having done it.

but man if you think that patriotic, love-it-or-leave-it middle America doesnt care about that kind of thing, youre waaay off the mark

I live in patriotic, love-it-or-leave-it middle America and we give a poo poo about health insurance premiums and depressed wages a billion times more than that poo poo.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Where has this emote been my whole (last eight months of) life

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 53 minutes!

zegermans posted:

lol maybe if bernouts put as much effort into electing their candidate as they do smugging in this thread he wouldn't have lost so badly.

You can't dismiss the Sanders oppo with "BUT TRUMP" because facts didn't apply to Trump like they would to politicians.

You also can't prove a counterfactual but that hasn't stopped them from trying.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
Perhaps I'm just too :swoon: over the Berninator, but I really think his response to most of those attacks against his character would effectively be "yeah, I have made mistakes in the past, but I've learned and grown (insert conciliatory poo poo here) and now my entire focus is on helping to rebuild the working class in America. My opponents would rather spend their time trying to assassinate my character, while i'm focusing on the issues facing the American people"

Clinton rarely did that, and people noticed.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Maarek posted:

It's cool that being insanely wrong about everything for almost a year leading right up to November 8th hasn't shaken your confidence in your opinions, Main Paineframe. My new years resolution is definitely gonna be to try to develop that kind of self-belief.

Well, after watching everyone else be wrong about everything for sixteen straight years, it's pretty easy to have that kind of confidence. The left has been living in a fantasyland since the Bush administration, and judging from how easily the party leadership is taking them for a ride right now, there's no sign that's going to change.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

i think it would have absolutely hurt him by making the mushball middle get all bummed out about the death of civility and compromise etc etc and lead to them sulking in their rooms on election day, much like we got in this bullshit reality

Probably right

He probably woulda like campaigned in michigan or pa some tho lol all hypothetical at this point but who knows what cancels out what in that Berniverse

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Maarek posted:

While yeah they did their best to put their thumb on the scale at the DNC the primary wasn't rigged. The primary system is set up in a way that makes it very hard for a Bernie Sanders to beat a Hillary Clinton in the first place. The demographics of the primary also skew older and favor establishment figures, especially when you take into account closed primaries. A majority of people who vote in Democratic primaries were almost certainly going to pick Clinton over Sanders, the problem is that those people don't get to the pick the President in November.

In a sense they kind of did, though.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

zegermans posted:

lol maybe if bernouts put as much effort into electing their candidate as they do smugging in this thread he wouldn't have lost so badly.

Sanders was a better candidate and Sanderistas are better shitposters

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

zxqv8 posted:

Perhaps I'm just too :swoon: over the Berninator, but I really think his response to most of those attacks against his character would effectively be "yeah, I have made mistakes in the past, but I've learned and grown (insert conciliatory poo poo here) and now my entire focus is on helping to rebuild the working class in America. My opponents would rather spend their time trying to assassinate my character, while i'm focusing on the issues facing the American people"

This is actually how he responds irl, minus the recognition of the character assassination bit

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

I think both candidates had serious flaws that Trump could have beaten both with the same message. Plus while Clinton was boring as poo poo, am I the only one whose eyes glazed over by late February when Sanders recited his same stump speech for the 10 millionth time in response to literally any question asked of him?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 53 minutes!

Main Paineframe posted:

Well, after watching everyone else be wrong about everything for sixteen straight years, it's pretty easy to have that kind of confidence. The left has been living in a fantasyland since the Bush administration, and judging from how easily the party leadership is taking them for a ride right now, there's no sign that's going to change.

What do you mean by this?

Business Gorillas posted:

Sanders was a better candidate and Sanderistas are better shitposters

To be fair, you've had about six extra months to practice.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Potato Salad posted:

Where has this emote been my whole (last eight months of) life

I imagine cspam. I found it while looking for the Bernie henget

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

crazy cloud posted:

Probably right

He probably woulda like campaigned in michigan or pa some tho lol all hypothetical at this point but who knows what cancels out what in that Berniverse

i think the mistake a lot of Sanders hypothetical make is putting too much faith in the idea that good things happen.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Main Paineframe posted:

The problem is that these sites don't want to moderate their content, so they knowingly let gathering places for white supremacists fester without any sort of attempt to stomp them out. For example, Reddit isn't becoming right-wing and racist. It was always right-wing and racist, because subreddits like r/CoonTown and r/rapingwomen were open for years before Reddit finally closed them down last year after they and several other particularly notorious right-wing subreddits got a lot of press, and naturally none of the users from those subs were banned so they just spread out to other boards. Racists gather on Reddit because Reddit lets them gather there, intervening only when they attract enough bad press to make Reddit look bad.

Other social media sites, like Twitter, have a similar problem. Twitter is a shithole of rampant abuse and harassment because they largely refuse to directly do anything about the abuse and the harassment, except for occasionally applying light punishments to particularly loud people if a celebrity or media figure complains too much. In most cases, these sites never invested in resources or procedures for stopping abuse and offensiveness. They figured everyone would just silo themselves off into friend-groups where they'd only see things they approved of, and use the user-available tools like blocking or downvoting to get rid of isolated bad actors who try to invade those silos, and if anyone asked "hey, why are you allowing open racists on your site" they'd just justify it with some bullshit about free speech.

Fixing the discourse on social media can't be a bottom-up thing, it has to come from the top. If the company itself is willing to let identified white supremacists roam all over their site harassing and abusing people, there's hardly anything the users can do about that besides self-segregating themselves away from it all.

Didn't Bernie promise to work with and cooperate with Trump? None of this "outright defiance" has shown up in my Twitter feeds. Though I guess a question like this is pointless since we live in post-truth politics where the omly thing that matters is what you want to think.

This is really optimistic. The establishment is shook, yeah, but the fact that they're all-in on Ellison within a week of the election suggests they're not thinking about real strategy changes, they're just looking for a quick-fix to placate the progressives for fear that they might bail on the Dems entirely otherwise. And apparently progressives are just as dumb as they thought, since it seems to be working. I guess that's the nice thing about catering to the 18-25 demographic - by the time they realize they got swindled, they've aged out of the demographic and been replaced by a new generation that doesn't remember it.

"Doing badly in elections"? Bill Clinton was the first Democratic president to win re-election since LBJ signed the Civil Rights Act, and the first Democratic president to serve two full terms since Roosevelt.

A very bad pessimistic post. Also, there's more elections than just the presidential one, and we've been steadily losing those as well :ssh:

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Main Paineframe posted:

A few weeks ago you were speculating about how hard it would be for the GOP to stop Clinton's second term and how the GOP was destroyed by Trump, the man who is going to be President two months from now. Your confidence is completely unearned and you should honestly be asking yourself what you actually know about the politics of this country instead of whatever the hell it is you're doing right now.

zegermans posted:

I think both candidates had serious flaws that Trump could have beaten both with the same message. Plus while Clinton was boring as poo poo, am I the only one whose eyes glazed over by late February when Sanders recited his same stump speech for the 10 millionth time in response to literally any question asked of him?

Yes, millionaire mogul Trump would have definitely beaten Bernard Sanders in a populist campaign about the economy. I agree compeltely.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

i think the mistake a lot of Sanders hypothetical make is putting too much faith in the idea that good things happen.

Iol nothing matters but it still makes a difference which direction the plinko chip goes off the first peg it hits this is my r-bomb koan of the day

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

fknlo posted:

New Eichenwald article. I think it's pretty good so far.

Just one choice quote.

Eichenwald is such a loving freak, holy hell.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

zxqv8 posted:

that's like exactly what she said about the emails and see how far that got her, it wasn't even rape fanfic

"oh trump wants to grab pussy? well sanders writes blue stories about sexual assault, they're just as bad" -moderate voters

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

zegermans posted:

Except Sanders wouldve campaigned on the very issues that won Trump the white house, while hillary alienated the people who wouldve voted for him because she refused to speak to them clearly and angrily about their issues. Sanders wouldve gotten the normal DNC votes PLUS the votes that won trump the presidency.

Listen, nobody knows what mightve happened, we're past that point it is what it is, but at the end of the day, Sanders was proven right in every, he diagnosed the problem correctly, and the mindset of clinton supporters wasnt what was needed to win the election. So it's high time that sanders and his allies took the reigns of the DNC and reshaped it to be an effective opposition against right wing populist fascism.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Nov 15, 2016

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I really don't care about if sanders would have won, but I do care about the dems actually learning the right lessons from the defeat.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

zegermans posted:

You can't dismiss the Sanders oppo with "BUT TRUMP" because facts didn't apply to Trump like they would to politicians.

Yeah those three debate questions were answered with such masterful oratory skill that it convinced 3 million more people to vote for her.

This is what an utterly defeated and bitter person sounds like. It's ok little dog, you can still be part of the NEW NEW Democratic Party.

Al-Saqr posted:

Except Sanders wouldve campaigned on the very issues that won Trump the white house, while hillary alienated the people who wouldve voted for him because she refused to speak to them clearly and angrily about their issues.

Listen, nobody knows what mightve happened it is what it is, but at the end of the day, Sanders was proven right in every regard and the mindset of clinton supporters wasnt what was needed to win the election. So it's high time that sanders and his allies took the reigns of the DNC and reshaped it to be an effective opposition against right wing populist fascism.

Agreed

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Patriotic middle America voted a black Muslim, who was cozy with a domestic terrorist into office (twice) because they believed he would actually make their lives better. I PROMISE you, that character stuff doesn't matter to them (obviously, they voted for Trump).

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Oh, nobody cares about good things happening, they just want the bad things to happen most to the people they hate.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Makes sense that Clinton supporters know what exactly makes a candidate unelectable

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

SunAndSpring posted:

Eichenwald is such a loving freak, holy hell.

i'm the lewandowski style uncontrollable urge to punch out random people who've criticized your boss

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Makes sense that Clinton supporters know what exactly makes a candidate unelectable

:drat:

Holy :lol:

Martin Random
Jul 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Did it ever occur to anyone that the current rift is because occupy wall Street, a populist economic justice movement, was systematically dismantled and turned into a social justice movement by activists interested in that instead. Occupy was the first exposure I ever really had to social justice in a protest, and I saw a lot of white working people, politically conscious for the first time, getting their first whiff of the discourse that had become central to our politics right now. They were exposed to university students introducing progressive stack to give minorities more of a voice, and all kinds of well meaning but utterly unworkable non hierarchical procedural rules governed over the lumpenproletariat by the college kids. I think that caused the rift we're seeing today, and why a certain demographic backed away and is not reengaging with the left.

A lot of the stuff done to coopt the movement severely alienated people, possibly permanently.

Then the name got changed to decolonize wall Street and the future trumpkins walked away confused, forever turned off to progressive activism.

Ring true at all to anyone?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
It seems to me that the DNC is taking all of the right steps so far toward getting their poo poo together. The fact that Hillary remains underground speaks volumes IMO.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

zxqv8 posted:

This was almost identical to her responses on both Iraq and the emails, that wasn't the problem she had. She took too much of the base for granted and on top of that failed to reach outside the base. She thought the Obama Coalition was probably too broad and thought Trump's appeal too narrow. Only a drat idiot would think "establishment good" when the establishment is failing them. She may not have been able to shed the establishment image entirely but she sure as hell could have made a better case for her career being a history of compromising with an establishment that was far more powerful then than it is now. There's almost no way to spin yourself as anti-establishment when you've been neck deep in the Washington peat bog for 30 years. Sure first woman president is a groundbreaking thing but that's a very shallow appeal when people responded so strongly to Bernie and so strongly to Trump. It was a disastrous misread of Trump's actual appeal and she should have seen it coming after her own primary fight but didn't because she thought she could coast in on novelty and loving identity politics as the near prohibitive centerpiece of her campaign even if she had great surrogates and did do some outreach to blue collar folk.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

In the event of a Bernie win in the primary, Bloomberg was going to run. Regardless of if Bernie won or not after that, the entire party would be in chaos.

At least now the DNC establishment has apparently seen the writing on the wall and/or pulling their golden parachutes

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It seems to me that the DNC is taking all of the right steps so far toward getting their poo poo together. The fact that Hillary remains underground speaks volumes IMO.

I actually agree with this.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

do you ever do anything but whine

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

icantfindaname posted:

i agree. bernie losing the primary was his fault mostly. but losing that primary did not have anywhere near the catastrophic direct consequences as losing the general

the people you should really be blaming are the DNC and Clinton camp grifters who pushed everyone but Clinton out of the race because of the smorgasbord of spoils and favors they stood to collect on if/when Clinton won

Yeah, this is pretty much the one "rigged primary" thing I am on board with. It even did a number on Martin O'Malley, fatally flawed though he was with minorities already.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Ask if s/he voted.

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

that is the funniest thing posted in this thread for pages, I think it may be you who is the no-fun haver.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

I imagine cspam. I found it while looking for the Bernie henget

Only thing shoulda been campaigned on was to make the SA smilies searchable.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I supported Clinton for being not Trump and the polls suggesting she would win, but holy gently caress if you are arguing for anything but purging her and everyone associated with this botched run you're clinically insane. She drove off 5m Democratic voters who turned out for Obama in 2012 and tried to win Texas without securing any of the swing states, holy gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Martin Random posted:

Did it ever occur to anyone that the current rift is because occupy wall Street, a populist economic justice movement, was systematically dismantled and turned into a social justice movement by activists interested in that instead. Occupy was the first exposure I ever really had to social justice in a protest, and I saw a lot of white working people, politically conscious for the first time, getting their first whiff of the discourse that had become central to our politics right now. They were exposed to university students introducing progressive stack to give minorities more of a voice, and all kinds of well meaning but utterly unworkable non hierarchical procedural rules governed over the lumpenproletariat by the college kids. I think that caused the rift we're seeing today, and why a certain demographic backed away and is not reengaging with the left.

A lot of the stuff done to coopt the movement severely alienated people, possibly permanently.

Then the name got changed to decolonize wall Street and the future trumpkins walked away confused, forever turned off to progressive activism.

Ring true at all to anyone?

I'm pretty sure there's a term for a bunch of white yuppies taking over a diverse area and forcing the original tenants out

• Locked thread