Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
mainland boys are incapable of peeing without mommy's help until the age of 18 and even after that it's still a crap shoot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Darkman Fanpage posted:

mainland boys are incapable of peeing without mommy's help until the age of 18 and even after that it's still a crap shoot.

I thought grandma was the one doing it most of the time.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

Haier posted:

http://imgur.com/a/WAROS

An album of a bit coin mining operation in rural China. LMAO

loving :lol: buttcoins. Is there anything so perfectly :china:?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

They're popular as a money laundering method/way of getting money out of China, from my understanding. Also get rich quick schemes are always huge over here.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
That kid pisses the way I do in a naked, drunken depression. Hands down, shoulders slumped, aimlessly.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
what do chinese people find funny

what makes the heavenly kingdom...laugh..

is sarcasm a thing in china?

slapstick?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Slapstick and puns are the most common humor in China and Korea. Chinese people are pretty sarcastic, though it often doesn't translate in a way that's funny.

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

I feel like this is usually guaranteed success

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
and yeah they basically have the perfect language for puns too

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZMF0Br67Jk

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Invisible Handjob posted:

and yeah they basically have the perfect language for puns too

i thought those were illegal now

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
what are chinese weddings like? like is it expected to spend a huge amount of money to show how important you are? would a a wedding on the cheap be very face lose worthy?? i've been to some pretty sad American weddings, like they didn't even try sad.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
Me - didn't eat all day.
Buy a humongous dinner and take it home.
Sit down to eat at 22:30, but whatever. I earned this.
Knock at my door.
What the gently caress?
Open it.
It's "Impromptu" girl. That's her favorite word.
She comes inside.
"I wanted to be impromptu tonight."
"I'm full as hell. Are you kidding me?"
Point to bloated stomach.
"Can I take a shower?"
She takes a shower, and midway through opens the door.
"I WANT TO DIE!"
Closes the door.
I'm eating and not caring how bloated and gassy I am going to get.
She comes out.
"LOOK!"
Holds up bloody underwear.
"MY MENSES CAME."
LOL
"Oh really? I am soooo sorry to hear that. I'm really upset we can't make love tonight, dear."
Not sorry at all.
I feel happy, and am scarfing without care.

She's at the convenience store buying pads right now.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Pon de Bundy posted:

what are chinese weddings like? like is it expected to spend a huge amount of money to show how important you are? would a a wedding on the cheap be very face lose worthy?? i've been to some pretty sad American weddings, like they didn't even try sad.

Depends on the region and family back ground

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
Is it common for Korean moms to sleep with their kids well into their preteen years? Because my gfs kids are four and seven, and they fight over who gets to sleep with their mom and cry if she tries to sleep alone or go out at night. That seems, um, like a really good way to raise some over dependent kids. I feel like the lack of privacy in the bedroom may also have contributed to her divorce from her (European) ex.

I asked my Korean American landlords if they did that as kids, and they both nonchalantly answered that they slept with their moms until they were 11/12. I guess they turned out fine, at least?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Haier posted:

I just like how ambivalent or uncaring Chinese people are about masks. It's like those teenagers who think they are too cool to wear helmets while riding bikes/motorcycles because they don't want to mess up their hair, but at least those people know they are being stupid while the average Chinese just think it's dumb to wear a mask.

It looks dumb as gently caress but I'd consider it if I lived in a major Chinese city

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Pon de Bundy posted:

I've been to 6 weddings, so I am not really a master or anything, but usually they are relatively extravagant but the expectation at least to the ones I went to is you'll get enough money in red envelopes to pay back the wedding and make a tidy profit

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
So how much do the little surgical masks really do for pollution? I assume "not a lot" but I see lots of people wearing them while biking or riding scooters here (not China) and fewer-but-still-some people wearing them on scooters in Bangkok (maybe China someday later)

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Pon de Bundy posted:

Well in good China they're all pomp and circumstance.

In the morning the groom and his party are collected by the bride's family and brought to their home. There are a series of trials the groom and his groomsmen must pass in order to earn the hand of the bride. The trials are rigged and have "hilarious" consequences, like kissing the bride's brother. Then there are pictures. So many pictures.

I think there is supposed to be a tea ceremony at some point where the bride travels to the groom's parents' home and serves them to demonstrate her domestics abilities, but we skipped that since my parents were staying in a lovely hotel. There are probably also religious bits but I declined to incorporate that into my wedding.

Anyway, in the afternoon you host a banquet and a wedding hall and all of your friends and family attend as well as local politicians who want to get photos with the white guy. Everyone hands over a red envelope before being seated and then everyone but the bride and groom are served a traditional Chinese feast of bad sushi, bird's nest, pork knuckle, etc. My wife literally was given a 便當 to eat in the back room. Meanwhile there are more ceremonial bits like the father of the bride handing off his daughter, the bride and groom being introduced on stage and jointly pouring fake champagne down a tower of glasses that aren't served, and then they go from table to table toasting all the guests and thanking them for attending. The guests drink bad wine (at my wedding it was literally called Obama Vintage which drove my Trump supporting father nuts) and the groom is closely monitored to make sure his glass is filled with tea so as not to embarrass himself (this was literally a policy of the wedding hall). The bride also changes dresses like three times. Mine went with red, white, and blue because yeehaw.

Afterwards, the bride and groom give cakes and cookies to each group of guests as they leave and take photos with each person who attended.

Somehow her loanshark dodging uncles got trashed but since there was only a single bottle of wine at each table we have no idea how. We suspect flasks of baijiu were involved. My dad at least brought a handle of Jack, but it was shared by like a dozen waiguoren so it didn't last long. My wife's mother runs a shop and actually stocked up on six boxes of beer, like the kind that hold 12 large bottles, but the staff of the wedding hall forgot to bring them out and I was too busy to think about it. We ended up drinking then while waiting for rides back into town.

Then we all went on a pub crawl in her tiny rear end town which consisted of her mom's shop, the new bar where the old bar used to be, and the place the old bar moved to. We got trashed and sang Bohemian Rhapsody despite there being no karaoke or music, as is the way of our people.

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost

Pirate Radar posted:

So how much do the little surgical masks really do for pollution? I assume "not a lot" but I see lots of people wearing them while biking or riding scooters here (not China) and fewer-but-still-some people wearing them on scooters in Bangkok (maybe China someday later)

Surgical masks do next to nothing. they are designed to protect the mouth/nose and open wounds from getting fluids transfered between them, not to filter air of anything but the largest particulates.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

TsarZiedonis posted:

Is it common for Korean moms to sleep with their kids well into their preteen years? Because my gfs kids are four and seven, and they fight over who gets to sleep with their mom and cry if she tries to sleep alone or go out at night. That seems, um, like a really good way to raise some over dependent kids. I feel like the lack of privacy in the bedroom may also have contributed to her divorce from her (European) ex.

I asked my Korean American landlords if they did that as kids, and they both nonchalantly answered that they slept with their moms until they were 11/12. I guess they turned out fine, at least?

Co-sleeping with children is very common in non-Western countries; in Korea, it's very common for mothers to sleep with their kids on futons on the floor until they reach a certain age. I'm not sure if up to 11/12 is ideal, but studies have shown that co-sleeping actually allows kids to be more independent and autonomous because those kids have boosted self esteem and confidence due to a fulfillment of their needs of attention, attachment, and human contact.

Also it's super easy to co-sleep in Korea because only recently have beds become the norm; before you would just toss down a futon and sleep on the ground, and then pack up the futon after you wake up in the morning. That's also why super clean floors and taking off your shoes before you enter a home are a thing.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009

kimcicle posted:

Co-sleeping with children is very common in non-Western countries; in Korea, it's very common for mothers to sleep with their kids on futons on the floor until they reach a certain age. I'm not sure if up to 11/12 is ideal, but studies have shown that co-sleeping actually allows kids to be more independent and autonomous because those kids have boosted self esteem and confidence due to a fulfillment of their needs of attention, attachment, and human contact.

Also it's super easy to co-sleep in Korea because only recently have beds become the norm; before you would just toss down a futon and sleep on the ground, and then pack up the futon after you wake up in the morning. That's also why super clean floors and taking off your shoes before you enter a home are a thing.

Huh, I never thought of it that way. That's actually pretty fascinating, thanks!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Invisible Handjob posted:

I've been to 6 weddings, so I am not really a master or anything, but usually they are relatively extravagant but the expectation at least to the ones I went to is you'll get enough money in red envelopes to pay back the wedding and make a tidy profit

Do they usually dress up in tuxedos and wedding gowns, or more traditional clothing?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Pead posted:

Surgical masks do next to nothing. they are designed to protect the mouth/nose and open wounds from getting fluids transfered between them, not to filter air of anything but the largest particulates.
Are there... I don't know the word for what it would be, but are there like passive filtering masks designed to handle smaller particulates than surgical masks that are sold to people who don't want an actual gas mask but want something that isn't completely useless?

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Phlegmish posted:

Do they usually dress up in tuxedos and wedding gowns, or more traditional clothing?

at least the ones I've gone to have been tuxedo and wedding gowns. usually some red is pinned onto the clothing for a traditional element though

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
that includes my own wedding too

my mother in law was chill as gently caress even though she's super traditional and said it was pretty ridiculous for me to have to pay bride price since I was a laowai and it wasn't my culture(I met my wife in the US though)

nothing like that has ever happened in her family and I thought it was pretty generous of her. we made an assload of money at our wedding, and gave the extra profit to brother in law to start up a business. ended up with an extravagant wedding for free and everybody was happy. it's been like ten years and I'm still super close with my in laws, more than my own family. worked out pretty good

it is definitely a giant transaction though

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I can't even imagine air pollution with a AQI of 100+. I looked up info for where I live and it almost never goes over 10 unless there's a forest fire or something. The worst I've ever been in are some large european cities where it can get into the 50-100 range on a real bad day. It's apparently 999 Delhi right now and not much better in Mexico city. China seems universally at at least 250-300 minimum with huge spikes here and there.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Are there... I don't know the word for what it would be, but are there like passive filtering masks designed to handle smaller particulates than surgical masks that are sold to people who don't want an actual gas mask but want something that isn't completely useless?

These 3m masks are pretty good for that

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
It seems "You are not an expert" gets thrown around a lot. Would much face be lost if you said "Actually I literally am and from *prestigious university* too."

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Pirate Radar posted:

They do nothing. Also the air in the buildings isn't much different from the air outside. It's not like magic and the air is suddenly clean inside.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The best part of Chinese weddings is they are short, and the moment the ceremony is done food comes out so nobody is griping about not eating for hours.

The worst part is people whose families pressure them to do things like have their dads boss give the wedding speech.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Good western weddings are structured that way too. White people who have long formal ceremonies then a huge wait for food are just scum garbage.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Haier posted:

The AQI was 225 this morning, and about 190 where I live right now. The air is brown and looks like nasty fog and tastes like car exhaust fumes. I am wearing a filtered pollution mask.

Chinese person: "Why are you wearing a mask?"
Me: "Because the air pollution is bad and I want to keep my health" (Yes, I live in China, kinda pointless)
Chinese: "It looks fine to me, I don't notice any pollution."
Me: "You can't see the haze?"
Chinese: "Just winter weather. You don't need a mask." (It's 87F/30C today, with a heat index of 37C/98F)
Me: "I trust the machines to tell me if I need one or not. You're not scientist."
Chinese: "Neither are you!"

face_loss.bmp

yo why didn't you say that you are a scientist

just walk around saying youre whatever you want to be an expert in, it works for everyone else apparently

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
A scientist wouldn't even bother because he is of such a higher station and bothering to do so would lessen him and lose face.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Haier posted:

Me - didn't eat all day.
Buy a humongous dinner and take it home.
Sit down to eat at 22:30, but whatever. I earned this.
Knock at my door.
What the gently caress?
Open it.
It's "Impromptu" girl. That's her favorite word.

Tell me more about Impromptu Girl

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

yo why didn't you say that you are a scientist

just walk around saying youre whatever you want to be an expert in, it works for everyone else apparently

If you were a scientist, would you be in China?
Like, for having the most people in the world, China produces around 0% of research?

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Atlas Hugged posted:

Well in good China they're all pomp and circumstance.

In the morning the groom and his party are collected by the bride's family and brought to their home. There are a series of trials the groom and his groomsmen must pass in order to earn the hand of the bride. The trials are rigged and have "hilarious" consequences, like kissing the bride's brother. Then there are pictures. So many pictures.

I think there is supposed to be a tea ceremony at some point where the bride travels to the groom's parents' home and serves them to demonstrate her domestics abilities, but we skipped that since my parents were staying in a lovely hotel. There are probably also religious bits but I declined to incorporate that into my wedding.

Anyway, in the afternoon you host a banquet and a wedding hall and all of your friends and family attend as well as local politicians who want to get photos with the white guy. Everyone hands over a red envelope before being seated and then everyone but the bride and groom are served a traditional Chinese feast of bad sushi, bird's nest, pork knuckle, etc. My wife literally was given a 便當 to eat in the back room. Meanwhile there are more ceremonial bits like the father of the bride handing off his daughter, the bride and groom being introduced on stage and jointly pouring fake champagne down a tower of glasses that aren't served, and then they go from table to table toasting all the guests and thanking them for attending. The guests drink bad wine (at my wedding it was literally called Obama Vintage which drove my Trump supporting father nuts) and the groom is closely monitored to make sure his glass is filled with tea so as not to embarrass himself (this was literally a policy of the wedding hall). The bride also changes dresses like three times. Mine went with red, white, and blue because yeehaw.

Afterwards, the bride and groom give cakes and cookies to each group of guests as they leave and take photos with each person who attended.

Somehow her loanshark dodging uncles got trashed but since there was only a single bottle of wine at each table we have no idea how. We suspect flasks of baijiu were involved. My dad at least brought a handle of Jack, but it was shared by like a dozen waiguoren so it didn't last long. My wife's mother runs a shop and actually stocked up on six boxes of beer, like the kind that hold 12 large bottles, but the staff of the wedding hall forgot to bring them out and I was too busy to think about it. We ended up drinking then while waiting for rides back into town.

Then we all went on a pub crawl in her tiny rear end town which consisted of her mom's shop, the new bar where the old bar used to be, and the place the old bar moved to. We got trashed and sang Bohemian Rhapsody despite there being no karaoke or music, as is the way of our people.

Ahh full of retarded pomp and circumstance like an Albanian wedding . Mazeltov

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

TsarZiedonis posted:

Is it common for Korean moms to sleep with their kids well into their preteen years?
Anecdotal, like everything in this thread, but my boss's daughter still sleeps in bed with her parents multiple times per week, and she's almost 12 or something. Apparently during her summer vacation she didn't sleep in her own bed once.

MrSlam posted:

Tell me more about Impromptu Girl
She's impromptu, and that's the word she uses and I don't know where she learned it. She's the very definition of it, giving little to no notice of showing up. I think she does it on purpose to see if I am alone or not. She'll say "I am really busy, I can't see you this week," and then a few hours later message me that she's on the train coming to my house without asking what I am doing or where I am. Then we stay up until 2am talking and then her alarm goes off at 7am and she complains she never sleeps enough here. I tell her to come on the weekends, but she keeps coming on her work days. She knew about every other woman I had and is really against the idea of FWB, but then is an FWB in every sense of it and always says "I am single, you are single, no big deal." We always joke about logic being poor in China but it works out sometimes.

Last night we were laying there and she said "Do you know what I want to learn? Smoking! I think it looks so cool!" I told her it will make her look like an old wrinkled leather handbag and she said she will reconsider it.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Haier posted:

Anecdotal, like everything in this thread, but my boss's daughter still sleeps in bed with her parents multiple times per week, and she's almost 12 or something. Apparently during her summer vacation she didn't sleep in her own bed once.

I had a korean friend who still occasionally slept in her parents' bed at like 25. I also dated more than one woman older than 30 with a 10 pm curfew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Pon de Bundy posted:

Boring as gently caress. You just sit and eat and smoke, I've been to around 10 at this point, and none had any games, music or fun, just sitting and eating, drinking and smoking. Cheap wedding is indeed a massive loss of face which was hilarious when my wife and I told her parents we wanted a cheap wedding lol.

• Locked thread